The Pram/Travel System Thread

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 23 Feb 2010 13:24:39 7,027 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Right, we're due end of July and so thoughts are turning towards wheels for the nipper.

I'm looking for a pram (or "travel system" as they seem to be called these days) with the following features:

Big wheels for walks in parks
    Good underneath storage space so I can carry home my PS4 while out strolling
    Front and rear facing options
    Car seat attachment as we've got a small car so I don't want to have separate pram/car seat

Any suggestions?
  • Goban 23 Feb 2010 13:28:53 9,607 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Didn't know, congratulations \o/

Sorry no word of wisdom or sage advice to pass on.
  • Salaman 23 Feb 2010 13:34:02 21,511 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've opted for a bicycle/pram combo so I haven't researched prams myself.
    Can't help.

Congrats though!
  • Blerk Moderator 23 Feb 2010 13:36:11 48,224 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    We ended up with something remarkably similar to what you describe from Mamas and Papas. Looking over there now I see that I had totally forgotten how bloody expensive they were! :-o

I'd suggest going over to your local M&P or Mothercare and taking a few for a spin around the shop. They're both very helpful and will quite happily help you to try stuff out in your car. Mothercare do their own range which are pretty good and are significantly cheaper than 'brand' ones - we bought Mothercare buggies once they got too big for the pram.
  • otto Moderator 23 Feb 2010 13:38:54 49,322 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Couple of other threads on this: [link=http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=95034&group_id=77">one and
  • Whatsfor 23 Feb 2010 13:39:10 2,187 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I preach Quinny Buzz 4 every time one of these threads comes up.

It ticks all your boxes bar the understorage. Its probably big enough to hold the PSP2 rather then the PS4.

Go try one. Do a U-turn on a 5 pence piece then watch the other people in the shop levering the Silvercross type prams onto its back wheels to do the same U-turn.

Oh and if you do go down the Buzz route then get the Buzz 4 and not the Buzz 3. It handles the same but is more stable going up kerbs at an angle etc...

The package you want is the pram plus car seat and I would recommend the Isofix base. Don't bother with the Dreami full flat base. Useless.

Oh and congratulations.
  • binky Moderator 23 Feb 2010 13:39:48 10,556 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Pac - What you describe sounds like what we've been after with the added caveat that we also need to be able to get it on the bus.

So far the standout one seems to be the GRACO Quattro Tour deluxe. Seems to have everything including a car seat that attaches to the buggy without having to move baby.
  • otto Moderator 23 Feb 2010 13:40:47 49,322 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oh and btw thanks for giving me the excuse to browse back over the pages of Dads Club, I got sidetracked by a couple of old threads and boy we have kept a record of some pretty significant moments in our lives in these here pages. From the thread about the first scan to the time I posted while my missus was in labour etc etc.
  • Whatsfor 23 Feb 2010 13:44:39 2,187 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah this is probably my favourite corner of Eurogamer. Cheers otto!
  • nickthegun 23 Feb 2010 13:51:06 67,375 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My advice would be to go to toys r us or similar and try out every one in the place.

We were going to get a quinny but after going in there, my wife found she couldnt put it up and down very easily at all, they seemed designed for blokes, weirdly.

We tried loads and the one she felt most comfortable with was the bebe confort loola.

Sexist, but your mrs is probably going to spend the most time with it, so she really needs to be able to be able to drag it around everywhere and put it up with one hand with a baby swinging off her neck.

My mates wife bought a full on mamas and papas 3 piece transformer pushchair stright off the internet because it looked nice. It was fucking massive and since she couldnt drive, was a nightmare to take on the bus, so they ended up binning it really quickly and buying a cheapo mcclaren pushchair.
  • Nasty 23 Feb 2010 13:54:13 4,775 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Whatever one you like the look of, do the acid test of being able to collapse it and put it in the boot with one hand while holding the child in the other arm.
  • Goban 23 Feb 2010 13:55:01 9,607 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We got a Micralite which pretty much ticket all our boxes and it doesn't take up your entire bootspace.

Still going strong after 4 years.
  • Vortex808 23 Feb 2010 14:03:58 10,532 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I tend to think you end up finding out what you *really* need after you've bought the pram to be honest! Try loads out, and buy the lightest one you can is the advice i'd give.

We bought a travel system thing a few years ago, mainly for the click-in car seat to get him home with and the fact it could go flat and could be used to sit him up in as he got older. We thought it would be great as it would last for ages, but after a few months it was so flippin' heavy and cumbersome as he grew bigger that we had to buy a buggy instead.

We'd have been better off with a light flat buggy for when he was really young, and then a sitting up buggy for when he was a bit older.

As mentioned before, definitely get one that folds up easily, so you can hold the baby as well as collapse/put it up. This is pretty much essential!
  • Dougs 23 Feb 2010 14:09:24 78,038 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Also on the hunt, am going to have a good look in a week or so, have a play, see how heavy they are/easy to put up etc. This is current fave, but no idea what it's like in practice. Not sold on the travel cot addition yet either.
  • otto Moderator 23 Feb 2010 14:12:15 49,322 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Whatever you end up buying, be prepared for the fact that your other half will inevitably end up buying at least three or four more before your child grows out of pushchairs.
  • binky Moderator 23 Feb 2010 14:15:13 10,556 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Why are they all so freaking expensive?!

After reading your links otto, I'm now not sure if my idea of going for a travel system is the right one. Everyone here seems to be saying negative things. I thought it would be the simplest solution. Might have to rethink. Also on a budget of around Ł300 so it's proving quite tricky.
  • otto Moderator 23 Feb 2010 14:18:44 49,322 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, personally I really don't rate the travel systems. For people in the UK frankly an umbrella-fold pushchair is the way to go - pavements, shops etc are too small for anything else. While the baby's still really weeny a little pram is needed but try to borrow one or buy one second-hand, daft to spend big money on something that you'll only use for a few months.
  • speedofthepuma 23 Feb 2010 14:23:39 13,395 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We went for a bebe confort Loola same as nick. I don't think it's that amazing to be honest but my wife adores it.

One note of caution, they were boutght out by another company (maxi-cosy I think) and the build quality seems to have dropped, I know it's only anecdotal but ours has had 3 problems (torn footmuff, broken hood and straps too small for growing baby), whereas out friends who bought beforethe company changed hands is still perfect.

We also have an iCandy travel system which I thought was great - light and easy to move, although bulky in the car like a lot of those.
  • binky Moderator 23 Feb 2010 14:26:16 10,556 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    iCandy is the cost of 2 iPhones though, right?
  • binky Moderator 23 Feb 2010 14:41:48 10,556 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ace Grace wrote:
    We got our Graco travel system for about Ł250 which included buggy, rain cover, car seat, car seat base, pram insert for the buggy and a bag.

Toys R Us. They seem to be about the cheapest overall.

That's what I was looking at I think. Could you find out what model it is. Are you happy with it, and is it BUS worthy?

Cheers ;D

(oh and sorry for semi hijack!)
  • Whatsfor 23 Feb 2010 14:43:39 2,187 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought I would upload a video of the Quinny being erected, the car seat being docked then a 360 degree turn.

Filmed with the digital camera so obviously all the above was one handed.

Here.

Excuse the state of the grass. It was ruined when all the snow melted! Grrrr Scottish weather!
  • Salaman 23 Feb 2010 14:46:18 21,511 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    We went for a bebe confort Loola same as nick. I don't think it's that amazing to be honest but my wife adores it.

One note of caution, they were boutght out by another company (maxi-cosy I think) and the build quality seems to have dropped, I know it's only anecdotal but ours has had 3 problems (torn footmuff, broken hood and straps too small for growing baby), whereas out friends who bought beforethe company changed hands is still perfect.

We also have an iCandy travel system which I thought was great - light and easy to move, although bulky in the car like a lot of those.

Heeheee. You said muff!

*snigger*
  • Goban 23 Feb 2010 14:47:23 9,607 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Whatever you end up buying, be prepared for the fact that your other half will inevitably end up buying at least three or four more before your child grows out of pushchairs.
    We've only had the one in 4 years.
  • speedofthepuma 23 Feb 2010 15:01:59 13,395 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    otto wrote:

Where as I have lost count.

It's her magpie syndrome.
  • otto Moderator 23 Feb 2010 15:28:05 49,322 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, magpie syndrome's the problem I think. :(

We had one really nice all-in-one system which we bought when our eldest was born. Then that was no good because it didn't have steerable front wheels. Then we had two or three umbrella type ones, one to keep at the grandparents, another to keep in the car, then one for something else, can't remember what. Of those, a couple got replaced because they didn't work as advertised or they just broke or something. Then we had the Chariot system which was a bike trailer doubling up as a great off-road pram/pushchair. Still use that but it's impractical for using in town because it's too big. Then of course there were the various slings we tried/used (at least four at last count) plus the baby carrier rucksack thing. I've lost count of how many we've had over the course of the years, at present we have three on the go including the one parked at my in-laws.

:roll eyes:
  • Dougs 23 Feb 2010 15:30:13 78,038 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    otto wrote:

LOL, had some friends round on Sat and they said exactly the same thing. They had 4 at last count, including one they sold as it was too heavy/big but then forgot and re-bought it!
  • nickthegun 23 Feb 2010 15:43:59 67,375 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    Goban wrote:
    otto wrote:

Where as I have lost count.

It's her magpie syndrome.

Yeah, we use a lightweight mcclaren now. The travel systems become a PITA after a while.

It was great to just be able to get the baby out of the car in the car seat and plug it into the folding frame, but as soon as she got big enough for a proper pushchair the mrs bought the lightweight one which, to be fair, was a godsend.

We recently gave the loola to the s-i-l as a baby present, since she is due in march.

If we/when we have another one, we probably wont get a travel system.
  • Dougs 23 Feb 2010 15:45:41 78,038 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm hoping that Maclaren I linked to does both, but no idea how heavy it is just as the pushchair.
  • nickthegun 23 Feb 2010 16:13:18 67,375 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thats the kind of puschair we have.

One thing about the carry cot is that, yeah, we never used it. We took it out a few times, but usually carried the newborn around in the car seat on the frame.

The carrycot was only used as an obscenely expensive moses basket in the front room.

It looked really cool, though, but it just wasnt really practical.
  • Goban 23 Feb 2010 16:15:05 9,607 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We used ours quite a lot. Each to their own and all that.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.