Robocop Remake Page 9

• Page

of 23 First / Last

• Waffleaber 6 Sep 2013 09:23:09 459 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Poor Paul Verhoeven.

Basic Instinct remake with Lindley Lohan and James Pattinson next I reckon.
  • b0rk 6 Sep 2013 09:24:37 2,942 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is going to make me seem deeply uncool but what did the violence add to Robocop? Most of it seemed cruel and unusual to my sensitive brain. The bit with Murphy getting shot to bits was just...nope!
  • Whizzo 6 Sep 2013 09:27:09 43,352 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Robocop remake appears to be missing the vital ingredient that made the original Robocop Alex Murphy, a soul.

This space left intentionally blank.

• nickthegun 6 Sep 2013 09:27:10 61,299 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The violence made it cool.

Just a quick show of hands... who watched robocop before their 10th birthday?

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• b0rk 6 Sep 2013 09:27:53 2,942 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    .o\
  • nickthegun 6 Sep 2013 09:29:37 61,299 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I do kind of agree with you in that the original wouldnt lose much if the violence was toned down to a 15.

• b0rk 6 Sep 2013 09:36:20 2,942 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have no problems with the violence in The Terminator for example but in Robocop it just seems sadistic. I think it seems especially bad because Peter Weller did such a great job as Murphy. I really like the Murphy character so to see him go through that was fucking rough. I suppose that's the whole point.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 6 Sep 2013 09:44:50 39,758 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The scene where Murphy "dies" is supposed to be a crucifixion, so he may be reborn as our savior. It's not meant to be anything but "fucking rough" :D

Edited by MrTomFTW at 09:46:54 06-09-2013

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• PearOfAnguish 6 Sep 2013 09:45:35 7,496 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What the fuck was that. Seems there were actually people out there who watched Total Recall and thought "yes, that was a good movie and we should definitely try to do the same thing to a bunch of other classics."

Also, well done on the trailer editor for giving away a load of the story.
  • TheDarkKnight 6 Sep 2013 09:46:49 695 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Looks better than I expected, but clearly it's toned down violence by a fair few notches. Not surprising I suppose, the original gave me nightmares! Even so, that was a big part of what made it great.

You don't really even need to watch this film, you can tell the 'story' from the trailer. Where's Murphy? Saving her for a sequel?

Micheal Keaton has aged well. I'd love him to have come back to play Batman you know.

A silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Dark Knight. Twitch PSN The_Apostle

• KRadiation 6 Sep 2013 09:47:55 305 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Looks like they have sacrificed Boddiker for more humanisation.

Ive watched Robocop like a billion times and I couldnt tell you what his wife looks like. In this she looks like she is going to be one of the main characters.

It seems like its going to be similar to the Total Recall remake. Looks fantastic, has some brilliant and inventive future science stuff but ultimately boring.
    They lost me as soon as I saw his wife standing in front of police telling robocop to 'stop' with her hand out stretched. Just pathetically embarrassing.
  • nickthegun 6 Sep 2013 09:48:46 61,299 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im kind of reserving judgement. The director has a good track record and theres enough in there for it to be encouraging.

It does, however, commit my absolute pet hate at the moment of injecting kitchen sink drama into sci-fi.

'HES YOUR SON ALEX'

I dont give a fuck, get to the part where you shoot people.

• JiveHound 6 Sep 2013 09:49:22 2,723 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just seen the trailer. What a load of shit.

I watched Robocop way before I was supposed to though so maybe that has coloured my opinion somewhat.

I will avoid this like I did the Total Recall remake and leave my memories untarnished thankyoukindly.

Edited by JiveHound at 09:50:17 06-09-2013

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• AcidSnake 6 Sep 2013 09:54:14 7,297 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TheDarkKnight wrote:
    Where's Murphy? Saving her for a sequel?
    Lewis... :)

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• binky Moderator 6 Sep 2013 10:00:27 9,949 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bring back Duffy!

Officer Duffy.....take a seat.
  • Tonka 6 Sep 2013 10:03:59 21,349 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think this is one of the most important films of the last few decades. I'm glad it will be seen by a wider audience and I can only hope this will make a few of them watch the originals.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Latin 6 Sep 2013 10:06:43 3,826 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    End of the trailer turned into an Iron man movie...

This looks worse than the Total Recall remake. That was just so bad it made me angry... Leave these classic movies alone FFS. Next we'll have the Running Man remade into a PG-13 and the stalkers will be robots.

