• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Pike 13 May 2010 13:53:22 13,446 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Who cares?

Seriously. I don't mean that in a dismissive rude way, I'm literally asking, who cares? Is there such a thing as a Nokia fan base? If they stop making phones altogether will a whole group of people simply no longer own phones?

Don't see the issue really.

My mum would go mad. Does any anyone else do phones for techno tards?

Well, a bit lat to answer this, but what the hell.

That type of phone is pretty much the core business for Doro. They are supposedly pretty good at catering to their niche's needs.
  • mrharvest 13 May 2010 13:59:43 5,194 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I find it unlikely that Nokia "can turn it around". They don't even understand what's wrong with their business and what they are good at.
  • nickthegun 24 May 2010 17:08:13 59,429 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Get a new battery off ebay and keep on truckin'

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Fizzog 24 May 2010 17:32:55 4,108 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nokia have an image problem in my opinion.

I'm in the market for a new phone and I didn't even consider them, I forget they even still existed!

They also need to be more creative with their phone names and take a leaf from HTC's book. Hero, Legend, Wildfire, Desire, ect.
  • JuanKerr 25 May 2010 09:16:21 36,239 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I usually just take whatever phone Vodafone offers me for free when it's time to upgrade. Pretty much always go with Nokia because I've had them for years and not bothered with the iPhone because I'm not a cunt. Mind you, if they offer me one for free, I'd take it.
  • UncleLou Moderator 25 May 2010 09:21:50 35,506 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fizzog wrote:
    They also need to be more creative with their phone names and take a leaf from HTC's book. Hero, Legend, Wildfire, Desire, ect.

Yup, I think that is a major marketing problem. They seem to launch 27 new phones every 3 months, all with slightly different numbers as their trademark. WTF.
  • Red-Moose 25 May 2010 09:30:35 5,346 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    an actual Eyephone would be cool. Sort of like Terminator, you could video call and see the person in your own HUD in your eye, and audio done by those vibration microphones.
  • Load_2.0 25 May 2010 09:39:12 19,139 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Turn it around? No one comes close to matching them for brand awareness or market share and penetration.

I don't know where some of these figures are coming from but looking at year end 2009

Nokia have 36.4% of the total mobile market, their closest "competitors" are Samsung (19.5%) and LG (10.1%).

And yes even with the holy grail that is the iphone they still dominate in the smart phone sector.

Nokia have 46.9%, Research In Motion (BlackBerry) 19.9%, Apple's 14.4%

Given the massive flux in sales that occurs in each quarter I am suprised that there was a 14% drop in sghare prices but I doubt would be any long term damage to the share price.

Struggling is not a term I would use to describe their current situation.

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3/news/2263301/mobile-phone-sales-growing

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/feb/23/mobile-phone-sales-2009-gartner
  • presh 25 May 2010 10:04:06 1,221 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Load

Agree that Nokia is much stronger than all the media hysteria would indicate. However, they still continue to have problems in the US - where Apple, RIM and now Android have greater share of the high end device market - and they have never really managed to establish a foothold in China, despite years of trying.

They do seem to have lost direction with the attempts to embrace more services. It's arguable that by trying to stay proprietary - with Ovi store, Ovi maps, Nokia Comes With Music - they have sunk billions into services which arguably consumers have no loyalty to.

I've worked with many people from Nokia over the years, and pretty much every single one of them says Nokia has never launched a service that was profitable. It's always the handsets that make the money.

Brand perception is key. They do need to work to maintain the belief that Nokia is high quality - Sony Ericsson has really suffered and lost market share through a few poor handsets that it's failed to shake off.
  • Retroid Moderator 25 May 2010 11:49:49 44,505 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thing is that even though the games-on-MMC-card design for the original Ngage was stupid (and I only ever used it as a phone with the hands-free kit), it still showed off Symbian very well and I was running apps and emulators on it while everyone else around me was telling me to 'upgrade' so I could play the latest Java games (which mine could run most of the time anyway) or get Bluetooth (which it already had, cheers!).

If anything Nokia need a kick up the arse with the interface and offering freebie stuff - I know the apps are available but they don't have them offered on the (frankly a bit rubbish) Ovi store.
  • presh 25 May 2010 12:07:09 1,221 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Retroid:

Completely agree. Nokia's been way too stubborn in ignoring the fact that Symbian isn't user-friendly for noobs - that's hurting them now, with IPhone OS and Andoid showing the way (as well as HTC's Coverflow, Samsung's Bada and Qualcomm's Brew MP as well)

Really can't see that teaming up with Yahoo! is going to change anything there...
  • Vice.Destroyer 11 Feb 2011 11:27:28 5,827 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And just as I was thinking that Nokia would never turn it around, they announce a partnership with Nokia.

