Socom 4 Page 4

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• jumpdeveraux 31 Mar 2011 13:20:50 182 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just played 2 more hours and died from being shot from left hand side considerably more due to the fact my "body" is blocking my view of people approaching as I spend a lot of time aiming which feels necessary to even hit anyone at mid range.

I would much prefer a first person view rather than be my own artificial line of sight issue.

Hit detection is odd, whacked half a clip into someone 6 feet away and no hits.
  • Progguitarist 31 Mar 2011 13:33:52 10,424 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It can be laggy sometimes definitely but generally the hit detection is good. I hear the camera is being change too as at present it's a tad too close to the character.
  • JYM60 31 Mar 2011 22:04:12 16,813 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Considering most of the people playing are americans, the servers must be made with some magical moondust. There is occasionally lag, but hardly frequent enough to really annoy.

COD vs americans, impossible. Heck, COD vs spanish is practically unplayable!

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• jumpdeveraux 31 Mar 2011 23:57:14 182 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hopefully the moondust improves - either that or some visual cue as to latency (even red/yellow/green) in the player list in game would be helpful.

Dying 90% of the time to headshots a la MAG. Loads of ppl on voice were complaining of lag in the game I was in - I killed a guy (with confirm in the scrolling kill log) only to run 12 feet and then die to his shot gun blast (clearly able to pull the trigger from the ether as the kill cam pointed at his corpse so he hadn't respawned).

Notice a LOT of ppl using P90, picked one up and you can snipe people with it half way across the map... not bad for an SMG...

Grenads and invisible walls are just a hilarious bug - odd it's there at this stage. I also noticed sometimes you're reticle says you can shoot (e.g. out of window) but when you fire all your bullets can hit the window sill)

Hopefully they tune it more in beta. Definite potential (though probably a few post launch patches to balance weaps knowing Zippers story with MAG)
  • HisDudness 1 Apr 2011 00:27:27 974 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I alternated between this and MAG the whole night, and have to say that Zipper knows what they are doing when it comes to MP shooters.

The Classic mode in SOCOM is more fun than the respawn in my opinion. I've got no history with SOCOM (was busy playing Counter Strike), but I can see that the game is much more interesting when you only have one life per round. It's definitely more than a small scale 3rd person MAG.

Here's an update on the patch notes from the official boards:

First Patch SOCOM 4 Retail Version 1.XX
    Estimated Release: April 2011

* Multiplayer camera pulled further behind character (cuts off at around the mid-to-upper thigh)
    * Multiplayer camera field of view has been widened by roughly 20%
    * Firing accuracy has been improved for all weapons and aim modes; first few shots are substantially more accurate (with less accuracy the longer full-auto is employed)
    * Considerably increased horizontal and vertical recoil to all weapons in ACOG and Red Dot views
    * Decreased effective range of all SMGs
    * Reduced throw distance for all grenades
    * Made improvements to the HUD to make teammate names display above their head if they are onscreen; removed allied names (leaving only icons) when spotting friendlies at a distance;
    * Made adjustments to XP system so that it takes longer to gain character and weapon mod levels
    * More to come, stay tuned...
  • JYM60 1 Apr 2011 00:33:01 16,813 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've certainly had some laggy shit. Kill delay, etc. Shot the shit out of a guy, who kills me, then goes and starts planting a bomb, then dies from me. Clearly some lag, but maybe once every 10 games from my experience.

SMGs are definitely the best guns in the game, and P90, considering it's clip size, is way OP.

I have not had the invisible wall grenade thing happen to me, but on the topic of grenades, they're hoping to patch in grenade arc for them. Ridiculously, it was in the alpha build but removed so airstrike (which adds nothing imo) could be on R2.

Some people have played ridiculous amounts. I feel I've played a lot, about 7 hours level 20something. But I've came across people who were like rank 95. O.o

• JBlokeUK 1 Apr 2011 00:58:07 2,309 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    HisDudness wrote:
    but I can see that the game is much more interesting when you only have one life per round.

It was like this in Socom 2, but in Socom 2 you'd sit there watching the remainder of your team mates trying to win the round for your team. Socom 2 is the best online game I've played mostly because of this, although the brilliant maps was a big help.

If Socom 4 can get back to the classic Socom 2 days, then I wouldn't play any other game online for a very long time.

I like it when he's angry.

• jumpdeveraux 1 Apr 2011 01:17:00 182 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The patch sounds good.

I thought the gun levelling speed was just fine, given people will probably want to level up a wide range of weapons which will take time anyway.

They need to reward more XP for securing the capture points as it takes a long time and the chances of being shot while doing it are very high. Felt like I filled the bar to 50% over 30 seconds only to get 5xp ... not much of an incentive to stick my neck out re taking objectives...

I don't really understand the levelling system - in the retail game will it unlock weapons? In MAG you got skill points... in this you get nothing (or am I not high enough level) ... initially it seems at odds with all other games who give you a reward for levelling.

To test out the grenade weirdness go to the building that is in front of the bow of the ship in Assault and Battery and either stand outside and throw grenades in through the topmost doors or stand in and try and throw anything out of those doors.

I've also seen some really odd grenade paths in other open areas where they circle almost back to you like a boomerangenade!

Not seen any rampant sniping or knifing which is an improvement over MAG...

Anyone know if they will segment servers in retail e.g. US, Europe, Asia? or will it just be one huge server probably US based ... I ask partly because of the lag and partly because of the clearly poorly educated US players which are making my ears bleed with their god awful spoken english.
  • JYM60 1 Apr 2011 01:32:24 16,813 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apparently there are more guns in the full game.

I don't know where I stand on the yank issue.
    On one hand, there's a lot of people actually communicating and they aren't all cocks, on another hand they are completely hilarious, and on another they are cunts and vote you out because you don't have a yank accent. (Even though you are completely carrying their asses)

• jumpdeveraux 1 Apr 2011 09:23:03 182 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Played another couple of hours and it just goes downhill. Even the US players were complaining about the lag non-stop and putting whole clips into people, nothing happening then 3 seconds later the person they shot just dies.

I was shooting a guy through a narrow gap my bullets on full auto through that space - i am kill the guy when another runs through my bullet stream which was firing a full second before he appeared and he just runs through it (no hit registration) and kills me. Absolutely no way he should have been able to run through or dodge (as gap was as wide as a toon) ...

Last Defence - had one game where the match was won in literally 2-3 minutes. All CP's capped in under 60 seconds and as soon as HQ was unlocked a beacon was instantly planted. Full server of 32 players so no idea how the hell that happened - as everyone has same run speed am baffled how they got from spawn to CP points so fast.

Bomb Squad - Amazing if you have a defuser who has a mic and a clue what to do. Utterly terrible mode if you don't as it makes it ridiculously difficult to make any progress and fills audio channel with abuse at the dumb defuser.

Think final game will be a rental for me instead of an insta-purchase.

It feels like they learned things from MAG but this is still MAG's somewhat simple country cousin.
  • effinjamie 1 Apr 2011 09:51:02 882 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    jumpdeveraux wrote:
    Just played 2 more hours and died from being shot from left hand side considerably more due to the fact my "body" is blocking my view of people approaching as I spend a lot of time aiming which feels necessary to even hit anyone at mid range.

Really needs an option to switch your camera view from one shoulder to the other ala ghost recon. The number of times I'm killed because the character model is blocking my view.

PSN - effinjamie Xbox - effinjamie

• JYM60 1 Apr 2011 14:35:32 16,813 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's possible on last defense. It's common sense to head for the beacons before they appear when you're about to win capture and hold. Can get set up with mines etc.
    Usually LD is very hard, but when teams aren't balanced it'll often not last long.

The main problems with all the respawn mode is that they're 16 v 16 clusterfucks. Shouldn't be a problem in the full game, 8v8 wiki be much better.

• HisDudness 1 Apr 2011 15:25:07 974 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I played Classic LD this morning before work and it was awesome. Ended 5-5 with a draw in the last round.

Assault and Battery (jungle map) works way better with the lower player count. Port Authority is a better map in my opinion though, it can handle the 16 v 16 fairly well.

I'm actually getting really excited for this game. It's hard to work, because I'm just thinking about playing it. Sorry to hear about the lag issues. My connection has been pretty stable, with the occasional MAG-style death a split-second after you've taken cover.

Speaking of cover, it seems to work fairly well. I never really fire from cover, but it's nice to use to get a look around. It would be cool if you could move from cover to cover automatically like in Uncharted though.

Any tips for gun choice? I've been using the FAMAS and ATAC (fav Raven gun) exclusively. I get killed all the time by the P90 though.
  • JYM60 1 Apr 2011 16:34:44 16,813 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Any SMG is good. On one faction I'm running G36/HK with silencer, and SMG as backup. On the other I'm using MP5 silenced as primary and sniper as secondary.
    Grenades and mines for equipment.