See you at the party Richter!
  • Tonka 6 Sep 2013 10:10:05 21,349 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Trailer is awesome. The film looks like one of those remakes that surpases the original.
    Let's face it... cyberpunks? New toys? The original is ham on a can.

Can't wait. Will go to Copenhagen to watch it at the IMAX baby!

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• spindle9988 6 Sep 2013 10:11:51 3,676 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The violence made it cool.

Just a quick show of hands... who watched robocop before their 10th birthday?
    Yep. On a dodgy vhs pirate
  • TheDarkKnight 6 Sep 2013 10:15:57 695 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    TheDarkKnight wrote:
    Where's Murphy? Saving her for a sequel?
    Lewis... :)
    Whoops, that would be the one! Not enough coffee yet :)

Thing I like about it is that cyborg robots can now run and jump and all that cool stuff. I realise this was in part due to the costume Peter Weller had to wear, as it was very restrictive, and CGI/motion capture has advanced massively. Reminds me of Ghost in the Shell quite a bit. Only thing I don't like is his lack of amnesia. He seems to be fully understanding of who he is and what he is after his 'procedure'. The best bits of the original was this erie feeling of "this could happen to me", waking up after an accident and never fully understanding what's happening. His journey was to find himself as well as capture the bad guy. Unless they have some plot device (reseting his brain/cpu) then that's a shame.

Edited by TheDarkKnight at 10:22:05 06-09-2013

A silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Dark Knight. Twitch PSN The_Apostle

• spindle9988 6 Sep 2013 10:19:44 3,676 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TheDarkKnight wrote:
    Looks better than I expected, but clearly it's toned down violence by a fair few notches. Not surprising I suppose, the original gave me nightmares! Even so, that was a big part of what made it great.

You don't really even need to watch this film, you can tell the 'story' from the trailer. Where's Murphy? Saving her for a sequel?

Micheal Keaton has aged well. I'd love him to have come back to play Batman you know.
    Keaton in a return of the dark knight film would be awesome. Instead we have daredevil Affleck to look forward to
  • Deleted user 6 September 2013 10:22:06
    Looks completely insipid.
  • Steve_Perry 6 Sep 2013 10:25:17 5,200 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I thought it looked good actually. The CGI looks decent and it seems to retain a bit of the feel of the old film.

The classification is concerning though. It should be violent like Dredd was. Thinking about it Karl Urban would have made a great Robo.
  • wobbly_Bob 6 Sep 2013 10:31:11 1,898 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The original robocop is an amazing film. I watched it again fairly recently and expected it to have aged badly and now only so good in my memory but no it's still brilliant.

I disagree with those saying it can't be good without the violence. That's like saying a game can't be good if it doesn't have great graphics. It's the story and characters that make a movie good or bad. Some of the wittiest movies with the best stories and characters have been "kids" movies: Rango, wall-e, and up are amazing films in their own right. Often violence and cgi are crutches for poor movies to lean on.

Edit.

What I have seen so far is worrying. But, let's wait and see, you never know!

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 10:33:37 06-09-2013
  • Razz 6 Sep 2013 10:31:17 61,655 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    From Reddit:

"[–]porracaralho 460 points 9 hours ago* (548|88)
    It is ironic that the movie is about Free Will. A year ago Fernando Meirelles (City of God director) described this phone conversation with José Padilha (Elite Squad), the Robocop director:
    (google translator)
    "I talked to José Padilha by phone a week ago. He will begin filming Robocop. He is saying that it is the worst experience of his life. Every 10 ideas he has, 9 are cut. Anything he wants, he has to fight. 'This is hell here,' he said to me. 'The film will be good, but I never suffered so much and do not want to do it again.' He is bitter, but he's a fighter."
    edit: damn google translation"

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• PearOfAnguish 6 Sep 2013 10:35:05 7,496 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Will they fill it full of nods to the original, like Total Recall's hamfisted efforts?

Bet they don't show Robocop firing through a woman's dress to shoot a crim in the nuts.
  • HarryPalmer 6 Sep 2013 10:40:25 3,584 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What annoys me about these remakes is that they know what they are doing. It's not like they just fucked up, they are purposefully watering them down, smoothing the rough edges, and taking all the bite out of them, in an attempt to squeeze money out of us saps.

They are LITERALLY raping my childhood.
  • Page

of 23 First / Last