Triangle - Movie

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 7 January 2010 13:47:10
    I watched this last night - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187064/
    Wow....what a thought provoking film. I wasn't expecting much, but this is way more than your everyday run of the mill horror flick. Thing is, I can't really give too much away, without revealing the whole plot, but it revolves around a timeloop that really makes your head ache and work overtime. I had to watch it again as soon as it had finished to get my head around it, but it's really good. I highly recommend it to any fellow Eg'ers who like films with a time theme.
    Anyone here seen it? What's your theory? Mine is she's invented it all in her head after the death of her son, or that she's actually in her own made hell.
  • Deleted user 7 January 2010 14:07:12
    It is a serious good intelligent film. If you liked Jacob's Ladder or The Prestige, or even Donnie Darko, then this is for you. The acting is good as well. Trailer here - http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2981299481/
  • BinaryBob101 7 Jan 2010 15:35:19 24,065 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've heard quite a bit of positive word of mouth about this and I'm looking forward to checking it out.

I wouldn't watch the trailer though.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• jellyhead 7 Jan 2010 15:38:41 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cheers for this, sounds good. I'll avoid the trailer as in recent years they have a habit of giving far too much away. Stupid trailers.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• whatthefu 7 Jan 2010 16:06:11 878 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is it a proper horror?
    I was interested in seeing this, but I really don't have time for cliched startles or unnerving films.
    What's it like?
  • Deleted user 7 January 2010 16:10:14
    It's not a horror really, my bad choice of words....I'd say more mystery/thriller with a sci-fi twist.
  • whatthefu 7 Jan 2010 16:26:40 878 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've seen it listed in the horror genre, so I was wondering.
    Might check it out then
  • Deleted user 9 January 2010 19:55:02
    I've watched it yet again....mades my mind bobble. There's so many 'if's' and 'whys' it makes my hurt! Great fun though watching it again to work it out.
  • funkstar 9 Jan 2010 20:56:37 1,194 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    one thing bothers me about this movie...
    the movie seems to suggest she can't change anything, yet she quite clearly does when she confronts herself with a shotgun, as in the earlier scene there was just one of her and the guy was trying to choke her

apart from that, cool movie, and i like the whole purgatory theory

The Lives of Nobody Important Paperback

• Deleted user 12 January 2010 07:30:27
    Yeah I wasn't sure about the end of that.

First of all how the hell did she escape completely unharmed from the car crash without anyone noticing? Secondly, when she gets back on the yacht it's clear she's done this before, so why is she so incapable of making a difference when she's already apparently achieved it at least once.

Perhaps she does in the end. Anyway, really enjoyed it. Reminded me a lot of Primer and Timecrimes. Very entertaining!
  • adamz 7 Feb 2010 20:59:50 1 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A great time travel movie 10/10
    1 thing i dont understand though..probebly a mistake

if the story is in an infinite loop then the penant that falls of her neck should not accumilate. the dead birds should not accumilate either...each time it happens should be the first.

• Deleted user 9 March 2010 22:31:22
    Finally saw it, great stuff.

I think the accumulation and the fact that we see her physically kill a copy on the bow of the ship just before the boat arrives, that doesn't happen with our version of her, shows that the loop continues round from the beginning and is just as susceptible to random changes in attitude depending on the copy. She won't necessarily act the same each time, although chances are she will. Chaos theory, motherfuckers!
  • Gambit1977 9 Mar 2010 22:34:52 10,382 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really enjoyed it, but didn't find it that taxing or overly intelligent. In fact, I went into it expecting to enjoy it, but didn't expect to adore melissa georges shorts quite so much!
  • Flightrisker 9 Mar 2010 22:39:49 18,138 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But the differences are set in the loop (I think).

I imagine it as follows. There's 2 loops playing out. And at any one time there's 3 versions of her one the boat. So either we have loop A start, loop B in the middle and Loop A at the end, or B/A/B. Hence why there's 2 different final versions of her if you will, (bag head and blood face). Depending the which composition is present changes how the events play out.
  • Deleted user 9 March 2010 22:48:56
    Spoilertags, Flightrisker.

There's more than three versions of her. There's two versions of her halfway through the film we don't see struggling at the bow of the boat before the jumper version kills a boilersuit version by axe. There's no way of knowing where or how she got into this loop either. A guy on IMDB seemed to think she killed her son, but that's just a convenient explanation for a plot which doesn't need it. You could never work it out.

The little hints at a bigger story, the rotting food and time changes, are just there for effect.

Gambit1977 wrote:
    I really enjoyed it, but didn't find it that taxing or overly intelligent. In fact, I went into it expecting to enjoy it, but didn't expect to adore melissa georges shorts quite so much!

I went onto IMDB where some guy had totally overthought it. It's one of those open films which is quite clear but leaves enough unexplained to leave you asking questions. It's good storytelling as it leaves a lot open to interpretation.

There's some Shining references in there, which is nice, and the Greek mythology angle is good too.

The film reminded me of a similar science fiction, Primer, which pulled the same tricks.
  • Gambit1977 9 Mar 2010 22:50:37 10,382 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:

There's more than three versions of her. There's two versions of her halfway through the film we don't see struggling at the bow of the boat before the jumper version kills a boilersuit version by axe. There's no way of knowing where or how she got into this loop either. A guy on IMDB seemed to think she killed her son, but that's just a convenient explanation for a plot which doesn't need it. You could never work it out.

