Donkey Kong Country Returns Page 9

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Next
  • MrSemprini 26 Jul 2011 23:02:13 9,449 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:I also find that the controls can hinder progress sometimes (if only they'd allowed for the use of the classic controller).

Install homebrew and you can use it. What Nintendo denies, the community delivers.
  • kentmonkey 26 Jul 2011 23:06:00 20,924 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmmm, interesting. I'm sure it would be so much more enjoyable with that control method.
  • trip919 27 Jul 2011 20:57:13 2,274 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Indeed getting 100% off of each level can be a lesson in frustration. Some of the levels are built brilliantly, with excellent challenge and stupidly excellent design. Others are...not. Others are 'I want to bash the fucking developers over the head with the Wiimote' frustrating as they require manouverability that ol' DK just hasn't really been blessed with in order to reach some of the collectibles. I also find that the controls can hinder progress sometimes (if only they'd allowed for the use of the classic controller).

I do like it, in fact I love it, but I could have done without some of the frustration on some of the levels.

FWIW, I don't find 'Splosion Man difficult, I'm top of the world leaderboard in Defense Grid, and I'm pretty good at pretty much whatever I play. So either I'm incredibly shit on some of the levels in DK, or the developers can be bludgeoned with a banana for making me use such colourful language around Diddy.

I've just got all the Kong letters and they were no harder than doing the levels initially (in fact, even easier as I know all the levels now). I've got to say in all my time playing the controls have never been an issue and I've been able to obtain all the items I've aimed to. Perhaps, your issues stem from getting the puzzle pieces? Don't know whether I'll bother with those as the rewards don't seem good enough (although I might give time trial a whirl).

Opened up all the K levels with only three more to complete and they are bastard hard. The first one was a stiff challenge whereas two-four came easily enough. The one in world five has to be the most evil level in the entire game Ive come close a fair few times but it's still eluding me!
  • MrVengeance 28 Jul 2011 21:09:37 135 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    trip919 wrote:
    MrVengeance wrote:
    I'd say your experience of playing the SNES games has stuck to you mate! Pretty much everyone else has had their ass kicked repeatedly at this by the end of the third stage!

Well done anyway, you've clearly got some great gaming skills going on.

Well I haven't done 100% yet like Kent says (only the first few worlds) perhaps that's where the real challenge lies?

For me personally I wouldn't have enjoyed this as much if it was a cakewalk as it so closely resembles the Snes trilogy, I think the old school difficulty suits it well.

I haven't played a 2D DK platformer since the first Game Boy DK Land, so my skills weren't great in this to start with. Once I finished the game I found it much easier to get through stages that I had previously had difficulty with, as I had gained the skills to do so.

I suppose my problem was the fact that there were some very harsh difficulty spikes throughout the game (mostly the barrel, collapsing platform and minecart stages) and the general difficulty on first playing the game kind of made it less fun than it should have been at times. However, as I progressed through the game it was a lot more enjoyable as the difficulty didn't really go up further than was present in World 3, which was good. I thoroughly enjoyed stages from World 4 to 8, in particular the stunning World 6.

For me then, a reasonably skilled gamer in general, I would have preferred an easier game all round. I think there should have been a a difficulty select at the start. I'm delighted that an experienced DK player like yourself has enjoyed the game and been challenged by it, at least to a degree, but I do believe that both regular and expereinced DK players should have been catered for. Once a regular player like me beat the game on a lower difficulty, we would have had the skills to tackle the game on a setting that you would have been able for from the get-go.

As it stands, I really do love the game, even with my gripes regarding the difficulty. I just wish that levels that should have been more fun the first time around, like the mine-carts, had of allowed me to take a few hits before failing for example.

Its an 8/10 game for me, and one of my favourite on the system, but it would have been a 9 if it had been bettr balanced I feel.

• trip919 30 Jul 2011 22:40:34 2,274 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    MrVengeance wrote:
    trip919 wrote:
    MrVengeance wrote:
    I'd say your experience of playing the SNES games has stuck to you mate! Pretty much everyone else has had their ass kicked repeatedly at this by the end of the third stage!

