Android App and Game Review Thread Page 6

• Page

of 94 First / Last

• Load_2.0 6 Jul 2010 17:29:42 19,296 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bubble Defense is some time swallowing fun.

A very simple tower defense game.
  • Razz 6 Jul 2010 18:16:33 61,209 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    How does it compare to robodefense?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• ming 6 Jul 2010 18:50:10 275 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Galaxy Domination is very similar to GalaxIR, but has a better campaign mode

Carrom3D is a 3d snooker/pool/some other game that I dont understand.

Super KO boxing is a very well produced boxing game.
  • Deleted user 6 July 2010 19:32:00
    Angry birds sucks balls. Massively overrated. Pixs and love and doodle jump are where it is at.
  • suicida 12 Jul 2010 19:06:18 254 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A word of warning: if you use ASTRO File Manager and dislike ads on your phone then don't update to the latest version.

Anyone got the .APK file of the old version? (2.4.2)
  • gogobaka 12 Jul 2010 19:18:47 689 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    God forbid someone should want to make money off their work!
  • suicida 12 Jul 2010 20:15:47 254 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If they released a paid-for version I would buy it straight away, I've got several paid-for apps on my phone. Not all Android users are cheapskates.
  • Trowel 13 Jul 2010 13:35:31 17,784 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Google offers drag-and-drop App Inventor

Sounds ace.
  • suicida 13 Jul 2010 20:59:13 254 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just a heads-up: there's a PRO key for ASTRO File Manager on the market now ($2.99)

Bought.
  • Trowel 13 Jul 2010 21:39:59 17,784 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TuneWiki - one of the best apps out there for showing off to people the power of Android, and free.

It's impressive enough that it synchs your tunes with its massive lyrics database (it's like portable karaoke), but even better is you can then view everyone else who's listening to the same tune anywhere in the world on TuneWiki, or just browse by region and see what other people are listening to right now, and then search for the same song on YouTube. eg. I can see right now what some bloke is listening to in Reading - my dream come true.

Nintaii - fantastic, if all too brief, block puzzler.

Mystique - ok horror/Saw puzzler, similar to that flash based one where you're stuck in a room (but not as good). Impressive 3D visuals though.
  • LFMartins 16 Jul 2010 20:34:29 5,704 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RockPlayer was launched yesterday. Itīs a great media player, it can run avi files withouth a problem.
    I also tried a 720p mov file that was a bit sluggish and it ran a 720p mkv at a rate of 2/3 frames per second.
  • terminalterror 16 Jul 2010 20:59:51 18,937 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was interested to see when that came out of beta.

I'll be giving that a go.

Also should hopefully work with myPlayer (an unofficial iplayer app) high quality downloads. I tried one out, but it wouldn't play with any sound.
  • Trowel 16 Jul 2010 21:28:08 17,784 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LFMartins wrote:
    RockPlayer was launched yesterday. Itīs a great media player, it can run avi files withouth a problem.
    I also tried a 720p mov file that was a bit sluggish and it ran a 720p mkv at a rate of 2/3 frames per second.
    Nice one - been waiting ages for an .avi player and that works a treat. Great quality.
  • terminalterror 17 Jul 2010 11:02:08 18,937 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Antennas is an amazing utility!

It shows you every cell tower on your network nearby, their signal strength and which one you are currently connected to (2G only, for 3G it can only tell you which one you are connected to, apparently due to the way GPRS and HSPDA work).

As well as that, it shows you where the network based location thinks you are, and also your GPS location (if you've got GPS turned on).

Plus it is free and tiny!
  • PearOfAnguish 17 Jul 2010 11:27:04 7,305 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BetterCut - an improved version of AnyCut which actually works properly. Customises your shortcuts.
    QuickDesk - brings up a shortcut menu which overlays any other app, so you don't need to go back to the homescreen if you've forgotten to enable data or whatever.
    LauncherPro - brilliant home screen replacement.
    Home Switcher - useful if you get a home replacement like LaunchPro.
    Awesome Drop - drop files onto a web site and it downloads them to your phone.
    Quick Settings - quick access to GPS, data etc. I prefer this to having individual widgets.
    Palmary Weather - really nice weather app.
  • mikew1985 17 Jul 2010 11:32:22 12,755 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just downloaded rockplayer, works flawlessly on a desire with avi, looks fantastic; futurama was my test material ;D

I would definitely recommend.
  • Fake_Blood 17 Jul 2010 11:35:37 4,215 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Installed app brain and tried antennas.
    Well how about that, I have a cell tower almost in my back yard.
    This will be great for those times when reception is low, you can just walk closer to the antenna.
  • terminalterror 17 Jul 2010 20:10:47 18,937 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    Awesome Drop - drop files onto a web site and it downloads them to your phone.