• HisDudness 1 Apr 2011 18:41:46 974 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ok duly noted. I'll start using the SMGs before they are nerfed in the patch.
  • jumpdeveraux 2 Apr 2011 01:47:32 182 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is fun...

On Assault and Battery go onto the lower level of the ship i.e. the "u-bend" part and camp the corner where your right shoulder is against the wall looking at the starboard side entrance. You can see through the wall due to the camera position!

Great for letting your team mates know what's happening at A and also for pre-firing as you can see people running across the gantry through the wall even before they see you!

Seen this by cosing up to a few other walls/objects too, no wonder I thought some opponents were clairvoyant when they fired the nanosecond I chose to round a corner.
  • jumpdeveraux 4 Apr 2011 09:12:59 182 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not sure if anyone is playing but looks like the patch to fix some of the multiplayer mess is only going into retail and won't be tweaked for the beta.

50% love the MP (similarities to MAG) and 50% utterly hate the MP. They have a lot of patching to do - I watched the kill log today and most of it is in pairs where, if you're not sniping, when you try to kill someone you always die too.

I had a "crouch off" with one guy, we both had assault rifles and emptied two full clips into each other from 10 feet apart (I saw him reload when I did) - I died when he knifed me... from a full 10 feet away.

You can still throw a grenade and see it sail half way through it's arc at the air just before you notice the grenade icon by your feet as your grenade in reality didn't go anywhere... just as it kills you.

Aside from the graphics it feels like an Alpha version of MAG.
  • JYM60 4 Apr 2011 16:45:33 16,813 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When it works, it's excellent though. Had a great game of classic uplink there now. I finished 20-8, I uploaded 2 pieces of data in the penultimate round to take it to a deciding round. Last round I was left 1v 6!! Managed to take out 3 on an assault of their base, but eventually got naded. :(
    Was a great game though.

Speaking of grenades, they are broken. Aside from the obvious bugs like them bouncing of invisible walls etc, where they go is just random. I was under the impression the were meant to go where you aim. On A&B a guy was camping in one of those towers. I tried twice to throw a grenade in, one it was too high, the other was too low. Precise grenade throws are not possible, desperately needs a grenade arc.

Really I don't really see all that much more which desperately needs patched. That double death thing you are talking about happens in pretty much every game. KZ2 (way more than socom), BC2, HF, etc. It never happens in COD because someone always has an unfair connection advantage. I imagine it probably is happening more in socom at the minute than it should, because of some lag.

Had 100% more fun on this beta than MAG. :D

• Progguitarist 4 Apr 2011 17:02:26 10,424 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've definitely had a few issues with lag here and there but nothing too serious really. Really enjoy the game personally.
  • HisDudness 4 Apr 2011 17:29:04 974 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't even bother packing grenades any more - they are too unpredictable. Just smoke (essential for completing objectives on classic) and proximity mines (which are cheap I know, but I love waiting to see if I can get a kill after going out early in a classic round).

Today I read some positive comments on the official forum about the campaign from someone who has a review copy. Apparently it's very difficult on higher settings. Although it is an MP purchase first, I hope the campaign is interesting.

Do you guys use Move all the time in MP? I haven't tried it yet...
  • JYM60 4 Apr 2011 17:35:11 16,813 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haven't used move. It's got no place in competitive games for me. :)
    I know some have and really like it though.

Smoke is good replacement for nades. Should maybe think about switching. I do like my nades for forcing people out of cover though. And I'm also using the mines. :D

• jumpdeveraux 5 Apr 2011 05:28:04 182 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I recommend packing the gas and then complimenting it with either nades/smoke. The gas is excellent for smoking out the entire warehouse or ship in Assault and Battery and you get +3XP assists for enemies killed by your team mates in the gas (can be very lucrative on some game modes)

The lag comes and goes (US players moaning incessantly on mic is normally first sign). Had extreme lag yesterday where I saw corpses moving around... up stairs/ramps etc which was hilarious. I sneaked up on one enemy, emptied 3 full clips from my AR into his back then knifed him 5 or 6 times and eventually a message came up that i'd shot him and he died. When the game started a new round we all got kicked and a server error came up (think server crashed).

