The iPad Page 211

• Page

of 244 First / Last

• THFourteen 19 Nov 2012 14:54:27 32,856 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    and can you put videos on it or just photos?
  • kalel 19 Nov 2012 14:57:33 86,275 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Video I'm sure. I'll find out from here what it is.
  • THFourteen 19 Nov 2012 15:18:01 32,856 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    actually by the looks of things i could just get one of these

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD822ZM/A/lightning-to-sd-card-camera-reader

25! outrageous.
  • mrpon 19 Nov 2012 15:23:38 28,420 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd say that just copies them to the iPad and doesn't stream. Fine if you want to dick about deleting and stuff.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• THFourteen 19 Nov 2012 15:33:57 32,856 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well essentially that would be fine, when I'm on hols I like to have a bunch of tv series, and don't mind deleting episodes after having watched them.
  • kalel 19 Nov 2012 15:44:35 86,275 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It definitely works for streaming media. Here:

http://www.airstash.com/
  • mrpon 19 Nov 2012 16:00:30 28,420 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That looks good kal, I was meaning TH14s card reader doesn't stream.

• kalel 19 Nov 2012 16:01:57 86,275 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No I know.

This thing costs about the same as having more memory in the first place, but because you can put in SD cards it is effectively giving you unlimited memory. Quite clever really.

I don't need it, but my mum loves it.
  • Stranded87 19 Nov 2012 16:03:05 849 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    16GB fills up fast if you use an iPad for games and I still don't really understand why anyone buys an iPad if they don't want it for games. Fantastic portable console, but thanks to limited file support, no USB or micro sd storage support, ties to iTunes etc it's terrible for media imo and no better for web browsing than cheaper alternatives.
  • mrpon 19 Nov 2012 16:06:35 28,420 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Someone on here has one of these Seagate-500GB-streams-to-iPad jobbies:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-STBF500200-500GB-Satellite-External/dp/B0058FQAF6

• Deleted user 19 November 2012 16:10:06
    Stranded87 wrote:
    16GB fills up fast if you use an iPad for games and I still don't really understand why anyone buys an iPad if they don't want it for games. Fantastic portable console, but thanks to limited file support, no USB or micro sd storage support, ties to iTunes etc it's terrible for media imo and no better for web browsing than cheaper alternatives.
    Terrible for media how?

16GB does fill up quite fast, doesn't make 128 GB a good idea.
  • Stranded87 19 Nov 2012 16:13:09 849 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Stranded87 wrote:
    Terrible for media how?

16GB does fill up quite fast, doesn't make 128 GB a good idea.
    For the reasons I listed in my post, but if your media is already all tied into iTunes I guess it's less of an issue.

Obviously people disagree with me, or no-one (or at least no-one tech savvy) would buy an iPad unless they planned to do a lot of gaming on it. But it's just not something I can get my head around.

I say this as someone who has an iPad and previously had an iPhone, and don't regret getting either of them- but in both cases games were a big part of the buying decision and I also have an Android tablet that I almost always choose for music and video.

Edited by Stranded87 at 16:17:34 19-11-2012
  • mrpon 19 Nov 2012 16:20:12 28,420 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm afraid there are plenty of streamer apps on the store Stranded. I picked one up called AirAV and it streams from my NAS or can download them for offline use. Supports all good codecs MP4, WMV, AVI, XVID etc..

• Deleted user 19 November 2012 16:22:46
    There are apps that get around all those problems, all file transfers can be done wirelessly, all formats of video can be played easily.

There are alternatives to using iTunes or iCloud if you choose to use them.

It's not as flexible as a PC/laptop but no tablet is.
  • Stranded87 19 Nov 2012 16:24:30 849 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    I'm afraid there are plenty of streamer apps on the store Stranded. I picked one up called AirAV and it streams from my NAS or can download them for offline use. Supports all good codecs MP4, WMV, AVI, XVID etc..
    Yep there are but what if I want to play things locally or am travelling and don't have access to a network to stream? There are work around's for most of the things that I don't like, but Android stuff is a lot more plug and play, which is ironic considering how Apple stuff is supposed to 'just work'.

I don't want to derail the thread, I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind and I equally know no-one will change mine. My comment was mostly just an aside to the fact that 16GB will fill up fast.
  • Deleted user 19 November 2012 16:28:05
    You seem desperate to find issues that either don't exist or are exactly the same issue for all the competition. It's sweet that you want to justify your purchase and iPad has plenty of issues, just that you haven't named any.
  • Deleted user 19 November 2012 16:28:29
    And everyone agreed 16 gig fills up fast.
  • mrpon 19 Nov 2012 16:30:12 28,420 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Stranded87 perhaps you missed the bit where I said "or can download for offline use"

• Stranded87 19 Nov 2012 16:34:07 849 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mrpon No I didn't miss it, but while I don't know about that app specifically most of them still require me to do it through iTunes, which has been a janky piece of crap on every computer I've used it on- and even when it works it's hardly plug-and-play. And downloading doesn't get around the limited storage the way a USB stick or micro sd card does.
  • Stranded87 19 Nov 2012 16:36:14 849 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    You seem desperate to find issues that either don't exist or are exactly the same issue for all the competition. It's sweet that you want to justify your purchase and iPad has plenty of issues, just that you haven't named any.
    It was one post, how is that desperate? I've followed it up to respond to replies i've got but it's not like I've been trolling the thread. I even acknowledged that I wasn't going to change anyone's mind and didn't want to derail it- I figured that would be the end of it. We all have our own opinions and I'm not trying to justify my purchase either, I love my iPad and use it loads, just only for certain things.

