Fondest gaming memories? Page 4

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• Feanor 20 Nov 2009 18:36:52 14,063 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Finally getting a gold medal on the third Protoype track in Wipeout 3 on Phantom.
  • Toonster 20 Nov 2009 18:44:08 6,835 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Waking up my brother so I could make him watch me face the final boss in Yoshi's Story. I was so damn proud.

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• PhoenixFlames 20 Nov 2009 18:49:27 8,899 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Warhawk - those moments where the entire battle is so frantic in a small area of a big map, tanks shelling, warhawks dropping bombs and exploding in flaming fragments in the sky, people dying everywhere, all sorts of shit with people trying to cap a spawn... then the dust settles, and you're left standing, the flag is your teams colour and you have 1 square of health left. I have to say, its the best online game I've played. Please Spacehawk, be a sequel, be awesome.

I can't say I've played a huge amount online but I've never had an experience like that.

Perhaps I don't have the right games, perhaps I don't have enough game time, perhaps I don't have enough friends.

Help me EG, give me some online awesomeness!

PSN - phoenix1flames

• FWB 20 Nov 2009 18:52:44 43,865 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Recently: Men of War: Russian train depot defence (although all the maps are great). Utter chaos. A thousand stories unfolding before my very eyes. If you haven't played it then you are really missing out. Can't really describe it in words. Truly epic gaming. My heart went out to everyone of those polygons of mine fighting for their lives. Each with a name. Each trying to do his ickle best to stop the Nazi onslaught.
  • tenofspades 20 Nov 2009 19:56:51 1,693 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    drinking cappucinos and playing Final Fantasy. The caffiene gave that kick like 'woah'
  • sanctusmortis 20 Nov 2009 20:44:17 9,627 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finishing the first Halo on Legendary on my own for the first time, and feeling the relief as the titles rolled.

That sad, sad OoT ending.

The MW MP beta, back when playing it wasn't a painful and dreary existence.

Doing Endless Setlist for the first time, without pauses.
  • Widge Moderator 20 Nov 2009 20:49:46 13,268 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Widge wrote:
    Warhawk - those moments where the entire battle is so frantic in a small area of a big map, tanks shelling, warhawks dropping bombs and exploding in flaming fragments in the sky, people dying everywhere, all sorts of shit with people trying to cap a spawn... then the dust settles, and you're left standing, the flag is your teams colour and you have 1 square of health left. I have to say, its the best online game I've played. Please Spacehawk, be a sequel, be awesome.

I can't say I've played a huge amount online but I've never had an experience like that.

Perhaps I don't have the right games, perhaps I don't have enough game time, perhaps I don't have enough friends.

Help me EG, give me some online awesomeness!

Online in general?

I think my timeline of "online goodness" goes:

Halo 2
    Day Of Defeat:Source
    Warhawk
    Killzone 2
    Demon's Souls

and thats pretty much all I have enjoyed! I should play Motorstorm online at some point because racing vs humans has got to be good.

But yeah, my games are mainly SP or have an unplayed MP segment.

I tend to try and steer away from MP now as too many games to play. Warhawk soaked up months of my life, all other games sat unused.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• PinkSpider 20 Nov 2009 20:55:51 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Counter Strike 1.6 Warcraft mod. Being incredibly drunk as Orcs (they had double grenade damage and if you ran in, got killed and dropped the grenade then it killed loads of people) and creating a clan called Suicide which is now fairly big and still alive I think.

The clan was just for fun originally to show we where all odd but it's turned into more.

I still tag up on every game I play despite never really being that active.
  • Timmy 20 Nov 2009 20:57:41 9,031 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Skies of Arcadia- Stealing the Delphinus and the first time I heard the words "MOONSTONE CANNON FIRE!!!"
  • PazJohnMitch 20 Nov 2009 21:01:19 7,830 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pretty much all of Skies of Arcadia and Ocarina of Time have special places for me.
  • Dazimus 20 Nov 2009 21:02:40 591 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Playing Goldeneye on multiplayer.

Playing Civilization 1.

Playing Championship Manager with a friend where we both battled for the league for seasons.

Playing SWOS one afternoon, a group of us played a league with some CPU teams thrown in. One of our friends chose AC Milan, his match was against Wolves (who we picked as an easy team to beat) ... he got beat 6-1 with Don Goodman scoring a hatful.
  • Unofficial 21 Nov 2009 18:51:31 10 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My own list

- Empire Strikes Back (Spectrum 48k). Being snowed in..school closed...so ran upstairs and played this instead. Great game for the speccy. The AT-AT section was really well realised. I loved my Spectrum...pure mid 80s gaming bliss. Buying 1.99 games with my pocket money....

IK+ (C64). Just fantastic, smooth gameplay. Incredibly addictive. Played this time and time again.

- Cartoon Classics Pack (Amiga). Lemmings, Bart Vs the Space Mutants, Captain Planet and Deluxe Paint 3. Not the most amazing line-up but I got my Amiga for Christmas and I have great memories of seeing these games for the first time. Quite a step up from the C64!

