Unofficial The Hut discussion thread

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Syrette 9 May 2010 01:16:58 41,801 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Right guys, I don't fancy trawling through loads of old threads to get an answer to this simple question.

What are The Hut like when it comes to pre-orders?

I've never used them or Zavvi etc before.

Basically, are they reliable delivery-wise? My only demand when I pre-order a title is that I get it day one, or the day after if the circumstances force it.

• Deleted user 9 May 2010 01:18:15
    I still maintain having release days on a Friday in the UK is fucking retarded.

(Sorry can't help on this).
  • LionheartDJH 9 May 2010 01:52:13 19,295 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Generally I've found them to be pretty decent with the pre-order experiences I've had with them. Got FM2008 a day early from The Hut and got PES2010 two days before release from Zavvi. Ordered quite a few things in general over the past few years from them and I find them to be pretty good most of the time. Only real bad experience was FM2010, but that came a few days late because of postal strikes, so not really their fault. I would say that you'll likely get your pre-order on release day, based on my past experiences with them.

She dives for cheese pasties

• PenguinJim 9 May 2010 04:25:24 5,450 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    From their delivery help: "We deliver to addresses both inside the UK and outside the UK with the exception of Russia and Brazil."

But Taiwan isn't an option in their country selection drop-down box!!! FUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • thenastypasty 9 May 2010 06:49:53 5,178 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've pre-ordered a couple of games from the Hut FAN and had no problems at all,in fact when ODST was released it turned up on the Friday but the release day was the following Wednesday.
  • LionheartDJH 9 May 2010 11:48:31 19,295 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    From their delivery help: "We deliver to addresses both inside the UK and outside the UK with the exception of Russia and Brazil."

But Taiwan isn't an option in their country selection drop-down box!!! FUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe Zavvi don't want to upset the PRC? Or they don't deliver to countries not officially recognised by the UK government?

• Syrette 9 May 2010 19:15:24 41,801 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Appreciate the answers, guys.

• PenguinJim 12 May 2010 11:36:36 5,450 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I sent them a quick message before, and they've emailed me back to apologise and tell me that they've added Taiwan to their list. I've just checked, and it's there already! Looks like I can use TheHut before I finish my holiday and return to the UK. :)
  • y2rich 12 May 2010 11:54:06 1,388 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Never had any problems here. Every preorder has arrived day before release. Hoping Skate 3 will as well but I only ordered yesterday.
  • LionheartDJH 13 May 2010 18:27:40 19,295 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    I sent them a quick message before, and they've emailed me back to apologise and tell me that they've added Taiwan to their list. I've just checked, and it's there already! Looks like I can use TheHut before I finish my holiday and return to the UK. :)

Nice one PenguinJim, I hope the people of Taiwan appreciate what you did for their potential bargian buying goodness :)

• scorch 13 May 2010 18:32:18 77 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Their website and prices are very similar to Asda's.
  • LionheartDJH 13 May 2010 18:34:42 19,295 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    scorch wrote:
    Their website and prices are very similar to Asda's.

I think they run Asda's site so that's why the prices and layout are similar.

• WinterSnowblind 14 May 2010 15:19:50 1,190 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My copy of Super Street Fighter IV didn't arrive from Zavvi until the next Wednesday. This was probably partially due to the Monday being a bank holiday, but that's still pretty ridiculous.

Had the Alan Wake LE pre-ordered from them for a while now too, and it hasn't arrived yet and I'd be pretty surprised if I even get it tomorrow.

Decent prices most of the time, but avoid them if you're in a hurry to get something.
  • Syrette 14 May 2010 19:35:46 41,801 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I've not got my LE yet either.

Definitely disappointed as people gave me the impression that they were decent for pre-orders.

I'm not too fussed, as long as I get it tomorrow. If it comes Monday then I won't be impressed. I've got RDR on the way from them as well, if that comes late too then The Hut can wave goodbye to receiving any more pre-orders from me.

• Dr.Haggard 14 May 2010 19:49:33 4,087 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well when it does turn up hopefully yours will have faired better in the care of our ham fisted Royal Mail employees.

Perhaps that's a bit harsh, since it's Roger Hut's fault really. My Alan Wake LE turned up today in a wafer thin jiffy bag, and inevitably the carboard outer sleeve has pretty nasty dents down one of the edges. Sigh.
  • Syrette 14 May 2010 19:50:54 41,801 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, with this all said - I know the Royal Fail aren't great. But I get my pre-orders from elsewhere on time.

I'll know more if they're late with my copy of RDR.

• Dr.Haggard 14 May 2010 20:05:39 4,087 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Indeed, certainly won't be using The Hut/Zavvi again.
  • Whizzo 14 May 2010 20:08:44 42,758 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Amazon have failed to deliver my LE copy of Alan Wake which I pre-ordered in February, I'm not sure why though they supposedly sent it on Wednesday and I normally get stuff next day.

The Hut got me my copy of LP2 on Tuesday at least so I've got some Akrids to kill I suppose.

I've never had a pre-order late from The Hut/Zavvi so far and have been using them since switching most of my custom from Play, the Quidco is better too.

This space left intentionally blank.

• MrDigital 14 May 2010 20:10:04 1,866 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well hearing all this is striking quite a bit of doubt into me. I have Demon's Souls pre-ordered from Zavvi but if they aren't reliable for pre-orders I may have to cancel. I'll do a bit more research first though.

If I do decide to cancel, does anyone have any recommendations? Amazon (reliable but won't get the game early right?) Play (same boat as Zavvi right?) Shopto (credit card fraud problems?)

Hmmph...

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Deleted user 15 May 2010 06:13:27
    I'm using my Demon's Souls pre-order as a litmus test to see if I'll use zaavi for more than the odd bargain, hope it arrives without any dents.
  • pinebear 15 May 2010 08:08:46 8,565 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Time was you could either get a game on time from the shops and pay full price, or use mail order for a discount but have to wait a week or two longer. Ahh, nostalgia.

Still, I don't get how online retailers manage to get games to their customers before the official release without getting blacklisted for breaking street dates. What's the deal?

• MrDigital 15 May 2010 08:44:54 1,866 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Because a lot of them have policies of delivering game on the release day, and to fulfil that they have to risk sending it two days before the release date which means it sometimes arrive the next day.

I think.

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Deleted user 15 May 2010 09:32:13
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    Well when it does turn up hopefully yours will have faired better in the care of our ham fisted Royal Mail employees.

Perhaps that's a bit harsh, since it's Roger Hut's fault really. My Alan Wake LE turned up today in a wafer thin jiffy bag, and inevitably the carboard outer sleeve has pretty nasty dents down one of the edges. Sigh.

i havent recieved my LE of alan wake yet posted tuesday by the hut...i cant believe they posted it in a jiffy bag as its a heavy package i hope i get it today cant grumble only paid 35.94

HMV packaging always comes boxed all online retailers should do the same.
  • FabricatedLunatic 15 May 2010 09:45:13 12,955 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do The Hut/Zavvi ship new releases from Guernsey like they do with items under 18? If so, they'd have to send them on Monday or Tuesday for delivery on Friday. And even then it'd be down to the vagaries of Royal Mail and their equivalent in Guernsey.
  • Deleted user 15 May 2010 10:21:46
    My LE of alan wake just arrived all in tip top condition.....a very nice LE indeed
  • WinstonChurchill 15 May 2010 10:50:18 137 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Hut got me Yakuza 3 on the Thursday before release and Zavvi just got me the LE of Alan Wake on release day so I've had no trouble with either of them.
  • WinterSnowblind 16 May 2010 09:21:23 1,190 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Geesh wrote:
    Because a lot of them have policies of delivering game on the release day, and to fulfil that they have to risk sending it two days before the release date which means it sometimes arrive the next day.

I think.

I do think a lot of places do this, Shopto most certainly do.

But I've never had any issues getting games for the day of release from them or GAME. (Almost always the day before infact) so Zavvi even just being a day late does really stand out. Although I did get my copy of Alan Wake yesterday, so I won't complain too much.

They still won't be my first choice for ordering games in the future though.
  • y2rich 16 May 2010 11:00:54 1,388 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My copy of Skate 3 arrived on Thursday when I only got my order in on Tuesday. FFXIII arrived a day early and I now have my Red Dead Redemption preorder with them.
  • michaelius 16 May 2010 11:50:15 809 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I preordered Star Ocean there and they sent it like 4 days before release date to accomodate for travel time to Poland.

That's just my observation but if you have a choice beetween ordering from thehut and from zaavi then choose thehut (orders put there seem to have higher priority)
  • Syrette 21 May 2010 18:59:10 41,801 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well they've certainly not lived up to the expectations I had of them based on this thread and elsewhere. No guarantee that my copy of Red Dead Redemption will come tomorrow, never mind on time today as I expected it to.

Extremely unimpressed as they were late with Alan Wake too.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous