iPad game/app review thread Page 41

• Page

of 54 First / Last

• delbert 2 Aug 2012 15:29:08 2,889 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TOOTR wrote:
    Has anyone played Doom 2 rpg or Total war battles on IOS?

They are on discount tody and I'm tempted
    Haven't played TWB but bought it today at that price as had read some positive opinions on the web..
  • TOOTR 2 Aug 2012 15:31:07 9,513 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah reckon I'll pick it up too. Some strong reviews.

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• Deleted user 24 August 2012 12:24:30
    Post deleted
  • lucky_jim 31 Aug 2012 07:27:20 5,276 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fans of Spiderweb's Avadon might be interested in Avernum being reduced to 2.99 (presumably for the weekend).
  • Blakester 31 Aug 2012 09:55:51 3,593 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I picked up Bastion on iPad yesterday and it's immense.

On the new iPad it's indistinguishable from the XBLA version, a real treat for the eyes and ears.

I was worried about the control mechanism, but the gesture-based system works surprisingly well. Go get it guys!

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Fab4 31 Aug 2012 12:19:13 5,986 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bastion looks really impressive.
  • Slurmseh 31 Aug 2012 19:06:08 2,336 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The World Ends With You is out. 16 though. Would be tempted to play it again but BG:EE is only a few weeks away and that will consume me.
  • mrpon 4 Sep 2012 10:56:46 28,713 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Update out for iPlayer now with download capability. Downloads saved for 30 days.

A 60 minute high quality file is 630MB

Edited by mrpon at 11:26:27 04-09-2012

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• RyanDS 4 Sep 2012 11:23:52 9,154 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Slurmseh wrote:
    The World Ends With You is out. 16 though. Would be tempted to play it again but BG:EE is only a few weeks away and that will consume me.
    Is there a date yet for Baldur's Gate as opposed to "september" yet?
  • Nth 4 Sep 2012 12:21:32 3,120 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Why did I not know there was a TVCatchup app?
  • mrpon 4 Sep 2012 13:59:04 28,713 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Because you don't follow this thread! Been mentioned a few times.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• ram 4 Sep 2012 14:00:18 3,476 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oh gawd just downloaded Zookeeper Battles. Brilliant.
  • HoriZon 4 Sep 2012 15:58:13 13,522 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    oh I like the new iPlayer app the US one has had this for a while but lacks the same content as ours for obvious reasons.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• Slurmseh 5 Sep 2012 04:59:18 2,336 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RyanDS Nope no exact date. They can't promise one because it's up to Apple. They'll send the app in for approval the week before the 18th I believe and then it's in Apple's hands.
  • superdelphinus 5 Sep 2012 09:05:09 8,038 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Have they put the red button channel back on tv catchup yet?
  • DaM 5 Sep 2012 21:32:42 12,968 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    I picked up Bastion on iPad yesterday and it's immense.

On the new iPad it's indistinguishable from the XBLA version, a real treat for the eyes and ears.

I was worried about the control mechanism, but the gesture-based system works surprisingly well. Go get it guys!
    Loving Bastion, it's really good. I didn't really get the demo on XBLA, and would have predicted this would be pants due to controls, but they work very well. I'd have to say it's the best "proper" game I've played on the iPad.
  • binky Moderator 11 Sep 2012 11:43:20 9,560 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Guys can you recommend me a comic book app? Or if it's not an app I need, then the best method of reading comics on iPad?
  • RyanDS 11 Sep 2012 12:05:47 9,154 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    binky wrote:
    Guys can you recommend me a comic book app? Or if it's not an app I need, then the best method of reading comics on iPad?
    I personally use iComix. Basic but it does the job.
  • lucky_jim 11 Sep 2012 12:24:15 5,276 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @binky
    ComicZeal is the one most people used, but their massive UI change a while ago really put a lot of people off (I absolutely hated it for months, and still think the old one was better). It's grown on me a bit since then, but it's still needlessly infuriating to get to grips with. Once you do, though, it works pretty nicely.
  • binky Moderator 11 Sep 2012 12:37:43 9,560 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cool, I'll take a look although I've just downloaded comixology which seems to be the most popular free viewer on the app store right now.
  • binky Moderator 11 Sep 2012 14:13:14 9,560 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @lucky_jim With Comic Zeal, can you double tap a panel to view and then swipe the page over to go to the next panel?
  • Dr-Strangelove 11 Sep 2012 14:26:39 2,130 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I use bookman and cloudreaders.

