of 5 First / Last

• hiddenranbir 6 Jul 2011 23:47:41 5,743 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Better battles than Total Bore.
  • Hydrogene 6 Jul 2011 23:56:00 103 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I started a new campaign for the Steam sale achievement stuff (Lady of the lake), with a female character, and it's quite interesting to see the macho reactions of many of the lords. :) This game is really amazing !
    I don't know how the diplomacy will play out in the later game though. Any hints for a fighting lady?
  • Ginger 7 Jul 2011 14:48:49 6,808 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    just bought this in the steam sale on the back of this thread - going to start with vanilla warbands I think

London open taekwondo champion

• AaronTurner 7 Jul 2011 14:50:13 7,521 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have no idea what to do in this game.
  • Ginger 7 Jul 2011 14:52:42 6,808 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    I have a feeling that's going to be me for a while too

• Hydrogene 7 Jul 2011 15:31:55 103 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ginger wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:
    I have a feeling that's going to be me for a while too

You just do whatever you want to do, it's a totally open game, and that is at the same time its strength and its weakness. You can try to become king, a lawless brigand ransacking trading caravans, get rich by trading, become a loyal vassal fighting battles and sieges for your king, you can try to become a champion in tournaments all around the world.
    And in the game too.
  • UncleLou Moderator 7 Jul 2011 15:35:35 35,171 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:

Recruit villagers for your army, they'll level up over time. Build up renown by fighting bandits, deserters, looters and the like, and level up your villagers. Also, go to the taverns and hire the named characters, they usually have a high intellect, and will contribute tracking, spotting, engineering, surgery etc. skills.

Also, visit the arenas in towns and ask the tournament masters in which towns tournaments take place. It's a quick way to gain renown and money once you got the hang of the combat.

edit:
    Swadians are a good faction to start with/recruit villagers from, for a variety of reasons.
  • Salaman 7 Jul 2011 15:51:07 18,237 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah just ride around from village to village and recruit. Then once you have a little band together start attacking groups of forest bandits that are smaller than you.
    You'll build xp and you and your soldiers will level up.
    You can also sell loot in the cities for monies.

As you gain xp you can get more soldiers. As you level up you can attack more hardy fellows like sea raiders.

It's also worth popping into castles or stopping knights that you come across on the map to ask if they have any jobs to do. They'll give you a quest from time to time.

Before you know it, you're 20 hours in, have your won castle and half the map hates you and attacks you on sight. ;-)
  • AaronTurner 7 Jul 2011 17:16:58 7,521 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The thing is I kind of feel I've seen everything the game has to offer in the first hour or so.
  • UncleLou Moderator 7 Jul 2011 17:51:51 35,171 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    O...k...

Strangest thing I've heard someone say about a game in ages, but if it doesn't grab you, it doesn't grab you, I guess. For me, the game only starts once you're riding around with 70+fully armoured men.
  • magicpanda 7 Jul 2011 18:25:45 13,006 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Impossible to see everything the game has to offer in an hour. What a stupid thing to say.
  • AaronTurner 7 Jul 2011 18:29:42 7,521 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you're going to be rude then at least offer some reasoning behind your answer. I'm riding around wondering what there is to do but all there really seems to do is have a battle or some sort, whether that's a battle in an arena, tournament or in the world. That wouldn't be too bad but there doesn't seem to be any kind of story. So what changes as the game goes on?
  • UncleLou Moderator 7 Jul 2011 18:35:41 35,171 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's a complete open world game, there is no scripted story, just the story of what you do with your freedom. What changes? The scale of battles, you can own fiefs and castles, your weapons and playing style, etc. A lot more changes than in most other games. I mean, what changes in an FPS? You walk around with a gun you fire occasionally for 10 hours.

I am not quite sure I get your question, unless you exclusively play games for the story.
  • AaronTurner 7 Jul 2011 18:37:49 7,521 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It just seems repetitive and fairly aimless, quite boring really. Obviously just not for me.
  • UncleLou Moderator 7 Jul 2011 18:55:24 35,171 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Quite obviously not, no.
  • hiddenranbir 7 Jul 2011 18:57:25 5,743 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It is the best form of sandbox. You have an open world where shit is going on everyday and you can partake or not. I like to fuel an ambition of serving a kingdom as a loyal subject while caring for my small modest fief.

