• Page

of 79 First / Last

• neems 5 Dec 2012 21:45:31 1,147 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Big_G wrote:
    I thought the handbook entries were suggested to have been written by Dennis?
    Erm, which one is that?

(Spoilers to be safe!)
    Guy that pulls you from the water at the beginning and gives you the tattoo. It's not him though, unless he's a fan of writing in the third person.
    Nope, not him. Wilson, I think his name is.
  • 1Dgaf 5 Dec 2012 21:50:51 3,788 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If they're by Dennis, then he speaks like a crackpot new-ager and writes like Frank Carson.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• spamdangled 5 Dec 2012 22:04:15 27,269 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    neems wrote:
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Big_G wrote:
    I thought the handbook entries were suggested to have been written by Dennis?
    Erm, which one is that?

(Spoilers to be safe!)
    Guy that pulls you from the water at the beginning and gives you the tattoo. It's not him though, unless he's a fan of writing in the third person.
    Nope, not him. Wilson, I think his name is.
    Thats the guy I was thinking of. It makes the most sense, though it obviously throws up the question of why you would have intel from him long before meeting him.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• oldschoolsoviet 5 Dec 2012 22:16:34 5,457 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And are those two still in here moaning? I applaud their stamina if not their priorities.

Just ignore them mate. I picture those two old gits on the muppets when I read their 'opinions'
    Fuck me, when did EG get so sensitive ? Choose to ignore the naysayers, omit the posts from your gaze, whatever it takes. FC3 is a marmite game just like it's predecessor. But negative opinions eh ? PITCHFORKS !
  • spamdangled 5 Dec 2012 22:21:13 27,269 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @oldschoolsoviet

Once more with feeling: it's not that you're criticising in the first place, it's the one-note way in which people can go about it that annoys others. It becomes a case of "ffs change the bloody record".

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Suarez07 5 Dec 2012 22:29:55 10 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Game is great , but tbh, it definitely has faults too. Still doesn't ruin the fun IMO, but have had moments where I've questioned their design choices.
  • oldschoolsoviet 5 Dec 2012 22:39:31 5,457 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Again, that's their problem. Ignore button is right there if necessary. Instead, it's more fun to hound and insult.

God forbid someone's enjoyment of a game is tarnished due to reading a few forum posts.
  • graysonavich 5 Dec 2012 22:43:57 7,309 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hold E to loot this body. NO I DON'T WANT YOUR FUCKING SHIT PISTOL THAT'S ON THE FLOOR FUCK OFF

Oh, $4.

Repeat.
  • spamdangled 5 Dec 2012 22:44:31 27,269 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's not a case of hampering someone's enjoyment of the game, it's more about interrupting the flow of a thread with sudden derails into abject, often hyperbolic negativity every five minutes.

• Yossarian 5 Dec 2012 22:46:42 8,401 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    Unless they introduce a character to justify it, the tone of voice for handbook entries is very fucking weird and inappropriate for the setting. Jokes about mothers-in-law, ex-wives and even a John McCain one.

Sarky info made sense in Assassin's Creed because there was a sarcastic guy that wrote entries for the animus. His character justified it.
    You meet the character who writes it. Quite early on.
  • oldschoolsoviet 5 Dec 2012 23:09:33 5,457 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    It's not a case of hampering someone's enjoyment of the game, it's more about interrupting the flow of a thread with sudden derails into abject, often hyperbolic negativity every five minutes.
    Rather than gushing, oh-it's-so-amazing, hailed as the Second Coming, praise every 5 seconds ? That's all I'm "interrupting", besides yet another tiger story.

What happened to discussion, opinions.....ahh. I forgot. You're not allowed opinions on here, unless they kowtow with the crowd. Shoehorning a open-world FPS into the AC template doesn't sit well with me. Those who enjoyed the immersion and detail in FC2 might well feel the same.
  • welshben23 5 Dec 2012 23:14:12 1,072 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Rather than gushing, oh-it's-so-amazing, hailed as the Second Coming, praise every 5 seconds ? That's all I'm "interrupting", besides yet another tiger story.

What happened to discussion, opinions.....ahh. I forgot. You're not allowed opinions on here, unless they kowtow with the crowd. Shoehorning a open-world FPS into the AC template doesn't sit well with me. Those who enjoyed the immersion and detail in FC2 might well feel the same.
    But compared to this game FC2 was a big, steaming lump of shite.
  • oldschoolsoviet 5 Dec 2012 23:18:05 5,457 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ^

:D
  • spamdangled 5 Dec 2012 23:27:31 27,269 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:

More hyperbole.

