First time to New York! Page 4

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next
  • jonsaan 14 Apr 2010 11:30:16 25,352 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Red Moose wrote:
    Boston is shit. Bars shut at 1am and the culture is caught in some sort of 1890s time warp. I found it surprising that some could even string a few words together to make a sentence.

The road system is shit, they something like T-junctions on motorways to merge, it's insane.

That's the Big Dig. It'll all be fixed by 2020:D

Boston is a fantastic city. You got go under man, deep under.

Edit: Oh, it seems the big dig finally finished.

FCUTA!

• boo 14 Apr 2010 11:39:46 11,782 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Local - yup, apart from the permanent Thannhauser collection, I think the rest of the contents are pretty fluid. The current exhibition is called 'Haunted', and there are a fair few 'installations', plus a lot of terrible photgoraphy and paintings.

With my grumpy hat on, 90% of the paintings look like they were done by a three year-old, and while some of the photography could have, at best, been described as 'ok, I suppose', it's the absolute nonsense that's written about it that gets me. 'It means this, and that, and the artist is conveying the other'.

No, it's all just tosh!

/doesn't know art
    /knows what he likes

Just Another Lego Blog

• mrpon 14 Apr 2010 11:43:19 28,914 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I hear ya boo, my philosophy on art is as follows: "if I can reproduce that, it's not art"

Harsh, but it has served me well.

:)

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• boo 14 Apr 2010 11:48:21 11,782 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One thing I wish I'd bought (but couldn't fit anything else in my bag) was the Guggenheim in Lego.

They do an architecture series - there's the Empire State building too, plus a couple of others.

Might have to see if you can get them over here.

Just Another Lego Blog

• localnotail 14 Apr 2010 11:54:32 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lego Guggenheim was very cool, sadly there are no kids in my social circle of the right ages to be into it, and it was too expensive for me to buy as a gift for myself or my lego-obsessed ex.

(d'oh, just realised you linked it already. The Fallingwater one was also lovely. )

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Deleted user 7 June 2010 18:17:07
    So - what would you do if your first visit was hampered by a sprained ankle and crutches? What can I do/where can I go?
  • Deleted user 7 June 2010 18:53:13
    squarejawhero wrote:
    So - what would you do if your first visit was hampered by a sprained ankle and crutches? What can I do/where can I go?

Everywhere pretty much. I'm going back again in the first week of August.

Can not fucking wait.
  • magicpanda 7 Jun 2010 19:09:53 13,365 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:

Save a load of cash for Taxis, you're going to need them really. City holidays always involve lots of walking.
  • Deleted user 7 June 2010 19:33:04
    Yeah, that's my worry. That said it'll give me lots of time to just chill out and really think through where I'm going. I don't have a plan per se save for visiting the Ghostbusters firehouse and the Empire State, everything else is going to be me suprising myself by what I find - always the best way.

I usually walk everywhere when I visit. I've pretty much walked all the way down to Kowloon and across Central to the Peak in HK on my first day and tramped around SF in a day. It's the best way to get to know a city - now I'm just going to have to rely on my guide and public transport!
  • localnotail 8 Jun 2010 09:47:39 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:

I had trouble walking for a lot of my trip last year, you just need to go slowly. The Metropass works on buses too. Good luck.

• Deleted user 10 June 2010 17:11:07
    I'm doing alright so far save for blisters. ;)

Hello everyone from the New York Public Library!
  • localnotail 10 Jun 2010 17:17:53 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hi.

I forgot to say, if you are struggling with walking, the museums have spare wheelchairs, I had one in the Natural History Museum.

Have a nice day

• ElNino9 10 Jun 2010 18:12:51 13,427 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Get some Cheesecake from Juniors whilst you're there, best cheesecake in NYC.

West 45th St. between Broadway and 8th Ave.

Something like 50 types of cheesecake. Yum!

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 10 Jun 2010 18:20:50 38,179 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's a great ice-cream place (The Ice Cream Factory I think?) on Pier 11 in Brooklyn, directly next to the Brooklyn Bridge. Such lovely ice-cream!

And I also enjoyed the "Cosmic Diner" on 8th Avenue at 52nd St. It's open 24 hours and we visited there looking for food when we first arrived. I had a really nice "pizza burger" and they have (or had - this was this time last year) a signed photo of Ansley Harriot by the till :-D

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Red-Moose 22 Sep 2010 20:06:15 5,346 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I found Manhattan to be very run-down and has clearly seen better days. Am I on crack (like half of the city seems to be)? It seemed shoddy in a lot of ways from the street paving, trash lying around, homeless people, etc., . Not a particularly nice place at all, even staying on Park Avenue.
  • Red-Moose 22 Sep 2010 20:09:05 5,346 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Also there are pizzacones.
  • LockeTribal 22 Sep 2010 20:32:53 4,514 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lot of building work going on around time's square as well (was over there two weeks ago). Still, cool place to go see. I was staying down on 35th street between 7th and 8th and while the hotel was lovely, the street's fairly run down looking.
  • anytrip 19 Nov 2010 16:16:04 2 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wow.... your first time. Congratulations!

Have you thought about where to stay? I know there's been a bit of a shake-up recently with legislation and a whole heap of cheap hotels in New York have shut down because of it. BUT there are still some around and you should try Anytrip.com as they've got a pretty big list of hostels and hotels still operating :)

Can I suggest Coney Island (it's a bit bizarre but worth seeing for the novelty of it).

Hope that helps.
  • Gambit1977 19 Nov 2010 16:35:30 9,666 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What a polite piece of spam :)
    And when I went to Coney, it was a ghost town...I'd avoid it like the plague.
  • anytrip 22 Nov 2010 10:27:41 2 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    What a polite piece of spam :)
    And when I went to Coney, it was a ghost town...I'd avoid it like the plague.

Yes but don't you think it's worth checking out even if it's for novelty purposes or photos?? My friend went there last week and said it was bizarre. So that's what I suggested. It's a little out of the ordinary, right?

• boo 31 Mar 2011 10:38:15 11,782 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Was just browsing this thread to remind myself of the name of something, and I realised I said I'd put some photos up.

If anyone's interested, they're here.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next