iPad game/app review thread Page 51

• Page

of 54 First / Last

• JayG 2 Jun 2013 12:28:46 833 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know I'm in the minority, but until Dragon Age 2 Neverwinter Nights was the Bioware game I couldn't stand. Not that into multiplayer, and the single player was awful.
  • TarickStonefire 2 Jun 2013 13:08:52 2,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    PrivateFloyd wrote:
    Splurged on KOTOR yesterday, runs like a dream on ipad mini. flying out to Paphos today for 2 weeks so will be excellent night time gaming once the wife and child are asleep.

Never played it before, am I for a treat? I can't find a negative word about it on the internetz.
    I enjoyed it. I'm sure some people hate it. Oh look, there's a few up there ;)

It's the best Star Wars adventure game I ever played, for sure. Although, there's not much competition. I expect RPG experts may well have reason to consider it a weak game, but personally I just enjoyed the experience.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Stranded87 2 Jun 2013 17:37:02 865 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm playing KotOR on the iPad too. Played it when it came out but haven't gone back since then. So far it's as good as I remember and a brilliant port. Can't see how anyone who likes any of Bioware's post KotOR output could fail to also like KotOR, but then maybe the haters don't like any of Bioware's later stuff. In which case fair enough, I can totally see why people wouldn't like that style of game and it's certainly a departure from Bioware's Dungeons and Dragons phase.

To my mind from best to worst their RPG's go:

Baldur's Gate 2
    Dragon Age
    KotOR
    Mass Effect 2
    Mass Effect
    Neverwinter Nights
    Mass Effect 3
    Jade Empire
    Baldur's Gate
    Dragon Age 2
    That Sonic crap

Edited by Stranded87 at 17:40:56 02-06-2013

Edited by Stranded87 at 20:49:56 02-06-2013
  • TOOTR 2 Jun 2013 18:20:55 9,498 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Star Wars Pinball is down to 69p right now, get get get!
    Good spot! Nice one.

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• Widge Moderator 3 Jun 2013 11:55:42 13,268 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Stranded87 wrote:
    Can't see how anyone who likes any of Bioware's post KotOR output could fail to also like KotOR,
    I found their dialogue a bit sucky and I don't think I grasped the combat system properly. Played through KOTOR with gritted teeth before trading it in. Giving it another chance on the pad though.

Since then, I found Dragon Age had the same tedious dialogue. Wading through constant NPC blah in case I missed a mission trigger, and Mass Effect 1 was borderline like that on the first visit to the citadel... thankfully it seriously stepped it up, and then excelled in the following games.

Can't comment on BG2, but assuming it isn't a talkie, and thereby dialogue is possibly more palatable.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• TarickStonefire 3 Jun 2013 13:57:46 2,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Have to say, I don't think I've ever played a single RPG that didn't have dialogue I'd have happily skipped, or read a quick summary of, so that whole aspect of RPG criticism is level playing field, a moot point, to me.

And everything else about it I enjoyed. So...

• THFourteen 3 Jun 2013 14:02:06 32,880 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm enjoying reading the text on warhammer. Its so like being part of a DND adventure its funny
  • ecureuil 3 Jun 2013 15:20:44 76,529 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    KOTOR is good in that you can skip through the dialogue. I tend to read it all and not really listen to the voices.
  • CharlieStCloud 3 Jun 2013 15:40:02 5,098 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Plants vs. Zombies 2 is free to play ...

... HOORAY!

*sobs*
  • THFourteen 3 Jun 2013 15:54:21 32,880 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Plants vs. Zombies 2 is free to play ...

... HOORAY!

*sobs*
    Suits me - i spent £10 on it the first time round and only played it for about 30mins!
  • sirtacos 3 Jun 2013 18:03:46 7,271 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Kotor is surprisingly good on the ipad. Good port. I'm impressed.

Is this the start of proper games on the pad? I hope so. Moar plz.
  • TarickStonefire 3 Jun 2013 18:52:19 2,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    KOTOR is good in that you can skip through the dialogue. I tend to read it all and not really listen to the voices.
    Actually I enjoyed listening to it in Mass Effect. That's the only one I've *really* got attached to the characters and the performances.

• Widge Moderator 4 Jun 2013 07:12:31 13,268 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    I'm doing that for the aliens, they tend to go on a little bit too long!

_ _ _

• Widge Moderator 4 Jun 2013 07:13:50 13,268 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Have to say, I don't think I've ever played a single RPG that didn't have dialogue I'd have happily skipped, or read a quick summary of, so that whole aspect of RPG criticism is level playing field, a moot point, to me.

And everything else about it I enjoyed. So...
    As I say, moaned about it loads in the past but giving it another try. It took aaaages for me to warm to ME but once I did, I was hooked!

_ _ _

• TOOTR 4 Jun 2013 10:37:46 9,498 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's a plants vs zombies 2?

O_o

• CharlieStCloud 4 Jun 2013 10:45:01 5,098 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Suits me - I spent £10 on it the first time round and only played it for about 30mins!
    That's your problem!

