Android hardware Page 134

  • Page

    of 163 First / Last

  • crashVoodoo 1 Sep 2012 14:00:32 3,851 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Kay its a psuedo-limitation of the s3

    as the s3 has large internal storage that acts like an fixed sdcard it is essentially allowing the transfer - it does it automatically anyway. what you cant do is actually manually transfer to the true sdcard if one is inserted.

    it *was* the same with my old xoom, this might have changed now though as i dont have it anymore

    a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

  • beastmaster 3 Sep 2012 22:26:33 11,160 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hi guys.

    had a fucking major balls up when trying to install ICS via a PC. To cut a long story short even though the PC can recognise the hardware and get the drivers, Kies refuses to connect to it.

    On the phone is a pictire of a phone with a PC with an alert in the middle of it. Anyhow, I guess I'm screwed.

    I take it I can just get another phone that will accept my O2 sim and drop it in there and carry on as normal?

    The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

  • souvlaki 3 Sep 2012 22:53:49 717 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @beat master - i take it you have a samsung than, if so you can recover from that. Google Odin and installing kernel guides.
  • Razz 4 Sep 2012 14:07:14 60,754 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, it's quite simple to recover. Get Odin, Find a stock ICS ROM on xda, and follow the guide to install it. You don't need to root it.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

  • DodgyPast 9 Sep 2012 17:50:53 8,414 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anything reasonably cheap with dual core and a gig of ram. A ghetto smaller S2 would suit the other half down to the ground.
  • Stranded87 9 Sep 2012 17:58:15 850 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DodgyPast Dual core and a gig of RAM takes you pretty close to the price of the S2 I think.

    The Sony Xperia P is maybe 50 quid cheaper and by most accounts a decent handset.

    Or the Galaxy Nexus could probably be found for marginally cheaper than the S2, and having just reviewed the Jelly Bean update to it I can say that it's a brilliant phone (though not quite as good as the S2).

    If they're too expensive then maybe consider the Galaxy Ace 2- it's dual core with 768mb of RAM and that's quite a lot cheaper.

    Edited by Stranded87 at 17:58:38 09-09-2012
  • DodgyPast 9 Sep 2012 18:16:07 8,414 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers for reminding me about the Ace 2. The other option is the Xperia U, though no idea how much those are.

    I'll have a look at prices and xda over the next couple of weeks.
  • Stranded87 9 Sep 2012 18:23:54 850 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DodgyPast Xperia U is similar to ace 2 price wise (maybe even slightly cheaper) but it only has about 4GB of useable storage and no microSD slot. Also I think it only has 512mb of RAM, though I could be wrong about that.

    Edited by Stranded87 at 18:24:11 09-09-2012
  • theguy 9 Sep 2012 18:40:10 652 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You could look at the LG prada 3 too although I don't know how it performs and it may not be to your liking
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lg-prada-3-0-dual-core-nfc-free-delivery-only-179-asda-direct-1305819

    Edited by theguy at 18:42:09 09-09-2012
  • Anthony_UK 11 Sep 2012 18:47:43 2,459 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Still relatively new to my S3 and android in general but last night I was tinkering watching a video on my phone and new icon appeared in the top left hand corner, after pressing it the xbox home screen on my tv disappeared and began instantly streaming the video from my phone.

    Only now i can't get it to work again, I'm not the most technically minded and I didn't even realise this was possible in the first place but any ideas where I'm going wrong?
  • MrDigital 14 Sep 2012 14:05:48 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    How much has taking on Windows Phone helped Nokia?

    Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

  • Garfy 14 Sep 2012 14:33:12 670 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HI, I just bought my first smartphone (A budget Huawei G300) and I was wondering if you cauld point me to any good guides to getting started on Android?

    It's all a bit daunting with it's many many options, I don't want to miss something important that everuone else in the world already knows about :)
  • Deleted user 16 September 2012 08:24:26
    Anyone know why Chrome has just completely stopped working? Whenever I open it it crashes my phone. Trying restarting, wiping etc. Not sure what else do try?
  • Mr-Brett 16 Sep 2012 09:25:06 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Garfy I don't know of any guides but there's plenty of recommendations in this thread.

    Portable view - Never forget.

  • CharlieStCloud 16 Sep 2012 10:04:05 5,042 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Anyone know why Chrome has just completely stopped working? Whenever I open it it crashes my phone. Trying restarting, wiping etc. Not sure what else do try?
    You are holding it the wrong way ...

    ... oh wait, that's the other phone!

    Pardon me.

    Is the stock browser on your (insert name of your Android phone here) any good? I am sure there is a Firefox browser on Google Play ... give that a twirl?
  • Agent_Llama 16 Sep 2012 10:53:35 3,334 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Anyone know why Chrome has just completely stopped working? Whenever I open it it crashes my phone. Trying restarting, wiping etc. Not sure what else do try?
    You are holding it the wrong way ...

    ... oh wait, that's the other phone!

    Pardon me.

    Is the stock browser on your (insert name of your Android phone here) any good? I am sure there is a Firefox browser on Google Play ... give that a twirl?
    I keep flitting between the stock browser and Chrome. Tried Boat and Dolphin but neither of them are quite as good for the overall browsing experience. Stock browser is good with the exception that it occasionally stops registering presses on links, and it doesn't have the splendid text wrapping that Xperia phones have.

    3DS: Mooky - 2019-9643-8311
    NNid: Agent_Llama
    Vita/PS3/360: Faloola
    FFXIV ARR: Alekzander Lockhart, Odin

  • DodgyPast 16 Sep 2012 11:20:07 8,414 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mowgli, there was an update recently... Maybe that didn't like the note. If you've upgraded already I'd at least try uninstalling then reinstalling.

    It's a bugger if that doesn't fix it.
  • guts 16 Sep 2012 20:47:37 1,690 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hello everyone. I am sure this has been posted on here before but I really am too lazy to trawl through all the pages looking for the info I am after so please bear with me. I have had my HTC wildfire s for about a year and the only annoying thing is the lack of internal storage. I have upgraded my sd cardbut it still doesn't download apps as they have to go to the internal storage first and then transferred to the sd card. I have read about rooting but all I really find is loads of programmes to root the phone but no info on the actual benefits. If I root my phone do I then need to install some kind of other software for it to run? Will I lose ,y downloaded apps? Do I need to be really techy to know what to do after rooting? I don't understand all this talk of modded rams etc.
    Basically, do I just root my phone and then just use it as normal or do I have to root it, then do loads of stuff before I can use it, and how does it free up internal memory? I assume it removes loads of pre installed stuff that seems undeletable as factory standard.

    Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

  • guts 16 Sep 2012 20:48:55 1,690 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks,
    /\ forgot to say that up there. /\

    Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

  • Pinky_Floyd 16 Sep 2012 21:49:09 7,373 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Anyone know why Chrome has just completely stopped working? Whenever I open it it crashes my phone. Trying restarting, wiping etc. Not sure what else do try?
    Chrome is a buggy pile of shite on my s2.  I can almost guarantee that after 5 mins it will crash the phone.  Dolphin HD is awesome but eats battery.  In the end I just settled for Opera.  I like Chrome, but its flat out the most unreliable android app I have ever used.  Ironic, no?
  • Razz 19 Sep 2012 13:35:09 60,754 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Haha! Dear God, I've never read a more gushing fan boy biassed review in my entire life

    Telegraph iPhone 5 review

    www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/9551873/iPhone-5-review.html

    Edited by Razz at 13:37:06 19-09-2012

    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

  • crashVoodoo 19 Sep 2012 14:21:19 3,851 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Razz oh dear. is that a legitimate review or a shamless advert

    a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

  • crashVoodoo 19 Sep 2012 14:23:07 3,851 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Android Centrals hands on with the LG Optimus G. In short, I like. If a Nexus device or 3 doesn't turn up soon it'll be a toss up between this and the GNote2

    a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

  • Razz 19 Sep 2012 14:48:08 60,754 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @crashVoodoo Many of the comments on the article have called bullshit on the piece, calling it an advertorial dressed up as a review. Also, someone found a Guardian review from another person that is almost verbatum to this one o_O Perhaps there's a bit of money being passed under the table... dunno really. Whatever the case I got a good laugh out of it :D

    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

  • TheSaint 19 Sep 2012 15:19:41 14,199 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Probably the biggest challenge to iPhone 5 battery life will come when the handset is used on 4G. That's nothing something that I've been able to test since Britain's first 4G network, EE, is still some weeks away.
    Impressive stuff from The Telegraph.
  • theguy 19 Sep 2012 15:25:14 652 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    guts wrote:
    Hello everyone. I am sure this has been posted on here before but I really am too lazy to trawl through all the pages looking for the info I am after so please bear with me. I have had my HTC wildfire s for about a year and the only annoying thing is the lack of internal storage. I have upgraded my sd cardbut it still doesn't download apps as they have to go to the internal storage first and then transferred to the sd card. I have read about rooting but all I really find is loads of programmes to root the phone but no info on the actual benefits. If I root my phone do I then need to install some kind of other software for it to run? Will I lose ,y downloaded apps? Do I need to be really techy to know what to do after rooting? I don't understand all this talk of modded rams etc.
    Basically, do I just root my phone and then just use it as normal or do I have to root it, then do loads of stuff before I can use it, and how does it free up internal memory? I assume it removes loads of pre installed stuff that seems undeletable as factory standard.
    You can just root and use it normally. Look for a guide on rooting and that's it. You can then force apps to the micro SD card and tweak your phone in other ways.
  • eleven63 19 Sep 2012 22:39:53 1,599 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Haha! Dear God, I've never read a more gushing fan boy biassed review in my entire life

    Telegraph iPhone 5 review

    www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/9551873/iPhone-5-review.html
    I know Shane, not well, but well enough to call him on this, alleged, editorial... obviously all telegraph readers have just realised that there are things called "smart" phones... and IT must be  an iPhone...

    Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

  • Dougs 19 Sep 2012 23:29:34 66,637 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Guardian was the same.
  • Anthony_UK 19 Sep 2012 23:48:43 2,459 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    eleven63 wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    Haha! Dear God, I've never read a more gushing fan boy biassed review in my entire life

    Telegraph iPhone 5 review

    www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/9551873/iPhone-5-review.html
    I know Shane, not well, but well enough to call him on this, alleged, editorial... obviously all telegraph readers have just realised that there are things called "smart" phones... and IT must be  an iPhone...
    It made me smile how towards the end of that piece he describes people who say the iphone 5 isn't as fully featured as other phones as sensationalists
  • eleven63 20 Sep 2012 10:33:25 1,599 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://daringfireball.net/2012/09/iphone_5 - this is just as bad as @shanerichmond piece from the Telegraph...

    Oh and he's ignored me, no surprise really...

    Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

  • Page

    of 163 First / Last

Log in or register to reply