Epic Mickey Page 4

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• sargulesh 15 Oct 2009 23:18:14 3,281 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    "As Game Informer has been hyping for weeks now, their latest issue features a huge spread on Epic Mickey. You get your first look at in-game screens and brand-new art, as well as Mickey's redesign, and a host of other characters. Obviously, I cannot show you that here, but thanks to Hero of Legend, I can give you the first details!

- Mickey's appearance is much, much closer to his original debut style
    - Disney was the one to approach Spector
    - Spector originally was against the idea of creating a Mickey game, because he said that he didn't do kids games
    - Spector changed his mind when Disney said that they were looking for someone to 'reinvigorate' Mickey
    - Disney had to get back the rights to Oswald before he could be used in this game
    - the sorcerer Yensid creates a pen-and-paper world for his forgotten creations, which is where Oswald lives
    - this world is similar to Walt Disney World
    - Mickey enters this world through a magic mirror, and accidentally spills paint and paint thinner on the drawing of this world. Mickey escapes before Yensid finds out.
    - The spill that Mickey caused ends up turning the drawing into a twisted version of what was originally created.
    - the Phantom Blot ends up taking over this world
    - many years later, after Mickey becomes successful, he re-enters the mirror and sees what has happened to the world. The Phantom Blot drags Mickey into the world, which is where your adventure begins
    - use the Wiimote to paint in buildings, platforms and more
    - swipe away enemies with the Wiimote when using paint thinner
    - create/destroy the world as you go along
    - Junction Point took hundreds of photos while at Disney World in order to capture the essence of the park, and translate ideas into the game
    - play the game as you like, either destroying everything in sight, or taking the hero's route. It's completely up to you, and you can mix-and-match play styles
    - Gremlin Village is reminiscent of 'It's a Small World'
    - Mickey's appearance and stance will change based on the way you play the game
    - trade some items for health
    - Pete returns, and at one point attacks you with a huge zepplin
    - Donald Duck animatronic pieces are scattered throughout one portion of the game. Collect them to put him back together.
    - Spector wants this game to scare kids, in some ways
    - the game will also have funny parts
    - Spector calls the game world's visuals 'the bastard child of Tim Burton and Disney'
    - elements of platforming, exploration and role-playing
    - go into the inner-workings of some levels and rides
    - visit the gears and mechanics underneath the 'It's a Small World' ride, complete with an eerie re-imagining of the music
    - enter movie screens to move from in-game island to island
    - movie screen transitions put you into a 2d world, where you'll revisit some of Mickey's old cartoons
    - find sketches, and bring them to life with your paintbrush
    - sketches can be activated to give you new powers (clock sketch to slow time, TV sketch to distract enemies, and more)
    - collect 'E-Tickets' to enter rides, and use as a form of currency to buy power-ups
    - Jim Dooley 'Pushing Daises' is doing the soundtrack

Warren Spector on Mickey

"I want him to be a hero...and I want to remind him that it's okay to behave badly."

Warren on Oswald

"All he really wants is to be loved by Walt Disney. In the end, the Blot won the war and pushed Oswald into hiding and exile."

Warren on the Gremlins

"The Gremlins are the only forces of good in the world that can continue to fight against the Blot.

Warren on the Bunny Kids

"These are going to be the breakout stars of the game. Mark my words."

Warren on the Buddies (Donald, Goofy, ect.)

"Oswald is trying to recreate Mickey's life, so he has the Mad Doctor build these animatronic versions of his buddies."

Warren on the Mad Doctor

"He's from an early 30's cartoon that is pretty swell."

Warren on the Phantom Blot

"The Phantom Blot has been a consistent villain since 1939. He's just been lame."

Warren on the Blotlings

"They're the popcorn unit. You need something that the player can just swat away. They're supposed to be funny, silly and stupid."

Warren on the Beetleworx

"In order to deal with these guys, you have to erase their painted bits to get to the vulnerable inert spots underneath.""
  • Deleted user 15 October 2009 23:22:25
    Scans.
  • sargulesh 15 Oct 2009 23:23:34 3,281 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yup. Looks great. Sounds great.
  • Pirotic Moderator 15 Oct 2009 23:30:55 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Looks nowhere near as dark as I'd hoped. Quite disappointed.
  • sargulesh 16 Oct 2009 08:12:45 3,281 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm disappointed in both of you as well so I guess the universe has its own way of evening these things out.
  • Pirotic Moderator 16 Oct 2009 08:20:46 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh come on, It looks like one of those cheap Mario 64 knock-off's which came out towards the start of the PSone life cycle. At best I could say it looks a bit like psychonauts with what appears to be a Taiwanese imitation of Micky mouse. For something which was supposed to be a tim burton-esque reinvention of Micky, it's no more dark and twisted than say, Kingdom Hearts. Heck, Blinx the friggin time keeper was more twisted.

