The **Official** Wiiware thread part 2 Page 6

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Next
  • CharlieStCloud 28 Nov 2010 20:00:01 5,275 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    sunjumper wrote:
    By now we really need some kind of 'best of' list for WiiWare...

And Yet It Moves
    Art of Balance
    BIT.TRIP RUNNER
    Bomberman Blast
    Excitebike (both the NES and WiiWare game is brilliant)
    LostWinds (and the lovely sequel, Winter of the Melodias)
    NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits
    Swords & Soldiers
    WarioWare D.I.Y.
    World of Goo (it is a hefty 1,500 Wii points though)

I highly recommend all of the BIT.TRIP games but RUNNER is my favourite.

What kind of game is Tomena Sanner as I am awfully curious/tempted to buy it!
  • Oh-Bollox 28 Nov 2010 20:04:49 5,323 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Driiftmania is great.
  • figaro7 29 Nov 2010 20:42:53 1,366 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cave story hitting next friday according to Nintendolife all PAL territories as well!
  • famous_roy 6 Dec 2010 19:58:06 4,102 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    figaro7 wrote:
    Cave story hitting next friday according to Nintendolife all PAL territories as well!

Had a play on the PC version today, absolutely cannot wait. Shame the year delay doesn't hold much for us apart from 200pts off :(

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• famous_roy 9 Dec 2010 20:33:44 4,102 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    High hopes for 9pm early release for Cave Story tonight? Yeah, didn't think so. Roll on midnight!

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• figaro7 5 Jan 2011 03:49:08 1,366 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So wheres is the love for hydroventure, aka fluidity in the states, its bloody marvellous! Came out around christmas time!

Reviews here!
  • figaro7 13 Feb 2011 20:55:30 1,366 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been trying a few games on wiiware as of late, played the demo of Lit and dive: medes islands, both are not bad, might pick up the full game of Lit, as dive just feels like endless ocean without the wonder of 3d exploration.

Bought Bit trip runner and its frustrating to the max, made it to the first boss but the 1 hit die is too much trial and error for my liking.

So then i looked up flowerworks, seen a few reviews and picked it up for 500 points! Reading kruds review nearly put me off but after you work out what the hell is going on its a fantastic puzzle game. The tutorial is the problem, it shows the basics but thats all. All you rely on is teh question markers throughout the world to tell you how to do it. The problem with this game, telling and showing are miles apart.

Your follie the flower and you basically travel a world, a birds eye view world that would sit at home on the nes or snes and your task is to bring flora back to it by completing each of the levels scattered about.

You control follie with the wiimote and the pointer is basically follie, where you point he/she goes. Pollen drifts from the bottom of the screen to the top, you collect it and shoot it at the coloured flowers, matching the colour with the pollen. Hold A to target a specific flower then wherever you move youve locked onto that flower. Switching flowers isnt as easy, but you hold B and move in the direction of the flower, mainly left or right. There is a line from follie to the flower so you always know which one youve locked onto or locked to.

What the tutorial fails to tell you is how to combo pollen when shooting it at the flower. Its the biggest way for massive scores on each level and without it youll struggle. Once youve locked on to a flower, if you can line up pollen with more pollen drifting upwards and shoot it from follie collecting a few on the way to the flower youve scored a combo.

Score 2 or more pollen in a row and a bubble will shoot up into the sky, bust it and it will water the flowers. Which is basically the point of the game, get the flower or flowers to bloom and the level is complete. You dont have to burst bubbles though, shooting the same coloured pollen into each flower will help it grow as well, just not as quick.

Throw in plants that require 2 different coloured pollens to grow, ie a green flower needs yellow and blue pollen, so youve got to lineup a yellow and blue pollen then shoot it at the flower, it quickly makes the game difficult. But if you shoot say a green pollen at a yellow flower it will still grow, as green has yellow and blue in it.

Not hard at all see! Theres also some powerups along the way, one that lets follie store the same colour pollen and if you collect enough follie will release water pushing down on the d-pad. There is a little moving circle around follie to let you know its full although most levels youll be too busy to even take notice.

Other powerups lets follie shoot 2 pollen in an instance, pushing A twice quickly will do this, another which i think was the most important to me was the size of the pollen follie would shoot to the flower increased. A small pollen compared to a pollen twice as wide makes a huge difference in getting those combos.

Each level you can earn a max of 5 stars, more points the more stars you get. Theres a few difficulty settings as well, i played easy i think and it was challengin enough because in order to advance through the world youll need to have so many stars, not too hard in the first few parts but in the later parts youll be going back through levels getting at least 3 or 4 stars to have enough to advance.

Anyway thats enough, for a wiiware game at 500 points this is an 8/10 any day of the week.
  • rock27gr 13 Feb 2011 21:03:21 5,586 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's a shame this thread get NO ATTENTION AT ALL from the rest of the forumites. Same goes for WiiWare. If you look at the Live thread, there's much discussion taking place for many titles, but on WiiWare no-one seems to care.
  • Fletche 14 Feb 2011 10:44:40 3,418 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    figaro7 wrote:
    So wheres is the love for hydroventure, aka fluidity in the states, its bloody marvellous! Came out around christmas time!

Reviews here!

Played the demo for this yesterday and loved it, really need to get back into some WiiWare stuff, Cave Story is another I need to get at some point soon and rock27gr, you are right it is a shame and I am just as bad as most with this, And Yet It Moves was one of my games of the year last year, WiiWare contains some great games which sadly are largely ignored by the masses
  • figaro7 17 Feb 2011 20:58:35 1,366 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tomena Sanner is a timing based platformer, the guy basically runs and all you do is press A at the right moment to dodge whatever is in your path. Press A to early and you will slow down, press it to late and you will run into said object. Press it just right and youll speed up and increase your timer as the timer is always counting down.

The enjoyment from it comes from the silly animations that go on during each level when your character interacts with the object depending on how your timing goes.

You can also jump by pressing the A button, which will net you some interesting bonus objects such as speed up, speed down, making the character bigger or smaller, in both those cases invincible.

Theres multiplayer which ive played with a friend and probably the easiest multiplayer game to get into, theres also a hard mode that speeds the game up.

A good game to play every now and then in short bursts, like most score attack games though.
  • Fletche 18 Feb 2011 11:03:57 3,418 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Purchased Hydroventure yesterday and it is excellent, well worth the 1200 points, easily one of the best WiiWare games I have played to date.
  • figaro7 14 Aug 2011 13:09:54 1,366 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wiiware is pretty much dead nowadays, picked up a few oldies, its just a shame us pal owners dont get the US love. Anyway i nabbed airport mania and its an addictive as hell and only just completed it, quite long for a err, strategy game im calling it, good fun and only 500 wii points!

Played the majority of castlevania rebirth, the no save feature killed it for me, i didnt mind playing through it but in all honesty, its a NES game all over and i understand its made that way would it have hurt to have a save mode at all.

Last one i just picked up, pearl harbor trilogy, its great, controls really fluid but its quite difficult, nothing like an arcade flight shooter to fill the void, it looks great too!

Anyone picked up some wiiware games as of late?

• Raiko101 15 Aug 2011 10:49:07 6,406 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've not bought anything in a while, thanks to the 3DS. I'm sitting on 800 points, but I don't want to buy any VC games at the moment. If anyone has any good suggestions on Wiiware titles within that point range, i'll happily investigate.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• figaro7 18 Jul 2012 22:52:38 1,366 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bump! Picked up art of balance and rage of the gladiator, finished of art of balance and its an excellent puzzler, not quite up there with world of goo and hydroventure though. The 100 seem like a lot but actually dont take long to whiz through, some levels will leave you scratching your head though, especially towards the end!

Started rage of the gladiator as well, definately a punchout game in disguise, still bloody good though and looks fantastic. Only done the first 4 fights but am quite enjoying it.

Played the demo of fast: league racing? Is it worth picking up the full game?

Mind you i had to change my settings to uk region to pick up gladiator the fast racing demo, i understand that youll lose your points if you change them back but it still works out cheaper to get them from uk than it does in au...
  • redcrayon 19 Jul 2012 09:15:54 4,567 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I bought Contra Rebirth last weekend. It's incredibly short and with nowhere near the amount of options and replayability of Hard Corps: Uprising on the HD stores and Contra IV on the DS.

That doesn't make it bad, but it's the worst Contra game of recent years.
  • figaro7 26 Jul 2012 04:06:49 1,366 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Took the plunge on the fast: league racing and its fantastic. Its brutal for sure but its excelleny in what it sets out to do. The elements of white and black boosts works very well, throwing a puzzle element into the fray.

Theres 3 cups with 4 tracks in each and 3 difficulty sections. Once you get a handle on the... handling its bloody enjoyable, the initial difficulties arent so bad and you can win quite easily, but the, expert mode is tough. The fact that you cannot restart a race only adds to the frustration. However the points system is fair and you only have to place in the top 3 overall to proceed to the next cup. The races are not long at all either, with 2 minutes at the absolute max for the 3 lap race, this eases restarting a cup if you throw in the towel.

Theres also 21 challenges that are quite varied and offer something different to the main event, but once youve unlocked some decent vehicles you can whip through these quite quickly.

Shinen must know the wii hardware, the graphics they can pull out of this game put most retail releases to shame, the frame rate is rock steady for 90% of the time i played it.

Chalk fast: league racing up as another strong addition to the wiiware library.
  • Deleted user 20 September 2012 14:07:30
    Can anyone tell me what time about the Wii Shop Channel updates? La-Mulana is out today and Im very much looking forward to it :)
  • figaro7 24 Sep 2012 12:22:03 1,366 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Did anyone pick La-Mulana up? Is it as brutal as ive been reading around the web? Or as taxing?
  • Raiko101 11 Oct 2012 21:49:15 6,406 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm suprised nobody here is talking about La Mulana. I've just downloaded it this evening. If anyone cares, i'll leave my thoughts on it once i've had a good enough impression.

• Raiko101 12 Oct 2012 07:38:31 6,406 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'll leave this here just in case. :)

My first impressions are good, but the game really does drop you in the deep end. It throws a lot of information at you quite quickly, and it's easy to forget something quite important. I suppose if you remember that you require weights to trigger switches, and that you can shoot those orange looking barrel things, you'll be ok. However, the game throws a ton of shops at you from the beginning, and until you've done a little exploring, it's difficult to know what exactly you need. I strongly recommend you buy everything, because otherwise you'll be unable to interact with particular objects, giving you the impression they're nothing more than decoration in the game.

This really isn't a game for the impatient, but if you like solving puzzles, this looks like it's going to be quite an interesting game.

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Next