Donkey Kong Country Returns Page 7

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Deleted user 30 December 2010 23:52:10
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Game of the year for me. By a bloody mile. Love it.

Yeh but you're a monkey, and probably biased.
  • kinky_mong 31 Dec 2010 00:36:29 10,426 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    gah the damn down button is doing my head in. Im on 4-3, bombs away, which requires you to sit down in your mine car alot, so fustrating when you are pressing down, and either a) donkey doesn't go down, or b) you press down, he goes down, but pops back out and then you die. repeatedly. I got this level, 3/4 memerorised , just having the lttle bit of luck you need to scrape through which is so far eluding me. I am loving this game though.

So glad I'm not the only person to notice this! When I replayed that level to get the KONG letters I missed there was one but where DK kept popping his head up and dying EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I thought my controller had broken but it worked properly when I tried again later.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• rock27gr 31 Dec 2010 00:46:17 5,586 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Greggywocky... wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Game of the year for me. By a bloody mile. Love it.

Yeh but you're a monkey, and probably biased.

Down with this monkey business!
  • Fletche 31 Dec 2010 09:05:02 3,418 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This game is excellent in co-op, Mrs Fletche, whilst liking a few games, is not what you would call an avid gamer but she loves this and she isn't too bad at all, got me out of a few scrapes anyway. Up to area 4 and where gaming is concerned this is the most fun I have had with Mrs Fletche all year.
  • famous_roy 31 Dec 2010 19:10:29 4,102 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Up to the gorgeous cave world, so far it's an absolute masterclass in gaming. Hits that nostalgia nerve but also really refreshes the series and in many ways improves on the formula. Minor thing, but I love the fact each area has it's own arrangement of the original overworld theme. Little touches like that, ingenious level design, set pieces and pretty much the best graphics on the Wii just make it an insta-classic for me.

On par with SMG2, says it all really!

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• Deleted user 31 December 2010 19:16:02
    famous_roy wrote:
    Up to the gorgeous cave world, so far it's an absolute masterclass in gaming. Hits that nostalgia nerve but also really refreshes the series and in many ways improves on the formula. Minor thing, but I love the fact each area has it's own arrangement of the original overworld theme. Little touches like that, ingenious level design, set pieces and pretty much the best graphics on the Wii just make it an insta-classic for me.

On par with SMG2, says it all really!

100% agree with everything you have said, insta-classic no doubt!

Just imagine if it was released during the 16bit era, it would of been considered a genre definer. In fact, it probably is.
  • famous_roy 31 Dec 2010 20:17:58 4,102 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thing is I've loved the series for years, DKC2 was just staggering after the original, but I agree that if DKCR had been released in the 16 bit era (in the 16bit style of course!) it would be heralded a classic. Hopefully Retro will be given the chance to continue the reboot, I'd happily play many more of their entries into the DKC series. Roll on DKCR2!

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• AceGrace 31 Dec 2010 21:14:05 1,186 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    it is very good but suffers from that achilles heel of play mechanics. Die before the checkpoint and the level resets completely.

Arrrrgggghhh
  • Deleted user 2 January 2011 14:36:39
    ZOMG, this is fucking ace
  • Deleted user 2 January 2011 15:13:17
    It's not dull and full of 5 second cut scenes, has no swearing and has colour, of course I'll like it.
  • roz123 2 Jan 2011 16:17:23 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just got to the last couple of cave levels (world 4). I have gone from about 40 lives to about 6 in the space of a few levels. That fucking bat is a fucking bastard.
  • Fletche 3 Jan 2011 10:18:23 3,418 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't get me started on the Crowded Cavern level, haven't wanted to chuck my controller through the TV as much for a very long time!
  • BartonFink 3 Jan 2011 10:19:18 34,996 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    ZOMG, this is fucking ace
    Yup full of delightful win!!! \o/
  • figaro7 3 Jan 2011 20:36:14 1,366 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah the cave world is a bitch, ironically, when i was going back to collect the KONG letters, i only had 1 level to do in that world, go figure.
  • NOSAVIOUR 3 Jan 2011 22:04:42 2,804 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Loving this game, but it is damn hard. I'd enjoy it even more if I didn't doubt my gaming skills every few feet. But I'm addicted even though I've used silver kong twice in the cave world!
  • JuanKerr 5 Jan 2011 15:56:15 36,295 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The difficulty level on this is no joke - the K levels are hard as nails.

Really enjoying it, definitely preferring it to NSMB.
  • jonsaan 5 Jan 2011 21:12:20 25,360 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    very pleased to hear this is on the hard side. I must pick this up very soon.

FCUTA!

• Kay 5 Jan 2011 22:11:04 17,918 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm a bit surprised at all the praise this has been getting, tbh - even though I was a massive fan of the DKC trilogy, I felt the general consensus was that the games had not aged that well, and was expecting this new instalment to be more of the same, warts and all. Reading about frustrating sections and difficulty spikes also put me off (the original games were pretty bad too in that respect, iirc).

It's now sounding absolutely essential the more I read about it, though - is that nostalgia speaking, or is it a genuinely good game? Either way I'll have to pick it up, but I can't see it dropping in price anytime soon.
  • GrandpaUlrira 5 Jan 2011 22:33:28 3,753 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Only on world 3 right now, but the level with the giant octopus is probably my highlight so far. The difficulty has really started picking up.
  • trip919 5 Jan 2011 23:16:57 2,274 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So it's vastly harder then the trilogy on the SNES then? They could be quite trying on some levels (although persistence won out).
  • Tom_Servo 5 Jan 2011 23:16:57 18,004 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I died a few times on the first level.
  • Deleted user 6 January 2011 00:01:57
    trip919 wrote:
    So it's vastly harder then the trilogy on the SNES then? They could be quite trying on some levels (although persistence won out).
    About the same really.
  • MrSemprini 6 Jan 2011 00:06:06 9,421 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Kay wrote:It's now sounding absolutely essential the more I read about it, though - is that nostalgia speaking, or is it a genuinely good game?

The latter. I never played the originals so have no nostalgia to draw on. It's just a great 2D platformer.
  • trip919 6 Jan 2011 00:17:06 2,274 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    trip919 wrote:
    About the same really.

Most games are a walk in the park these days, I think it'll be good to have some good old fashioned challenge.
  • Jono62 6 Jan 2011 08:10:05 14,193 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    trip919 wrote:
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    trip919 wrote:
    About the same really.

Most games are a walk in the park these days, I think it'll be good to have some good old fashioned challenge.

Complete the game and its a real toughie:

mirror mode, with no Diddy Kong and only one heart. Bear in mind that when you have Diddy Kong, you get 4 hearts. Love this game. My only gripe is the flying levels. Found it hard to control. Oh and the time attacks are near impossible to get gold on.
  • GrandpaUlrira 8 Jan 2011 00:29:43 3,753 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was expecting to like this for nostalgia if nothing else, but I'm actually starting to think I prefer this to the originals, and I did everything in both DKC1 and DKC3. I'm on world 4, and I'll be amazed if it can keep up this quality, but the imagination on display, even when in old staples like mine cart levels, is amazing. It would be nice to have a few tunes that aren't simply remixes of the originals though.
  • figaro7 8 Jan 2011 00:40:18 1,366 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Theres no doubting retro here, the attention to detail in this is outstanding. ^ For what its worth the worlds get better as you go.
  • JuanKerr 8 Jan 2011 23:35:40 36,295 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Loving the game, but fuck me is it hard. I can't beat the K level on world 1 and world 4 is controller-smashingly tough.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last