Far Cry 3 Page 52

• Page

of 79 First / Last

• FuzzyDuck 12 Dec 2012 16:43:14 3,886 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    HurbleBurble wrote:
    Just rescued Ollie. Fuck me, your girlfriend is annoying.
    Yup, so much sob that (very end-game spoilery) I slit her throat when presented with the opportunity!
  • ModishNouns 12 Dec 2012 16:48:02 4,654 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So shortly after being forced through a non-lethal stealth mission you are forced to run and gun.

After a couple of air-bluing restarts, I really enjoyed the eventual successful run through Deepthroat, though.

After panicking and flapping through the initial run-n-gun bit I got a bit of clear air, bandaged up my arm, relocated my thumb and took a more considered approach to the cover shooting that followed and started to feel all ninja again. Then it all went pear-shaped when I was surrounded on the bridge and escaped by leaping off a cliff and wingsuiting all the way to the Jeep. It felt bloody cinematic in a spontaneous and organic way. Top marks, FC3.
  • Deleted user 12 December 2012 17:40:18
    Yahtzee review is up.
  • Deleted user 12 December 2012 18:08:52
    It's funny, up until now I've never had the chance to sit down and play it in anything more than short bursts. Spent this afternoon grinding my way along through story missions - Flamethrower and Cannabis fields = hilarious and having a grand old time.

It wasn't until I went down to make a brew however that two words popped in to my head:

Boiling Point.

Don't get me wrong, I adore FC3, it's a stunning achievement, but the depressingly bug ridden Boiling Point was trying to do this years ago, possibly with even more finesse as alliances were made on the fly and it was much more of a sandbox. The thing is, remembering that makes me appreciate quite how 'game-y' some of FC3's mechanics are. Sad but true.

Some wonderfully cute references to other games in this. The [Spoiler]Abstergo/AC[/Spoiler] one was rather obvious but I must admit I did enjoy the "Would you kindly..." Bioshock throw away line.

Edited by HurbleBurble at 18:09:49 12-12-2012
  • oldschoolsoviet 12 Dec 2012 18:29:00 5,457 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FUCK ME

That's the game I've been trying to remember for weeks !
  • Deleted user 12 December 2012 19:35:03
    Can't find a site to purchase Boiling Point from but here's the sequel:

Xenus 2: White Gold

Precursors - Boiling Point in spaaaaaaaaace
  • oldschoolsoviet 12 Dec 2012 21:14:17 5,457 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Precursors ?

/youtube

Why has nobody bought into this, and given it a big dev/budget level of polish ?! It might be Rage, G-Police, Colony Wars and 'generic FPS No73' rolled up into one, and bug-riddled to hell, but at least it's ambitious about it.

Cheers for the info HB.
  • monkehhh 12 Dec 2012 21:23:34 3,266 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My experience of Xenus / White Gold / Boiling Point 2 / whatever..

http://i40.tinypic.com/rmtiqp.png

http://i44.tinypic.com/2a85gfp.png
  • 1Dgaf 13 Dec 2012 12:40:22 3,788 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been doing missions for Buck, collecting things from underground. But when I look at my quest log it says I've only done two story missions.

Is Buck's stuff side quests?

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• smoothpete 13 Dec 2012 13:05:47 31,313 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No they are story missions. Maybe it all only counts as one.
  • Kuronos23 13 Dec 2012 13:07:37 133 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    'Story missions' in the stats screen just means side missions that have a story, as opposed to hunting or wanted missions. The blue !s.
  • Deleted user 13 December 2012 17:37:31
    When do the fucking credits end?! Been going on for twenty minutes, the only people not named are Hitler, Savile and Joseph Kony.
  • Cogsy666 13 Dec 2012 17:41:27 155 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    HurbleBurble wrote:
    When do the fucking credits end?! Been going on for twenty minutes, the only people not named are Hitler, Savile and Joseph Kony.
    I was the same then pressed start (playing on Xbox) and they went away finally.

Rock N Grohl

• Deleted user 14 December 2012 10:40:13
    Today I watched a boar being chased by a bear who was in turn being chased by two dogs.

Brought a smile to my face.
  • smoothpete 14 Dec 2012 11:06:48 31,313 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HurbleBurble wrote:
    haha, I meant to post about this. Seriously how many people worked on this game?? It's absurd! I sat through the whole thing in the hope that there was some additional cut scene or some kind of payoff, no such fucking luck
  • Vortex808 14 Dec 2012 11:12:26 6,933 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks for the tip pete, I'll try to skip it then. I always wait through the credits in case there's something extra at the end.

I may still be a way from finishing though. Just done Bucks stuff and given the knife to Citra. I expect the other island will open soon.

All the maps etc for it are still locked and I have done most of the stuff on the first one, so it can't be long. Just a few relics to collect to get to the achievement and then it's time to move on elsewhere and focus on the story more to get it done.

Are the co-op stuff any good? Do they add anything to it? I'm not sure I can be arsed with them just up my GS to the full 1k.
  • smoothpete 14 Dec 2012 11:16:12 31,313 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I always sit through the full credits when I finish a game, just out of habit, and out of respect I suppose. But after the first 10 minutes I just thought what the fuck am I doing, life is too short for this. I still sat through the rest of it because I'm a twat. It was almost a personal challenge at that point. I like to play a game of trying to spot a name that could not possibly be spelled in any other way. I am convinced that no such name exists.
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 14:05:35
    Can anyone confirm whether my game is broken? I've just ventured south for the first time as part of the main mission and I no longer have my weapons/munitions. I can't bring up the quick select wheel and I now have an additional golden waypoint to add to my woes.

