Vaping adventures

• Page

of 119 First / Last

Previous
  • Dirtbox 7 Mar 2010 15:20:23 77,746 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Group for you to join

So I had to take a couple of long flights recently, and that meant no smoking. I've had aspirations of giving up for the longest time, but never really managed to go more than a few hours without clawing my hair out and skinning up a butt from the ashtray. Shit gets real. Those sucky plastic fags with a tampon of brain rapingly strong nicotine don't do me any favours.

So I bought one of those electric fags that make smoke and look like the real deal. I got mine (a Super Cigarette, for the record) from e cigarette web, but they're slightly cheaper elsewhere if you poke about, but the service was pretty good. It arrived really quick, ordered late Thursday and landed on my doorstep that Saturday.

It's a pretty simple affair, it looks like a regular fag, just a bit longer. Battery at one end and the nicotine at the other with the gismo that makes the smoke in the middle. I was sceptical.

Then I went a whole day without a proper fag for the first time in 20 years.

It takes some adjusting to, you don't get that pull that you get from a drag of a real fag, you don't feel the smoke going down your neck, in fact you aren't certain you've inhaled anything until you exhale. Once you get your brain around that small thing, you start to recognise the different feel of the vapour, it starts to do an okay job of replacing the need for a real cigarette.

Another thing I've noticed, cos I smoke rollies, is part of the whole ritual of tailoring a fag and lighting it is gone. I still get the urge to roll something up perfectly and haven't quite found a replacement for that.

Anyway, if you want to give up fags, or replace them with something harmless, then these are first class. I was sceptical at first, but it paid off.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• steellam 7 Mar 2010 15:30:42 1,045 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seen these advertised, are there no ill health effects from them at all ?
  • Dirtbox 7 Mar 2010 15:33:32 77,746 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Had it a couple of weeks now, it's replaced smoking tobacco altogether.

The smoke is created with some sort of non-carcinogenic food additive that has been ruled safe by the powers that be. It's not actually smoke, but vapour although you can blow smoke rings with it. And it smells pleasant.

• Metalfish 7 Mar 2010 15:35:49 8,818 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    steellam wrote:
    Seen these advertised, are there no ill health effects from them at all ?
    Well, a large dose of nicotine isn't ideal, but I don't think the health effects are quite on the same level as breathing in a shedload of smoke and tar.

Obviously you're better off giving up altogether but for some people this is about as close as they're likely to get.
  • kalel 7 Mar 2010 15:38:07 87,120 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    For what deebs used them for they are perfect, but if you're actually trying to give up smoking for good then it's best to take some advice about the best ways to use them, as they're not that helpful in breaking rituals and can even make you form a couple of new ones.
  • Dirtbox 7 Mar 2010 15:45:23 77,746 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, pretty much as kalel says.

It can be used to reduce your amount of nicotine intake over time, the capsules come in varying strengths from high to zero nicotine. I'm down to low now, and alternate between zero nicotine.

The cartridges last for about 2/3rds of a day. So basically 3 every two days, depending on usage. I was on about 20 regular fags a day.

I don't know if I'll give up, but this is cheaper, cleaner, healthier, convenient and all round more pleasant.

• Lukus 7 Mar 2010 15:45:37 19,050 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't get it. You say it's replaced smoking tobacco, how? What about the nicotine addiction?

Your preceding post has already answered my questions it seems.

Paintings & Photographs

• kalel 7 Mar 2010 15:46:51 87,120 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They have nicotine in. That's kinda the point.
  • Dirtbox 7 Mar 2010 15:46:58 77,746 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted

• TheRealBadabing 7 Mar 2010 15:51:19 1,300 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:A friend of mine got through quite a few and they all went wrong eventually. Wondering which brands are well built as there seem to be a lot of rubbish ones available.
    Lots of badly made ones out there but even the best made versions don't last forever. Good news is that due to their modular design they are really cheap and easy to "fix".

I love my e-cigs. Problem is most people see them as a way to give up all forms of nicotine product. When you acknowledge that nicotine isn't the harmful part of tobacco, you realise that you can "smoke" these things for the rest of your life. No need to go cold turkey or stress out about it.

Even so, if you are that way inclined, you can reduce the strength of the solution over time and end up simply enjoying a favourite flavour with no nicotine at all.

Quick hint for you DB - never ask if it's ok for you to use one in a pub/restaurant. Human nature is to say no and then it becomes a debate about legality etc. At first you may get some funny looks from other customers but when they realise there is no smell, nobody minds.
  • Dirtbox 7 Mar 2010 15:53:40 77,746 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have a tip for anyone deciding to give these a whirl, I watching this video of some extremely pleased with himself Geordie bloke who worked out how to have the cig make more smoke. I did this and the nicotine hit was like a slap in the face, and worse, the cartridges lasted no more than 4 hours each.

So don't bother doing this, a good thing to learn quickly is for the most part, you're roleplaying smoking a cigarette. The amount of smoke is irrelevant, as is the shape/size/smell/taste of the cigarette.

ed: I still feel a bit self concious about using it in public places, but I'll do that TheRealBadabing. When I was on the plane I was having a suck on it and holding it down till the smoke was gone.

• morriss 7 Mar 2010 15:56:00 70,947 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nothing wrong with being addicte to Nicotine. Well, nothing that'll kill you, anyway.
  • bauhaus 7 Mar 2010 17:32:15 3,512 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    can you only buy these things online?
  • Deleted user 7 March 2010 17:32:18
    I remember reading about a test some lab did with these, and worked out that a large proportion of them are just placebos - in that they don't give you any nicotine whatsoever, even on the high nicotine cartridges. Think they did find some that did as they were supposed to though.
  • Dirtbox 7 Mar 2010 17:54:32 77,746 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Possibly, but it's a very effective placebo if this is the case. A strong nicotine hit makes you a bit dizzy, and when you take a suck of one of these you mentally examine your physiology for that effect, which you get very quickly.

It's quite likely it's all in the mind, however I did do a test on day 2 to see what would happen if I had a fag's worth of this then struck up a regular cig: Aside from the fag tasting like burning tires, I felt pretty green around the gills and boggy in the way you do when you've smoked too much.

So in this case, I don't personally think it is a placebo, but honestly, I'm not sure it really matters. You could argue that the first cigarette was simply the first actual nicotine hit I'd had in over 24 hours so caused that effect, I really couldn't tell you for certain.

• Psychotext 7 Mar 2010 17:55:04 53,984 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    I remember reading about a test some lab did with these, and worked out that a large proportion of them are just placebos - in that they don't give you any nicotine whatsoever, even on the high nicotine cartridges. Think they did find some that did as they were supposed to though.
    I remember a follow up on one of those tests (probably not the one you're talking about)... the muppets had tested the 0% nicotine cartridges.

sciencelol

On topic, it wont be long before these have basically been killed off (it's a little more complicated than that though), which pisses me off significantly.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ecigarettes/

Because yeah, clearly having people smoke normal cigarettes is a better idea.
  • Psychotext 7 Mar 2010 17:59:28 53,984 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As for the nicotine hit in general, I tested it not long after I first saw one of those reports with a bit of a blind test. I got my missus to fill my carts over the course of a month and I wrote down what I thought they were. I got all but 2 days right (where I couldn't tell the difference between low and medium).

High was obvious though. I haven't been smoking full nicotine cigarettes for a long time and as soon as I had finished puffing I needed to sit down. lol (reminded me of when I started smoking, and how much fun a nicotine rush was :)
  • Dirtbox 7 Mar 2010 18:02:26 77,746 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I read about that, it seems currently in a bit of a deadlock. Nicotine being a taxable substance, yet the gov not seeing any money. Fuckers.

