The iPad Page 208

• Page

of 244 First / Last

• Deleted user 14 September 2012 11:07:38
    @billythekid Nope, just checked. It's a stand-alone app, I believe.
  • mrpon 14 Sep 2012 11:11:43 28,934 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Screenshot in iTunes shows it in Newsstand

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 14 September 2012 11:21:56
    Ah, ok. It's there now. As a non-native speaker I would miss its 'read an article aloud' feature. Very helpful.
  • yegon 15 Sep 2012 10:24:58 5,278 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bunged the GM of iOS6 on my iPad the other day, wow, I've never been more underwhelmed. Siri is....interesting....I suppose (I skipped the 4S so it new to me) but I can't see me using it much.

Do not disturb is handy and long overdue.

The crazy thing is, the most useful addition for me is probably the addition of a default clock/alarm app! Nothing spectacular, just a big version of the iPhone app really, but I'll probably use it a lot. I never did get around to buying a third party app, of which I'm sure there's gazillions.
  • docrob 15 Sep 2012 10:32:34 289 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The release of Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition has been delayed :( until November :evil:

Edited by docrob at 10:32:59 15-09-2012
  • yegon 15 Sep 2012 10:38:01 5,278 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    The release of Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition has been delayed :( until November :evil:
    Bah, sad news :(

Still, LBP Vita and Torchlight 2 hit next week so it's probably a good thing for me.
  • RyanDS 15 Sep 2012 11:19:22 9,386 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    Cunts
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 20 Sep 2012 22:59:06 6,654 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Been playing swordigo, changed my mind about touchscreen controls for 2d games; this game is an absolute pleasure to control.
  • Deleted user 20 September 2012 23:15:29
    Just tried the 3D maps. Where it's properly implemented (eg. London, Madrid, Rome - Yes, Brussels - No) it looks fantastic. However, when I type the name of my street into Search, I get no results.

Swings and roundabouts I suppose... :)
  • CharlieStCloud 21 Sep 2012 08:35:01 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Greggywocky... wrote:
    However, when I type the name of my street into Search, I get no results.
    Go ahead and type 'Colchester' (in Suffolk) on Maps ...

... what do you see in satellite view?

That is where I used to work for one year and I remember more to the place than that!
  • damagedinc 23 Sep 2012 18:44:14 772 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thinking of getting an ipad 3. Should i wait? Heard there are talks of a new one coming out?
  • CharlieStCloud 23 Sep 2012 18:48:11 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    damagedinc wrote:
    Thinking of getting an ipad 3. Should i wait? Heard there are talks of a new one coming out?
    A small possibility of a fandangled iPad mini in the next month or so, although I personally do not see the point to be perfectly honest!

The next new iPad shall be out next March or April time ... it is up to you if you wish to buy one now or patiently wait for a good six months.

... : )
  • damagedinc 23 Sep 2012 19:02:13 772 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    damagedinc wrote:
    A small possibility of a fandangled iPad mini in the next month or so, although I personally do not see the point to be perfectly honest!

The next new iPad shall be out next March or April time ... it is up to you if you wish to buy one now or patiently wait for a good six months.

... : )
    Thinking of asking for a 3 for my birthday/crimbo joint present. Which is in nov. Find with tech you would never get anything if you always waited.

If it was soon would wait.
  • THFourteen 23 Sep 2012 19:08:03 33,467 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Depends if you want a smaller form factor or not I think.

ipad 3 is pretty heavy
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 23 Sep 2012 19:12:41 6,654 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've got a 3, really nice to use but Apple are pretty ruthless about rendering hardware redundant by releasing new versions.

1 year or so isn't a lot for a £500 purchase.
  • CharlieStCloud 23 Sep 2012 19:20:44 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    damagedinc wrote:
    Thinking of asking for a 3 for my birthday/crimbo joint present. Which is in nov. Find with tech you would never get anything if you always waited.

If it was soon would wait.
    To be honest, apart from the all-new lightning connector, a slight bump in performance and graphics (remember, the new iPad is very battery hungry with the Retina screen) and perhaps the slightest of cosmetic change, the next iPad will not be quite as big a leap as the new one made from iPad 2.

... and if you do really want a new one in March or April time, you'll be surprised at how high the resell value is.
  • mrpon 23 Sep 2012 19:25:48 28,934 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Depends if you want a smaller form factor or not I think.

ipad 3 is pretty heavy
    Yeah, the 3 is good for on your lap/desk usage. I've been using my 7" Android quite a bit, which is great weight for one handed usage. All depends on your requirements ;)

• damagedinc 23 Sep 2012 20:09:37 772 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mainly for reading and hd comics, aswell as browsing and games. Seen plenty of people commute with it and seem to cope.

I looked at nexus 7 and to be honest cant see me gaining much from that over my samsung gs2. Do like the look of an ipad and a bit more fun than a kindle.
  • THFourteen 23 Sep 2012 21:09:01 33,467 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's great for all those things, apart from gaming IMO. I just find it too heavy for long sessions, especially for those games with thumb controls.

Think I will trade in for a mini version if it comes out
  • damagedinc 23 Sep 2012 21:11:49 772 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    It's great for all those things, apart from gaming IMO. I just find it too heavy for long sessions, especially for those games with thumb controls.

Think I will trade in for a mini version if it comes out
    Agreed although have hacked psp for portable retro goodness so would stick to ipad friendly games for the commute.
  • spindizzy 23 Sep 2012 22:54:45 6,527 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    I've got a 3, really nice to use but Apple are pretty ruthless about rendering hardware redundant by releasing new versions.

1 year or so isn't a lot for a £500 purchase.
    I only have an ipad1 and it still works fine and is used almost daily. I really don't get how a new one coming out renders an iPad3 useless.

And even then, apple are pretty good about updating the sw of old tablets and phones (better than anyone else I'm sure).
  • mrpon 23 Sep 2012 23:04:49 28,934 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You ain't getting ios6!

• damagedinc 24 Sep 2012 10:54:20 772 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    You ain't getting ios6!
    You say it like its a bad thing
  • mrpon 24 Sep 2012 11:14:47 28,934 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heh, just responding to his "pretty good about updating the sw of old tablets" line, but yeah nothing much to shout about in it.

• dominalien 24 Sep 2012 11:26:55 6,882 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Heh, just responding to his "pretty good about updating the sw of old tablets" line, but yeah nothing much to shout about in it.
    2 years of OS updates is not so bad. Sure, it would have been nice to get iOS 6 on the iPad1 (I have a couple of those in the house and they get daily use; I never thought to replace them so far), but it's going to keep working just fine on 5.1.1.

The "Apple renders hardware obsolete by releasing new versions" statement is really, really stupid.

PSN: DonOsito

• mrpon 24 Sep 2012 11:30:17 28,934 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Speaking of which, I noticed MusicMagpie are now accepting iPod/Phone/Pads. For a pittance I assume, I've not compared.

• TFM_Excalibur 28 Sep 2012 09:12:22 1,059 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finally got an ipad 2 yesterday.

Makes me wonder why i waited so long!
  • THFourteen 28 Sep 2012 09:12:59 33,467 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BTW if like me anyone was waiting for the Mechwarrior tactical command app, dont bother its apparently quite shite.
  • RyanDS 28 Sep 2012 10:52:02 9,386 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    13 weeks since I got my iPad and I finally found a decent game. (Barring boardgames and 90's point and click adventures.)

Bastion is actually rather good. Sure the controls would work better with actual buttons, but it is still playable and looks lovely.

First time I have felt the iPad is a viable games machine.
  • mrcrumley 1 Oct 2012 20:15:42 376 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Page

of 244 First / Last