Job Seeker's Allowance Query

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 27 October 2009 13:09:07
    Can anyone that knows anything about this shit explain to me why my girlfriend, who has been unemployed now since the end of July, is entitled to zero job seeker's allowance?

The official explanation is that she's not made enough NI contributions, but yet she's had it paid every month for the past god knows how many years in all her previous jobs. She declared that she lives with me but as I don't earn a ridiculous amount it's not the case that my income is enough to cover us both.

My gf insists she's explored all avenues and the simple fact is she's entitled to nowt but I thought I'd do some investigating of my own...
  • rutter 27 Oct 2009 13:12:49 1,919 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My wife claimed jobseekers for a few weeks earlier this year. She too was told she'd only be entitled to it up to end of Dec. Also Due to NI contributions. Despite being in full-time employment for 12 years previously. Shocking.

Fortunately she got a new job within 4 weeks.
  • X201 27 Oct 2009 13:14:15 15,581 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    NI contribs only take the last two years into account
  • Dougs 27 Oct 2009 13:14:32 68,411 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Contribution's Based JSA is based on your NI from the previous 2 full tax years (so in this case 07/08 and 08/09). If she's paid full NI (and not been self-employed etc) then she qualify for this for 6 months. If they're saying she's not paid enough, dispute it - go to the Contributions Agency (if there still is one) if necessary.

The other benefit is income based and if you live with someone working full time, invariably you don't qualify. Can't remember the exact amount but it was pretty low. I would've said the next step is tax credits maybe?
  • DaM 27 Oct 2009 13:15:02 13,332 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Has she been a student in the past few years?
    I got screwed over for this last time I tried to sign on, there was a 2 week gap in NI contributions due to me starting a 1 year course. Despite full contributions for 7 out of the previous 8 years. It really pissed me off, especially seeing all the shell-suited neds strolling in, picking up their dole.
  • Deleted user 27 October 2009 13:17:22
    Nope she's not been a student in a good 7/8 years.

The thing that confuses me most is how scrotes who've never worked, therefor have never paid any NI are entitled to the full amount. How does that work?

I find it shocking that she is not entitled apparently, to a single penny in benefits.
  • rutter 27 Oct 2009 13:17:37 1,919 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    NI contribs only take the last two years into account

Aha - that'll explain it. My wife was part-time for the 18ish months previously. My last post should have read 10yrs full-time and 18mths part-time.

That's dogshit though. It should take into account your total contribution to the pot, surely!?
  • Spanky 27 Oct 2009 13:18:48 14,525 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It also depends on her savings too. I'm earning too much for the lady to qualify for anything, funnily enough even though according to them i'm earning too much i seem to have this uncanny status of being fucking absolutely skint all the fucking time.

Also once this jobseekers runs out she drops off the unemployed map because unless you're a drain on the system you don't exist, you'll have to fight for any sort of unemployed discount at dentists/nhs etc.

Plubs

• Dougs 27 Oct 2009 13:22:58 68,411 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Even when contributions based runs out, still continue to sign on, as this will protect your NI contributions going forward.

HA - if she has worked full time for those 2 tax years, dispute it. It doesn't make sense, so there must be a mistake somewhere along the way.
  • Spanky 27 Oct 2009 13:24:45 14,525 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Even when contributions based runs out, still continue to sign on, as this will protect your NI contributions going forward.
    How/why would you do that if you are quite literally getting zero?

Plubs

• Deleted user 27 October 2009 13:25:51
    Yeah I wondered that - she's never been told she has to go and 'sign-on'. She basically got told

"you're entitled to nowt luv, now lump it"
  • Dougs 27 Oct 2009 13:26:34 68,411 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Because if you don't, your pension will be fucked down the line. Assuming there is one of course, but that's a different argument
  • Spanky 27 Oct 2009 13:27:52 14,525 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah same, then when she went to get a prescription had to pay for it as she had no evidence to prove she was unemployed, claimed it back later mind but as far as they were concerned she was invisible.

Plubs

• Spanky 27 Oct 2009 13:28:36 14,525 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hah like our generations are ever going to get a state pension. Aliens will be here to eat us in 5 years anyway.

Plubs

• Dougs 27 Oct 2009 13:30:33 68,411 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hence why you continue to sign on - same for any courses etc that might be available for those unemployed more than 6 months. They shouldn't have told her to hop it, poor advice.
  • catterz 27 Oct 2009 13:43:21 8,763 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I had an interesting conversation with a benefits woman after being told I wasn't eligible for housing benefits a few years back. Because I was under 25 and not breeding I was only entitled to 50 a week (assuming you're earning less than that), which was basically fuck all.

