Far Cry 3 Page 49

• Page

of 79 First / Last

• monkehhh 9 Dec 2012 15:48:21 3,504 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Think I've crafted special versions of all the stuff now with hunter challenge items. I really need to go burn some drugs cos everytime I complete any other mission / challenge / whatever, Jason decides to repeat his "maybe Dennis knows" and then rings him up. Heard the same conversation about 15 times.
  • repairmanjack 9 Dec 2012 17:31:36 6,078 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Into the second island now and I'm delighted to see some new weapons unlocking. I still think I prefer 2, mainly because of the quasi-mystical bollocks they've shoe-horned into this.

Rolled my eyes in disbelief at that fucking boss battle.

And I share the animosity towards the lead's friends. No one I would actually want to see saved. Plus, do I really need to play as a guy who says "eww!" when skinning an animal?

Gripes aside, this is probably still inching GotY for me. The world itself is beautifully realised.
  • spamdangled 9 Dec 2012 17:39:05 27,441 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If they'd ignored all the mumbo jumbo and focussed on the descent into madness it would have been a far more interesting story. Hell, they could have just ejected the whole saving friends concept altogether too.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Pumpatron 9 Dec 2012 18:13:25 388 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've played for almost 20 hours now and I'm still on the first island. Mission wise I've just burnt the cannabis fields

I'm guessing it won't be long until the second island now.

I've taken to leaving the outposts while I hunt for relics and lost letters etc, it makes exploring much more exciting. Then once I've found all the stuff in the area I take the outpost.
  • 1Dgaf 9 Dec 2012 19:17:26 3,975 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A shark made me jump.

Are the outposts ever taken back?

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• oldschoolsoviet 9 Dec 2012 19:21:18 5,549 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nope.
  • Vortex808 9 Dec 2012 19:23:35 7,580 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The random wildlife attacks are great. Especially if they help clear a base.

Crocs are shitbags though. I very nearly shat myself the first time one of those made it's presence known. :)

Such a great game, and who needs a story with the large playground they have for exploring etc.

Bases don't seem to get taken back, which is a bit of a shame. I would like a few more random fights/meetings with patrols.

I know fc2's instant re-spawns were annoying, but this seems to have gone a bit too far t'other way.
  • Yossarian 9 Dec 2012 20:43:18 8,411 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It doesn't have FC2's guts, or its soul.
  • Deleted user 9 December 2012 21:26:31
    Yossarian wrote:
    I agree with that, far more gamey, it's lost some of what made 2 special.
  • monkehhh 9 Dec 2012 21:33:52 3,504 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    2 felt dangerous all the time to me, though I didn't finish it. I can see myself finishing 3, though it's gone too far the other way, I guess they took note of the marmite discussions around 2. Interested to see how much they patch of this one.
  • Lyserberg 9 Dec 2012 22:36:20 349 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I feel like i'm a total jerk not playing this game yet, if only my f***ing PC can arrive early so i can play this bad boy in the most ultimate graphics possible.
    I feel like a lost child in this topic... :(

La cerise sur le g‚teau!

• NOSAVIOUR 9 Dec 2012 22:47:25 2,810 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This pisses all over 2. That game frustrated the life out of me, 20 hrs in and still I'm the first island I'm loving it more with every play. I lov the fact that the outposts don't get taken back, I don't want to keep fighting the same endless battles and have no sense of progression. Th only the I woul lov is campaign coop or at least the ability to hunt together in an open world. There's some great coop challenges that I'd like to be easily accessible too.
  • FogHeart 9 Dec 2012 23:43:26 988 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yossarian wrote:
    -Take FC2's environment, atmosphere, music, and map.
    -Add FC3's wildlife, territorial control, sidequests, minigames(!), skills, crafting, collectables, guns and bows...but lose the message spam.

There, I couldn't imagine a better single player FPS. (except HL3, heheh)

It's funny, both games are frustratingly short of perfection for utterly different reasons, both of which could have been avoided.
  • Pumpatron 9 Dec 2012 23:56:19 388 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Iím loving FC3. But it is far more gamey and has lost some of what made FC2 feel unique.

In FC2, although the respawning outpost were badly done, they did give the game a thick oppressive atmosphere, something that is missing a little bit from from FC3 (but you can get that sense of danger by leaving the outposts alone while you explore etc)

And while FC3 is more gamey, its also a better game (so far). The combat and gunplay is much better, the stealth is better, the skills and take-down moves are great, the animals are far better in FC3, there's just more to the game. I do miss the map and minimal hud from FC2 though.

So basically what FogHeart said. :)

Edited by Pumpatron at 23:58:17 09-12-2012
  • Phattso Moderator 10 Dec 2012 03:42:13 13,924 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's strange. I didn't hate FC2, but I found it massively frustrating at times. Unless I dedicated huge chunks of my gaming time to getting immersed, it was a shite experience. Not something you could dip into and out of.

In FC3 I know I can fire it up, run in any direction, and I'm going to be entertained. I think it has a soul all of its own. For sure it is a lot easier, but it's also a lot easier to love.

Given the choice, I'd choose fun over atmosphere in this case. I think there is a finer balance to strike, but I'm glad that in trying to find it they went more towards fun and less towards oppressive atmosphere. At times this almost feels like Just Cause 2 (but with decent shooting and driving and missions and a more vibrant world).

