of 5 First / Last

• Bremenacht 29 Jun 2011 23:52:33 19,443 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Very good stuff. Excellent nutter.
  • Blaketown 30 Jun 2011 09:45:08 4,915 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Any of you geeky cunts recognise that symbol as an RPG [whatever they said it was]? I sure as shit didn't.

Brilliant episode though, this is a really great show.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• azurelas_2 30 Jun 2011 10:32:04 1,143 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wouldn't it be easier to try and figure out the game they're (ie the nutters) playing? Surely those dice are too distinct, and any rpg players (warhammer etc) could figure out the rules quite quickly

#justsaying
  • azurelas_2 30 Jun 2011 10:32:08 1,143 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • crispyduckman 30 Jun 2011 12:16:09 1,888 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wow, just saw the last episode last night - stoned! Was definitely not expecting that. The office scene really messed me up. Fucking brilliant. Stoned or not, I've never seen anything that disturbing on a BBC TV show. Best thing on telly.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• Tiger_Walts 30 Jun 2011 12:23:49 16,615 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    azurelas_2 wrote:
    Wouldn't it be easier to try and figure out the game they're (ie the nutters) playing? Surely those dice are too distinct, and any rpg players (warhammer etc) could figure out the rules quite quickly

#justsaying

A D20, a D8 and the other one I don't recall (was it a D6?), they're just number dice. No special markings. There are probably hundreds of games that use all three at once. D&D is likely the most modified, copied and bastardized ruleset ever, good luck pinning down a specific one.

Anyone else get reminded of the The Dice Man by Luke Rhineheart?

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Tiger_Walts 30 Jun 2011 12:26:40 16,615 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyway, I bet Luther stops the guy in the end by asking if he can make a saving roll.

Also, someone needs to edit that office scene with dice rolls overlayed, like the security at the desk failing an intuition check. :)

Blaketown wrote:
    Any of you geeky cunts recognise that symbol as an RPG [whatever they said it was]? I sure as shit didn't.

It's an alignment compass. It was named the Bedlam Compass in the show. I can't find any matching example in the more common games. It looks like a more complex version of the old D&D alignment grid with 4 axes instead of 2. 2 Orthagonal and 2 diagonal, an arrow on each axis denoting what side of neutral for each attribute their character lies on.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• crispyduckman 30 Jun 2011 12:50:38 1,888 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    Yeah. I thought one of the characters would have mentioned it but they never did. So far, what this season lacks in terms of originality, it makes up for in sheer "non-gratuitous" brutality. I can't get over how mental it is.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• Whizzo 30 Jun 2011 13:01:15 43,275 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Dice Man came straight to mind when using dice to make decisions come up, there was nothing as extreme as what was happening in this of course.

I'd have used something a little more obscure to make decisions

/rolls D100
    /runs after it

This space left intentionally blank.

• Kilters 1 Jul 2011 21:00:04 579 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Best episode of the series so far. Opening scene and office scene are fantastic.
  • RMXtreme 1 Jul 2011 22:00:51 3,145 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So this is good then? Just finished watching Sherlock and Injustice and could do with another good English show.

Probably not the thread for it but, any other recommendations for good English television series.
  • Kilters 1 Jul 2011 23:27:54 579 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    State of play is excellent.
  • ResidentKnievel 2 Jul 2011 19:20:28 6,259 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been catching up on Iplayer, I regret not seeing the first series, I didn't think a British production was capable of being this good.

Kilters wrote:
    Best episode of the series so far. Opening scene and office scene are fantastic.

Yeah, agreeing here, excellent scenes.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Blakester 12 Jul 2011 09:42:12 3,655 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Having enjoyed series two immensely, I've bought series one on DVD and going to start it tonight at 9pm to fill the void.

Why is it though that series one has six episodes and series two only four?

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Ultrasoundwave 5 Aug 2011 10:38:55 3,400 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Me and the girlfriend started watching series 1 at the start of the week and we watched episode 3 last night - bloody good stuff!

Probably one of the creepiest episodes of TV i've seen, but also technically brilliant. Paul Rhys was spot-on as the crazy killer lucien.

Normally we avoid British TV and stick to US shows (Fringe, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Supernatural, etc) but Luther has surprised me with its ability to suck you into the stories. The characters are all excellent, the acting is good (especially Elba, who is superb) and its impossible to take your eyes off.

Cant wait to watch the rest of series 1 before moving onto series 2, cant recommend this show highly enough.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• agparrot 5 Aug 2011 11:29:17 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    I've been catching up on Iplayer, I regret not seeing the first series, I didn't think a British production was capable of being this good.

Kilters wrote:

Yeah, agreeing here, excellent scenes.

Are you going to go back and watch the first series? I... enjoyed it more than the second. I'm not saying I didn't like the second, it just didn't feel as cohesive to me as the first.