I've tried going to a vendor to repurchase my items but it says I have my hardware as normal and when I try to take an enemy's gun I swap out but still can't pull a weapon.

Any advice? I was starting to get into it as well. I can still perform takedowns weirdly so I may just try and keep playing it hardcore style.

Poor show Ubisoft if it's indeed borked.

Edited by AdamAsunder at 14:06:56 14-12-2012
  • mcmothercruncher 14 Dec 2012 15:08:44 6,422 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does this go-where-you-like-do-what-you-want game ever stop fucking nagging you to go to the next story mission. It's REALLY irritating.
  • X201 14 Dec 2012 15:20:40 15,124 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just noticed that this is now available on Steam in the UK

sorry if already mentioned
  • Lotos8ter 14 Dec 2012 15:29:19 2,350 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @AdamAsunder IT ISN'T BORKED - thats the way it goes. Do the first mission or two and all will become clear...

/trust me

edit - you should get a mission to steal a privateer uniform and have to stealth a long way into an enemy base. Its the mission McMother was moaning about a few pages back. Once you've done it, you can go back to exploring and killing stuff and you get your weapons back

Edited by Lotos8ter at 15:32:12 14-12-2012

Fiat Lux

• kinky_mong 14 Dec 2012 15:35:17 9,941 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    HurbleBurble wrote:
    Ubisoft love their overlong credit rolls. I remember when I completed Ass Creed Revelations I hit the 5 minute mark and they were still rolling so I tried to skip them. Only option was to return to the main menu so I did that and went back into the file, and it started them from the beginning again. Twats.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• ubergine 14 Dec 2012 15:35:35 2,005 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This was my most anticipated game of the year and I don't think I'm going to finish it.

I fucking hate it.

I think the delay in the game was because they changed the story. The game has "our executive focus group says this will confuse the frat boys we want to buy it, so take out the big twist and just... paste in a dream sequence or something" all over it. Quite apart from every other fucked aspect of it, the concessions to pussies and the stunningly bad UI compared to FC2.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• quadfather 14 Dec 2012 15:40:50 11,808 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    Does this go-where-you-like-do-what-you-want game ever stop fucking nagging you to go to the next story mission. It's REALLY irritating.
    tell
    me
    about
    it

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• B0rked_Gamer 14 Dec 2012 15:50:27 2,480 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    This was my most anticipated game of the year and I don't think I'm going to finish it.

I fucking hate it.

I think the delay in the game was because they changed the story. The game has "our executive focus group says this will confuse the frat boys we want to buy it, so take out the big twist and just... paste in a dream sequence or something" all over it. Quite apart from every other fucked aspect of it, the concessions to pussies and the stunningly bad UI compared to FC2.
    Yeah I'm not going to bother finishing the story. I had some fun with Far Cry 3 taking over the outposts or whatever they are called but the story is complete arse. The main villain and the guy who appears on the actual box art doesn't feature that much in the game and the superpatriotic spy dude is a annoying prick. 10/10? Fuck off.
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 15:57:43
    @ubergine It still is a GotY contender for me, but the derisory story elements and exceptionally poor characterisation (bar Vass and David) are beyond contemptuous for the very reason you've stated.

There were so many other options they could have explored (i.e. Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now 'going native') and the wonderful Alice in Wonderland quotations speak of a desire to go further to playing with the character's mind but it never gets there. It all gets bogged down in a tiresome and dull mysticism.

Fuck it, even falling back on the almost hackneyed Nietsche quote would have been far more interesting in examining Jason's fall:

'He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.'

As I say in my review elsewhere in the site, I genuinely believe they chopped out a good portion of the game. E.G. When Willis shows you the map, there are three islands shown, the main, one to the SW and a smaller one to the SE.

The fact remains that after Vass' (so very, very badly done) death the game limps along in to a final third that I really struggled to care about. The 'big bad' is laughable, beyond contempt even. The second island is pointless to all intents - you do just end up fast travelling between missions and the ending is really just a matter of An insecure woman getting jealous for the sake of giving you a 'moral choice' Personally, I'd have murdered them all if I could..
  • 1Dgaf 14 Dec 2012 17:07:24 3,788 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm trying to get NPCs, human or animal, to kill tigers for me. Ended being chased by a tiger hoping it would peel off and attack the buffalo, dingos or cassowary that had somehow turned into a stampede around me.

EDIT

Later on a bear wandered into a camp I'd captured. Friendly NPCs started shooting at it, but I felt bad so shot an explosive barrel hoping it would run off. It didn't. It was quite sad seeing it just stand there getting shot.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 17:11:03 14-12-2012

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• mcmothercruncher 14 Dec 2012 20:25:16 6,422 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lotos8ter wrote:
    @AdamAsunder IT ISN'T BORKED - thats the way it goes. Do the first mission or two and all will become clear...

/trust me

edit - you should get a mission to steal a privateer uniform and have to stealth a long way into an enemy base. Its the mission McMother was moaning about a few pages back. Once you've done it, you can go back to exploring and killing stuff and you get your weapons back
    You've got the wrong guy Loto- you will be hearing from my solicitor.
  • Lotos8ter 14 Dec 2012 20:47:44 2,350 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher Sorry dude but I think about you all the time

edit - it was Modishnouns. Sorry, i wasn't very close was I

Edited by Lotos8ter at 20:48:32 14-12-2012

Fiat Lux

• MrWonderstuff 14 Dec 2012 22:31:07 1,922 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Must be the only one who has played and completed the game and enjoyed both the story and pretty much everything else. It was nice to have an open world to piss around in then pop back into the story whenever. Apart from the annoying pop-ups I got my monies worth and haven't even touched the co-op or multiplayer.
  • Page

of 79 First / Last