There's a great youtube vid of lag testing in SOCOM seems you have like 2 mins before the server actually wises up allowing you to run around killing people even though you are dead :-/

I hope they rebalance the XP somewhat (seeing as they are increasing xp needed to level) as I played a really good defence game last night finishing 11-2 (which enabled comrades to cap points etc) but got 70XP for it. Other games I can get 300XP for doing nothing as helpful.

If the SP gets solid reviews I'll probably pick it up - good array of game types and map size and design feels good (though as usual Zipper enable spawn killing)

Outside of clan play I think MAG had slightly better teamplay, lots of campers in SOCOM - just wrapped an uplink game where my entire team didn't bother going for the data and just sat in our base trying to snipe. Yawn.
  • abot 6 Apr 2011 21:30:11 139 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why all the updates.

I installed the beta approx 430mb. On launch a 39mb patch was installed. Launching the game again and now a 1.3GB update is installing.

• Widge Moderator 6 Apr 2011 21:40:40 13,479 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Radical idea, someone should make a shooting game with no sniper roles.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• jumpdeveraux 7 Apr 2011 00:43:02 182 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Radical idea, someone should make a shooting game with no sniper roles.

I think the snipers in SOCOM are actually ok - I never see a huge percentage of a team purely sniping - most games people are using SMGs and assault rifles (for the noob grenade launcher).

However, Zipper really does need to do more testing of sniper line of sight in two places: spawn points and objectives.

I saw one guy go 76-8 last night and he was sniping so quickly his name was 3 out of 4 rows of the kill log for most of the match - he could only have been spawn sniping (or have some aimbot hack which I think less likely) to get kills every second.

On games like Uplink, Assault and Battery map why does one team have their terminal out in the open on desk at the top of their base. It's nigh on impossible to upload data there as the opposing team typically have at least 2 snipers watching that terminal (they will just shoot through smoke until they get a kill). If you were a military organisation I bet you'd put a terminal with a secure uplink to your military network in a hard to reach room in your base.

Hopefully Zipper get their act together and can fix the spawn and objective camping. I am still baffled how they guy got 70+ kills in Last Defence though (closest person was only on 22 kills)
  • HandOfBeadle 7 Apr 2011 11:30:07 1 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JYM60 wrote:
    Haven't used move. It's got no place in competitive games for me. :)
    I know some have and really like it though.

Smoke is good replacement for nades. Should maybe think about switching. I do like my nades for forcing people out of cover though. And I'm also using the mines. :D

I routinely end up coming very high in Killzone 3 rounds using the Move. It's plenty competitive. Here though, it's just atrocious. They seem to have greyed out a hell of a lot of control options when using the Move so you end up with a dodgy, overly smoothed cursor. You can change the controls to 'Competitive', but that has absurdly quick player turning when you move your aim to the edge of the screen.

Combined with the awful lag, the occasional comical grenade trajectory that plants the frag on top of the cover in front of you and blows your brain out, and the appalling cover system (where it's completely random whether you can actually attach to a wall or not, let alone whether pressing the cover button registers) it leads to hideous mismatches in certain situations. Very disappointed with this title - only the fact that it's a beta stops me shutting the door completely.

What will it take for a tactical shooter to be created on console by a premium quality dev team? Is Zipper really all we can manage?
  • WeirdbeardUK 7 Apr 2011 11:36:49 29 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    After the epic updates i was furious when connecting it pops up saying no PSN connection even tho im clearly online. Anybody else have this problem?
  • HisDudness 7 Apr 2011 11:57:22 974 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just played for 4 hours straight. No connection problems.

Only issue was the gratuitous use of "dude-bro" speak. Thank god for tap to talk, otherwise the open mic channel would be unbearable. Where do they all come from?!
  • JBlokeUK 7 Apr 2011 12:24:09 2,309 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So, I'll get straight to the point here. 761mb download, boot up the game, which then forces me into a 37mb update, after which there is a 1560mb update.

What a pile of wank.

I like it when he's angry.

• jumpdeveraux 7 Apr 2011 14:47:42 182 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone know if you can change the controller config to map weapon switch and grenade switch to the d-pad?

The "hold L2" and use right stick to switch is just far too fiddly in a firefight and half the time you seem to have to hold the right stick for a full second for the menu selection to flip over - by which point someone has put their SMG up my nose and pulled the trigger.

I'm fine with changing from single shot to full auto in a L2 menu but weapons and grenade switch needs to be more accessible on the controller
  • Page

of 8 First / Last