Captain America Page 8

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Deleted user 31 July 2011 23:11:39
    boo wrote:
    The bit after the credits though? God that looked good!
    Where was the Hulk though?

Pretty sure he's in the background of one of the fast cuts in non-hulk form.
  • boo 1 Aug 2011 08:57:26 11,749 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah...
    Though tbf, when it comes th Hulk, I lose track of which actor I'm supposed to be looking for!

Just Another Lego Blog

• samk 2 Aug 2011 10:34:13 703 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Watched this over the weekend. Disclaimer: I know pretty much nothing of the Captain America ethos.

It was just dull. As others have mentioned it takes far too long building up, and it's bizarre that a lot of the action is done using montages. The set pieces they did choose to focus on are often poor choices; a few minutes running after a taxi? Really??

The love interest plot was entirely pointless, cliche-city and left unresolved.

The Captain America suit was rubbish. Looks a few sizes too big for Evans, and like something they slapped together from old curtains.

As for the bad guy, during his reveal when he pulled his mask off I actually burst out laughing.
  • xandaca 2 Aug 2011 16:10:55 444 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Here's my review.

It was a mess in terms of story, but the performances really held it all together and gave the movie a charm so lacking from Marvel's other, more mechanical movies. Chris Evans and Hayley Atwell were both very endearing, and Tommy Lee Jones stole almost every scene he was in. Needed a stronger villain and a proper ending, but it was generally pretty enjoyable. (And for the record, my knowledge of the comics is zilch).
  • Gearskin 3 Aug 2011 08:52:54 2,045 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No previous exposure to Cap America, beyond being slapped down by him in Marvel vs Capcom 3... but I really enjoyed the film. Not as much as THOR but more than Iron Man and its sequel.
  • cowell 3 Aug 2011 17:01:45 691 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Off to see it tonight, purely as part of the warm up to The Avengers.

Does Captain American age? I'm wondering how a WW2 hero ends up in the modern day superhero team. Does he just not get old cos of his powers?
  • cowell 3 Aug 2011 17:05:31 691 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ok cool, thanks.

Would have been a major oversight in The Avengers not to address that!
  • xandaca 3 Aug 2011 17:44:40 444 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Liter wrote:
    Watch the film and you'll see. :-)

To be fair, even if he does watch it won't make much sense. I'm sure there's a fuller explanation in the comics, but the information given in the film left a lot of gaps.
  • spamdangled 3 Aug 2011 17:50:22 27,276 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Argh.

"I'm a big fan of the James Bond Movies"

"This movie sticks too much to a formula"

/twitch

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• darrenb 3 Aug 2011 18:07:41 677 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I went to see this yesterday and I really enjoyed it, had no idea what the origins of Captain America were and thought it was quite entertaining. It was sertainly just a trail for new films set in the present/future bet good all the same.

8/10
  • Deleted user 4 August 2011 00:32:14
    Just came back from it and enjoyed it. I think it missed the mark a few times on the thin line between cringe/funny in a cheesy way. But it was good. The random montage in the middle was daft though, don't know what that was about. The dude that played Cap was good, he managed to maintain the sympathetic nice guy persona throughout without too much pretence. Tommy Lee Jones was awesome though, every second he had on screen was so tightly scripted he almost made the film.

Funny at the end waiting for the credits to finish, watching everyone leave, you could totally tell who the nerds were from who was still glued to their seat.
  • CosmicFuzz 4 Aug 2011 00:36:28 23,854 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hehe I dragged my gf to it, she was moaning about waiting until after the credits but stayed. Then everyone cheered after the trailer and she was mortified :D

"I'm not coming to see that," she said.

"You'll be lucky if we're still together!" I retorted.

Then went home to a cold bed, alone.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• Deleted user 4 August 2011 00:41:39
    Haha, "You'll be lucky if we're still together!", you're bloody lucky you still have a set of balls after that. I explained to the misses that we had to stay till after the credits and she dutifully sat there in silent shame as it dawned on her - as everyone else left - that she was now 'one of us'. :D
  • CosmicFuzz 4 Aug 2011 00:49:35 23,854 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Acceptance is hard at first. Just start buying her comics/posters/DVDs of the stuff. Eventually she will submit!

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• spamdangled 4 Aug 2011 00:53:07 27,276 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Hehe I dragged my gf to it, she was moaning about waiting until after the credits but stayed. Then everyone cheered after the trailer and she was mortified :D

"I'm not coming to see that," she said.

"You'll be lucky if we're still together!" I retorted.

Then went home to a cold bed, alone.

Hah, brilliant.

It is weird how the cinema just empties during the credits of a marvel film. Surely they know by now there's going to be a scene after the credits?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• CosmicFuzz 4 Aug 2011 00:54:38 23,854 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know. We saw it on day of release, which really would be mostly made up of fans I woulda thought, and there was barely anyone left.

I always wondered why they didn't put the Tony Stark bit in Hulk after the credits.

• Gearskin 4 Aug 2011 09:45:34 2,045 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They had planned to!... But didn't want people to miss it.
  • cowell 4 Aug 2011 13:38:20 691 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Saw it last night and (despite irritating morons in the audience talking throughout) I ejoyed it. Definitely an improvement on Thor. One or two cheesy lines but Tommy Lee Jones did have some corkers in a good way. Thought the explanation regarding his presence in the modern day was more than sufficient

Roll on The Avengers
  • cowell 4 Aug 2011 13:38:23 691 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Saw it last night and (despite irritating morons in the audience talking throughout) I ejoyed it. Definitely an improvement on Thor. One or two cheesy lines but Tommy Lee Jones did have some corkers in a good way. Thought the explanation regarding his presence in the modern day was more than sufficient

Roll on The Avengers
  • Deleted user 4 August 2011 13:46:45
    darkmorgado wrote:
    It is weird how the cinema just empties during the credits of a marvel film. Surely they know by now there's going to be a scene after the credits?

I don't bother sitting through the 8 minutes of credits just to watch 30 seconds of additional footage that isn't important to anything else I've just seen and can see either on the internet or when it's released on DVD/Blu-Ray.
  • boo 4 Aug 2011 13:50:38 11,749 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    I don't bother sitting through the 8 minutes of credits just to watch 30 seconds of additional footage that isn't important to anything else I've just seen and can see either on the internet or when it's released on DVD/Blu-Ray.

Shun him, brothers, for he is not one of us!

Just Another Lego Blog

• CosmicFuzz 4 Aug 2011 14:11:14 23,854 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fuck you Aargh!!!

• spamdangled 6 Aug 2011 06:57:04 27,276 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yes it is. Nomnomnom

• SolidSCB 6 Aug 2011 07:02:21 6,576 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Yes it is. Nomnomnom

Does that Spam taste nice?
  • convercide 6 Aug 2011 07:22:09 5,984 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I saw this the other day and it's not too bad. Seeing bits of Manchester in a blockbuster film was strange. I preferred Thor personally but I guess this one had to be made so The Avengers could happen.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• Shikasama 8 Aug 2011 08:57:32 6,752 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I definitely thought that this was the wekaest Avenger film. There just wasn't enough of Captain America doing his thing and the attacks on the Red Skull were all very rushed. There was very little interaction between Skull and Cap too which was a bit dissapointing.

What they did an AMAZING job of though was fitting the WW2 world into the rest of the Marvel Universe. The production was very clever in making it consistent with the other modern films. They also did a good job of giving Cap a personality which I expect will be made fuller in the Avengers film.

For me:
    Iron Man
    Thor
    Iron Man 2
    Captain America
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 8 Aug 2011 10:33:09 37,801 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Watched this over the weekend in 3D. It was cool to see parts of Liverpool I know well on the big screen. Even weirder since they had put the Brooklyn bridge in the background.

Some of the 3D was proper flakey though. In the finale it just looked like 2D layers hastily laid on top of each other. Reminded me of Paper Mario :-D

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Page

of 9 First / Last