Steam for Linux Page 9

  • Page

    of 10 First / Last

  • dominalien 2 Mar 2013 16:24:30 6,884 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Too bad you can't even be bothered to read at least a few of the recent posts before posting your own.

    PSN: DonOsito

  • Hexagon 3 Mar 2013 00:32:55 352 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Hexagon wrote:
    Can't wait for Valve to release more games!
    Good luck with that.
    Thanks! Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike, and Counter-Strike: Source are already out, but with Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Left 4 Dead 2, and especially DOTA2 having yet to be released, Valve definitely has some significant ammo left.

    GOG for Linux!

  • Hexagon 3 Mar 2013 00:34:42 352 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Too bad you can't even be bothered to read at least a few of the recent posts before posting your own.
    Talking to me? Oh, I did but I didn't want to double post! Decided to make an exception this time since it seems like it bugs you. I always read recent posts before posting!

    GOG for Linux!

  • X201 3 Mar 2013 06:45:26 15,491 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    In other news, Linux users were over 2% in February, according to the stats on the Steam page. I'm actually a little bit surprised.
    You can't trust the first set of stats, they're skewed by the curiosity and newness aspects plus the TF2 item promotion (The hardcore players know that the Mac Earbuds item released for the Mac launch are rare and sell for a decent slice of real world cash. So they dived in to get the Tux item)
  • Khanivor 3 Mar 2013 06:53:14 40,808 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Linux is like a McDonalds which sells locally made soda, not Coke, and uses local potatoes for their fries. And it's not a franchise.

    They only sell fries and chocolate milksakes and a cheesburger.

    Why the fuck bother going there?
  • SirScratchalot 3 Mar 2013 07:15:40 7,874 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's my primary OS. There are many reasons to go, I have a more beautiful, stable and fast OS than before. It's completely changed my workflow.
    It's not windows though, some things don't work the same.
    It's certainly a fun and empowering ride though, if you're a power user or a complete computer luddite I'd probaly put you on Linux. If you're an intermediate user or a gamer it's still a lot easier to just stick with windows.
  • dominalien 8 Mar 2013 18:06:13 6,884 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    In other news, Linux users were over 2% in February, according to the stats on the Steam page. I'm actually a little bit surprised.
    You can't trust the first set of stats, they're skewed by the curiosity and newness aspects plus the TF2 item promotion (The hardcore players know that the Mac Earbuds item released for the Mac launch are rare and sell for a decent slice of real world cash. So they dived in to get the Tux item)
    You're almost certainly right. They will only grow if there's a steady supply of games people want to play. Somehow, I don't see that happening, if what happened on the Mac side is any indication.

    PSN: DonOsito

  • dominalien 8 Mar 2013 18:08:33 6,884 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A few days too late, but still.

    @SirScratchalot

    Don't feed the troll.

    @Khanivor

    You have no interest in Linux. Thank you for your useless input, but your analogy doesn't really work. What's the point going to McDonald's, period.

    PSN: DonOsito

  • Hexagon 8 Mar 2013 19:55:04 352 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Looking at the top ten most played Steam games on a daily basis, the vast majority of them tend to be Valve games, and all of those are certainly coming over to Linux. DOTA2, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike: Source, and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive are all juggernauts and then there are games like Left 4 Dead 2 and Portal 2 which are not quite as popular, but still very much so. Other massively popular games on Steam that are in the top ten are Football Manager 2013 and Sid Meier's Civilization V. The reason I am mentioning these is that nothing has been said about them with regard to Linux but what does give me hope is the fact that they already have Mac OS ports i.e. they have OpenGL versions in place. Work would have to be done to get them to Linux of course, but it most certainly wouldn't be as much.

    GOG for Linux!

  • dominalien 15 Mar 2013 09:30:40 6,884 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Half-Life 2 Deathmatch is now in beta and available on Steam. I never thought I'd see the day.

    PSN: DonOsito

  • dominalien 17 Mar 2013 22:21:04 6,884 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Valve went a bit crazy with listing all the Linux distributions on the hardware survey page, most of them having a share of 0.00%. Probably a glitch, as it servers no purpose that I can see.

    Apparently, Linux is at 2.5% currently.

    PSN: DonOsito

  • dominalien 10 May 2013 10:09:17 6,884 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yay, talking to myself again.

    Portal is out. Portal 2 is supposed to follow suit very soon.

    Half-Life 2, Ep. 1, Ep. 2 are out.

    Left 4 Dead 2 is out.

    Brutal Legend is out. Runs very poorly on my MBP, but I'm still on the 313 driver. Maybe it'll be better with the apparently-much-improved 319.

    Valve looks really committed, too bad they seem to have no success whatsoever convincing other game makers Linux is the future™.

    Linux share on steam fell to below 2% in April. That was to be expected, considering there's practically nothing worth playing on it. Or was, rather, considering the flood of games above. Too bad they're mostly old games nobody plays any more. Except for Brutal Legend, I think this came out this February on PC?

    Anyway, I don't see any significant movement in the big game arena until the Steambox comes out, if then.

    PSN: DonOsito

  • pinebear 10 May 2013 11:25:19 8,565 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's going to take a concerted effort from Valve, Canonical, GPU manufacturers and developers to make it happen. Oh, and Wolfire Games ^_^

  • Hexagon 9 Jul 2013 13:37:29 352 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Crytek is looking for a Linux programmer to work on the Linux version of CryEngine. Just thought I would leave that here.

    GOG for Linux!

  • dominalien 9 Jul 2013 13:38:54 6,884 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hi Hexagon, how have you been? Unfortunately, interest in Linux over here is about as low as it was the last time you stopped by.

