General Android questions Page 7

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• darrenb 29 Apr 2012 20:22:35 678 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My battery also died quickly after updating to ICS on an S2, it was never that good to be honest before.

What browser are you using, I was using Dolphin and now I have stopped using that my battery life is MUCH better.
  • Vortex808 29 Apr 2012 20:23:48 7,153 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have tried that, and have now set it to restrict background data to see if that helps. It does leave an annoying warning symbol on screen though. Which annoys me more than it probably should!

After a few charges the battery life does seem to be settling down a bit to be more like usual for some reason.

Edit: Just using the default browser darren, as it seems ok.

Edited by Vortex808 at 20:25:09 29-04-2012
  • Dougs 29 Apr 2012 21:04:53 67,757 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, that warning bugs the hell out of me too!
  • DodgyPast 30 Apr 2012 01:21:36 8,469 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chrome is rather superb.

Battery life does tend to improve over time after a major flash.

Once on ICS try Apex launcher. Can move to a 5x4 grid for your homescreens. If you do, play with the scrollable widgets from APW. They do make iPhone users rather jealous.

Edited by DodgyPast at 01:22:49 30-04-2012
  • crashVoodoo 1 May 2012 15:50:37 3,909 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    I have tried that, and have now set it to restrict background data to see if that helps. It does leave an annoying warning symbol on screen though. Which annoys me more than it probably should!

After a few charges the battery life does seem to be settling down a bit to be more like usual for some reason.

Edit: Just using the default browser darren, as it seems ok.
    Have you tried dropping to 2g when not really using the device? It will expend quite a bit of power trying to stay 3g when most of the time you probably aren't even using it.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• mrpon 1 May 2012 15:52:01 28,922 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    Once on ICS try Apex launcher. Can move to a 5x4 grid for your homescreens.
    I tried a 7x7, gets a bit cramped!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• DodgyPast 1 May 2012 17:41:47 8,469 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    DodgyPast wrote:
    Once on ICS try Apex launcher. Can move to a 5x4 grid for your homescreens.
    I tried a 7x7, gets a bit cramped!
    Widgets get a bit messy after 5x4. Though I'm using 6x4 fine after dropping the LCD density to 200.
  • kingcrowbar 1 May 2012 20:03:13 917 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is there any way to set country specific search engines in Chrome beta? It doesn't seem to let me change it to the English version and instead must be basing it on my IP or location settings.
  • crashVoodoo 1 May 2012 21:53:25 3,909 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kingcrowbar wrote:
    Is there any way to set country specific search engines in Chrome beta? It doesn't seem to let me change it to the English version and instead must be basing it on my IP or location settings.
    Are there regional settings in android ?

Edited by crashVoodoo at 21:54:28 01-05-2012

• kingcrowbar 3 May 2012 07:27:56 917 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well there is the GPS/Wifi location stuff so that puts me in the country I'm in and then there is just the normal language settings stuff which I have in English.

The only other place I can think of to set it is at Google search settings but that makes no difference.

Hopefully when it comes out of beta it'll allow custom search engines.
  • THFourteen 25 May 2012 10:30:53 33,445 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is there an easy way to clean up my contacts / google contacts or whatever it is that my phone uses for contacts?

for example, if i create an event, and try to add a participant, i can start to type in a friends name

but if i do that, i get hundreds of entries with the same email address
  • Kilters 25 May 2012 10:42:58 574 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @THFourteen You can Merge duplicate contacts if you log into gmail on your PC and choose the contacts page.

Click on "More" and choose find and merge contacts.

This will work only if you're syncing contacts with your google account.

Cleaned up everything nicely for me.
  • THFourteen 25 May 2012 10:53:33 33,445 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ta, that seems to have helped a bit

looks like i need to get my hands dirty manually for the rest though. guess it will be worth it when i'm done. i'm a bit OCD about this sort of thing
  • crashVoodoo 25 May 2012 23:54:59 3,909 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Ta, that seems to have helped a bit

looks like i need to get my hands dirty manually for the rest though. guess it will be worth it when i'm done. i'm a bit OCD about this sort of thing
    Sometimes having an ocd for tidyness is a curse. I did all this when I first for my HTC hero. Took me a whole evening to tidy it all up. Its been tidy ever since and all is right in my head.

• TechnoHippy 15 Jun 2012 12:32:05 14,718 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Newbie question - is there a way to gift apps in Google Play?