Go back and actually read the last dozen pages. Far from being non-stop gushing praise, there is plenty of considered criticism as well. People are balancing what they like against what they don't like, or design choices they find a bit odd for various reasons. That's called Balance. Just because you come from one extreme doesn't mean everything else is on the other extreme.

And that's about as far as my patience goes as this is like talking to a brick wall.

Edited by darkmorgado at 23:29:46 05-12-2012

• oldschoolsoviet 6 Dec 2012 00:30:34 5,457 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why'd you talk to me in the first place ? That's what started it all ! Some folk just can't let a good rant pass by.
  • spamdangled 6 Dec 2012 00:39:03 27,269 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I spoke to you in order to try and engage you constructively rather than leave you sniping from the sidelines.

In retrospect, I was perhaps being naive.

• oldschoolsoviet 6 Dec 2012 01:48:43 5,457 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Naive to think that you engaged me constructively with this:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    He's spend the last 10 pages whining about the game. He's fucking dull. We get it, he doesn't like it. Go play something else, nobody wants to read the some fucker complaining for seven days on end.
    For me, the way he and ghostwhistler endlessly moan about the same games and then back each other up makes me think there are shenanigans afoot.
    Yes, dm, I'm the one sniping. I'll leave it here, as I already know you'll need to reply to get the last word. I'm off to enjoy Dishonored.

ED: Oh, and the obligatory thank fuck post from Deckard. I cannae wait.

Edited by oldschoolsoviet at 01:51:20 06-12-2012
  • ubergine 6 Dec 2012 06:43:15 1,999 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There's a lot I don't like about the gameplay/systems, but the main thing I hate is the player-character's trembly voice. Apart from sounding very forced from an actin perspective, it's totally incongruous to what's happening in the game. In Far Cry 2 I could play as a gunplay veteran - because I am a (gameplay) gunplay veteran. In Far Cry 3 Jason is all "oh my god! I fired a handgun!" after I've just used him to firebomb a pirate village and gun down a thousand redshirts innocently hiking around.

I accepted some kind of side mission from some random guy while I was in voice chat, and discovered another dumb bit of design - the game has no quest management. You are either being pestered by the game with story-quest prompts you can't turn off, or you have a side quest that doesn't necessary prompt you so there's no way to know what it is. There's no option in menus to see what your active quest is, so if there's no objective marker you are stuffed. There IS a menu option to "Abandon Quest" but nothing to say what it is. Dumb.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• Gambit1977 6 Dec 2012 08:15:04 9,583 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Remember the first time we saw FC3? The bad guys all spilled XP numbers from their heads when shot, and the game was about an island full of nutters :D
  • quadfather 6 Dec 2012 08:19:02 11,798 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    There's a lot I don't like about the gameplay/systems, but the main thing I hate is the player-character's trembly voice. Apart from sounding very forced from an actin perspective, it's totally incongruous to what's happening in the game. In Far Cry 2 I could play as a gunplay veteran - because I am a (gameplay) gunplay veteran. In Far Cry 3 Jason is all "oh my god! I fired a handgun!" after I've just used him to firebomb a pirate village and gun down a thousand redshirts innocently hiking around.

I accepted some kind of side mission from some random guy while I was in voice chat, and discovered another dumb bit of design - the game has no quest management. You are either being pestered by the game with story-quest prompts you can't turn off, or you have a side quest that doesn't necessary prompt you so there's no way to know what it is. There's no option in menus to see what your active quest is, so if there's no objective marker you are stuffed. There IS a menu option to "Abandon Quest" but nothing to say what it is. Dumb.
    Hehe yeah, I was thinking this, the guy sounds like a child and grates a bit. Wish he'd be quiet tbh. Fun game though but still finding it too easy so far

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• ComradePete 6 Dec 2012 08:24:48 474 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ghostwhistler wrote:
    If you fail, you have to try again. That's bad game desgin.
    o_O
  • Deleted user 6 December 2012 08:26:14
    I'm open minded to other peoples opinions, of course, I wouldn't be on this forum if that wasn't the case, but I can't fathom how anyone can say this game is bad. It's a sequel that improves on the original and is fun. There is nothing broken in terms of general gameplay, but of course it has niggles. It's not perfect but no game is.
  • Deleted user 6 December 2012 08:28:11
    If you mess up you have to try again? That's not bad game design, that's every game EVER.