Never thought I would ever say this again, but my next phone may just be a Nokia phone.
  • disusedgenius 11 Feb 2011 11:33:28 5,278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nokia in a partnership with Nokia, you say? :)

This doesn't really inspire me with confidence though, I have to say. But we'll see, I haven't actually tried the new Windows phone stuff to be fair to it.
  • Deleted user 11 February 2011 11:33:44
    The best thing about Nokia smartphones for me was Symbian. This news has killed any love I had for them. They've gone from making super reliable multi-tasking handsets with amazing battery life to opting for a shitty battery-draining flakey arsed OS :-(
  • pauleyc 11 Feb 2011 11:36:04 4,447 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    And just as I was thinking that Nokia would never turn it around, they announce a partnership with Microsoft.

Now I'm completely certain my next phone won't be a Nokia phone.
    Fixed your post. ;-)
  • Vice.Destroyer 11 Feb 2011 11:41:07 5,827 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oops!

:)

Thanks, guys
  • grey_matters 11 Feb 2011 11:42:10 3,690 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was hoping for a nice meego-based n9 this year. Dunno if I care that much now that it is stillborn.
  • The-Bodybuilder 11 Feb 2011 19:41:59 14,131 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TeleFunken wrote:
    The best thing about Nokia smartphones for me was Symbian. This news has killed any love I had for them. They've gone from making super reliable multi-tasking handsets with amazing battery life to opting for a shitty battery-draining flakey arsed OS :-(

If there's one thing WP7 isn't, it's battery-draining. Flakey? Fo'Sho.
    Symbian, for all it's fanboy love, is one of the major reasons why they lost their way in the smarphone world. I's just......so.......DATED.
  • ronuds 11 Feb 2011 19:46:57 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is WP7 really that bad, or is it that people just hate MS so much that they'll say any old thing to slag them off?

I've heard pretty good things about WP7... from people who know stuff.
  • Toonster 11 Feb 2011 19:51:53 6,842 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fuck that, bring out N-GAGE 2!

BELIEVE!

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• BravoGolf Moderator 11 Feb 2011 19:53:16 12,740 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I believe Nokia will turn it around.
  • Whatsfor 11 Feb 2011 21:52:31 2,189 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    And just as I was thinking that Nokia would never turn it around, they announce a partnership with Nokia.

Never thought I would ever say this again, but my next phone may just be a Nokia phone.

Two turkeys don't make a turkey?

;)
  • mcmonkeyplc 11 Feb 2011 22:45:40 39,438 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As citizens of the EU it is your duty to buy EU made goods.

Buy Nokia!

Think American to beat American :)

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Deleted user 11 February 2011 22:48:18
    Depends on the phone.............I mean if you said HTC 5 years ago you wouldn't have a fucking clue who they were.

Nokia make phones so all they have to do is wake the fuck up move out of the late 90s and make a fucking good one.
  • gamingdave 11 Feb 2011 22:53:11 4,216 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well the N95 8GB was the finest phone I ever owned, and I still use it as a backup phone. The iPhone has overtaken it for web use but until the 3GS it lacked at maps and general speed.

Unfortunately every phone of theirs since has missed the mark for me. Tried a Win7 phone a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. Very fast interface and some very logical structure.

Will be getting a high powered Android next, but I will definitely be keeping an eye on what comes out of the stable here.
  • Deleted user 11 February 2011 22:54:15
    Nokia's WP7 concept.
  • The-Bodybuilder 12 Feb 2011 00:28:47 14,131 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    Is WP7 really that bad, or is it that people just hate MS so much that they'll say any old thing to slag them off?

I've heard pretty good things about WP7... from people who know stuff.

90% of all WP7S comments are from people who have ever used it.
    I own one, and it's got great potential, it's probably the most fun to use. It's lagging in some areas though, and my HD7 is buggy at times.
  • Deleted user 12 February 2011 00:32:47
    Unless Apple and Google make a massive arse of their next things then I predict an incredibly rocky future.

Nokia just seem like they're in the wrong decade. Even in the last one.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last