Well done anyway, you've clearly got some great gaming skills going on.

Well I haven't done 100% yet like Kent says (only the first few worlds) perhaps that's where the real challenge lies?

For me personally I wouldn't have enjoyed this as much if it was a cakewalk as it so closely resembles the Snes trilogy, I think the old school difficulty suits it well.

I haven't played a 2D DK platformer since the first Game Boy DK Land, so my skills weren't great in this to start with. Once I finished the game I found it much easier to get through stages that I had previously had difficulty with, as I had gained the skills to do so.

I suppose my problem was the fact that there were some very harsh difficulty spikes throughout the game (mostly the barrel, collapsing platform and minecart stages) and the general difficulty on first playing the game kind of made it less fun than it should have been at times. However, as I progressed through the game it was a lot more enjoyable as the difficulty didn't really go up further than was present in World 3, which was good. I thoroughly enjoyed stages from World 4 to 8, in particular the stunning World 6.

For me then, a reasonably skilled gamer in general, I would have preferred an easier game all round. I think there should have been a a difficulty select at the start. I'm delighted that an experienced DK player like yourself has enjoyed the game and been challenged by it, at least to a degree, but I do believe that both regular and expereinced DK players should have been catered for. Once a regular player like me beat the game on a lower difficulty, we would have had the skills to tackle the game on a setting that you would have been able for from the get-go.

As it stands, I really do love the game, even with my gripes regarding the difficulty. I just wish that levels that should have been more fun the first time around, like the mine-carts, had of allowed me to take a few hits before failing for example.

Its an 8/10 game for me, and one of my favourite on the system, but it would have been a 9 if it had been bettr balanced I feel.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from in regards to difficulty not everyone is going to appreciate it given how most games are easier/have difficulty selection these days. Personally it felt to me like I was just catching up with an old friend and as nice as that was, I feel conflicted over it. I think it's a great game but I would've liked for them to stamp down their personality a bit more and perhaps taken a few more risks with the template. As it stands it's more like a continuation and love letter to the series rather than a radical departure. I'd recommend it to anyone after some old school fun or people that missed the ones that came before.
  • ResidentKnievel 30 Jul 2011 23:17:34 6,289 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    trip919 wrote:I'd recommend it to anyone after some old school fun or people that missed the ones that came before.

Definitely, I never played any of the original DK games, this, to me, is one of the best games I've ever played.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• MrVengeance 30 Jul 2011 23:19:16 135 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I enjoyed it trip as it felt fresh to me - likely as a result of me having only played the firs Donkey Kong Land on the Game Boy and the unoriginal, but excellent Donkey Kong 64. However, I can see your point about it being a love-letter to what has gone before - that sense of old-school 2D platforming design from way back when prevails in its gameplay from start to finish.
  • trip919 31 Jul 2011 00:22:47 2,274 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @ResidentKnievel

Yeah, if you've never played a DK game before I can see why this would knock your socks off!

@MrVengeance

I've never actually played the ones on the GB but I've now got an itch to, I think I'll hunt those down. Also, I agree DK 64 was a good game but it also represents Rare at their worst in terms of collectables - they definitely went overboard!
  • Deleted user 31 July 2011 20:34:29
    Loved this. Didn't finish it, got most of he way through the penultimate world.
  • Jono62 31 Jul 2011 23:07:50 14,356 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    trip919 wrote:
    Jono62 wrote:
    You need to complete the K levels to get to the golden temple. You don't need the puzzle pieces.

Ahh. Cheers. How many levels are in the golden temple or is it not levels at all?

Just one level which is pretty sedate.

What K level are you doing? The one with the rising water?
  • trip919 2 Aug 2011 18:09:36 2,274 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    trip919 wrote:
    Jono62 wrote:
    You need to complete the K levels to get to the golden temple. You don't need the puzzle pieces.

Ahh. Cheers. How many levels are in the golden temple or is it not levels at all?

Just one level which is pretty sedate.

What K level are you doing? The one with the rising water?