The little hints at a bigger story, the rotting food and time changes, are just there for effect.

Gambit1977 wrote:

I went onto IMDB where some guy had totally overthought it. It's one of those open films which is quite clear but leaves enough unexplained to leave you asking questions. It's good storytelling as it leaves a lot open to interpretation.

There's some Shining references in there, which is nice, and the Greek mythology angle is good too.

The film reminded me of a similar science fiction, Primer, which pulled the same tricks.

Funny, I thought of Primer when watching it. And TimeCrimes.
  • Deleted user 9 March 2010 22:54:24
    But did you think of...

Timecop?
  • Gambit1977 9 Mar 2010 22:56:16 10,382 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    But did you think of...

Timecop?

Two people can't occupy the same space at the same time....so, no. Plus no bare VD ass, which was a definite plus for triangle!

I get your point though.
  • Gambit1977 9 Mar 2010 23:06:30 10,382 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    I'm downloading now, Im going in freshh...Know nothing about this

Support quality film making and all that ;-)

Enjoy it. :-)
  • Flightrisker 9 Mar 2010 23:08:32 18,138 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:

Not really any need for spoiler tags. I purposely didn't mention nay plot points.

There's definitely not more than 3 versions of her. There are 2 loops. There's "our" Jess who is timeloop A and becomes Bag head Jess. And there's timeloop B Jess who is in the middle section of the story (sees a new Jess arriving but hasn't killed the Baghead Jess yet). Timeloop B jess doesn't become baghead jess as she is in a different loop. She becomes bloody face Jess. Bloody face Jess seems far more callous then "or" [A] Jess (she is also the one from the very start beating on the kid.

• Deleted user 9 March 2010 23:10:57
    Great spoiler in the thread title

/picard
  • Deleted user 9 March 2010 23:19:42
    There's also the Jess who knocks on the Door at the beginning, love the setup that she looks like a nice mum, but she's clearly lost it and can't handle it.
  • Flightrisker 9 Mar 2010 23:21:53 18,138 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    There's also the Jess who knocks on the Door at the beginning, love the setup that she looks like a nice mum, but she's clearly lost it and can't handle it.

That's Jess A though. We see this at the end.
  • Deleted user 9 March 2010 23:32:24
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    I'm downloading now, Im going in freshh...Know nothing about this

Support quality film making and all that ;-)

Enjoy it. :-)

Yeah, if you're going to be a pirate please don't advertise it. Some of us do work in media that requires you to buy our output to support your enjoyment, k?
  • Deleted user 9 March 2010 23:35:53
    Flightrisker wrote:
    Not really any need for spoiler tags. I purposely didn't mention nay plot points.

There's definitely not more than 3 versions of her. There are 2 loops. There's "our" Jess who is timeloop A and becomes Bag head Jess. And there's timeloop B Jess who is in the middle section of the story (sees a new Jess arriving but hasn't killed the Baghead Jess yet). Timeloop B jess doesn't become baghead jess as she is in a different loop. She becomes bloody face Jess. Bloody face Jess seems far more callous then "or" [A] Jess (she is also the one from the very start beating on the kid.

Eh, well, I disagree- I think that mentioning the crux of the film in loops and versions of the protagonist gives some of it away. Please edit if you can, if I'd had known that prior it would've ruined my enjoyment a little bit. :)

There is more than three versions of her. The two at the bow of the boat are two jesses we've not actually seen before - in the main we see three loops interacting, but there's a few nods including the bow scrap that allude to more. There's also proof of the amount of versions in the amount of dropped amulets through a grill, and the massive hint in the other womans death amongst a pile of other copied bodies.
  • Deleted user 9 March 2010 23:37:52
    Flightrisker wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:

Not necessarily.
  • Flightrisker 10 Mar 2010 08:23:11 18,138 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    Flightrisker wrote:

Eh, well, I disagree- I think that mentioning the crux of the film in loops and versions of the protagonist gives some of it away. Please edit if you can, if I'd had known that prior it would've ruined my enjoyment a little bit. :)

There is more than three versions of her. The two at the bow of the boat are two jesses we've not actually seen before - in the main we see three loops interacting, but there's a few nods including the bow scrap that allude to more. There's also proof of the amount of versions in the amount of dropped amulets through a grill, and the massive hint in the other womans death amongst a pile of other copied bodies.

How many times have you watched it? I was pretty confused first time I saw it but then watched it again immediately (and then again when it finally came out in the cinema here!). It wasn't til the second viewing that I really grasped it. There's clearly only 2 versions of her and 3 of her on the ship at one time. The other confrontation at the bow is the ending of the BAB loop. The baghead one is the end of the ABA loop. And I know there's multiple versions of thing that's cos it's continuing to loop. She comes back at the end. Which @crispy is what they show us at the start.

I'm trying not to sound like a prick here but I'm pretty sure you've misinterpreted the whole movie. If I'm wrong then fair enough but having watched it 3 times in a short time I think I have it pretty sussed.
  • Flightrisker 10 Mar 2010 08:52:16 18,138 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Flightrisker wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:

Not necessarily.

It clearly is. Did you not get that it was a loop? That was the whole point of the film.
  • nickthegun 10 Mar 2010 09:10:52 61,039 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have to say I was a bit disappointed with this. It started off slowly, got pretty good and then kind of flapped around on its arse for a bit.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous