General Android questions Page 2

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• brokenkey 16 Aug 2010 09:16:06 6,983 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ginger wrote:
    brokenkey wrote:
    people places like Africa, India can buy Android phones for $100. that fact alone should give you a pretty good idea as to why Android is going to be much, much bigger than iPhone.

But until the apps on android come up to scratch the iPhone will remain the better platform.

That's all down to the developers though - if the hardware and OS differences between the different android devices don't prove to be a major blocker, then as the numbers of the androids overtakes iphone then developers should go after the bigger market.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Deleted user 16 August 2010 09:24:18
    Ginger wrote:
    brokenkey wrote:
    people places like Africa, India can buy Android phones for $100. that fact alone should give you a pretty good idea as to why Android is going to be much, much bigger than iPhone.

But until the apps on android come up to scratch the iPhone will remain the better platform.

Some would argue (including me) though that the core app's on Android are better than iPhone. Browser, Navigation (including My Tracks), Swype, Widgets, Flash etc
  • Ginger 16 Aug 2010 10:42:38 6,829 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd actually agree that the core apps on android are better but I think that's only a small kart of these phones. The app market (even free apps) are so much better and so much mire professional than android apps (in general).

Market size will make a difference, but market value us just as key. If the android population is 10 times larger but discretionary spend is 10 times lower then why would app devs move across, incurring all the cost of learning a new platform.

It's an interesting discussion that's for sure :)

London open taekwondo champion

• Deleted user 16 August 2010 10:48:09
    You're quite right, from a development point Apple is a far more attractive proposition.
    So much so that even though I have an Android phone and use Java day-to-day, I have bought a macbook & touch and have learnt Obj-C to develop a game for iPhone instead of Android.
  • pauleyc 16 Aug 2010 12:35:35 4,447 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh-oh. It seems Google might be responsible for quite a screw-up as far as the UK is concerned (the original thread linked from xda is also valuable).

Now, factory resetting an Android phone should clear all the dowloaded apps and personal data, right? Quite a loss if you don't have a backup program/don't use only Google contacts or mail.
  • Deleted user 9 September 2010 12:51:03
    So, the phone budget is in, I'd like to move the company away from those hateful blackberrys, is android the one?
  • morriss 9 Sep 2010 20:47:59 70,929 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd say yes, but I haven't used iPhone 4 extensively.
  • bigshot316 23 Sep 2010 09:28:58 23,571 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone having a connection issue on 'Wordfeud' this morning?
  • TakeTheVeil 13 Oct 2010 16:14:52 5,058 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Has anyone used an Orange "San Francisco" (ZTE Blade)?

Thinking of picking one up as I lost my phone and it seems like a superb phone for the price
  • figgis 13 Oct 2010 16:23:37 7,376 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    So, the phone budget is in, I'd like to move the company away from those hateful blackberrys, is android the one?

If your syncing with Exchange I'd say yes. it's a piece of piss to setup, you might need an app called lock picker to prevent the passwords being asked for constantly.

Main problem is the possibility of users loading dodgy apps.
  • Restart 13 Oct 2010 18:23:47 4,710 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TakeTheVeil wrote:
    Has anyone used an Orange "San Francisco" (ZTE Blade)?

Thinking of picking one up as I lost my phone and it seems like a superb phone for the price

I've got one, & it's a really nice piece of kit. Played with a friends iPhone a bit, & the San Francisco isn't far off in terms of functionality. The screen is really nice (o-led I believe) & it has pretty nice sound through the speakers. Haven't found all that much of use from the Android Marketplace yet, but I haven't really had the chance to download much, since I'm without wi-fi, & my 100mb Orange limit is spent.

You can get a code off FleaBay for 99p if you want to unlock it. I'll likely do it once my Orange credit has ran out & pick up a deal on Tesco or T-Mobile with 1gb data.
  • ironside_online 24 Oct 2010 20:59:16 15 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've had a San Fran for a couple of weeks now. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
    - It was only 99.
    - Great bright screen.
    - It was only 99.

Cons:
    - WiFi bug where it disconnects when the screen goes to standby and doesn't reconnect.
    - Runs Android 2.1 (and probably no upgrade to 2.2 or even 3 when it's released).
    - Only 150Mb of internal storage (which fills up pretty quickly).
    - Poor camera.
    - Angry Birds is glitchy on the San Francisco.
    - The screen gets really greasy, really quickly (which never happened on my old Samsung S5600).

But those gripes are minor, really. I'm enjoying playing around with the phone. Haven't entered the world of rooting and ROMs yet, but they're easily available for the phone.
  • crashVoodoo 24 Oct 2010 22:09:59 3,871 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's a power thing it think. Android phones do disconnect wifi when the screen goes off. You can tell it to never power off in the wifi settings > advanced settings and it will stay connected.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• PearOfAnguish 24 Oct 2010 22:12:40 7,202 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    - Only 150Mb of internal storage (which fills up pretty quickly).

This is a big problem on the Desire, too. Really annoying they don't provide more internal storage.
  • ironside_online 25 Oct 2010 22:15:52 15 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @crashVoodoo

Tried that and it doesn't work :( It's some kind of hardware (or possibly software) bug. I don't think it's just the San Fran that's affected.

@PearOfAnguish
    The paltry internal storage would be okay if Android 2.1 supported App2SD. But it doesn't. You can get round it by downloading apps from other places (like Angry Birds from GetJar) and installing those on the SD card, but anything from the marketplace has to go in the internal memory.
  • Lukey__b 25 Oct 2010 22:51:06 3,716 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ironside_online wrote:
    @crashVoodoo

Tried that and it doesn't work :( It's some kind of hardware (or possibly software) bug. I don't think it's just the San Fran that's affected.

@PearOfAnguish
    The paltry internal storage would be okay if Android 2.1 supported App2SD. But it doesn't. You can get round it by downloading apps from other places (like Angry Birds from GetJar) and installing those on the SD card, but anything from the marketplace has to go in the internal memory.

Not true on the marketplace front. I've not verified it, but a couple of apps that I have had recently had updates that allow you to move the app to the SD card and these updates are on the marketplace.

Again, not verrified, I just checked what they had updated and that was the only thing.

'Sup, what's guanine?

• ironside_online 26 Oct 2010 19:32:45 15 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oooo, that sounds cool. I assume you're on Android 2.1 or below (which I am). I think it's a whole other kettle of fish on 2.2.
  • Lukey__b 26 Oct 2010 23:20:47 3,716 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm on 2.1 as I have been making a mess of getting an SD card for my phone. Are you saying that 2.2 does not support it, or that it does.... or that you don't know? lol, sorry but I could take that last comment a few different ways.

'Sup, what's guanine?

• crashVoodoo 27 Oct 2010 20:18:18 3,871 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    2.2 has the ability to move apps to the sd card
    Apparently some apps will give this option even if you are still on 2.1

Personally ive never had an issue with storage. It's possible that I just didn't download as many apps as other people.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• ironside_online 30 Oct 2010 13:39:53 15 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sorry, I meant that I know 2.2 supports App2SD, but afaik 2.1 doesn't.
  • Restart 4 Nov 2010 16:58:42 4,710 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've just switched my Android handset (Orange San Francisco/ZTE Blade) over to Tesco Mobile, & whilst the signal is fantastic it doesn't seem to want to play ball with the 3G signal for internet access.

Does anyone know how I would go about manually setting this up?
  • bigshot316 11 Nov 2010 09:49:29 23,571 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anybody happen to have a simpletons guide to using ScummVM on the Desire?

I have it unzipped on the SD card, I can open it up fine but when I go to Add game, and click on The Dig which I have unzipped in its own Folder inside the ScummVM folder, it cannot find a game?...

I'm sure I am doing it right.
  • bigshot316 11 Nov 2010 11:30:04 23,571 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anybody?
  • mikew1985 11 Nov 2010 11:32:02 12,656 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ScummVM is out?

I totally forgot it was being worked on!
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeep!

Can't wait to try it when i get home.
  • bigshot316 11 Nov 2010 11:33:37 23,571 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah there's a link on the Android forums.

If you figure it out, please let me know- I have the technological understanding of a Walrus.
  • mikew1985 11 Nov 2010 11:43:30 12,656 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Will do. I'm pretty confident I'll figure it out.

Btw, just a wild swing here, and not sure if they're needed anymore since3 the big new release but did you download the game specific plugin?
  • lexxx 11 Nov 2010 12:42:39 166 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Restart wrote:
    I've just switched my Android handset (Orange San Francisco/ZTE Blade) over to Tesco Mobile, & whilst the signal is fantastic it doesn't seem to want to play ball with the 3G signal for internet access.

Does anyone know how I would go about manually setting this up?

If you didn't already work this out, go to http://www.filesaveas.com/gprs.html and take note of the Tesco-Mobile GPRS settings; then on your phone go to Settings -> Wireless & Network settings -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names

then press menu to add a new APN, enter the settings in there and it should hopefully connect to the 3g network

I should add that I did it with T-Mobile and it worked fine
  • Restart 12 Nov 2010 17:28:36 4,710 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks for the reply. I found the settings on the Modaco Android forums eventually though, & with Tesco Mobile now have a 3G+ connection, together with a constant 3 or 4 bar connection no matter where I go.
  • bigshot316 16 Nov 2010 12:53:26 23,571 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sorry Mike I never replied.

i was just being a bit thick- just download the new ScummVM from the Android forum, stick it on the SD card, and do the same with the games.

Scumm opens from the shortcut, and you can just add games from the SD card through Scumm itself.

If you get what I mean.

Playing the Dig at the moment, it's awesome- my only complaint being that the trackball sensitivity is lame, and if you use the touch screen you cannot mouse hover over stuff.

Will try DOTT later this week.
  • mcmonkeyplc 9 Dec 2010 10:02:05 39,438 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is there anyone that's recently gone from apples CUNTING iphone to Android?

Can you please give your impressions.

I have reservations about the following:

Fragmentation of userbase and apps: Do apps tell you what you require in the apps store?

Media player: Is there a decent media player for Android now? I heard this was it's biggest weakness.

Sync with PC, what kind of software does it use? Can it do wireless update? As in over a home wireless network. I know it does over the air updates.

Thanks

Your's apple hater.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Page

of 10 First / Last