"Where am I supposed to be able to stay for 50 a week?", I asked.
    "You could get a nice room somewhere"
    "So you mean I have to effectively lower my standards of living because as an young professional I'm expected to live in a room?"
    "You wouldn't have to lower your standards"

Bollocks. Find me a nice room for 50 a week with an en-suite bathroom and private kitchen/lounge/entrance way... a house/flat really. Tart.

Still stalking this place, old-school style (UID: 1053)

• Deleted user 27 October 2009 13:52:05
    HairyArse; You should just decide to have a kid, once she's pregnant you'll get benefits and free money rained down on you for the next 16 years......
  • Hog-lumps 27 Oct 2009 14:02:54 946 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    She should of said the words 'phantom menace' and tapped her nose.
  • skuzzbag 27 Oct 2009 16:29:42 5,651 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's interesting that voluntary contributions amount to fuck all as far as JSA and pensions are concerned. You might as well not bother and spend the money on beer for all the good they do.
  • pacrifice 31 Jan 2013 19:24:39 1,091 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Should I bother claiming for JSA?

One of the questions asks if I currently have more than 16k in savings. My answer is yes.

I've been unemployed since November, I use my savings to pay bills. I figure with the JSA, I'd only be putting it towards that.

I've never been on JSA. I'm 29 and just figure since I've been taxed, I might as well claim for it.

No, I don't drink, smoke, drugs, lie about all day watching daytime tv or gaming (I exercise, job hunting).
  • Lukus 31 Jan 2013 19:32:38 19,248 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you have more than 16,000 you might not get anything other than your NI covered. You may as well apply though, you're entitled to.

Paintings & Photographs

• Whizzo 31 Jan 2013 19:34:17 43,195 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm pretty sure you'll get National Insurance Credits even if you've got too much in the way of savings to get JSA.

This does mean you'll have to sign on of course but that's usually pretty painless if you're obviously looking for work.

Edited by Whizzo at 19:35:12 31-01-2013

This space left intentionally blank.

• RedSparrows 31 Jan 2013 19:42:16 23,298 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't assume that because you're looking for JSA, you're a scumbag. I despise the ugly, mendacious prevalence of this trope.

Worth a shot.
  • andytheadequate 31 Jan 2013 20:48:06 8,267 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    pacrifice wrote:
    Should I bother claiming for JSA?

One of the questions asks if I currently have more than 16k in savings. My answer is yes.

I've been unemployed since November, I use my savings to pay bills. I figure with the JSA, I'd only be putting it towards that.

I've never been on JSA. I'm 29 and just figure since I've been taxed, I might as well claim for it.

No, I don't drink, smoke, drugs, lie about all day watching daytime tv or gaming (I exercise, job hunting).
    If you have over 16k in savings I doubt you'll get anything. I had about 10k (ready for house deposit) last time I had to claim, and I wasn't getting much. For every 250 over 6k you have in savings you get a quid less per week (or something like that). Worth applying though, doesn't take long online.
  • Dougs 31 Jan 2013 20:54:44 68,411 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And as above, if you've got full NI contributions for the last 2 tax years, you should get 6 months contribution based, regardless of savings.
  • mrpon 31 Jan 2013 21:04:42 29,188 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What if the savings are in ISAs? I've no idea tbh, just throwing it out there.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• spamdangled 31 Jan 2013 21:07:15 27,413 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    Can anyone that knows anything about this shit explain to me why my girlfriend, who has been unemployed now since the end of July, is entitled to zero job seeker's allowance?

The official explanation is that she's not made enough NI contributions, but yet she's had it paid every month for the past god knows how many years in all her previous jobs. She declared that she lives with me but as I don't earn a ridiculous amount it's not the case that my income is enough to cover us both.

My gf insists she's explored all avenues and the simple fact is she's entitled to nowt but I thought I'd do some investigating of my own...
    If she lives with you, your income is taken into account too.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• onestepfromlost 31 Jan 2013 21:07:16 2,083 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    when my gf was unemplyed i was earning roughly 150 a week, and hence she was told i was earning enough to support both of us. She got absolutely nothing. no JSA, housing benfit or anything. I asked the woman if we would get something if we started taking smack. needless to say she didnt really have an answer for that
  • Dougs 31 Jan 2013 21:08:12 68,411 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    What if the savings are in ISAs? I've no idea tbh, just throwing it out there.
    No difference afaik
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous