Android hardware Page 3

• Page

of 172 First / Last

• terminalterror 6 Apr 2010 15:47:41 18,937 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    Ohhh, and here I was considering the HTC Legend when they've already got a better one out!

I think they are actually (marginally) the other way around, the Desire was available a bit before the Legend (and more widely too, as the Legend is a Vodafone exclusive).
  • terminalterror 6 Apr 2010 15:50:38 18,937 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've just ordered myself a Desire from T-Mobile.

129 for the phone (I wrangled a 35 discount over the phone!), and 10 a month for 24 months for 100 mins, 100 texts, unlimited internet and a booster (unlimited texts, unlimited landlines, unlimited T-mobile calls are the main choices, there are some others too).

I was told they are getting more stock in this afternoon, so it should be with me by Thursday.

I'm so ridiculously excited! I've never been anywhere near the cutting edge of phone technology before, let alone the best phone currently available.
  • Whatsfor 6 Apr 2010 15:59:13 2,189 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mine should arrive tomorrow :)
  • BravoGolf Moderator 6 Apr 2010 15:59:54 12,753 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    BravoGolf wrote:
    Ohhh, and here I was considering the HTC Legend when they've already got a better one out!

I think they are actually (marginally) the other way around, the Desire was available a bit before the Legend (and more widely too, as the Legend is a Vodafone exclusive).

Really? But it gets a better review on el Reg than the Legend?
  • PearOfAnguish 6 Apr 2010 16:06:55 7,501 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    terminalterror wrote:
    BravoGolf wrote:

I think he's just talking about release dates, the Legend came out just after the Desire.
  • JohnnyWashnGo 6 Apr 2010 16:10:42 1,544 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just got a call from Vodafone telling me my contract is up for renewal and offering me a cheaper contract, 20 pcm, and also the HTC Desire for 25 !!!

I don't normally 'do' 24 month contracts but I am rather tempted :)

Edit: Before I forget, keep an eye on the Android app thread (http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=166277) for some good news soon ;)
  • terminalterror 6 Apr 2010 16:16:21 18,937 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    terminalterror wrote:
    BravoGolf wrote:

As correctly deduced by PearOfAnguish, I meant the release dates. The Desire is clearly the better phone in every respect except style. Not that the Desire lacks style, just that the Legend has more.
  • PearOfAnguish 6 Apr 2010 16:26:26 7,501 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Think I prefer the design of the Desire, not keen on the Legend's chin despite its swish aluminium body. Saw a Desire model in a T-mobile store at the weekend and it's smaller than I was expecting too.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 6 Apr 2010 16:32:32 12,753 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    BravoGolf wrote:
    terminalterror wrote:
    BravoGolf wrote:

As correctly deduced by PearOfAnguish, I meant the release dates. The Desire is clearly the better phone in every respect except style. Not that the Desire lacks style, just that the Legend has more.

Thank you both for taking the time to clarify my misinterpretation of the facts. You're both sweetie pies and I award you a Lidl's version of Jaffa Cakes :)
  • Whatsfor 6 Apr 2010 16:46:56 2,189 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yum!
  • Whatsfor 6 Apr 2010 16:48:14 2,189 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Crikey, this one deserve's a thread of its own!
  • myiagros 6 Apr 2010 17:08:59 1,348 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:

129 for the phone (I wrangled a 35 discount over the phone!), and 10 a month for 24 months for 100 mins, 100 texts, unlimited internet and a booster (unlimited texts, unlimited landlines, unlimited T-mobile calls are the main choices, there are some others too).

I was told they are getting more stock in this afternoon, so it should be with me by Thursday.

I'm so ridiculously excited! I've never been anywhere near the cutting edge of phone technology before, let alone the best phone currently available.

That is exactly the contract i'm on.

Loving the phone so far, although i must admit i'm battelling with the power consumption rather a lot.
  • Whatsfor 6 Apr 2010 17:17:17 2,189 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    prd:13704302|cat:Mobile+" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Spare battery - HTC official - 17.99
  • myiagros 6 Apr 2010 17:35:25 1,348 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Whatsfor wrote:
    prd:13704302|cat:Mobile+" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Spare battery - HTC official - 17.99

thanks, i've alreay got one on order. Now i just need a way to charge the spare, while not in my phone.
  • Whatsfor 6 Apr 2010 18:05:14 2,189 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Charge one, then swap it for the dead one and charge that. Keep the fully charged one in your wallet!
  • terminalterror 6 Apr 2010 19:37:15 18,937 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    myiagros wrote:
    terminalterror wrote:

That is exactly the contract i'm on.

Loving the phone so far, although i must admit i'm battelling with the power consumption rather a lot.

From looking at various android forums before caving and ordering one, it seems as though your battery life should improve a bit over the first week or two as it goes through a few charging cycles.
  • NBZ 6 Apr 2010 19:44:15 2,384 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Has anyone got the Xperia X10 or seen a good comparison of the two?
  • jellyhead 6 Apr 2010 19:49:49 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    NBZ wrote:
    Has anyone got the Xperia X10 or seen a good comparison of the two?
    I'd like some info on that too. I'm due an upgrade and wondering when the X10 is out and if it's any good compared to the HTC models.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• NBZ 6 Apr 2010 20:05:57 2,384 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It is out now.

