• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next
  • President_Weasel 28 Sep 2009 19:48:28 9,126 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Whatsfor wrote:
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    kentmonkey, did you ask if they actually had the Panasonic in stock or were they just using it as a hook to get people into the store? It sure sounds like that to me, in which case they're using bait and switch tactics, which I'm pretty sure is illegal for a retailer to do.

Its not illegal to have run out of an item of stock and only have the display model left. They can take order's from that model.

RS use the S.W.A.N sales technique, often employed by the multiples.

Sell
    Whats
    Available
    Now

It may not be illegal but it's certainly shady to do flyers and adverts showing enticingly low prices for stock you have a very limited amount of and that you know will sell out quickly.
  • Whatsfor 28 Sep 2009 19:50:38 2,189 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    Whatsfor wrote:
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    kentmonkey, did you ask if they actually had the Panasonic in stock or were they just using it as a hook to get people into the store? It sure sounds like that to me, in which case they're using bait and switch tactics, which I'm pretty sure is illegal for a retailer to do.

Its not illegal to have run out of an item of stock and only have the display model left. They can take order's from that model.

Sell
    Whats
    Available
    Now
    This may have been the case, but I just find it suspicious at how keen the staffer was at not showing kentmonkey the Panasonic TV. I understand him trying to get more money out of the customer, but completely turning his business away is most odd.

"Bait and switch" inviting consumers to buy one product but then trying to persuade them to buy a different one e.g. by refusing to show them the original item, or to take orders or make delivery arrangements, or by showing a defective sample.

Well if you pay peanuts you get monkeys... (the staff that is, not kentmonkey (or a racist term))

They are not going to get excellent sales people on minimum wage. Good sales people can make a killing so they wouldn't bother with a place like RS.
  • Chopsen 28 Sep 2009 19:51:25 15,833 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whatsfor wrote:
    Well, for the fact that EVERYONE measures dynamic contrast rather then static is annoying as the latter is more useful to the customer.

Samsung and Panny now just put "MEGACONTRAST" and "SUPERCONTRAST" on their sets and tell their resellers to quote 2,000,000:1 if asked.

N.B. most people's eyes stop caring at about 800,000:1

So do the contrast ratios you see quoted on TV specs mean anything, then?
  • Whatsfor 28 Sep 2009 19:54:18 2,189 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    President Weasel wrote:
    Whatsfor wrote:
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:

Sell
    Whats
    Available
    Now

It may not be illegal but it's certainly shady to do flyers and adverts showing enticingly low prices for stock you have a very limited amount of and that you know will sell out quickly.

I agree completely, its is a shoddy and shitty practise but for two-bit companies like RS it drives footfall and inevitably it drives sales for 'equivalent' products.

Consumers (largely) are fickle and don't like to leave a shopping trip empty handed so will settle for the '10%' more expensive nearest option...

Edit: missed two words out, lol!!!1!!1111
  • Whatsfor 28 Sep 2009 19:58:38 2,189 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Whatsfor wrote:
    Well, for the fact that EVERYONE measures dynamic contrast rather then static is annoying as the latter is more useful to the customer.

Samsung and Panny now just put "MEGACONTRAST" and "SUPERCONTRAST" on their sets and tell their resellers to quote 2,000,000:1 if asked.

N.B. most people's eyes stop caring at about 800,000:1

So do the contrast ratios you see quoted on TV specs mean anything, then?

Normally, no.

I am obviously biased to my employer, who have obviously followed suit by measuring dynamic contrast. They have done this because which looks better:

XXX @ 1,200:1 contrast
    YYY @ 1,000,000:1 contrast

In my employer's credit though they measure the sets dynamically in a windowed, illuminated room at the Barcelona facility (bright sunshine) during the day. Where as the other big player's measure their contrast ratio's in a blackened room. The latter causes the measurement to appear greater.
  • Deleted user 28 September 2009 20:01:19
    Have been meaning to buy some nice gaming surround speakers for some time and RS are my most local 'professionals' in Leicester. May take a looksee and report back on the customer service as I've been putting it off for too long
  • Chopsen 28 Sep 2009 20:06:11 15,833 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmmm. I did not realize that. I thought there was some kind of standardized way of measuring these things. What was I thinking, eh? :)

So, who are the "good guys" and who are the "bad guys" in your example, then? Or does modesty and professional courtesy make that top secret?

• SuperCoolEskimo 28 Sep 2009 20:06:49 9,756 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This forum really needs a thread which is updated regularly by the resident TV guru's with the best HDTV deals around.

Kinda like the All New Bargains Thread, but just for well-specced, well-priced TV's.
  • Whatsfor 28 Sep 2009 20:11:12 2,189 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, Eskimo I am always open to giving (slightly biased) help to though's who need it with TV's/brown goods.
  • pinebear 28 Sep 2009 20:18:23 8,565 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Totally agree with you SCE, fortunately we have silentbob among others* to thank for The Eurogamer HDTV Guide. Not been bumped in a few months but I know I'll be reading it in full before upgrading from Standard Definition :)

*Oh and of course Whatsfor who is now my "favourite EGer working for a major TV manufacturer that I'd never have considered purchasing from until realising who they were and their Whatsfor-employing credentials" ;)

• TakeTheVeil 28 Sep 2009 20:45:24 5,058 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just so folks know, I've dealt with Richersounds in Belfast before and they're some of the nicest guys i've ever met and are hugely knowledgeable. They've even helped me with a product I didn't buy off them.

They even a consumer forum on another forum and are constantly checking it and replying to folks.
  • smoothpete 29 Nov 2012 10:31:04 31,456 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bump.

Now, we all know the score. We should all know by now that they're going to try and sell us Cambridge Audio stuff. Do they have to be so unbelievably blatant about it though?

I just rang up too check if they had a pair of Q Acoustics 2010i in walnut in stock as I am going to gradually upgrade my 5.1 set up to the 2000i range (What HiFi award winners). I will buy a bit every month to spread the cost.

"no we don't have those in stock. Can I recommend the Cambridge Audio such-and-such? It's just the Q Acoustics don't have the midrange for me". Fuck off! I want the ones I rang up about or I wouldn't have asked for them. I wonder how much Cambridge Audio kit they have shifted based on their constant sales pitch.
  • CosmicFuzz 29 Nov 2012 12:17:57 23,739 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oi! Richer Sounds is a great place. I've bought all my kit from them and never been hassled about anything.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• kalel 29 Nov 2012 12:22:46 86,783 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's ok depending on your needs and attitude. Go there waning some decent good value hifi stuff and you'll done fine. Go there with very specific needs and it can be quite frustrating.
  • Murbal 29 Nov 2012 12:23:00 22,043 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Oi! Richer Sounds is a great place. I've bought all my Cambridge Audio kit from them and never been hassled about anything.
  • CosmicFuzz 29 Nov 2012 12:49:09 23,739 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :-D

I got my only amp and tannoy speakers from them, along with my Hitachi tv. They do have a lot if CA stuff true, but they've never pushed them onto me. Can see that being annoying though.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• CosmicFuzz 29 Nov 2012 13:06:45 23,739 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Onkyo amp even

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next