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• PearOfAnguish 15 Jun 2012 13:03:23 7,297 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Is there an easy way to clean up my contacts / google contacts or whatever it is that my phone uses for contacts?
    Simply alienate all your friends and relatives so that they no longer want to talk to you, that way you can clear out your contacts entirely.
  • Syrette 30 Jun 2012 22:38:14 43,521 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had a quick Google and will go back to it later, but have any of you found that Android has to spend 2-3 minutes updating every time you reboot the phone?

This is since I got ICS on it I might add.

Luckily I don't have it off very often but it's annoying when I do.

• crashVoodoo 30 Jun 2012 23:53:56 3,909 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Had a quick Google and will go back to it later, but have any of you found that Android has to spend 2-3 minutes updating every time you reboot the phone?

This is since I got ICS on it I might add.

Luckily I don't have it off very often but it's annoying when I do.
    Updating what ?

My nexus boots, media scanner kicks in for about 10secs and then its ready to go.

• Syrette 1 Jul 2012 00:04:58 43,521 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @crashVoodoo

Android itself. It's the 'Optimizing Applications' screen you should see every time you upgrade the OS. Only I get it every time.

Someone in this thread recommends using Fastboot, not sure about that tbh - http://androidforums.com/htc-sensation/526937-android-updating-optimising-applications.html

Was really just wondering if anyone on here 'suffers' from it, not sure if it's common yet. As said I really shouldn't have my phone off much in the first place, the only reason I sometimes reboot it is because it occasionally requires a reboot to locate media on the SD card (that's an issue that's probably down to how I've mounted a 60GB card to it, which I believe is not officially supported).

• INSOMANiAC 29 Aug 2012 19:11:57 3,829 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hellooo just got myself a nexus 7 and its pretty good but I'd like to know if there a way to makes bookmarks on the home screen look like apps the way the iPad does rather than having a picture of a page with a tiny icon I in it. Looks rubbish. Searched the web but can't find nowt. Cheers !

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• CharlieStCloud 29 Aug 2012 20:30:03 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    ... I'd like to know if there a way to makes bookmarks on the home screen look like apps the way the iPad does rather than having a picture of a page with a tiny icon on in it.
    Unfortunately, you are stuck with how it is for the time being however, future updates shall (hopefully) offer a cleaner solution. Google always toy about with Chrome so, I reckon something will come of it ... one day!
  • INSOMANiAC 29 Aug 2012 21:40:24 3,829 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud oh well, thanks anyway, very surprised there's not an app that can change it but I'll have to live with it. Its more annoying that it actually shows you a nice app like picture in the bookmarks folder ! Pffft !

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• imamazed 8 Jan 2014 16:49:00 5,622 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmmm, OK, so it appears my phone (Xperia U, Android) is sending old texts back out to people. They're not even appearing on my screen but I've got a coupla confused texts back from people now. It's pretty disconcerting, and as far as I can see online, there's no easy solution. Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm about done with smartphones anyway, I'm hoping if I put my SIM in an old nokia the problem will go away.
  • eleven63 8 Jan 2014 17:19:04 1,603 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @imamazed Are you using stock SMS or 3rd party? might be worth trying a 3rd party app, and disable the stock from settings etc.

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• imamazed 8 Jan 2014 17:42:44 5,622 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @eleven63 stock.

Just deleted all messages (took an hour. One hour.). Hopefully that'll help but I'll have o way of knowing until I get a confused message from someone.

I don't have any data allowance on my plan, but I assume there are apps that access SMS directly? Also, I don't think you can permanently disable the stock app.
  • Sharzam 8 Jan 2014 17:50:00 2,880 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Never heard of that one personally. As for apps accessing sms yes there are plenty, you can see what apps have access to in settings > apps >select the app and scroll down to permissions.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• imamazed 8 Jan 2014 17:52:50 5,622 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I hope it's just the fact I had literally thousands and thousands of messages stored in the stock app. With them gone, hopefully it's ok...
  • eleven63 8 Jan 2014 17:53:07 1,603 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @imamazed I thought SMS had to be part of a data plan? plenty of apps use WiFi only to send SMS, but probably require the receiver to also have the same app - but I'm no teccy so could easily just be making this up ;)

I meant disable notifications, you are right, cant delete the stock apps, unless rooted.

An hour, blimey!

• eleven63 8 Jan 2014 17:55:07 1,603 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah, get you now about other apps accessing your SMS! @sharzam is correct with checking permissions :)

• mrcrumley 5 Feb 2014 17:24:01 376 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just wondered if anyone could recommend a battery efficient daily rom for the S4. Gf needs hers rooted but I'm not sure which roms are the go too ones. Thanks
  • Page

of 10 First / Last