Edited by Stranded87 at 16:37:10 19-11-2012
  • yegon 19 Nov 2012 19:11:26 5,158 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've been playing locally stored video in myriad formats (mainly mkv's) since iPad 2 days with a minimum of fuss, dunno what the big deal is. Sure, you have to bung it on via iTunes (or wirelessly, though not a fan when shifting lots of high bitrate files), but it's hardly any trickier or time consuming than ejecting an sd card, filling it up, then re inserting.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 30 Nov 2012 16:52:58 9,706 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • mrpon 30 Nov 2012 17:05:04 28,420 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @craigy delete post bug

• SuperCoolEskimo 30 Nov 2012 17:21:26 9,706 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sorry :(
  • Salaman 6 Dec 2012 09:27:31 18,855 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Clearly not an early adopter bt I got an ipad 2 days ago (gifted to me, I wouldn't have bothered buying one myself.)

I spent 2-3 hours messing with it the first night. Some questions I do have though, maybe you lot can set me on the right path.

Restrictions
    I'm sure my 3 year old will love the ipad but kids have a 6th sense about touching that one button they shouldn't and finding their way to something you'd rather not have them use/mess with.
    So I'm happy to see there's restrictions.
    Here's how I imagined it would work (since Apple is so user friendly and intuitive).
    I setup the restrictions in the settings. I set up a 4 number pin code for the restrictions. If I lock the ipad, I can either unlock it with the normal pincode to unlock or I can unlock it with the "restriction" pin code and it will unlock with the restrictions applied.
    Sadly that doesn't seem to be the case. It looks like I need to go into settings, restrictions and turn it on or off from there, confirming with the pin code. :-/
    Not really all that practical when you want to swap the ipad around between yourself (unrestricted) and your kid (restricted).
    Is there any toggle for this? If I'm on it and the kid wants it, I just toggle it to apply restrictions before handing it over?
    I assume not but it would be useful.

Contacts
    I have a brand new ipad, so my contacts are blank.
    I went into settings and on the facebook app, allowed contacts to use my facebook info.
    I now have about 170 contacts. Now I'm left with the tedious process of deleting the people I don't plan to really interact with from the contacts one by one (no bulk delete) and I have a useful set of contacts.
    Except I can't delete them.
    If I go to delete someone that is a facebook friend but I don't need in my ipad's contacts, it pops up a warning to tell me that the linked facebook friend will not be deleted. I assumed this meant "We'll delete it from here but you won't have them deleted from your facebook" (and rightly so).
    But it seems to actually mean "we won't delete them, sorry!".
    Is there any way to make the contacts useful? Do I have to turn off the facebook link and then manually add the people I want to have in the contacts?

That's the two things I spent ages trying to sort last night. :-/
    Any tips welcome.
    (Oh, it's on os 6.0.1 if that's relevant).
  • mcmonkeyplc 10 Dec 2012 11:31:28 39,384 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    I've been playing locally stored video in myriad formats (mainly mkv's) since iPad 2 days with a minimum of fuss, dunno what the big deal is. Sure, you have to bung it on via iTunes (or wirelessly, though not a fan when shifting lots of high bitrate files), but it's hardly any trickier or time consuming than ejecting an sd card, filling it up, then re inserting.
    Wait a second, you can transfer stuff wirelessy to your ipad without itunes now?!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• mrpon 10 Dec 2012 11:37:04 28,420 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Keep up monkey. Apps like AcePlayer have wireless transfer options via FTP/Samba clients etc.. I'm sure most of the others have as well.

• Darren 1 Jan 2013 18:16:57 8,697 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I got my 64 GB iPad 4 yesterday from eBuyer and absolutely love it. It came with the battery charge at 85% but I still got over 10 hours use out of it, copying and downloading stuff from my PC using iTunes. I had actually obtained most of the apps and games before I even got my iPad and it just a case of syncing it via iCloud. I even got all my bookmarks from Chrome and Safari (the latter of which is far more impressive and faster than I remember it been on my PC). I know people complain about how safe and overfamiliar iOS is but as a first time user I find it refreshingly polished, slick and, most importantly, fast even with over 20 apps open! The screen is terrifically sharp and crisp for reading and browsing plus the 4:3 aspect ratio totally makes sense now. A 16:9 or 16:10 screen just feels too narrow in both portrait and landscape modes, one of the reasons I decided to buy a tablet in the first place over using my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone. My only criticisms are that the iPad is overpriced by 100 and the fact that it has no expandable storage (hence why I opted for the largest storage size). The quality of the apps make up for those though plus I have chosen to stream media from my PC instead of filling up the iPad as I have with my S3 (it's not like the iPad can be used as a portable MP3 player). This is my first Apple hardware purchase and I doubt it will be my last as I am so impressed with the hardware.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• KennyPowers 1 Jan 2013 19:28:08 94 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Got my gf a used 32Gb ipad 2 off ebay for xmas. She loves it, although she's got all the shopping apps now :s

Is there anyway to get the voice control like iphones do?

Also, how many of you have jailbroken yours?
  • Darren 1 Jan 2013 19:29:58 8,697 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have a bizarre bug with the Music app on my iPad and iTunes 11 on my PC. Basically I am sharing my PC library with my iPad (for reasons I mentioned above) and it works flawlessly even when I am on the other side of the house and downstairs from the router. However, it seems to be showing different album art and album titles to the tracks listed in them, e.g. Howard Jones' Human's Lib album shows the cover and title for The Human League's Dare! this occurs in both the Album and Artist views. The correct art is shown if I play the track from the Songs view though. Anyone else seen this bug?

Also, why doesn't the iPad keyboard change the case of the letters to indicate whether you have upper or lower case selected? I know the Shift key changes to blue to show upper case is selected but it is not as easy to see as seeing actual lower case keys IMO.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Page

of 244 First / Last