I will admit, reading about it makes it sounds awesome. Love some of the game design concepts, just don't like the look of it.
  • sargulesh 16 Oct 2009 08:22:06 3,281 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just a wee joke. I thought it was very hard to judge what it looked like from the miniscule scans I saw. They should have went the Sly Cooper route if they were going to go 3D.

I know Pixar are supposedly doing the animation but has Warren Spector ever been involved w/a non-ugly game?
  • Tonka 16 Oct 2009 08:34:29 20,019 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can't see the images.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• bad09 16 Oct 2009 09:05:05 5,643 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmmm....those screenies don't live up to the awesome artwork on GI's cover TBH. I need more details and vids, but my plan to buy another Wii for this has been dented slightly.

/ waits...
  • Cappy 16 Oct 2009 09:40:38 11,831 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is Epic Mickey the final title for this game? If so that's a bit lame, it's also leaving them open for snarky review subheadings on the surfeit of 'epic' in the final product.
  • Tonka 16 Oct 2009 09:54:33 20,019 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    disc wrote:
    You could try this link.

Nice one. I can agree that the screenies didn't live up to the hype. I'm allergic to putple lighting as well.

• varsas 16 Oct 2009 10:38:23 2,401 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    Looks nowhere near as dark as I'd hoped. Quite disappointed.
    I think it looks pretty dark given what it's based on; it's a game with Mickey Mouse in it and a cast of Disney characters so what were you expecting?

disc wrote:
    You could try this link.
    Thanks! It looks very good with an interesting style imho.
  • Blerk Moderator 16 Oct 2009 11:31:49 48,225 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm. It does look very 'Kingdom Hearts' but more cutesey. Environments seem a bit empty at the minute, not sure on the Mickey model and it's a shame it doesn't seem to be anything like the concept art from before.

That said.... could still turn out okay. Doesn't look like a disaster by any shakes.
  • Tonka 16 Oct 2009 11:47:14 20,019 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It reads better than it looks.

• ecureuil 16 Oct 2009 11:53:31 76,526 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Epic fail on those scans. Bloody Wii.
  • varsas 16 Oct 2009 12:22:23 2,401 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    More cutesy than Kingdom Hearts? I don't see that at all.
  • Deleted user 16 October 2009 12:59:47
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 16 October 2009 13:00:46
    There were actually a few additional scans at the now defunct link. Direct links still work.

#1 #2 #3 #4 #5
    #6 #7 #8 #9 #10
  • Deleted user 16 October 2009 13:11:10
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 16 October 2009 13:19:21
    So Micky not so epic :(.

What a dissapointment.
  • varsas 16 Oct 2009 14:20:02 2,401 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    20charactersmax wrote:
    There were actually a few additional scans at the now defunct link. Direct links still work.

#1 #2 #3 #4 #5
    #6 #7 #8 #9 #10

Thanks for the links, I think it looks pretty good. Visually stylish, quite detailed and solid looking Wii platformer.
  • phAge 16 Oct 2009 14:23:34 24,337 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not being a Wii-owner, this won't really affect me - but that does look like a pretty big missed opportunity right there. Initial shots/concept art looked awesome - this is just... meh.
  • Deleted user 20 October 2009 02:53:25
    An In Depth Look at the Art and Animation
  • Toonster 20 Oct 2009 02:56:41 6,835 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Even though this is on the Wii, this game could have still looked beautiful anyway. Pity it's turned out this way.

Oh well, we can only hope a lot of changes are made between now and the release.

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• sargulesh 20 Oct 2009 08:30:10 3,281 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Isn't this being animated by Pixar?
  • sargulesh 20 Oct 2009 08:56:35 3,281 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't know what that means.

I wonder what Pixar's involvement is then.
  • Tonka 20 Oct 2009 09:06:04 20,019 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They do the animation.

• Deleted user 24 October 2009 02:30:45
    A long interview with Warren Spector.

GI: Why the Wii?

WS: Well, think about it. Would you really want to tackle convincing Halo or Grand Theft Auto players that they want to be Mickey Mouse? Would you really want to do that? In terms of finding a congenial audience, letís go for a platform thatís known for Mario and Link and now Sonic. Come on. Honestly, with the unit sales on the hardware, it was kind of a lucky happenstance. We made the call to go to the Wii long before it was clear that the Wii was going to be, at least for now, the best-selling platform.

It was about going where the audience is and going somewhere where theyíre going to accept a visual style that is more cartoony than people are used to seeing and where we donít feel obliged to throw in every shader on the planet. ďLook at the normal maps and shaders.Ē We donít have to do that kind of stuff. Itís the right platform for this project, for sure.
  • ecureuil 24 Oct 2009 02:36:28 76,526 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, I suppose it is a lot easier to convince pensioners and women to play a Mickey Mouse game than it is to convince FPS players.
  • sargulesh 24 Oct 2009 08:02:18 3,281 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Are there any demographic statistics of Wii ownership available?
  • Page

of 9 First / Last