- Monkey Island 2 (Amiga). When the music kicked in for the title screen, it completely bowled me over...the whole game was leagues apart from anything I'd played before. Really good humour in the game too.

- Mortal Kombat 2 (SNES). Amazing graphics, amazing speech, playing on a new SNES, lots of depth to the game too. Just a great time to own a SNES.

- F-Zero (SNES). My first look at Mode-7. Playing Big Blue over and over for the music.

- Half Life (PC). Great single player game...some epic moments that made the game feel really cinematic at times. Amazing multiplayer and mod support too (counterstrike beta!). Played endless mods and maps, and created my own. Pretty much the game that enabled me to get into the games industry as a profession.

- Tekken (PS1). Got my PlayStation for Xmas when it first came out...traded in my SNES and 10 games for 100 off I think! My first game was Tekken. "Just like having an arcade at home!!!11" Again, worlds apart from anything that had come before it.

- Tomb Raider (PS1). Got it the day it came out, but actually I wasnt all that sure what to expect. It completely blew away my expectations. Exploring those snowy caves in the early levels. Incredible music...amazing, tense, atmosphere. And full 3D environments!

• Mekanik 21 Nov 2009 19:12:08 3,442 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    Finishing the first Halo on Legendary on my own for the first time, and feeling the relief as the titles rolled.

Hah. That reminds me. One of the most satisfying games i`ve completed is halo on legendary :)
  • GrandpaUlrira 21 Nov 2009 19:12:59 3,753 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    - Lylat Wars (N64). Area 6 for that first time, coming into Venom, that feeling that the entire fleet couldn't stop the squadron.
    - Blast Corps (N64). Getting all the platinum medals when I should have been revising for my A Levels.
    - Pilotwings 64 (N64). Playing the Japanese version on a Japanese N64, trying to work out what the hell we were supposed to do.
    - Perfect Dark (N64). Trying to do the Combat Challenges with my brothers.
    - Ocarina of Time (N64). All of it, but especially the first time you step out of the Temple of Time when an adult. Just an incredible moment.
    - Super Bomberman (SNES). Many, many multiplayer sessions.
    - Metroid Prime (GC). The majesty of Phendrana Drifts, again, and that first moment when the Metroids turn up, which was somehow a surprise, despite the name of the game.
  • GrandpaUlrira 21 Nov 2009 19:14:17 3,753 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh god, and of course discovering a copy of the US Link's Awakening on the shelf, and taking it home, and following that story as it unfolded so perfectly.
  • thenastypasty 21 Nov 2009 19:25:56 5,180 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A couple of mine

Playing Harrier Attack on the CPC 464 with a friend with me flying the plane and him dropping the bombs.Also playing Bruce Lee on the C64 with the same mate.

More recently(yesterday actually)playing L4D2 with fellow Eurogamers we were playing VS game,we got to the final level on Dead Center,when we got to the bottom of the lift the doors opened and out of no where a Charger steamed in smashed us all over the place,while we where all on the floor a spitter attacked us,it was chaos and just made me laugh.

• SG 21 Nov 2009 19:59:23 1,885 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    GrandpaUlrira wrote:
    - Lylat Wars (N64). Area 6 for that first time, coming into Venom, that feeling that the entire fleet couldn't stop the squadron.
    This. The terror in the commander's voice and the other guy as they chatter over the radio. At every bit that we broke through every defence. And then you come up across that energy beam boss and that epic music kicks in.

And being really fucking good at the game helped when you kept narrowly missing things, racking up 400+ points on the level with multi hit points and rapid fire button hammering to bring down those spinny things with spikes coming out top and bottom then narrowly avoiding all sorts of shit really got the adrenalin going.

GrandpaUlrira wrote:
    - Ocarina of Time (N64). All of it, but especially the first time you step out of the Temple of Time when an adult. Just an incredible moment.
    Hated it. The beautiful, vibrant market place had gone and was replaced with ReDeads. :(

If only it had been restored after the game. :'(
  • SG 21 Nov 2009 20:00:53 1,885 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    thenastypasty wrote:
    More recently(yesterday actually)

Um.... this is about fond memories. It's more about nostalgia...

:/
  • Binny 21 Nov 2009 20:07:21 187 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Battle mode - Mario Kart SNES

Finding the master sword in a link to a past

Pole position on the Atari 2600. First game I played with my pa.

Stripper running on to the pitch & also being able to chase the ref in a game called Glory, glory - Can't remember which system it was, think it may of been the Amiga 500/ 600.

Super Mario world. Loved Yoshi - what a cool little dude he is.

The music from F-zero.

DKC gameplay, graphics & music.

Super Mario galaxy.

Moody look, sound & feel of super Metroid.

Aladdin , Goof troop, Super proboterctor, Illusion of time (brilliant game), Street fighter II, ISS, Super star wars, Zombies, Star wing, Actraiser etc etc. To be honest most SNES games I played at that time I have fond memories of.

Playing my SNES with my bro on the larger TV downstairs & then my dad finding us & telling us off for some reason!