No, the one with all the barrels - it's evil beyond belief. Then it's the last two, I can get right near the end of all three of them but I haven't pushed to get them done as I haven't played it recently as I've been busy with other things but I think I'll have a crack at them soon as I want to see this final level!
  • MrVengeance 3 Aug 2011 00:24:28 135 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    trip919 wrote:
    @ResidentKnievel

Yeah, if you've never played a DK game before I can see why this would knock your socks off!

@MrVengeance

I've never actually played the ones on the GB but I've now got an itch to, I think I'll hunt those down. Also, I agree DK 64 was a good game but it also represents Rare at their worst in terms of collectables - they definitely went overboard!

I was burning out a bit on the old 3D platformers by the time DK64 came out - great as it was.

By the time the N64 was finished as a viable platform, I really had had my fill, so much so that I just could get all that far into the stunning Banjo-Tooie. I still have it and need to get back to it some day to finish. It really is an astounding looking game considering the hardware it is running on.

N64 is a mighty machine for great games.
  • Binny 16 Jan 2012 22:32:11 187 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just started this at long last and I just have to say what a bloody brilliant game it is. Over 50% in already & it just gets better & better. Retro have done an even better job than Rare. One of the best platform games I've ever played & one of the best games on the system.
  • Pinky_Floyd 16 Jan 2012 22:36:55 8,336 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I would buy it if it wasn't still 35 quid.
  • Binny 16 Jan 2012 22:45:53 187 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tell me about it, ended up buying a used copy off E-bay for 25 in the end due to the high prices in game shops/ online. Shame really because the developers deserve the money but I just could not justify paying full price for a game that's over a year old. That's Nintendo games for ya, they hold there value.

Edited by Binny at 22:46:31 16-01-2012
  • Pinky_Floyd 16 Jan 2012 23:39:28 8,336 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Their.

/nazi salute
  • pistol 7 Feb 2012 11:31:28 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Been playing this a little of late and really enjoying it.

Childhood coming flooding back.
  • FuzzyDuck 7 Feb 2012 11:53:24 4,894 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @pistol

I'm up to the last world and it's absolutely fantastic.

Made me nostalgic for the original DKC, so i fired that up on an emulator last night... DKCR is actually by far the better game too!

What control setup are you using? I play with the Wii Remote held horizontally. It's not great for doing rolls, so my timetrial runs ain't too hot.
  • xandaca 7 Feb 2012 17:31:24 444 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just finished this last month, having unlocked but not played any Mirror Mode. The platforming sections are terrific, very challenging and really inventive for the most part, although the vehicle levels (rockets, minecart etc) are mostly just annoying. Any level that is more about learning a sequence rather than using your own skill gets old quickly and could do with being ditched for the sequel. I know minecarts are part of DKC tradition, but they're definitely the worst part. Motion controls are fiddly too, and I usually like them. 7/10 game for me.

Edited by xandaca at 17:33:51 07-02-2012
  • pratty 7 Feb 2012 21:43:28 268 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm playing this at the moment too, I prefer remote and nunchuck for the waggly bits.

It's a superb game that just seems to get better and better, the level design is superb.
  • Silvermoth 6 Mar 2012 10:56:06 46 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's a brilliant game. Great to play with my sister
  • ElectricDemon 25 Mar 2012 15:03:28 2,417 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That giant bat that shoots lasers is going to make me kill someone, just burned through a good 30 or so lives trying to survive that bit and also nab the G - ARRRGH!!
  • Gitsmith 25 Mar 2012 16:51:19 223 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Silvermoth wrote:
    It's a brilliant game. Great to play with my sister
    Agreed. I've had a lot of fun with your sister.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 19:25:14
    Finally!!! managed to get the Classic Controller working with this, and thank fuck, the game is SOOOOO much better, the roll is actually useful for making long jumps which I never knew about due to the controls for it being awful.

Anyway if anyone has the homebrew channel installed and needs help with the PAL version setting up classic controller it's easy to just drop the files to the SD card and launch the game through gecko.
  • freaxgamer 17 May 2013 16:10:46 1,604 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is this a actual 3D Platformer or is just 2.5D side scroll all the way through?
  • kinky_mong 17 May 2013 16:42:21 10,866 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sidescroller all the way through.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Next