I have not had an android phone yet, so I have no idea if the differences matter:

1. 384 MB RAM for the Se Vs 576 for the Desire.
    2. Android 1.6 (with confirmed upgrade to 2.1 at some point) Vs Android 2.1.
    3. Shite battery life on both sides.
    4. x10 should have the better camera.
    5. The Desire's AMOLED screen "cheats" with its resolution so it not as sharp (but probably brighter)
    6. No Multitouch on the X10 - ever. apparently its a hardware limitation.

But those are all on paper - anyone had hands on time with them both?

I was planning to get the Desire til I saw a live X10 sitting next to a model of a desire and it suddenly seemed more attractive as the pictures are hideous ugly IMO.

(Can anyone on T Mobile confirm the networks VoIP/Skype policy with the unlimited internet bundles?)
  • Whatsfor 6 Apr 2010 23:02:02 2,189 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In what way do you think the resolution "cheats" NBZ?
  • terminalterror 6 Apr 2010 23:11:09 18,937 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Whatsfor wrote:
    In what way do you think the resolution "cheats" NBZ?

Nexus One Pentile Matrix Oled Display (exactly the same screen at the Desire).

Long story short, normal screens have 3 subpixels per pixel (red, blue, green). The Desire's screen has 2 subpixels per pixel (large blue and small green, then the next one has large red and small green).

On a purely technical counting of pixels level, the resolution of the Desire is cheating at 800*480, but it is designed around the way your brain interprets what your eye can resolve, so can also be argued that whilst "cheating", it still has the full resolution that an LCD would have.
  • pauleyc 6 Apr 2010 23:22:20 4,542 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think NBZ refers to this Ar Technica article, a quite detailed breakdown of how the Nexus One display works - also applicable to the Desire since they share the same screen AFAIK.

Depending on how you count the pixels the Desire has either a 480x800 hardware resolution or - counting the RGB triplets, since the screen has red and blue sub-pixels that are wider than the green ones - 392x653.

I suppose the Legend as a similar sub-pixel screen setup. My wife's phone display isn't as razor-sharp as my Hero's; the effect is not unlike looking at a Windows display with ClearType enabled (although there might be another reason for the difference, eg. me needing a new pair of glasses). Overall the effect is noticeable though not really unpleasant.

edit: Curse my slow typing skill!
  • terminalterror 6 Apr 2010 23:22:30 18,937 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    even shorter version
  • Whatsfor 6 Apr 2010 23:33:00 2,189 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Interesting read.

Funnily I have noticed the "dotty" effect on my Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 which is also 480x800 pixel format (3" screen).

The hardware is assembled by HTC and I am pretty sure its a Samsung panel.
  • NBZ 7 Apr 2010 00:03:44 2,384 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whatsfor wrote:
    Funnily I have noticed the "dotty" effect on my Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 which is also 480x800 pixel format (3" screen).

The hardware is assembled by HTC and I am pretty sure its a Samsung panel.

That may be different - dithering due to the screen only supporting 65k colours instead of 16.7 million - clever software is used to hide the lack of colours and to approximate others.

(the X10 is limited to 65k colours too til it is updated to a newer version of android when it may support 16.7 million - but that may be through software gimmicks too depending on the actual display panel technology.)
  • Whatsfor 7 Apr 2010 00:34:24 2,189 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, it is only notable under extreme sunlight on the X1 as well...
  • rutter 7 Apr 2010 08:08:57 1,919 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Whatsfor wrote:
    rutter wrote:
    My Desire has arrived! Missus has taken delivery, unpacked and put on charge for me, bless her!

Roll on hometime. I'm just a bit excited!

She did your gadget unboxing for you?

Kill her.

Kill her now and bury her under the patio!

ha! I asked her to, to be fair. I've watched so many Desire unboxings whilst waiting for the bloody thing my own would have probably been an anti-climax!
  • rutter 7 Apr 2010 08:13:38 1,919 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JohnnyWashnGo wrote:
    Just got a call from Vodafone telling me my contract is up for renewal and offering me a cheaper contract, 20 pcm, and also the HTC Desire for 25 !!!

I don't normally 'do' 24 month contracts but I am rather tempted :)

Edit: Before I forget, keep an eye on the Android app thread (http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=166277) for some good news soon ;)

Go on, Johnny - you know you want to!

And that's great about the EG app. I'm really looking forward to it. Vrooms' app is the only one I'm missing since abandoning my iPhone.
    Well that and my collection of unfinished games. Looks like it's being inherited by Mrs rutter so maybe I'll get to finish Angry Birds afterall!
  • PearOfAnguish 7 Apr 2010 10:14:00 7,501 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rutter, what's the phone like? Seriously tempted by their 10 a month deal.
  • Cuchulainn 7 Apr 2010 10:20:50 845 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's a fantastic phone. I have to say, it didn't quite bowl me over out of the box. Not sure why - perhaps it's coming from having an ipod touch and using windows mobile for the last 5 years, so I was wondering how to do stuff rather than cooing over it. But the more I've used it over the ladt few days the more it has been impressing me. It's fast, a nice size, a gorgeous screen and yes, it does chew the batteries a wee bit..

Oh, also meant to say - if you go into the t-mobile shop and ask about the 300 mins, 300 texts option you can get the handset of 25 quid on a 25 quid per month contract with unlimited net and one other bonus (I took 60 mins of calls to international destinations)
  • Page

of 172 First / Last