I think the best way to describe it is how I was playing FC3 yesterday. I was making my way towards a radio tower and I stumbled upon a large 8-man patrol. Fisticuffs and gunfights ensued over ten minutes or so, and it was one of the best encounters I've had in the game yet. When it was over, I carried on my merry way with a smile on my face.

The same encounter in FC2 would have me gritting my teeth and cursing as, yet again, my progress was stymied by a fucking respawn.

Same encounter, radically different responses. Thankfully FC2 still exists, so those wanting to dive in still can. But I'll take FC3 any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

The abject gamification of the inventory system is an inspired choice, too. Without it the animals would've been largely ignored, but now I find myself scanning the horizon looking for herds or packs so I can upgrade my wallet. Ditto the skills tree, with the XP feeding directly into that so I'm more likely to clear out bandit camps and wotnot.
  • FWB 10 Dec 2012 07:26:19 45,580 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Right. Sounds like I'll be giving this a go. Sounds exactly what needed to be done to FC2 to turn it from a chore into a fun experience.
  • Maturin 10 Dec 2012 07:49:58 3,231 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    One of the big problems in FC2 was lack of freedom. Much of the map features unreachable high ground which cut the map into corridors.
  • FWB 10 Dec 2012 07:54:12 45,580 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aye. Fed into my problems with the respawning blockades which were no longer fun after the 18 billionth time.
  • jamievilla 10 Dec 2012 09:13:53 596 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:

Crocs are shitbags though. I very nearly shat myself the first time one of those made it's presence known. :)

This. I probably fucking yelled when one attacked me after I jumped off a ridiculously high waterfall on a jetski, was jittery for a good while afterwards. God knows how I'll get on with sharks.

Would anyone recommend me trying Far Cry 2 after loving this? Or wouldn't it work going back the other way?
  • NOSAVIOUR 10 Dec 2012 09:24:36 2,810 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm a actually scared of entering deep water in this game because of the sharks, but I want to explore the ocean depths. Have found a few relics in caves and shipwrecks and the atmosphere is amazing. Any idea where the manta rays are?
  • ModishNouns 10 Dec 2012 09:28:39 4,664 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've decided to leave the outposts and do all the towers on the second island and picking my way through hostile territory is all kinds of awesome.
  • Stranded87 10 Dec 2012 09:39:37 1,004 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @jamievilla They're different enough that it won't necessarily feel like going backwards...but they're also different enough that liking this doesn't guarantee you'll like the first one, I'd say give it a go though, it must be pretty cheap by this point and it's a good game.
  • 1Dgaf 10 Dec 2012 09:43:59 3,975 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The main problem with FC2, at least on console, is that the controls are sluggish. Even with sensitivity turn to high, you're going to turn slowly and the acceleration on them feels isn't done properly.

If you can put up with that, you've got a chance at liking it. Even when you're not dealing with constantly spawning guards, you'll be living with the controls.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• Vortex808 10 Dec 2012 10:03:25 7,580 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    NOSAVIOUR wrote:
    I'm a actually scared of entering deep water in this game because of the sharks, but I want to explore the ocean depths. Have found a few relics in caves and shipwrecks and the atmosphere is amazing. Any idea where the manta rays are?
    I've seen a few towards the start of the game, probably up at the island(s) around the doctors house but left them alone since I don't think you can skin them, or at least there was no need to. They look pretty cool swimming about.

I have to say I agree about the 'gamey'-ness of this. Far too many numbers and other shit popping up on screen. FC2 was far better in that respect. FC2 had a far better atmosphere and feeling of immersion than this, I must say.

I also tried a few more story missions to release more skills, but that didn't help at all either. My previously stealthy, quiet assassin guy who had visited most of the towers on the island and liberated many camps suddenly turned into a shouty, wishy-washy knob-end. I guess you're supposed to do those missions near the start...
  • smoothpete 10 Dec 2012 10:06:53 31,826 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    NOSAVIOUR wrote:
    I had no idea there are shipwrecks! Is there any indication on how to find them? Other than to look up the coordinates online I mean
  • magicpanda 10 Dec 2012 10:09:22 13,474 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Buy the loot maps Pete. Any Relics/Chests in open water are usually wrecks.

There are a few you can only get at with the deepdive syringe.
  • Vortex808 10 Dec 2012 10:10:43 7,580 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    NOSAVIOUR wrote:
    I had no idea there are shipwrecks! Is there any indication on how to find them? Other than to look up the coordinates online I mean
    There are usually buoys above them marking them.

And sharks lurking below the buoys

Often there are masts etc sticking out of the water if it's shallow enough too. Also, if you buy the item maps, any relics will be marked out in the water for you.

edit: too slow again.

Edited by Vortex808 at 10:11:40 10-12-2012
  • smoothpete 10 Dec 2012 10:29:28 31,826 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cool, cheers guys. I have been trying to avoid the loot maps. I've have a look around for the buoys.
  • smoothpete 10 Dec 2012 10:31:06 31,826 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can you use C4 or mines like a depth charge I wonder?
  • Deleted user 10 December 2012 10:36:10
    I'm on the mission were you rescue Oliver while sniping. They don't let you use your own sniper rifle, no, you have to use the shitty one provided. Fucked it up twice now.
  • Page

of 79 First / Last