... I would rather pay £10 (although I paid £3.99 for the original) for Plants vs. Zombies 2 as oppose to the 'free' to play model. It is a really shitty thing they have done and makes me wonder just how much influence EA had in the decision, seeing as PopCap most likely wouldn't go ahead with it if they were still an independent studio.

: (
  • TarickStonefire 4 Jun 2013 13:27:40 2,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    TOOTR wrote:
    There's a plants vs zombies 2?

O_o
    No, there's a fairly boring-looking 'expansion pack' style take on the same game in, oooooh, different settings, that's 'giving itself away for free' as if it's not going to to try and pester the shit out of everyone for money in order to avoid relentless grinding.

If you need an example of how this is likely to turn out, look at how many coins were required for the powerups in PVZ1, versus how many were handed out in-game, after it introduced IAPs last year.

Thousands, versus a handful.

So yeah I'm sure it will be free to play, but it'll also be one hell of a grind, which is when gameplay stops being gameplay and starts being a chore :(

I could, of course, be *completely* wrong.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 13:28:30 04-06-2013

• PatrickEwing 4 Jun 2013 14:00:21 2,127 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I Just hope the new Kingdom Rush out this Friday hasn't gone the same way regarding IAP
  • Blakester 4 Jun 2013 15:50:00 3,580 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There's a new Kingdom Rush this Friday?

*Weeps for joy*

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• PatrickEwing 4 Jun 2013 15:59:53 2,127 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yup
  • TOOTR 5 Jun 2013 06:02:17 9,498 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    List Price Drop ($17.99 -> $8.99) for the “FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: THE WAR OF THE LIONS for iPad” App.

• lucky_jim 5 Jun 2013 07:16:12 5,260 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TOOTR wrote:
    List Price Drop ($17.99 -> $8.99) for the “FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: THE WAR OF THE LIONS for iPad” App.
    Good shout (it's at £5.99 in real money, if anyone's wondering). A few weeks ago I would have pounced on that, but having got a Vita a couple of weeks ago, I think I might prefer a version that works on that.

Anyone know how the controls are implemented on iOS? I.e., does it have proper touch-screen controls that are responsive, rather than a shabbily implemented virtual joystick or really slow unresponsive touch-screen navigation?
  • THFourteen 5 Jun 2013 07:49:04 32,880 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I must have tried to play FF Tactics on about 3 different platforms and each time i just dont get it. Same with Disgaea. Which is odd as i love TBS games.

Speaking of which, really enjoying Warhammer. Its not actually very difficult at all on the medium setting. Making my commutes whizz by!
  • Stranded87 5 Jun 2013 08:43:53 865 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Warhammer is ace. Between that and KotOR I've got more games than time, but I still bought phoenix wright anyway. I've barely wanted to play anything on my iPad in months and now all this comes out at once.
  • THFourteen 5 Jun 2013 08:44:46 32,880 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really want KOTOR but i refuse to buy it until i finish baldurs gate...
  • Articulate-Troll 6 Jun 2013 05:04:57 3,104 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kingdom Rush Frontiers is out. It's awesome. Not many huge changes but lots of subtle improvements. There are in-app purchases for the heroes but you definitely don't need them to play.
  • Widge Moderator 7 Jun 2013 12:13:29 13,268 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FFT via discount pls

_ _ _

• HoriZon 17 Jun 2013 14:15:12 13,498 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is out this Thursday the 20th (So, Wednesday at 11:00 PM, most likely.) for $19.99. It'll run on the iPad 2, 3, 3, and mini, as well as the iPhone 4S, 5, and 5th generation iPod touches. It will have iCloud and Gamecenter support too. Additionally, multiplayer is said to be coming later via a free update.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• THFourteen 17 Jun 2013 14:15:53 32,880 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HoriZon wrote:
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is out this Thursday the 20th (So, Wednesday at 11:00 PM, most likely.) for $19.99. It'll run on the iPad 2, 3, 3, and mini, as well as the iPhone 4S, 5, and 5th generation iPod touches. It will have iCloud and Gamecenter support too. Additionally, multiplayer is said to be coming later via a free update.

NOOOOOOOOOOO

i havent finished warhammer yet
    or baldurs gate
    or bought KOTOR

FML.
  • TarickStonefire 18 Jun 2013 13:04:20 2,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've got to stop buying iOS 'proper' games. I play them for a couple of days and then lose interest. It's just far too easy to get distracted by, well, anything at all when using an iPad or iPhone for any sort of game. For some reason I can only give my full attention to a 'proper' game when it's on my computer or console.

eg, got Warhammer, loved it, thought it was amazing, this is the next best thing to having XCOM on my iPad, what a game, then two days later zero interest in plodding through it. Feels like a waste of my time. And yet, I've happily dropped hours and hours and hours into State of Decay or XCOM on the 360.

At £14, this version of XCOM is not an impulse purchase and considering I still haven't finished it on my XBOX or my Mac, I should be kept well away from wasting the money on another version, especially one that has even less maps than the original ("you'll never see the same map twice playing the single player game" they said of the PC version, which is just not true).

Great game though. If anything's worth £14, it's going to be this.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 13:05:17 18-06-2013

• Page

of 54 First / Last