Can Nokia turn it around? Page 8

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Deleted user 6 March 2012 13:34:22
    grey_matters wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    1.3 mhz processor?

:lol:
    Heh, sorry about that. Changed to GHz now.
    I presume this is still an ARM11 core as it doesn't claim otherwise anywhere. The white one doesn't look that bad at all. Looking forward to a few decent reviews of these things.
    It's "only" a single core CPU but there's separate GPUs to deal with the images created by that sensor.

After looking at a few hands-ons and what-not this is so my next phone. I've been dying to get back to Symbian and this is the perfect excuse
  • grey_matters 6 Mar 2012 13:47:38 3,687 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    grey_matters wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    1.3 mhz processor?

:lol:
    Heh, sorry about that. Changed to GHz now.
    I presume this is still an ARM11 core as it doesn't claim otherwise anywhere. The white one doesn't look that bad at all. Looking forward to a few decent reviews of these things.
    It's "only" a single core CPU but there's separate GPUs to deal with the images created by that sensor.

After looking at a few hands-ons and what-not this is so my next phone. I've been dying to get back to Symbian and this is the perfect excuse
    Yeah, if the reviews are good enough I might go for something like this. I've still more than 12 months on my Galaxy S2 contract though so it'll be fighting against the Galaxy S3, a rumoured Galaxy S4 plus whatever other magical stuff is out by then.
  • mcmonkeyplc 6 Mar 2012 13:59:14 39,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They aren't releasing the pure view in the states....that means a windows phone version is round the corner.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• grey_matters 6 Mar 2012 14:01:34 3,687 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    They aren't releasing the pure view in the states....that means a windows phone version is round the corner.
    Not necessarily. They might just think Symbian (well, Nokia Belle) is not going to sell there. In fact, there is some talk of 2013 and the first update to Apollo for a PureView windows phone.

Edit: Link

Edited by grey_matters at 14:04:57 06-03-2012
  • CharlieStCloud 6 Mar 2012 14:05:17 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PureView imaging technology coming to our Windows Phones

That'll be the day!

I think my Lumia 800 is super good for taking photos albeit a little bit too 'real' as oppose to the vibrant colours that the Galaxy II and iPhone 4S camera produces.

Oh, and thanks to my friend (!) I am now aware of the PenTile bobbins as as showed me the whole deal on my phone. It kind of stupidly bothers me sometimes now!
  • Deleted user 6 March 2012 14:22:11
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    I've used Windows Phone (my current handset). I prefer Symbian
  • Deleted user 6 March 2012 14:24:08
    CharlieStCloud wrote:

Oh, and thanks to my friend (!) I am now aware of the PenTile bobbins as as showed me the whole deal on my phone. It kind of stupidly bothers me sometimes now!
    What's Pentile? The new HD iPad screens have been confirmed as being Pentile.
  • mcmonkeyplc 6 Mar 2012 14:37:45 39,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I binged this

• Deleted user 6 March 2012 15:33:10
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    I binged this
    I can do that too, but it doesn't tell me why it's supposed to be annoying (although I can see that being insanely troublesome to colour-blind folks such as myself) :-)
  • Vice.Destroyer 19 Apr 2012 17:43:01 5,825 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh my goodness. A humungous loss. Why don't Microsoft buy Nokia already? Might as well.
  • Psychotext 19 Apr 2012 17:46:37 53,915 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Might as well wait until they get a ton cheaper. Patent grab.
  • ronuds 19 Apr 2012 18:12:53 21,788 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    Oh my goodness. A humungous loss. Why don't Microsoft buy Nokia already? Might as well.
    Not sure if their woes have anything to do with WP, but just look at their phones in comparison to others. Shirley they must see the need to hire a better design team?
  • CharlieStCloud 19 Apr 2012 18:17:02 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    ... but just look at their phones in comparison to others. Shirley they must see the need to hire a better design team?
    I can say, with my hand on my heart, that the Lumia 800 and 900 are two of the very best looking phones (and beautifully crafted/designed too) I have ever seen and held.

You are talking utter bobbins!
  • ronuds 19 Apr 2012 18:23:12 21,788 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe iYo, but iMo even the dated iPhone looks like something from the future next to the Nokias. Samsung, Motorola and LG's designs crap all over Nokia's, imo.

I have nada against Nokia, btw. They hold a fond place in my heart, but I can't help to look at their latest designs and be unimpressed.
  • HoraceGoesSquiffy 19 Apr 2012 18:38:01 1,566 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ronuds - What specifically about the Lumia 800/900 hardware design bothers you? They're light, the screens are nice (if lacking in resolution). The buttons are ok, if a little bit spongey. It's a bar of polycarbonate with a black screen on it, so there's not much to hate really is there? It must come down to taste really.

My only real hardware criticism is the crappy little hinged socket cover, but I wouldn't write them off from that standpoint.

For the record, I have an iPhone4 currently.
  • oceanmotion 19 Apr 2012 18:43:58 15,759 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm not too fond of the slightly raised screen and maybe the shell material looking a little toy like but you can't say the rest are better, they are unimaginative dross. At Nokia are trying some different approaches.

In other news, Nokia CEO says

We have launched four Lumia devices ahead of schedule to encouraging awards and popular acclaim. The actual sales results have been mixed. We exceeded expectations in markets including the United States, but establishing momentum in certain markets including the UK has been more challenging.
    Link

During the conference call today with analysts and investors, Elop attributed Nokia's stronger U.S. sales to the fact that it's been able to target its training and sales message. He said T-Mobile USA showed a strong commitment to selling the Lumia 710.

Elop said that the company has employed a similar strategy with the launch of the Lumia 900 at AT&T. Specifically, the company has sent out a "veritable army of Nokia employees" to train sales associates in AT&T stores. And he said that training is still ongoing with an emphasis on making sure that associates can articulate the differences in Nokia's Windows Phones. He said that this focus has resulted in the strong sales.

He explained that in markets, such as the U.K., devices are sold in a variety of retailers and carriers. Consumers don't buy their phones from one particular carrier. This makes it difficult to train sales associates to sell the devices. With that, Elop said the company has learned something with each product launch, and he expects the company to employ strategies that have been successful in one market in other markets as it continues to roll out the Lumia products.
    Tough nut to crack it seems. Must be a hard sell when they can easily shift an Android phone or iPhone to a customer.
  • ronuds 19 Apr 2012 19:40:22 21,788 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HoraceGoesSquiffy wrote:
    @ronuds - What specifically about the Lumia 800/900 hardware design bothers you? They're light, the screens are nice (if lacking in resolution). The buttons are ok, if a little bit spongey. It's a bar of polycarbonate with a black screen on it, so there's not much to hate really is there? It must come down to taste really.
    Yes, it comes to taste. I merely represent one man's opinion.

My biggest issue with the design is the screen's size in comparison to the rest of the phone. Everyone seems to be moving toward borderless screens, while Nokia seems to have taken it in the other direction.

I'm a borderless kind of guy.
  • Psychotext 19 Apr 2012 19:46:43 53,915 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love the 800 (and the 900). There are only two phones I'd have considered otherwise.

1: iPhone 4S (I'm not the biggest Apple fan)
    2: Galaxy Note (Realistically a bit big)

Can't wait to see if they can stick that insane camera sensor in a decent phone for the Windows 8 launch.
  • Anthony_UK 20 Apr 2012 00:03:58 2,473 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think it helps that most phone shop staff are fanboys themselves.

I was recently and will be again looking at windows phone, mainly because of mum is after one as her next phone. She's loves that it can do similar tasks to my iPhone but everything is linked and laid out in a simple way for her to understand.

Not that was any interest to any of the phone shops we went in.

'what do you want one of those for?'
    'Android phones are miles better'
    'IPhones are miles better'

In the 3 to 4 shops we tried, all of them bent over backwards to mainly steer us towards an android phone even after I explained why she liked and wanted a windows phone.

Pretty crazy really, especially when these people are employed to sell the bloody things
  • pauleyc 24 Apr 2012 16:48:35 4,447 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh-oh: Fitch downgrades Nokia to "junk status".

Time will tell whether Nokia can turn it around, sooner or later, time will tell...
  • Deleted user 24 April 2012 20:53:28
    pauleyc wrote:
    Oh-oh: Fitch downgrades Nokia to "junk status".

Time will tell whether Nokia can turn it around, sooner or later, time will tell...
    If they turn it around it will only be after a buyout.
  • grey_matters 9 May 2012 15:20:33 3,687 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seriously impressive CSI-style "zoom in...now enhance" stuff in this vid.

Skip to 3:13 or so, and wait for the good stuff.

Edit: In fact, 4:20 is probably a better time to skip to.

Edited by grey_matters at 16:57:22 09-05-2012
  • Psychotext 9 May 2012 16:53:38 53,915 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll just repeat what I said earlier...

Psychotext wrote:
    Can't wait to see if they can stick that insane camera sensor in a decent phone for the Windows 8 launch.
  • mcmonkeyplc 18 Oct 2012 11:41:06 39,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Maybe the start of the Espoo striking back

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 11:43:02 18-10-2012

• Psychotext 18 Oct 2012 12:11:47 53,915 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They still really, really need the new Lumias to kick some arse.
  • mcmonkeyplc 18 Oct 2012 12:13:11 39,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They do but the beta testers of the first Lumia did a good job :)

Hopefully the actual Lumia's will be more successful :)

• mikew1985 18 Oct 2012 12:20:01 12,645 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Meh I bought a Lumia 800 contributing to the above but I suspect this is my 2nd and last ever Nokia, nice phone but WP7 has not grabbed me. It's the poor cousin of both viable alternatives and MS's approach to fucking over WP7; making all existing handsets obselete, I'd have to be stupid to bother with giving it a chance, given I'll need to invest heavily in a new handset that will likely cost the equivalent of a top of the range Android or iPhone handset.

Maybe I'm alone in this opinion but I doubt it somehow.
  • mcmonkeyplc 18 Oct 2012 12:23:41 39,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I sympathise MikeW. MS did shaft you guys and I was so very close to buying a Lumia 900.

• nickthegun 18 Oct 2012 12:25:22 59,300 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The delay of the 900 until the iPhone 5 was announced probably didn't help.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• mcmonkeyplc 18 Oct 2012 12:27:08 39,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    920 the Lumia 900 was dead on arrival in the UK fucking pointless release.

• Page

of 10 First / Last