• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next
  • Paperghost 17 Nov 2009 17:16:35 1,702 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    Paperghost wrote:
    at this point i'd be happy with Price stepping out of the shower and realising it was all a dream.

That'd be the best game ever.

"Wait...where am I? My tache....my beautiful tache...it's back! Oh, glory be. And Gaz! You're alive! Hang on, why are you in my shower?"

"....pass the Soap".

THREAD GONE WRONG! ABORT! ABORT!
  • Feanor 17 Nov 2009 19:27:32 14,167 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There's an entire episode of the Giant Bombcast where the discuss MW2's plot.
  • Deleted user 17 November 2009 20:25:53
    *sigh* Nearly everyone critiquing the plot of MW2 here shows a total lack of understanding of most of the parts they are complaining about.

Shepherd kills the player and Ghost because they have been involved in several Black Ops during the game which they, and Price/Soap, are the only witnesses to. They are loose ends. The Shadow Ops guys, the soldiers with Shepherd, have not gone "rogue" with him, they're following orders from Shepherd. He's a General. The opening chapters establish that he's respected and liked by his men. He clearly has their dedication. If the General kills two strangers without proper uniforms then they'll follow him. Shepherd is a demented patriot who believes that only through a new "real" war piting the USA against another nation can it become stronger and the army he loves more powerful.

Look back at what Shepherd says and does, it makes sense in retrospect that he's lost his way (i.e. that he's sending someone to join a terrorist attack, and the speech he gives to the private is, again retrospectively, a giveaway that something is not right.)

The sub base and the missile launch. You're deaf if you didnt hear the comms where Price was going in and the doors opening, if you are playing the mission properly then you're even facing the sub from above when the doors open. The point in the missile launch? Price figures the only advantage the Russians have at that point in their US campaign is technology. Deprive them of that and they're a load of troopers facing off against a superior ground force on home ground. As far as the rest of the world is concerned the Russians launched the missile and the outcry from the rest of the world will back the Russians down and calm the situation down.

The Aiport - it has a build up, again, are you people skipping load screens? Not looking at the stuff on screen? Makarov was Zakhaevs prodigy but less controlled, with the rise of an ultranationalist leadership in Russia Makarov is almost a state sponsored terrorist. The ultranationalists want to provoke a conflict with the US, Makarov knows he can profit from it and idealogically wants to avenge Zakhaev who has become a state hero in Russia at that point. Remember that in COD4 the aftermath was reported differently from what happened. The airport makes no sense at first, because it only makes sense when you know Shepherd is working with Makarov at first, for his own ends. The whole point of that level is to provoke a national outrage and frame the USA for participating in it via the exectured CIA agent. That is the point!

Price - Price killed the guy in league with Zakhaev. Price led the missions in COD4 to stop Zakhaev. Price was blamed by Zakhaev for killing his son. Price thorws Soap the gun to kill Zakhaev. The plot of how Price is in the Gualag is to be filled in via the comic series, remember that the 141 team is just told that the prisoner is the only other person Makarov would want to get - the team just don't understand or question at the time why. The plot is admittedly vague here, but again without the full story it is unfair to just complain about it!

Abandoned airfield - again, its clear if you dont skip it that Shepherd, having been given free reign to take down all who were involved in attacking the USA, is going after Makarov, and also because Makarov worked with Shepherd. As far as Shadow Ops are concerned theyre taking down the terrorists and Russians who are responsible for the attacks on their home soil. Price and Soap deploy because Price knows Shepherd has sold them out and that Makarov will want revenge before he dies.

The attack on the US home soil is admittedly outlandish, but this is a videogame, and how it is done is logicalish - knock out the surveillance and communications of a nation state, use the resources of another nation state to launch targetted attacks... the defences of a modern nation rely on surveillance to work. Such an attack also guarantees that the nuclear option will not be used because you'd be nuts to nuke yourself in a limited ground war.
  • ronuds 17 Nov 2009 20:53:44 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Holy wall-o-text, Batman!
  • senso-ji 17 Nov 2009 21:11:12 5,917 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    BabyJesus wrote:

If they can get Zimmerman for the music surely they can hire a decent writer.

Actually, they could have hired an amazing writer and the story could have still ended up like shit.

I went to a comic convention last year which had the writer Andy Diggle doing a panel on the industry. Someone asked him about writing for computer games, and he mentioned that it was frustrating when he finished writing a script and the game producers told him to write around a scene involving fighting a giant monster. When he said it didn't make sense story wise they just told him 'tough, it looks cool, invent a scenario that leads to the battle'.

Now imagine walking into Infinity Ward as a writer and have them saying 'Ok, we want a story that goes from Afghanistan to a Russian airport to a nuke over America to an oil rig and then back to Afghanistan. The general is a traitor and a load of civilians get massacred. Hand the script in by next tuesday. K thx bye.'
  • INSOMANiAC 17 Nov 2009 21:14:43 3,829 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why does price say 'Good' when Soap is shouting 'The silo is opening the silo is fucking opening !!!!' etc

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• seasidebaz 17 Nov 2009 21:19:49 6,126 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    Holy wall-o-text, Batman!

It explains exactly what I made of the game too though, and I understood the plot completely.

I couldn't write such a wall of text myself though.
  • Whizzo 17 Nov 2009 21:34:11 43,134 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    EverAfter wrote:If the General kills two strangers without proper uniforms then they'll follow him.
    That would be two strangers who are members of his task force (they're in uniform too) and people his own unit have dropped off about 20 minutes earlier. "Strangers" that handed Shepherd something and he then executes immediately. Yes that's perfectly normal behaviour in a military unit.

As far as the rest of the world is concerned the Russians launched the missile and the outcry from the rest of the world will back the Russians down and calm the situation down.
    The Russian Federation has invaded the United States, do you honestly think they give a stuff about world opinion. Considering how quickly and massively they can invade the US everyone on the rest of the planet (probably including the Chinese) would be shitting themselves.

The plot is nonsensical crap, it's as simple as that.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Paperghost 17 Nov 2009 22:24:32 1,702 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    EverAfter wrote:The Aiport - it has a build up, again, are you people skipping load screens? Not looking at the stuff on screen? Makarov was Zakhaevs prodigy but less controlled, with the rise of an ultranationalist leadership in Russia Makarov is almost a state sponsored terrorist. The ultranationalists want to provoke a conflict with the US, Makarov knows he can profit from it and idealogically wants to avenge Zakhaev who has become a state hero in Russia at that point. Remember that in COD4 the aftermath was reported differently from what happened. The airport makes no sense at first, because it only makes sense when you know Shepherd is working with Makarov at first, for his own ends. The whole point of that level is to provoke a national outrage and frame the USA for participating in it via the exectured CIA agent. That is the point!

except after having a look around the makarov safehouse, it appears the US aren't even framed for the attack!

I just found on one of the walls (underneath a bunch of pics of the airport with arrows drawn on them) that there are two newspaper clippings. one is fairly irrelevant, but the other? an article on the airport attack which actually says something like

the attack, which is accepted to have been the work of ultranational terrorist makarov also appears to have had US involvement with a US infantryman who has ties to the CIA

this is dazzlingly stupid. the game makers actually insert a newspaper article into the game which openly states that everyone agrees Makarov was the culprit, and then they go and invade america anyway? whaaaat?

The plot of how Price is in the Gualag is to be filled in via the comic series, remember that the 141 team is just told that the prisoner is the only other person Makarov would want to get - the team just don't understand or question at the time why. The plot is admittedly vague here, but again without the full story it is unfair to just complain about it!

there may well be a good reason for it - some sort of bargaining chip most likely, I'd imagine - but I absolutely hate when a narrative is broken up across different mediums to tell one story, because it depends on you

a) knowing each piece of the puzzle exists in the first place
    b) having a tolerance and / or understanding of each medium they dump it in
    c) being happy with the fact that the main chunk of narrative, be it film, book or comic - is always going to be incomplete.

also, this method relies on various planned bits of the jigsaw not being cancelled due to lack of interest, sales figures, lead writer breaking his neck etc - otherwise it'll never be finished! A horrible trend that became very popular after the Matrix sequels, and one I've never been a fan of. Expand upon it later, sure - but put it all in the main work for God's sake!
  • Deleted user 17 November 2009 23:39:16
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    Why does price say 'Good' when Soap is shouting 'The silo is opening the silo is fucking opening !!!!' etc

Because Price is the one launching the missile?
  • Bremenacht 17 Nov 2009 23:57:50 18,335 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Niteninja likes it. He says it's very realistic.
  • Big-Swiss 18 Nov 2009 08:24:08 8,102 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Museum!

is there a point, trying to fight them all? or is it just for fun?

I get the plot by now, but I don't fucking like it.

it broke my heart when ghost died...........
  • Tremendosaurus 18 Nov 2009 08:45:15 1,197 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Big Swiss wrote:
    Museum!

is there a point, trying to fight them all? or is it just for fun?

^this

I was hoping for another cool epilogue :(
  • Big-Swiss 18 Nov 2009 08:47:04 8,102 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    you mean nothing? you mean I try to survive that peace of shit situation for nothing????
  • superted1974 18 Nov 2009 08:54:25 205 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Everafter
    "*sigh* Nearly everyone critiquing the plot of MW2 here shows a total lack of understanding of most of the parts they are complaining about."

One of my main criticisms of the plot was that it was impossible to follow - I don't mind a far out never really going to happen plot as long as it holds together in itself.

And I'm not stupid. I have A-levels you know!
  • Demikaze 18 Nov 2009 14:27:57 6,698 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Big Swiss wrote:
    you mean nothing? you mean I try to survive that peace of shit situation for nothing????

If you want, you can shoot most of them before ringing the bell if you want to make it a little easier.

I have absolutely no idea why it was included. The whole museum thing is just weird.
  • Metalfish 18 Nov 2009 14:35:54 8,819 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Demikaze wrote:
    I have absolutely no idea why it was included. The whole museum thing is just weird.
    They're showing off their models and textures. Simple as that. They want players (and other devs maybe) to see the hard work they put in. Pride, that's all it is.
  • Paperghost 18 Nov 2009 14:39:00 1,702 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Metalfish wrote:
    Demikaze wrote:
    They're showing off their models and textures. Simple as that. They want players (and other devs maybe) to see the hard work they put in. Pride, that's all it is.

we wanted another mile high club, dammit!

:(

i take it nothing happens if you manage to wipe everybody out then?
  • Metalfish 18 Nov 2009 14:40:29 8,819 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Paperghost wrote:
    we wanted another mile high club, dammit!
    Don't we call that spec ops mode? ;)
  • superted1974 2 Mar 2010 17:50:51 205 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Re-played again and.....

The plot is still pants!
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Next