• phAge 15 Dec 2010 11:49:14 24,349 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looks stupid. But fun.
  • kalel 15 Dec 2010 12:10:47 87,180 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    convercide wrote:
    It looks terrible. They've just ignored the original premise behind the character. What a gyp.

Looks like it's based on Ultimate Thor, which makes sense as all the rest of the recent Marvel movies have been far close to the Ultimates universe than the classic one.

I think it looks alright myself. You can see how they're building towards the Avengers movie. I can see that vision of Thor and the Downey version of Iron Man playing well off each other.
  • Goban 15 Dec 2010 12:15:29 9,052 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looks entertaining enough, not quite sure what people are expecting from it.
  • GrandpaUlrira 15 Dec 2010 12:23:17 3,753 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We've all seen that sort of stuff before. It would have been awesome before Sam Raimi's Spider-man, or Bryan Singer's X-men, but now it's all very meh. Thor would have been more interesting if it was more cosmic.
  • kalel 15 Dec 2010 12:24:41 87,180 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Doesn't really look like either of those films to me.
  • GrandpaUlrira 15 Dec 2010 12:33:07 3,753 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The point is that there is going to be absolutely nothing about the action or most of the scenarios that we haven't already seen in countless films based on comics. In the mid-90s it would have been brilliant, but now there isn't a single thing you can pick out of that trailer that you haven't really seen before. Except perhaps the Asgard stuff.
  • Spanky 15 Dec 2010 12:34:11 14,481 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looks more like Ghost Rider.

Not enough helmet, needs major helmet.

Plubs

• nickthegun 15 Dec 2010 12:34:43 59,537 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im becoming more and more convinced that the Ultimates line was created purely as a bedding ground for the movies.

As such, the Fantastic Four reboot is going to be annoying.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Spanky 15 Dec 2010 12:36:09 14,481 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sure Mark MIllar wrote them specifically using movie language, casting people as certain characters, getting wozname to lightbox his arse off on the artwork. Hope he gets some cash out of all this(not that he needs it).

Plubs

• GrandpaUlrira 15 Dec 2010 12:36:18 3,753 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What did they do to the F4 in the Ultimates line? I used to love proper F4, but picked up a a few of newer comics a few years ago and it was awful.
  • kalel 15 Dec 2010 12:38:53 87,180 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GrandpaUlrira wrote:
    The point is that there is going to be absolutely nothing about the action or most of the scenarios that we haven't already seen in countless films based on comics. In the mid-90s it would have been brilliant, but now there isn't a single thing you can pick out of that trailer that you haven't really seen before. Except perhaps the Asgard stuff.

You could make the same criticism of any genre movie, which is 99% of movies.
  • Spanky 15 Dec 2010 12:38:59 14,481 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nothing much other than rewrite the classic stories and bring in the Marvel Zombies, which's been run into the ground and fucked into mush.

Plubs

• nickthegun 15 Dec 2010 12:39:11 59,537 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    Not enough helmet, needs major helmet.

No helmet for the ultimate version!

• Spanky 15 Dec 2010 12:47:03 14,481 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ultimate Thor doesn't have a cape either though.

Plubs

• nickthegun 15 Dec 2010 12:48:51 59,537 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GrandpaUlrira wrote:
    What did they do to the F4 in the Ultimates line? I used to love proper F4, but picked up a a few of newer comics a few years ago and it was awful.

In summary, the baxter building was a school for child geniuses that the government funds in exchange for first dibs on anything useful they create.

Sue and Reed are the star pupils at the school, Johnny and Sue are the son and daughter of the professor who runs the project and Ben is reeds pal from high school.

They dont get exposed to radiation in space, instead they get caught up in an experiment to teleport to the negative zone which gives them all powers.

Hilarity and greg hand ensue.

• CosmicFuzz 15 Dec 2010 12:48:51 23,950 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GrandpaUlrira wrote:

I only read the first bunch of Ultimate FF, wasn't anything special.

