I want to try snowboarding... Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • Trane 17 Feb 2010 11:45:46 4,058 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rankin wrote:
    If it takes you 5 attempts to get on a drag lift you should probably just walk up tbh :-)

I'd say kill yourself, thus maintaining a shred of dignity :D
  • KingOfTheC 17 Feb 2010 11:47:17 288 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    white_frank_white wrote:
    The problem with snowboarding is that the runs aren't really designed for them yet. Nothing makes you more smug as a skier than gliding past 101 20somethings hopping along on 1 foot.

Is getting sent away from a drag lift because you've fallen over 5 times really worth looking cool? :D

They kind of exist already, but not very good ones and not very well designed, but I would love a kind of retractable "oar" which would mean I wouldn't have to unstrap on stupid blues when they get flat like that.

Tignes in France had some rubbish flat bits like that.
  • RobotHobo 17 Feb 2010 11:51:07 115 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • RobotHobo 17 Feb 2010 11:55:02 115 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks Trane, that's was exactly what I was after and has got me evern more excited about going. I had a look at the piste map and that does make sense. I reckon I'll head for those runs first.

I may be eating Mexican food every night;)

Cheers
  • THFourteen 17 Feb 2010 11:57:00 34,180 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    IMO

Boarding
    - fall a lot, hurt wrists, arse, knees, sucks on flat bits, less control, lifts are an arse
    + can do tricks, boots don't hurt

Skiing
    - tricks are harder to do, boots can hurt (rentals),
    + easy to learn, not as tiring, fall less often, dont slow the rest of the party down
  • KingOfTheC 17 Feb 2010 12:01:41 288 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    IMO

Boarding
    - fall a lot, hurt wrists, arse, knees, sucks on flat bits, less control, lifts are an arse

Skiing
    + easy to learn, not as tiring, fall less often, dont slow the rest of the party down

I would probably agree with this.

Whichever you choose, i think the best thing you can possibly do is instantly decide that all the people that do the other sport are pricks. This seems to be the standard line for a lot of people who do one of the sports, and it makes absolutely no sense.

Think a lot of it also is kind of that you want to do whatever the rest of the people in your party are doing - I snowboard because my friends snowboard (though one has really injured his knee playing football and had to have an operation on his cruciate (sp) so he's learning to ski and a few of us have said we'll do it with him for moral support).
  • KingOfTheC 17 Feb 2010 12:42:02 288 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    KingOfTheC wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    IMO

Boarding

Skiing

I would probably agree with this.

Whichever you choose, i think the best thing you can possibly do is instantly decide that all the people that do the other sport are pricks. This seems to be the standard line for a lot of people who do one of the sports, and it makes absolutely no sense.

Think a lot of it also is kind of that you want to do whatever the rest of the people in your party are doing - I snowboard because my friends snowboard (though one has really injured his knee playing football and had to have an operation on his cruciate (sp) so he's learning to ski and a few of us have said we'll do it with him for moral support).

Skiing stresses the knee far more than snowboarding....

Hmmm, I didn't know that, I think it was more the fear of falling onto his knee that he's scared about rather than the actual use of it, but I will be sure to pass that on, cheers for that mate.
  • KingOfTheC 17 Feb 2010 12:52:56 288 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Well if you crash on skis and the skis don't come off your knee can be twisted in the opposite direction, Ia mate of a mate just wrecked his knee skiing, broke his kneecap in 3 places, 10 inch scar etc...

Maybe he's (my friend) best sticking to sledging then ;)

It's sad because the guy's a really good snowboarder, lots better than I am, but on our last holiday the other month he'd just completely lost his nerve and so wasn't that hot.

I know how he feels though, I broke my collarbone a few years ago whilst snowboarding and it seemed like the scariest thing ever for a good while after that.

Don't let any of this put you off snowboarding though of course Marco!

Edit: brackets on the top line
  • milknoodle 17 Feb 2010 12:55:27 434 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Take up longboarding, then you can ride the asphalt, baby.
  • Carlo 17 Feb 2010 13:05:51 18,165 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    boarding nooooo

looks like a whole world of pain for a beginner.

skiing is much easier to learn i reckon
    Even if you can skateboard and ski?

PSN ID: Djini

• dunts 17 Feb 2010 13:12:33 4,213 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    boarding nooooo

looks like a whole world of pain for a beginner.

skiing is much easier to learn i reckon
    Even if you can skateboard and ski?

It's not that hard to pick up. Once you can carve a little you'll be ok. Find a side you feel stronger doing it on and use that more in the beginning. Skiing and boarding are both fun. I enjoy snowboarding more and i skated like yourself.
  • spindizzy 17 Mar 2013 14:26:17 6,569 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ow. Ow ow ow. That is all (waiting for girlfriend in drs surgery).

Nothing serious I'm sure, but MAN ALIVE catching an edge at speed is a good way to make absolutely everything hurt! Tore two ligaments 3 years back so will be happy as long as its better than that...
  • DaM 17 Mar 2013 16:07:14 13,435 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's what you get for slacking off work for several years - turn it back on and do MORE SCIENCE!!!!
  • spindizzy 17 Mar 2013 21:53:03 6,569 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ha! We ARE working now you know? Physics papers, hardware improvements, software rewrites... It's not the relaxing time you might imagine! Anyway: ouch.
  • spindizzy 15 Apr 2013 10:09:41 6,569 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Okay, my latest injury is a bit worse - maybe I need a new sport (or to fucking learn to calm down a bit...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separated_shoulder#Type_IV

Seeing surgeon this afternoon. :-(
  • Salaman 15 Apr 2013 11:30:20 19,445 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not clicked the link but seperated shoulder sounds nasty.
    have you considered lessons?
    ;-)
  • spindizzy 15 Apr 2013 11:56:22 6,569 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hah. Unfortunately it's not lack of technique, more a lack of caution, which is probably genetic ... :-P

I can summarise it by saying that one shoulder is now noticeably lower than the other, and the clavicle is sticking up forming a big bump on that shoulder. Since all the ligaments are gone, there's nothing that can be done except surgery (they saw off a bit of the clavicle and move a ligament from the shoulder to there). At the moment, the wrong movement makes the bones rub together, which is more or less as painful and disgusting as it sounds.
  • Armoured_Bear 15 Apr 2013 12:00:17 11,651 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    Hah. Unfortunately it's not lack of technique, more a lack of caution, which is probably genetic ... :-P

I can summarise it by saying that one shoulder is now noticeably lower than the other, and the clavicle is sticking up forming a big bump on that shoulder. Since all the ligaments are gone, there's nothing that can be done except surgery (they saw off a bit of the clavicle and move a ligament from the shoulder to there). At the moment, the wrong movement makes the bones rub together, which is more or less as painful and disgusting as it sounds.
    Sounds nasty, where were you?
    What happened?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• spindizzy 15 Apr 2013 12:32:08 6,569 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Verbier. A run I've done a million times before (Attelas down to James Blunt, if anyone knows Verbier). I was trying to do a nice slow 180 off a little compression, probably going about 50 kph. I dunno exactly what happened - maybe I slipped a bit, or maybe I just wasn't really concentrating (slept really badly night before) but anyway my 180 became a 90 and I hit the hard packed snow with my shoulder. I immediately knew it was bad - I thought I'd probably cracked the collar bone. I managed to board down to Ruinettes, where a Dr took a look at me and straight away saw the bone sticking out. So I took the bubble down, then ambulance then x rays etc.

We'll see what the surgeon says.

The REALLY ridiculous thing is it's exactly the same compression my girlfriend did her ACL on 7 weeks prior. It's cursed! There's honestly no reason for it to be so dangerous (except that you can hit it at speed...)
  • spindizzy 22 Apr 2013 12:52:42 6,569 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Surgery booked for Wed (in case anyone is interested). I'll stop hijacking the thread now. ;-)
  • Salaman 22 Apr 2013 13:28:40 19,445 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Will you still be able to swing a crowbar? That's what I want to know.
  • spindizzy 22 Apr 2013 15:59:38 6,569 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    After some vigorous physio with the g-man, I should be right as rain...
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next