Edited by Fantomex at 08:29:18 06-12-2012

Edited by Fantomex at 08:29:43 06-12-2012
  • quadfather 6 Dec 2012 08:38:15 11,798 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ComradePete wrote:
    ghostwhistler wrote:
    o_O
    Heh, I've got the odd issue with the game, but I can't fathom this statement. Ever played a souls game? :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• LeoliansBro 6 Dec 2012 08:48:54 43,107 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    Hold E to loot this body. NO I DON'T WANT YOUR FUCKING SHIT PISTOL THAT'S ON THE FLOOR FUCK OFF

Oh, $4.

Repeat.
    You must love how much like WoW it is ;)

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• ModishNouns 6 Dec 2012 08:49:26 4,654 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I quite like the "Mash" prompt. Struck me as refreshingly knowing and ironic. The game takes itself far less seriously than FC2. I don't know if I'd say it's better for it but it's certainly no worse.
  • LeoliansBro 6 Dec 2012 08:50:19 43,107 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ghostwhistler wrote:

This describes the game design of literally every game available apart from XCOM ;)

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• ubergine 6 Dec 2012 09:17:57 1,999 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mini Review: "Human Slavery 90210"

Unfortunately there's a great deal of aggravating design chaff getting in my eyes between the parts of the game that are actually good. So much of it is "hey! You're playing a game! Don't dare forget it!" I think a lot of it could be fixed with a patch.

Here's what I'd patch:

Something in the pause menu to tell you what quest you are on.

Option to minimise the HUD, eg no messages, no minimap.

Option to make those transparent outlines of enemies invisible through solid objects. Why does tagging an enemy give me magic x-ray vision?
    -Alternatively, option to turn tagging off. I can't aim at an enemy without tagging them so can't simply avoid magic x-ray vision.

I'm a bit baffled by the day-night cycle. It appears to be blindingly bright midday all the time, but occasionally it isn't. Not sure that is working correctly, but a watch would be nice.

A "hardcore mode" for the people who, like me, thought Far Cry 2 was perfectly pitched. I find it idiot that an enemy can stare straight at me, crouched or not, from feet away and not see me, or need to see me for several seconds to fill a bar to see me. Ridiculous.

An option to make those stupid "can they see you yet?" bars disappear. You know what tells me an enemy can see me? THEY SHOOT AT ME.

I like the spirit of a lot of what they've tried to do with the scope of the game and especially improving the storytelling aspect (eg motion capture/acting) though I personally preferred Far Cry 2's story (if not the ending and the uniformly fast delivery) but from moment to moment the game seems full of concessions to the pissants who couldn't cope with Far Cry 2's brilliant stab at greater realism instead of having the systems be a series of minigames cobbled together.

Sadly it seems that every aspect of the game which is fantastic also has a horrible balancing issue:

Variety of animals is fantastic. A tiger's head being a bullet-sponge is ridiculous. Needing certain pelts to make certain equipment is fun, as mini-games go, but is also ridiculous and "gamey". I'd have prefered some asshole disabled-taxidermist Tom Nook character who demands certain pelts in exchange for certain equipment, and his house gradually fills with the stuffed animals you've brought him.

Variety of enemies is (so far) pathetic. Guys in red shirts. Some slightly different guys in red shirts are starting to appear, but they are all uniformly easy to drop on the hardest difficulty. I would say that I enjoy sneaking up on them, but even that is horribly compromised because they always all face the same direction, so it's like shooting fish in a barrel. I've yet to come across an area as difficult, variable and interestingly designed as even the basic areas in Far Cry 2. I can only hope this changes as I progress further into the game, however FC2 had great areas from the very beginning.

I'm liking the cut-scenes but I'm not sure they are part of anything except some cool lines for the game's trailers, it doesn't seem to be going anywhere cohesive. Nor does it seem particularly "insane" or mysterious, it's just some Human Slavery 90210 storyline so far, which is a serious disparity of tone.

I haven't had a game shit me as much since Dragon Age Origins, which probably means I'll still be re-playing this in five years time (just re-bought Origins the other day because I'm sure I can get a female Dalish Elf character to marry that poncy king THIS time.)

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• warlockuk 6 Dec 2012 09:21:52 19,129 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cool story, bro.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Page

of 79 First / Last