The current run with Hickman is pretty good though.

Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

• nickthegun 15 Dec 2010 12:49:48 59,537 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    Ultimate Thor doesn't have a cape either though.

They probably thought they could get away with a cape but drew the line a a gaylord winged helmet.

• Spanky 15 Dec 2010 12:52:15 14,481 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Helmet is more appropriate than a cape, being a norse warrior god he's more likely to have a helmet than wear a red cape in tribute to the Superman.

Plubs

• nickthegun 15 Dec 2010 12:53:06 59,537 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The norse had capes to keep them warm. Superman has one because hes a fruit.

• Load_2.0 15 Dec 2010 12:53:31 19,159 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He is too handsome to hide behind a helmet, look at that hair, glorious!
  • Spanky 15 Dec 2010 12:58:07 14,481 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah look at his big muscles and packet, without his helmet it'll make it easier for him to rim nick whilst he lies prone on his wee red blanket. Nom Nom.

Plubs

• sport 15 Dec 2010 13:02:24 12,706 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Load "$" wrote:
    He is too handsome to hide behind a helmet, look at that hair, glorious!

+1

I'm glad someone else appreciates the hair!
  • nickthegun 15 Dec 2010 13:03:27 59,537 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And without a cape there will be easier rear access and the wings on his helmet will provide excellent bugger grips.

• GrandpaUlrira 15 Dec 2010 13:06:07 3,753 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    GrandpaUlrira wrote:

You could make the same criticism of any genre movie, which is 99% of movies.
    I don't think that's true at all, and there is a lot you can do within the superheroes genre. When Blade came out, it was relatively edgy and 'adult' for a Marvel comics film. Spider-man was genuinely thrilling, not least because the character was relatively huge i.e. Superman and Batman levels, and it was a job well done. Even X-Men, as turgid and dull as it is now, was interesting as the first superhero team film we had. Ang Lee's Hulk film, even though it's an acquired taste, was trying something interesting in terms of bringing real drama to the central character while trying to maintain a comic look and feel. Iron Man had 'proper' actors, and in Robert Downey Jnr they had an actor at his charismatic best.

Before X-Men, in terms of good superhero films we had Superman and Batman. That was it. There were so few decent examples that it was fine to do the origin story, estabilish the bad guy in a mid-film action sequence and then have a big fight at the end. It didn't matter that the action was only averagely staged, that the script was so-so, or that the actors were a bit shit. You hadn't seen it before, so it was fresh and fun. Expectations have changed.

I am a sucker for these films, and I'll go and see Thor, but the trailer is underwhelming enough that I'm expecting something at the quality of the Norton Hulk film. My point being that it would have been great ten years ago, but I'm getting a bit bored of the formula now.
  • CosmicFuzz 15 Dec 2010 13:08:19 23,950 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    But what else would you be expecting? Or what else could you do? It's an action film based on a comic. The fact that it's based on a comic means nothing really - it's an action film, if you've seen action films before you'll know what to expect.

Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

• GrandpaUlrira 15 Dec 2010 13:18:53 3,753 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was expecting the greatest box office flop of all time, a Thor full of old-style speech, lots of Asgard action, a winged helmet, the whole shebang. There's a reason I'm not a movie producer :-) Or even just one action clip where I think: that looks awesome. Just one.
  • Buztafen 15 Dec 2010 13:20:20 16,210 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fuck Thor, where's Beta Ray Bill? I want that horsefaced goit to smash some shit up!
  • CosmicFuzz 15 Dec 2010 13:20:59 23,950 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    THOU SHALT BE SMITED etc etc :D

• CosmicFuzz 15 Dec 2010 13:21:37 23,950 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I agree there's no one clip in the trailer that matches the bit in the first Iron Man where he shoots the missile onto the tank and blows it up whilst walking away.

• sport 15 Dec 2010 13:23:21 12,706 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    THOU SHALT BE SMITTEN etc etc :D

hmmm......dreamy Thor.......
  • Page

of 9 First / Last