• Metalfish 7 Mar 2010 18:06:19 8,818 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If they're going to ban them for some reason could it be that it's comparatively easy to purify the nicotine from them into a potent poison?
  • Psychotext 7 Mar 2010 18:08:56 53,984 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think on balance... health vs taxes. Taxes wins 99% of time.
  • TheRealBadabing 7 Mar 2010 18:20:30 1,300 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Does seem a little strange that the anti-smoking groups like ASH are dead set against e-cigs. Seems strange until you realise that they are massively funded by the makers of nicotine patches etc.

There is no plan to specifically ban them though, these people are much sneakier than that. What is happening is that the pharma companies are trying to get them regulated as much as their own products, claiming they are nicotine replacement therapy (they are generally not marketed as such). The cost and delay associated with this will effectively kill the industry a lot quicker than any ban.

After seeing how easily this government is bought by big business (eg. that idiotic digital rights bill) I am sure e-cigs will disappear soon enough :(
  • Psychotext 7 Mar 2010 18:25:49 53,984 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    On a different note, vanilla icecream e-juice is full of win. Smells really nice too. :D
  • Dirtbox 7 Mar 2010 19:16:04 77,746 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Metalfish wrote:
    If they're going to ban them for some reason could it be that it's comparatively easy to purify the nicotine from them into a potent poison?
    No more than with a regular cigarette. It is a poison, but it's potency is somewhat overblown - you'd need 50mg to kill a man, which is a lot of cigs/cartridges.

• Dirtbox 7 Mar 2010 19:19:24 77,746 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    On a different note, vanilla icecream e-juice is full of win. Smells really nice too. :D
    How do those things work? I was mulling over buying them things and couldn't work out how to use it/if they were compatible.

• Psychotext 7 Mar 2010 19:20:45 53,984 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Without seeing what you're using, I wouldn't be able to tell.

Mine have cartridges with cotton wool inside. I simply fill the cartridge with whatever juice I want to use, and I away I go.
  • mal 7 Mar 2010 19:20:57 22,473 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Nothing wrong with being addicte to Nicotine. Well, nothing that'll kill you, anyway.

Yeah, I mean you might lose a leg thanks to DVT, but provided you get medical attention quickly enough it won't kill you. Oh, and it might give your child a birth defect if you're pregnant.

That said, nicotine seems to have remarkably few bad side effects compared to the number of good or just generally okay effects it has on the body. And it's by far the only interesting thing in cigarette smoke. And if it weren't such a widely used drug then no-one would've done the research that discovered it has a 0.01% additional risk of something bad happening to you.

Funnily enough, the one thing I miss most about not smoking is the fag breaks down the pub - so I still have a cig break - just don't smoke a cigarette during them. You get the best gossip outside by far.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Dirtbox 7 Mar 2010 19:27:39 77,746 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Without seeing what you're using, I wouldn't be able to tell.

Mine have cartridges with cotton wool inside. I simply fill the cartridge with whatever juice I want to use, and I away I go.
    This

It's got little filter things in the bottom of the cartridge that are about 1cm tall, they look sort of fibrous like cig filters, but not all that absorbent as the fibres are a little bit on the sparse side. Difficult to describe really.

Perhaps I could poke it out and put some cotton wool in there...

• deem 7 Mar 2010 19:32:39 31,641 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I have a tip for anyone deciding to give these a whirl, I watching this video .

lol, that was great! I don't think I've ever seen anyone so pleased with themselves! I thought he was a cock at first, but what a likable bloke! I couldn't help but laugh through pretty much all of it.

ANyway, cheers for the heads-up - I had no idea these existed, but will definitely have a look.
  • Psychotext 7 Mar 2010 19:37:23 53,984 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    This

It's got little filter things in the bottom of the cartridge that are about 1cm tall, they look sort of fibrous like cig filters, but not all that absorbent as the fibres are a little bit on the sparse side. Difficult to describe really.

Perhaps I could poke it out and put some cotton wool in there...
    Yeah, you basically wash them off (or buy some fresh ones), then you put about four drops of the juice into the cart, put the absorbent stuff back in, then put a couple more drops on top (so it's basically saturated, but not overflowing). Job done.
  • Page

of 119 First / Last

Previous