Well, as cohesive as stories about some broken Detective chasing nutters can be!

Like Blakester, I'm not sure why the number of episodes was cut down - I don't think Luther lends itself to these mini-runs of 3/4 episodes in the same way that the adaptations of Wallander or the lame but moody Zen do.

Part of me can't believe Series One was only 6 episodes - in my memory it contained so much good stuff that it seemed to have gone on for longer.
  • President_Weasel 5 Aug 2011 12:25:01 9,610 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't think Zen was lame; I genuinely enjoyed it, even though Rufus Sewell is a bit too good looking to be real.

As for Luther, it's pretty ridiculous and unbelievable. I still like it, but even though I realise it's some kind of super-melodramatic cop show homage to grand guignol or something, I still find myself getting a bit annoyed and going "oh come on! that's just stupid" every now and then.
    It's great to see Tyres from Spaced playing "beardy techy copper" too.

Blaketown wrote:

I think they may have made up the [whatever they said it was] part, but I'm pretty sure the symbol itself was a fairly common depiction of Chaos used in things like the Warhammer universe (including Blood Bowl) and in old 2000AD comics, to pick a couple of examples I have seen personally.
    In fact I just looked up chaos symbol on the googles and it's there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbol_of_Chaos - although the one I was thinking of was a bit more asymmetrical and therefore chaosy.

crispyduckman wrote:
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    Yeah. I thought one of the characters would have mentioned it but they never did. So far, what this season lacks in terms of originality, it makes up for in sheer "non-gratuitous" brutality. I can't get over how mental it is.

I'm pretty sure the premise of the story was directly lifted from the Dice Man, so it would be a bit obvious for one of the characters to go "hey this guy is acting exactly like a pyschotic version of the book we stole the idea for this episode from". The writers are pretending this is a world where the dice man was never written.
  • agparrot 5 Aug 2011 13:22:00 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think the context of the way "RPG" was used was what Blaketown was referring to, it was more a grammatical thing in the way the sentence it was included in was constructed, than anything else. Something like "This dice is an RPG", rather than "This dice is like the ones used in an RPG". That's just what I remember, anyway.

My Mrs and I practically said "Dice Man" out loud at the same time, as soon as it became apparent that it was, er, were dice that the dude was squatting over. I think they worked it neatly into the story, despite the total mentalness of the overall murderising. Luther is nothing really without completely left-field and over the top villains. Certainly, they wouldn't squeeze neatly into Lewis, but that clearly isn't what the writers are aiming for here!

I also enjoyed Zen... I just wish it was... a little more focused and that they'd decided to make some more.
  • President_Weasel 5 Aug 2011 15:34:21 9,610 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Are they not making any more? Aw, sadness.
    Could they just make half an hour of Rufus Sewell contemplating stuff, then cut to shots of the incredibly hot Italian woman? Maybe a couple of minutes of the grumpy boss, too - he also turned up in The Shadow Line, if you remember.

Anyway, its the 8 way arrow, compass-rose-esque symbol I think we're talking about here, not the dice themselves.
  • mrpon 2 Jul 2013 11:38:32 29,436 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Series 3 starts tonight, 9pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01b2b5c/Luther_Series_3_Episode_1/

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Humperfunk 2 Jul 2013 12:05:24 2,401 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yep, very much looking forward to this. Finished rewatching the last episode of series 2 on the train this morning :)

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• Youthist 2 Jul 2013 12:12:12 10,057 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This isn't as good as it used to be*

*getting it in early

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• Deleted user 2 July 2013 12:23:38
    Awesome. Loved Luther. Had no idea a new series was coming on either.
  • Steve_Perry 2 Jul 2013 12:37:42 5,016 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Only just watched the first two series recently and I really like the show. Looking forward to this tonight.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Humperfunk 2 Jul 2013 21:07:01 2,401 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Made me jump already

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• Deleted user 2 July 2013 22:07:57
    That was great I thought. Good cast as well. The dodgy Scottish guy was in The Departed wasn't he?

Disappointed that they did the old "hide in the cupboard with the slits" old horror movie trope at the end though. Apart from that I really enjoyed it.
  • Whizzo 2 Jul 2013 22:23:08 43,275 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It was rather good, hiding in the cupboard was a bit silly though.

I can also think of some far less dangerous ways of removing fingerprints too but I suppose the character really wasn't thinking straight.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 2 July 2013 22:33:29
    Well yes, there was that as well but it kind of worked for him, whoever the guy was he played it just convincingly enough I thought. I would have just burned them on the hob if it was me though. Or had one of my famous "carrot peeling incidents".
  • Deleted user 2 July 2013 23:19:36
    Could have done with a re-cap. Otherwise great, though.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last