This is incredibly awesome!
  • PearOfAnguish 18 Jul 2010 08:43:27 7,305 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It does indeed live up to its name. One of those apps for showing off your phone.
  • eleven63 19 Jul 2010 17:12:13 1,603 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone else tried Dolphin Browser? - was having real problems with Opera Mini (cookies and cache) moved to this, and pretty good so-far - has a nifty gesture feature, swiping on your screen with certain gestures allows you to bookmark web pages, go forward/back, refresh, etc

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• myiagros 19 Jul 2010 17:21:41 1,346 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    eleven63 wrote:
    Anyone else tried Dolphin Browser? - was having real problems with Opera Mini (cookies and cache) moved to this, and pretty good so-far - has a nifty gesture feature, swiping on your screen with certain gestures allows you to bookmark web pages, go forward/back, refresh, etc

Yeah i've been using Dolphin HD, on my Desire, for the last 3-4weeks.

Much better than the stock browser, can't say I use the gesture stuff much though.

I find it really good for multi tab browsing, you could do it in the stock browser but it's much quicker switching between them in Dolphin.
  • terminalterror 19 Jul 2010 17:23:50 18,937 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't use the gestures in Dolphin HD either, but like myiagros says, it does tabs far better than the stock browser, which is the main reason I've switched over.
  • uiruki 19 Jul 2010 17:24:44 3,704 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I use dolphin browser. The only real annoyance I've encountered is the inability to deactivate flash lite on desire 2.1. With Froyo the issue doesn't exist. It also used to always use google.de for search results but that seems largely fixed.

I tried Grooveshark - is it me or is the client utter bollocks? It uses 60% cpu, constantly hangs and FCs, and the menus only work maybe 75% of the time. The selection on Spotify may be worse but the client runs rings around it.
  • Load_2.0 20 Jul 2010 10:21:27 19,296 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    How does it compare to robodefense?

Oh Robo defense is better. I just can't seem to get it on my current phone...

Homerun battle 3D is brilliantly awesome. Hugely addictive and the only game I have purchased after the free demo.

Addictive and great fun in short bursts or sink an hour in dedicated achievement chasing! - Depending on how good you are! (Beware use of the word addicting being used in the comments! :S)
  • RyanDS 23 Jul 2010 09:19:13 9,388 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    After a week with my Desire:

Google Shopper - I love this, it's especially great for showing of to your friends. Just point the phone at a book cover and it recognises it etc. That never gets old, in fact 2 people have ordered the same phone now just from that app demo.

Galaxy Domination - A great free game. Been playing it obsesively for a couple of days now, difficulty is a bit easy though.

Google Listen - Decent, however it has this weird habit of starting a podcast playing when my phone is locked in my pocket and I am listening to music. I'll be in the middle of Ireon Maiden and suddenly will hear a podcast overlaid. Weird.

Cribbage Pro - Passes the time.

Anyone got any other good games to recomend?
  • Load_2.0 23 Jul 2010 09:27:50 19,296 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:

Galaxy Domination - A great free game. Been playing it obsesively for a couple of days now, difficulty is a bit easy though.

Anyone got any other good games to recomend?

I too played this obsesively, thinking that at any moment (after say level 50, 60, 70) the difficulty would spike. It didn't.

Then I found the difficulty settings.

On hard I found it completely impossible to beat one mission.

So my advice don't bother to continue playing it on easy and adjust the setting s early.
  • Deleted user 27 July 2010 10:10:29
    Apparently Sky have released a Sky+ remote record app. I can't see it on the market yet (HTC Hero 2.1), anyone else had any luck or am I just being special?
  • glo 27 Jul 2010 11:18:02 3,425 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    doesn't show up for me either, but then i have a htc tattoo and my view of the market is rather limited.
  • Cadence 27 Jul 2010 11:25:58 1,687 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Just downloaded rockplayer, works flawlessly on a desire with avi, looks fantastic; futurama was my test material ;D

I would definitely recommend.

Any audio sync problems? This is a big problem for a lot of Desire users and something I hope they fix with the 2.2 update.

Mind you - you might not notice it so much when watching animation.
  • Deleted user 27 July 2010 12:23:37
    glo wrote:
    doesn't show up for me either, but then i have a htc tattoo and my view of the market is rather limited.
    It's appeared for me now. Simply titled 'Sky+'
  • Page

of 94 First / Last