Guild Wars 2 Page 4

• Page

of 79 First / Last

• hypoBla5t 15 Dec 2011 07:45:30 1,391 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mesmer confirmed. Bagsy it!!

We actually gonna see a beta this year we reckon? Running out of time...
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 15 Dec 2011 08:53:54 37,766 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This year? No chance.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• WinterSnowblind 15 Dec 2011 12:28:54 1,227 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The beta was just confirmed to start on Friday :)

Closed beta mind you, but they've already said that there likely won't be any kind of beta open to the public, just a preview weekend type thing closer to the release.

At least it seems the game is getting somewhere.
  • Nasty 16 Jan 2012 14:16:07 4,741 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not seen this. @1:20 Holy Cow.
  • Nasty 21 Feb 2012 14:35:32 4,741 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Some of the press beta footage is all kinds of :o

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/press-closed-beta-test-t27964.html
  • Benno 21 Feb 2012 19:00:35 9,840 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOyPUx5d72M

looks amazing
  • Benno 21 Feb 2012 19:06:47 9,840 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    you know the only thing that really bugs me about guild wars is the player animations

they look so floaty and the movement from running forward to strafing looks naff and unrealistic

wish some of the animators from blizzard were involved
  • hypoBla5t 22 Feb 2012 20:06:58 1,391 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH JUSTGOTANEMAILFORTHEBETASIGNUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • cowell 22 Feb 2012 20:38:20 691 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Which confirms you've applied. Doesn't mean your in the beta
  • hypoBla5t 22 Feb 2012 21:09:15 1,391 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yep. Didn't suggest otherwise for a second. I think that's pretty exciting news, I apologise for obviously ruining your day with my excitement for this game.
  • Pinky_Floyd 22 Feb 2012 21:13:48 7,679 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOyPUx5d72M

looks amazing
    That was 2.5 minutes of someone zooming in and out of a world map. Refund please.
  • Benno 26 Feb 2012 20:54:12 9,840 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its an awesome map though
  • Nasty 28 Feb 2012 13:46:06 4,741 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Home run!

Think I may be playing a guardian :D:D:D
  • Machetazo 2 Mar 2012 12:36:03 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GW2 Warrior skills narrated demo - stick around to 15 mins or so in for PvP action that looks really good, too.
  • Nasty 2 Mar 2012 13:33:45 4,741 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Loving the thinking behind the hidden puzzles too. Ideal for eejits like me who just fancy a wander now and again.
  • RedSparrows 2 Mar 2012 18:32:26 22,258 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This looks SO MUCH like my kinda time-sink. The puzzles/platforming only adds to that.

Slightly skittish movement, however.
  • Dr_Mech 3 Mar 2012 23:41:47 1,018 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well can safely say I'll be playing this, pretty much required to since I test MMOs my friends are interested in.

However I'm torn on what I want to play Engineer with a Flamethrower (which is pretty much a Pyro from TF2, right down to having the 'airblast' ability') or a Ranger since ye olde WoW character was a hunter...and I want to annoy one of my friends because he is terrified of spiders...which shall be one of the first beasties I tame given the chance.

From what I've heard the levelling is...interesting.

Basically every level will take you exactly the same amount of time, it doesn't get longer the higher the level, 79 to 80 takes just as much time as 1 to 2.
  • Nasty 4 Mar 2012 09:30:27 4,741 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Think initially I'm going for Guardian to satisfy my big hammer smashy smashy needs and also really looking formward to the elementalist. I usually dont go for caster classes much, but juggling all those abilities looks like mad fun.

Edit: Surprised there's been no commentary from EG on the press beta access.

Edited by Nasty at 09:45:23 04-03-2012
  • WinterSnowblind 4 Mar 2012 09:43:27 1,227 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Dr_Mech
    GW2 is very much the anti-WoW. I actually think a lot of people are going to end up disappointing, when they realise there's no 'carrot on a stick' mentality at all.

Leveling does always take the same amount of time (after level 15, I believe), going back to lower level areas make you scale down to keep the content decently challenging, there's no gear to farm - dungeons always give you set rewards to choose from, there's no "best" gear, after a certain point everything is totally cosmetic, and so forth.

These things alone make it sound like the greatest MMO ever to me. But it's pretty obvious that there's a certain group of people who are going to lose interest when they realise the game is about actually having skill, not time to grind, and they'll leave once they see they don't have an e-peen to wave around.
  • Orange 4 Mar 2012 11:04:17 4,740 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I had such high expectations for this after GW1 and all the features, they were working on. It didn't seem possible they could deliver but all the preview vids have been breathtaking. Genuinely rewarding exploration in PVE, public quests with epic boss fights in every zone, grand scale pvp and moved away from the holy trinity gameplay.

Only issues atm seem to be toning down the particle effects, bug and balance fixes. I expect with that volume of content there will be a lot of polishing and stress testing required.

Like with GW1 it does seem to help them a lot not having a subscription model, no need to dripfeed content or put in timesinks. It also helps them their art style has always been so strong that vanity items are worth buying.
  • Nasty 4 Mar 2012 12:16:59 4,741 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I found the idea of real money vanity items in WoW, where I was already paying monthly and for expansions, pretty greedy tbh. In effect, I had already paid for someone to develop the sparkly horse, there was no way I was paying for it again. At most they should have cost some in game currency of some kind.

On the other hand, I can't see me not forking out for some bling in GW2 :D
  • RedSparrows 4 Mar 2012 17:25:05 22,258 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm seriously tempted to get a new PC for this. Not that I think it'll be that demanding, but mine simply won't play it.
  • Venkman90 5 Mar 2012 11:56:21 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nasty wrote:
    I found the idea of real money vanity items in WoW, where I was already paying monthly and for expansions, pretty greedy tbh. In effect, I had already paid for someone to develop the sparkly horse, there was no way I was paying for it again. At most they should have cost some in game currency of some kind.

On the other hand, I can't see me not forking out for some bling in GW2 :D
    Yeah, WoW has sneakily moved over to the GW2 model while still charging a sub. No new content of any worth baring the x-pacs (which you pay a lot for), in game monetization of items.

The Deathwing patch, in my mind was technically part of the Cata x-pac that you just had to wait for, they are not constantly adding great content.
  • Dr_Mech 5 Mar 2012 12:40:47 1,018 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @WinterSnowblind

Aye this is pretty much what has got everyone of my MMO playing friends interested.

That and much like WoW, it'll run on a PC that is donkeys years old because and I quote "We wanted people who could play Guild Wars 1 to be able to play Guild Wars 2" so it looks like it'll scale really well according to your hardware so top end hardware it'll look downright stunning and on low end hardware it'll run smoothly it just won't look as good.

Isn't the skill points system also an anti-grind method as well?

Basically if people just grind the same mobs over and over again without going exploring they'll not find any of the skill point challenges and thus can't get any of the extra skills and so wouldn't be able to preform as well as someone who explored they're way to level 80.

The one thing that really got me about WoW charging for services was the renaming/Server transfers/whathaveyou being frankly ridiculously priced. WoW server transfer costs 25, takes three days to go through and can't be done for a month after that on the same character. City of Heroes server transfers are given away free with subscription (1 per month) or costs 8, are instant and you can switch a character between servers as soon as it's gone through.

So how comes a game that is raking in as much money a WoW has a WORSE system than a game who isn't nearly making as much bank...the simple answer would obviously be pure greed.

Talking of Epic bosses...sweet monkey christ did you see the size of the Dragon public event bosses (seen the lightning one and the zombie one on youtube)...they're the size of a small Island, definitely the biggest raid style bosses I've seen.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 12:49:42 05-03-2012
  • Dr_Mech 5 Mar 2012 21:26:09 1,018 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    rodpad wrote:
    Dr_Mech wrote:
    WoW server transfer costs 25, takes three days to go through and can't be done for a month after that on the same character.
    I agree it should be free, however that's nonsense. It costs 15, average time is an hour and can be moved again 3 days later.
    Ah my bad, I could have sworn that what I said was right but eh twas a long time ago that I did one so my balls up to be fair.

Still I hope GW2 is more along the lines of City of Heroes price structure for stuff rather than WoW price structure for stuff.
  • Orange 6 Mar 2012 00:34:26 4,740 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Previously in GW1 you could switch between districts whenever you wanted. I can understand them wanting to put in a limit for World vs World, just hope it isn't an extortionate system like WoW. I can't see Anet doing that though.

My one big concern about the game now is how they cope with server loads. All these public quests with mega bosses and large scale pvp. It's a big change from instancing everything.
  • Nasty 12 Mar 2012 17:37:23 4,741 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Beta invites 'shortly' according to email.

Woo and yay.
  • Orange 12 Mar 2012 22:45:44 4,740 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've been back playing GW1 to stack up my hall of monuments. Just need to finish War in Kryta to push it up to 21 points, that's enough for the Chosen title and a focus to complete my weapon and armour set.
  • Page

of 79 First / Last