My best memory has got to be the times I'd save for months & months with my bro to buy just the one game (@59.99) & then play it death because you had no other. No real trading scheme in them day's, just swapping games with your buddies & making do with what you had.
  • Widge Moderator 21 Nov 2009 20:11:26 13,268 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh god, what about stepping into a Star Wars cabinet for the first time?

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• skuzzbag 22 Nov 2009 00:10:33 5,637 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Right on commander!
  • guts 22 Nov 2009 00:41:39 1,690 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My brother bought a snes when he started working (a few years ago now), and that Christmas our parents bought him supermario bros. We stayed up all night and played it solid untill we completed it. The only break we took was to go down the 24 hr petrol station to buy fags at about half past three in the morning. We took it turns, using the traditional life or level system.
    I also love the cinematic bit in Gears Of War 2 when that chap shoots his wife as Dom is walking off. It (nearly) brought a tear to my eye.

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• HeartlessGR 22 Nov 2009 11:00:41 5 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nice thread! So let's see....

First one gotta be FF7 of course. I'll never forget the gaming experience this gem provided me with. Well, firstly i was 10 years old back then and it was my fiirst RPG, so i can't really describe how much i used to suck at it. It took me like 3 months to finish and i played every day, but strangely that's one of the good memories.
    Then there was no internet back then, or well i didn't use it, thus nothing was spoiled, no guides were used, no scrutinizing reviews, no flaming wars, no high end TV's. It was pure fun back then.

Then it's FF8. Lol i know i'm gonna be laughed at for that, but i really liked a girl back then and the whole Squall/Rinoa thingy touched me.

Hmmm Metal Gear Solid was fantastic too, i loved it.

Then, it's gotta be Dragon Quest 8. I just randomly picked it up at a pretty screwed up period of my life (was my first game in 3 or 4 years then), when i used to hang out with the wrong people and do wrong stuff that would eventually damage me, and it helped me put myself together and change pace (well it wasn't just the game but every tiny bit helps). It somehow reminded me the innocence of my true self or something. Well it's strange, anyway you get the picture lol.

Finally the first 8 months or so of playing WoW were amazing. Being a n00b is fun ;p Then eventually the game lost it's appeal to me so i quit.
  • Zidargh 22 Nov 2009 11:25:22 1,669 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Has anyone played FF7 again lately? Ive got it on PSX, but am tempted to buy it on PSN. I am just wondering if it will spoil the memories I had.
  • Deleted user 22 November 2009 11:31:45
    Played it (FFVII) recently on the PSP through the PSN store and it is even better than before. I now understand the story a lot more and the fact that all the characters and charm are as impressive as ever means it really wasn't a case of rose tinted spectacles. This really is the best game ever made. Definitely go for it!
  • GrandpaUlrira 22 Nov 2009 11:31:59 3,753 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SG wrote:
    GrandpaUlrira wrote:
    This. The terror in the commander's voice and the other guy as they chatter over the radio. At every bit that we broke through every defence. And then you come up across that energy beam boss and that epic music kicks in.

And being really fucking good at the game helped when you kept narrowly missing things, racking up 400+ points on the level with multi hit points and rapid fire button hammering to bring down those spinny things with spikes coming out top and bottom then narrowly avoiding all sorts of shit really got the adrenalin going.
    My friend and I both tried to get all the golds on the Expert difficulty, but curiously while he was great at levels which required hammering the shoot button (like Area 6), I was much better at the ones like Solar where a certain efficiency was required with the charge shots, especially with respect to hitting a lot of enemies with one shot. So in the end, we helped each other out with the final few levels that proved to be our weaknesses. I never did get bloody Sector Z though. It was a ridiculously small number, if I recall, like 100, but that was what made it so difficult to get, because there weren't a lot of enemies.
  • Zidargh 22 Nov 2009 11:55:12 1,669 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Played it (FFVII) recently on the PSP through the PSN store and it is even better than before. I now understand the story a lot more and the fact that all the characters and charm are as impressive as ever means it really wasn't a case of rose tinted spectacles. This really is the best game ever made. Definitely go for it!

Excellent. I cannot wait to start it again.
  • Zidargh 22 Nov 2009 11:55:13 1,669 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 22 November 2009 18:17:51
    Resident Evil. The mansion. Walking around, in a mostly empty place, becomes quite creepy after a while. I played this one until the end. Its towards the end, I had, for want of a better word, a fond memory. It may not sound like much, but the feeling was really something.

Jill Valentine was standing in an office of some sort, and the amazing thing was, it was possible to see outside, through a window. The glass was really blurred, messed up by rain droplets. Through the window, a light, or lights could be seen. The feeling was one of actually being somewhere, and one of nearing the end. After spending so long inside, the idea of going outside, and escaping all that had gone before, was a welcoming thought.
  • tenofspades 22 Nov 2009 18:20:37 1,693 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Playing Tetris against a friend- and suddenly opened up like a whole new game if I remember.
    Swapping cartridges with someone at school and this thing I borrowed had like 28 games on it.
    Playing Zelda on the gameboy which was easily one of the best games ever.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last