Stronger stomach

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • malloc 14 Dec 2009 14:47:14 2,093 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hi, I've come back off holiday from western Africa for the third time and as per the last 2 times I've had stomach cramps and diarrhea. What I'm wanting to do is to increase my stomach strength, not in the 6 pack style purely in the digestive power, or whatever the term is. Anyone got an good suggestions?
  • TheSaint 14 Dec 2009 14:48:32 13,629 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Live yoghurt?
  • MetalDog 14 Dec 2009 14:48:46 23,706 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Eat more of whatever it was you ate/drank until you get used to it?*

*or die

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• FWB 14 Dec 2009 14:48:48 41,896 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bleach.
  • itamae 14 Dec 2009 14:49:43 9,827 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lick the floor in a public restroom?
  • otto Moderator 14 Dec 2009 14:50:54 49,291 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Do you know what it was that made you ill? Short of exposing yourself continuously and building up some resistance I'd say you're better off being more careful about what you eat and drink! No fresh fruit, veg or salad unless it's been 'jikked' (dipped in a bleach solution); no meat unless you know where it comes from; no water that hasn't come from a sealed bottle; no local alcohol... etc. The usual third world rules. :(

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• FWB 14 Dec 2009 14:52:05 41,896 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Try not to make contact with the locals, either. If you have to direct them, use a stick.
  • Deleted user 14 December 2009 14:52:50
    otto wrote:
    The usual third world rules. :(

Does that also include not getting too close to Madonna if she comes with a net and a pack of Orios?
  • malloc 14 Dec 2009 14:53:57 2,093 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's more the water and / or dairy products that probably do it. Can't really get myself used to it until I'm actually there...

Any exercises or foods or anything that can do before? In the UK I do eat similar foods at a very similar timetable everyday. My stomach is my weak point and I tend to loose my appetite when I'm not feeling well or if I'm nervous, a right pain, used to have collic when growning up.
  • THFourteen 14 Dec 2009 14:54:38 31,775 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    how long were you there for?

i went to Mumbai for 10 weeks this summer, and the first 3 weeks i was constantly ill, but for the last 4 weeks i was fine, eating loads of stuff i'd never have touched previously.

i think your body naturally builds up immunity and tolerance but if you are nto there long enough you just wont cope.

and some stuff will just kill you regardless of stomach strength
  • phAge 14 Dec 2009 14:55:10 24,280 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    When I was in Costa Rica, I, my girlf and one of my mates ate pretty much anything we wanted to (including fruits, veggies, etc.), while the rest of the group followed otto's (sound) advice.

Needless to say, the majority of the party got severe runs, while the 3 of us had no problems whatsoever.
  • malloc 14 Dec 2009 14:56:10 2,093 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really was being careful. I had some ice cubes in a drink, which I was told were bought in and some ice cream at a western styled hotel. Next morning and for next 36 hours was ill. Not uncontrollably that it ruined my holiday but I'd rather not have had it. Now that have come back to UK I've still got it a bit. Went through about 10 immodium tablets, probably good time to buy shares...
  • THFourteen 14 Dec 2009 14:57:11 31,775 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    10!!!

fuck me thats nothing

the only thing i pop more than immodium on a holiday to india, is ibuprofen at the end of a week of skiing
  • phAge 14 Dec 2009 14:57:22 24,280 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    malloc wrote:
    It's more the water and / or dairy products that probably do it. Can't really get myself used to it until I'm actually there...

Any exercises or foods or anything that can do before? In the UK I do eat similar foods at a very similar timetable everyday. My stomach is my weak point and I tend to loose my appetite when I'm not feeling well or if I'm nervous, a right pain, used to have collic when growning up.
    You are aware that diarrhea is caused by foreign bacteria that messes with your intestinal flora, right? Of course, exotic spices and strong/fatty foods can cause problems as well, but the main culprit is the alien bactteria found in unwashed/cooked food.
  • cianchristopher 14 Dec 2009 14:57:40 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It runs down your leg like a soft-boiled egg - diarrhea, diarrhea!!
  • otto Moderator 14 Dec 2009 14:58:44 49,291 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    malloc wrote:
    Well don't touch dairy (except yoghurt) and don't touch water (or anything diluted in water, or ice cubes, etc) unless you know it's come from a reliable bottled source.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• otto Moderator 14 Dec 2009 14:59:23 49,291 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    malloc wrote:
    I really was being careful. I had some ice cubes in a drink, which I was told were bought in and some ice cream at a western styled hotel. Next morning and for next 36 hours was ill. Not uncontrollably that it ruined my holiday but I'd rather not have had it. Now that have come back to UK I've still got it a bit. Went through about 10 immodium tablets, probably good time to buy shares...
    Western-style hotels are often the worst culprits.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• otto Moderator 14 Dec 2009 14:59:48 49,291 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    When I was in Costa Rica, I, my girlf and one of my mates ate pretty much anything we wanted to (including fruits, veggies, etc.), while the rest of the group followed otto's (sound) advice.

Needless to say, the majority of the party got severe runs, while the 3 of us had no problems whatsoever.
    Yeah but Costa Rica is hardly third world.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• malloc 14 Dec 2009 15:00:47 2,093 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Roughly 2 weeks, so not really long enough, that's why I'm asking, not sure I'll be out there for weeks and weeks or months at a time.
  • otto Moderator 14 Dec 2009 15:06:46 49,291 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've done quite a lot of travelling in third world countries over the years and the only times I've had food poisoning were down to relaxing my guard. Once was in Mexico City eating fish, this was in 1979, the fish had probably been caught in 1978; the other two times were in India and both times I stupidly had some dodgy reheated biryani in a restaurant that wasn't very busy. I'm usually quite adventurous about eating and trying new things but the golden rule is to go to busy places where there are lots of locals and there's a fast turnover (therefore freshly cooked food). Tourist hangouts are lethal unless they're very popular and full of people. Best bet = street food, preferably deep fried. \o/

I've had food poisoning more often in British pubs mind.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• phAge 14 Dec 2009 15:08:35 24,280 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    otto wrote:
    phAge wrote:

Yeah but Costa Rica is hardly third world.
    I don't think alien bacteria really care about national borders. :)

Fact is that if the bacteria in the food you eat is radically different from the bacteria in your stomach, you *will* have problems.
  • cianchristopher 14 Dec 2009 15:08:52 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    1979? How old are you?
  • otto Moderator 14 Dec 2009 15:09:27 49,291 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was only ten. :p

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• cianchristopher 14 Dec 2009 15:11:53 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh!

Everyone gets sick in Mexico though, don't they?

Mexico and India...
  • danathjo 14 Dec 2009 15:18:33 6,909 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    eat as a local, as soon as you start feeding on pizza/burgers and all the 'western type' food that's never done properly you're more bound to get sick
  • malloc 31 Jul 2012 20:13:11 2,093 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    copper and ginger apparently.
  • DaM 31 Jul 2012 20:56:18 12,600 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well done! After nearly three years, we have the answer!
  • malloc 31 Jul 2012 21:08:10 2,093 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    :)

it was worth the wait
  • THFourteen 1 Aug 2012 08:55:09 31,775 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LOL.

Good thread though. I can eat pretty much anything in England, but whenever i visit india i am ill almost as soon as i step off the plane.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next