The former is nice looking with a book shelf and nice thumbnail interface, the latter is a no frills reader that does the Job superbly.
  • Nth 11 Sep 2012 14:37:44 3,120 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've spent an absurd amount of time playing Chimpact lately.
  • binky Moderator 11 Sep 2012 17:52:31 9,560 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dammit, it looked like Comic Zeal was what I needed, so shelled out for it, and it doesn't do the lovely panning feature of say ComicX. Boo!
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 11 Sep 2012 22:14:30 6,654 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If modern games cost so many millions and take so many hundreds of people to make, how come gameloft can just rip them off in next to no time and charge frig all. Baffling tbh.

Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 22:14:52 11-09-2012
  • PrivateFloyd 12 Sep 2012 20:30:23 4,110 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A trio of mini-reviews;

Bastion 2.99

I was initially very skeptical about this port, virtual joysticks as a general rule just are not good enough.

So glad I was wrong.

I missed out on this on XBLA so went in as a newbie. Cannot believe the sheer amount of content you get for 2.99. I changed the settings to the virtual joysticks rather than the gesture based controls and they are perfect, not once have i felt that they have impeded my progress.

The graphics are sublime on the "new" ipad as well.

Based on the quality, controls, graphics and value this has to be a....

10/10

Mikey-Shorts 69p

Another ambassador for virtual controls done right. Navigate Mikey through environments by simply running, jumping and sliding in the quickest way possible whilst "rescuing" people.

Starts quite easy but 3-starring the later levels can be a bit tough. Got a lovely charm to it with the pixel art and soundtrack.

8/10

Super Hexagon 69p on offer at the moment

A game from Terry Cavanagh (maker of VVVVVV). The whole premise of the game is to navigate through the pyschadelic barriers the game chucks out whilst pumping along to some fantastic chip music (this is a real highlight). As you progress the layout and shapes of the barriers change. It PROPER fucks with your head.

Controls are OK, i worry that at later speeds they could get in the way but for now they are good.

I have said it already but the music is awesome, play it with headphones.

It has already been moaned about on itunes reviews for being too hardcore, it is bastard hard and not for the casual crowd. It harks back to the "one more go" time of classic arcade games.

Has anyone tried it yet? On the base difficulty I am only up to 34 seconds!!

I can see this staying on my ipad for awhile, it really is fantastic.

9/10

Goat is hungry.....

• IMadeThis 12 Sep 2012 22:01:10 1,036 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @PrivateFloyd
    Well done PF, it's been a while since anyone actually provided a review in here. Tempted by Super Hexagon now ta, and wondered about Bastion.

I get so little play time on iPhone and iPad at the mo, I'd just be adding to my list of 'to play' so I'll store these in my 'to buy' list instead. Good work though.
  • PrivateFloyd 12 Sep 2012 22:13:32 4,110 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @IMadeThis

No worries man. I have a 6 month old so finding less time for prolonged gaming sessions atm so getting back into a bit of ipad gaming. I actually really loved playing Bastion on it.

Quite looking forward to Baldurs Gate as i missed it the first time around.

I'd get Super Hexagon as it goes back up to 2 soon.

Goat is hungry.....

• lucky_jim 13 Sep 2012 08:11:52 5,276 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @PrivateFloyd

Re virtual joysticks, probably the best bit of tat I've bought for my iPad since I got it is a pair of Fling Controllers. They work far better than they've got any right to, and any game that uses virtual sticks is instantly transformed (playing Geometry Wars with a pair of these is especially great!). I've not bothered with Bastion as I've got it on the 360, but I imagine these would make the iPad version even better.
    http://tenonedesign.com/fling.php
  • Page

of 54 First / Last