The hate for iTunes thread. Page 11

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• Chopsen 19 May 2011 11:37:29 15,849 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    I'm slowly transitioning away from iTunes, I've started using winamp for music on my PC but apple have updated the fireware on the iPod to make it unsyncable with winamp. I'm considering just getting rid of my iPod and sending iTunes back to the fiery pit form whence it came.

Yeah, that is pretty much why I stopped using my iphone (though I still have it as a needlessly expensive sonos controller)
  • urban 21 May 2011 11:10:33 10,940 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Apples forced obsolescence in practice

I connected the shuffle to our computer, but a message came up saying the iPod "cannot be used because it requires iTunes version 10.0 or later". So I downloaded iTunes 10, but then another message popped up: "Open Failed This package type requires Mac OS X 10.5." It was the same story with the iPhone 4.

The only comparison to windows I can think of is high-end games requiring Windows 7 for Direct X 11. This shouldn't be happening for a bloody mp3 player.
  • Mr-Brett 21 May 2011 11:20:02 12,759 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    figgis wrote:
    Media monkey is worth a shot, been using it for years with iPods.

I'll give it a try, the only reason I didn't stop using iTunes sooner was because of Apps but I don't really use Apps on my iPod anymore anyway, I deleted most of them to make space for me music :)

Portable view - Never forget.

• crashVoodoo 21 May 2011 13:37:30 3,869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    urban wrote:
    Apples forced obsolescence in practice

I connected the shuffle to our computer, but a message came up saying the iPod "cannot be used because it requires iTunes version 10.0 or later". So I downloaded iTunes 10, but then another message popped up: "Open Failed This package type requires Mac OS X 10.5." It was the same story with the iPhone 4.

The only comparison to windows I can think of is high-end games requiring Windows 7 for Direct X 11. This shouldn't be happening for a bloody mp3 player.

I can't believe the amount of people that have gone on there and actually defended it. I will admit that the journo didn't research properly and the upgrade was available for cheaper than he claimed but ... why in fucks name does the OS have to be upgraded to run a newer version of iTunes.

As you said, I don't remember ever being forced to upgrade windows to run a program (games excluded). At the most.its usually a service pack that's forced upon you but they're free ffs!

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• urban 24 May 2011 10:04:15 10,940 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Something I posted over on the guardians website about This article on Apple sales growth.

Extreme Planned Obsolescence. Apple release a new updated version of almost all their products almost exactly annually.

Then they release software updates for said products and make them (maybe unintentionally) a little bit worse with every update. You can't go back and install a previous update which possibly worked better for you (unless you have a very specific backup) So what do you do? Buy the latest one which you know is super fast and feature full of stuff the old product didn't include because you've tried it in one of the many very accessible Apple Stores.

The use of one proprietary connection locks it down some more if you're an iPad or one of the many portable Apple devices. Purposely not using a universally accepted connectivity solution is something Microsoft would never get away with. Maybe that's because they don't have the 'must have' product that Apple have (namely the iPod)

I don't know. I've had an iPod nano, I couldn't tell you which generation though because they don't really change the names much once they've got something they market they tend to keep it. I've also had an iPhone 3G which I actually just replaced yesterday because the battery life was getting absurd. It was also ludicrously sluggish at even listening to music. Even after I had wiped it completely of everything hoping to eek some performance out of it.

I'm a computer technician by trade and yes I've grown up using/learning/working on PC's (Microsoft) but I wouldn't say they were the perfect solution. They have simply produced a really good (fairly open) product with Windows and I can't see myself using anything else in the near future. Except maybe Google OS, but nah.

Because Google want to know absolutely everything about me and that's a bit scary. Not because I don't trust Google, but because I don't think I could ever come up with a password that would make me feel comfortable with every single bit of personal information about me.

Oh yeah, and iTunes sucks!
  • mrpon 24 May 2011 10:05:58 28,743 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't be silly.

http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.php

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• urban 24 May 2011 10:06:41 10,940 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Software updates for iPhone, iPods, iPads...
  • mrpon 24 May 2011 10:08:31 28,743 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't be silly.

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

• urban 24 May 2011 10:12:01 10,940 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's a bit hacky though, Apple don't make it available. You have to go out and find it/do it yourself. Which is not cricket imo.
  • Mr_Sleep 24 May 2011 10:19:30 16,930 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not a complaint so much as a question about Itunes, is there any way of transferring my podcast subscriptions out of Itunes into something like mediamonkey?

You are a factory of sadness.

• mrpon 24 May 2011 10:19:37 28,743 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh totally agree urb. Press Shift (or Option on Macs) when clicking Restore to select your desired firmware.

Then cross your fucking fingers and hope for the best!!

• SilentTristero 31 May 2011 03:45:07 291 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I like the way iTunes will copy any music I add to the library to a specified destination. All incoming music goes into one folder, unsorted, then is added with iTunes, which files it into another, organised folder. Then I clear out the originals.

I don't like much else about it; does Winamp do the same thing? Got a fresh HDD and I'm lookin' at other options.

Edit: Or indeed other software, I'm hearing about Foobar2000 quite a lot. I just want automated library organisation and low system resource usage, really.
  • Dirtbox 31 May 2011 03:53:02 77,686 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    itunes is on it's own in that department for various reasons, not least all the duplicates it creates.

Better to sort it yourself with a decent folder structure that you have full control over.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• SilentTristero 31 May 2011 04:01:42 291 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I can see the benefits of controlling it myself, but manually organising all of my music into folders?

I'm happy with E: > Music > Artists > Albums. I don't see what else would be necessary, personally.
  • Dirtbox 31 May 2011 04:03:45 77,686 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If that's all you want to do, then do it. It's hardly difficult.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• MrTomFTW Moderator 31 May 2011 07:23:35 37,769 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I came downstairs this morning to find my PC was still on, with an error message for iTunes stopping it from shutting down.

I hadn't even used iTunes yesterday!

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• THFourteen 31 May 2011 08:49:05 33,165 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    you switch your PC off?

noob :-P
  • Dr_Wookiee 1 Jun 2011 22:05:11 110 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My least favourite but most common iTunes issue: "purchased music on this iPhone is not compatible with the music library. If you want to sync with this library these items will be lost" ... I hate itunes!
  • Deleted user 31 July 2011 19:51:33
    itunes seems to becoming slower and slower for me. i also hate having to have a store account just to get genius results, playlists and suggestions.

is there alternative software available that doesn't have a stored linked or require you to create an account? all my music is ripped from cd and i am thinking about getting a different music player as my ipod touch is getting a bit old and battered. any suggestions?
  • Dougs 31 Jul 2011 19:55:10 67,143 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Media Monkey. Even syncs with a Touch, but music only, not video or apps
  • Mr-Brett 6 Sep 2011 11:46:17 12,759 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone else tried the MediaMonkey v4 beta? If not it can be found in the last post of this thread.

The interface is much better, clean and simple (not a million miles away from iTunes...). It apparently can now sync with iPhone 4's too.

• Deleted user 22 September 2011 22:37:08
    I'm really pissed with the store. Trying to redownload old albums that I have in my purchase history but are no longer on my library.

If I go to the album page and choose 'buy album' it has the usual warning, so I click 'buy' and it comes up with a warning along the lines of, 'You've purchased this album before, do you really want to purchase again?'

Of yes, of course I want to pay for it a second time?!?! Fucking stupid thing - I swear in the past you could just re-download previously purchased albums for free. What's the point of keeping a purchase history if I cannot go back and re-download those same albums?

Have they removed this feature to try and flog me this iCloud bollocks?

• CharlieStCloud 23 Sep 2011 09:00:02 5,202 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    *growls*

... what genuinely FUCKS ME OFF is that you can happily re-install Apps (that you have purchased and downloaded) on the App store but oh no, you cannot re-download your music, films, TV programmes and audio books... you have to buy them again!

I just do not understand and I too am flabbergasted as to why there is a purchase history in everyone's account if it serves no purpose whatsoever.
  • Dougs 23 Sep 2011 09:02:34 67,143 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's ridiculous, never realised that.
  • kalel 23 Sep 2011 09:05:58 86,910 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A polite email to Apple saying your PC broke and you lost everything will usually result in them letting you download it all again for free.
  • Chopsen 23 Sep 2011 09:07:09 15,849 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought tunes in iTunes were DRM free these days?
  • kalel 23 Sep 2011 09:13:37 86,910 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They are, but not sure how that's relevant here.
  • Mr-Brett 23 Sep 2011 09:14:00 12,759 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They are but that doesn't affect how many times you can download the files. If you lose files and they're still on your idevice then you may be able to recover them from that with third party software.

• kalel 23 Sep 2011 09:17:52 86,910 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm fairly religious about backing up my itunes these days, especially after I got rid of all my CDs. I have it backed up twice, as well as on my ipod.
  • Chopsen 23 Sep 2011 09:23:21 15,849 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    They are, but not sure how that's relevant here.

It means this

kalel wrote:
    I'm fairly religious about backing up my itunes these days,

would be a good idea, and would not be possible if they weren't DRM-free.
  • Page

of 15 First / Last