    PSN: DonOsito

  • Hexagon 9 Jul 2013 13:40:46 352 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Hi Hexagon, how have you been? Unfortunately, interest in Linux over here is about as low as it was the last time you stopped by.
    Crikey there, dominalien. I am rather well, and you? Yes, that is why I come by rarely as other communities are far more Linux friendly. It is most unfortunate but true. I do hope Eurogamer catches up soon.

    GOG for Linux!

  • dominalien 9 Jul 2013 13:43:24 6,884 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What. Other. Communities?

    /meant to read as: WTF am I doing here, then?

    PSN: DonOsito

  • Hexagon 9 Jul 2013 13:48:37 352 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    What. Other. Communities?

    /meant to read as: WTF am I doing here, then?
    This one.
    This one.
    This one.
    This one.

    Then again, they are quite Linux focused.

    Edited by Hexagon at 13:49:27 09-07-2013

    GOG for Linux!

  • dominalien 9 Jul 2013 13:55:20 6,884 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah, OK. Not for me, then. I'm a gamer. :-)

    PSN: DonOsito

  • Hexagon 9 Jul 2013 14:04:38 352 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Ah, OK. Not for me, then. I'm a gamer. :-)
    Three of those are gaming communities. There's also Steam For Linux.

    GOG for Linux!

  • dominalien 9 Jul 2013 14:08:22 6,884 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Three? I see one (linux_gaming on reddit). Phoronix and Ubuntu Forums are about as far from gaming as you can get. :-)

    With gaming on Linux as limited as it is, dedicated communities aren't of much interest to me, I must say. I was hoping you'd found a general gaming community which also happened to be Linux-friendly. Apparently not. :-(

    PSN: DonOsito

  • Hexagon 9 Jul 2013 17:51:04 352 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Steam just updated and I can now use the Steam overlay in 64 bit titles. Woohoo! This is getting better and better.

    GOG for Linux!

  • DodgyPast 9 Jul 2013 18:02:11 8,475 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll say thanks to Hexagon for dropping by and posting.
    Out of interest has there been any conclusions regarding the fact that the PS4 OS appears to be built on top of FreeBSD... Wouldn't that imply the possibility of better Linux drivers and greater ease of releasing games on Linux?
  • Hexagon 9 Jul 2013 23:34:49 352 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Three? I see one (linux_gaming on reddit). Phoronix and Ubuntu Forums are about as far from gaming as you can get. :-)

    With gaming on Linux as limited as it is, dedicated communities aren't of much interest to me, I must say. I was hoping you'd found a general gaming community which also happened to be Linux-friendly. Apparently not. :-(
    I linked you to the gaming sections of those two forums. Go wild! What does a general gaming community offer in that regard? I imagine only fanboy wars would break out in such communities. That's my experience anyway. I seek out dedicated communities for that reason.

    GOG for Linux!

  • Hexagon 9 Jul 2013 23:44:32 352 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    I'll say thanks to Hexagon for dropping by and posting.
    Out of interest has there been any conclusions regarding the fact that the PS4 OS appears to be built on top of FreeBSD... Wouldn't that imply the possibility of better Linux drivers and greater ease of releasing games on Linux?
    Cheers, mate. As Sony is moving away from the Cell and is adopting a common architecture (x86) as well as going the FreeBSD route like you correctly stated, logic dictates that what you described is a very likely scenario. We'll just have to wait and see, but that's the gist of it.

    GOG for Linux!

  • mal 10 Jul 2013 00:17:28 22,583 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm, not sure it'll be that direct an influence, if it has one at all. Sony have gone BSD for a reason, and I assume a large part of that reason is the BSD license, meaning you can build against it, include bits of it, just generally fuck about with it and still keep your source code secret. There's no way Sony are going to publicly release their BSD-targetting libraries, so it doesn't really help devs and publishers who want to port to other platforms.

    Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

  • DodgyPast 10 Jul 2013 00:30:07 8,475 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Hmm, not sure it'll be that direct an influence, if it has one at all. Sony have gone BSD for a reason, and I assume a large part of that reason is the BSD license, meaning you can build against it, include bits of it, just generally fuck about with it and still keep your source code secret. There's no way Sony are going to publicly release their BSD-targetting libraries, so it doesn't really help devs and publishers who want to port to other platforms.
    Ah I see what you mean.

    Though it would be a fun way to give MS a kick in the nuts. After all it wouldn't be that different to the easier combination of Xbox / Windows development. In theory Sony could licence access to the libraries to devs.
  • Hexagon 6 Aug 2013 21:49:33 352 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    mal wrote:
    Hmm, not sure it'll be that direct an influence, if it has one at all. Sony have gone BSD for a reason, and I assume a large part of that reason is the BSD license, meaning you can build against it, include bits of it, just generally fuck about with it and still keep your source code secret. There's no way Sony are going to publicly release their BSD-targetting libraries, so it doesn't really help devs and publishers who want to port to other platforms.
    Ah I see what you mean.

    Though it would be a fun way to give MS a kick in the nuts. After all it wouldn't be that different to the easier combination of Xbox / Windows development. In theory Sony could licence access to the libraries to devs.
    I know it's a bit late, but here is more information on the subject. Saw this piece and thought to post it here!

    GOG for Linux!

  • Hexagon 9 Aug 2013 13:55:57 352 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So according to at least one developer, developing for Linux is easier than developing for Mac OS...

    GOG for Linux!

  • Hexagon 13 Aug 2013 20:56:20 352 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Metro: Last Light has been confirmed for Linux.

    GOG for Linux!

  • Page

    of 10 First / Last

Log in or register to reply