The story is what you make it. Like how once I had a 200+ army and then at 18 days to reach a castle for my wedding. Only I got caught in a battle and lost, was prisoner for a couple of days but managed to escape, of course I was left to return home on foot which wasn't enough as I got caught up again by bandits and they held me for weeks, making me miss my own wedding. I finally returned home, raised a new army and unleashed hell on the land.

I went from honourable to dishonourable as I pillaged and raped everything.

Brap.
  • AaronTurner 7 Jul 2011 18:59:29 7,521 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The way you write that makes it sound interesting but in effect it's just a massive grind to get to that kind of position. Also, the quests are absolutely terrible.
  • hiddenranbir 7 Jul 2011 19:12:54 5,743 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mod it, play it online. Otherwise it isn't for you.
  • Garfy 8 Jul 2011 14:31:44 576 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Any ideas on a good starting character type and skills for a complete beginner?

In games I generally like to lead from the front doing as much damage as possible :)
  • Metalfish 8 Jul 2011 14:53:56 8,688 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Leading from the front you're going to have to be pretty combat focused, so that's strength and agility with stuff like ironskin (extra health) and power strike (extra damage) The most damaging weapons are two handers but since you're going to spend most of your time glued to a horse, you might want to think about polearms and swords so you're not complete arrow-food.

Some sort of ranged skill might be a good idea, even if you don't focus much on it.
  • Hydrogene 8 Jul 2011 18:32:26 103 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Power strike is really a VERY effective way of increasing the damage you deal. Take it if you intend to melee often.

Also, you can look what your character creation decisions (father, early life, goal in life) translate to in skills and stats:
    http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Mount%26Blade/Character_creation

For instance, you can chose: Noble Father, Early life as a page, adult as squire, and revenge to get Power Strike+5 which should make quite effective from the start.
  • Hydrogene 11 Jul 2011 12:38:35 103 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you can't find any arrows, bolts, boots and gloves in Warband shops anymore, you are not alone. ;-)
    http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,180833.0.html
    The bug has been introduced by the new patch, 1.142. :(
    The only solution for the moment is reverting to version 1.134 but savegames aren't transferable.
  • Ginger 11 Jul 2011 22:13:32 6,808 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    oh god, this game is quite addictive...

• President_Weasel 11 Jul 2011 23:45:12 8,604 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's ok Ginger. Just one more battle and you can go to bed. Oh, slightly better equipment dropped, just give it to one of your companions and then hand-me-down his armour to the next one. Then you can go to bed. Oh, there's the bandits you need for that quest. Ride them down, and then you can definitely go to bed.
    Just a couple of minutes more to hand in the quest. Come to think of it, that murderer is meant to be hiding at that village on the way. Right, he's dead, go hand in the quest, and the other quest, and then you can go to - oh, level up! if you put a point into riding you can ride a better horse than this one, and they sell horses in the town you are handing the quest in at. Just get a new horse and you ca - GINGER IT IS TWO IN THE MORNING MAN, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?
  • Hydrogene 11 Jul 2011 23:56:33 103 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lol. Pdt Weasel, have you been looking over my shoulder while I was playing last night? Except it was 4 in the morning when I dragged myself to sleep, not two!! o__o
  • Salaman 12 Jul 2011 10:12:18 18,237 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    President Weasel wrote:
    It's ok Ginger. Just one more battle and you can go to bed. Oh, slightly better equipment dropped, just give it to one of your companions and then hand-me-down his armour to the next one. Then you can go to bed. Oh, there's the bandits you need for that quest. Ride them down, and then you can definitely go to bed.
    Just a couple of minutes more to hand in the quest. Come to think of it, that murderer is meant to be hiding at that village on the way. Right, he's dead, go hand in the quest, and the other quest, and then you can go to - oh, level up! if you put a point into riding you can ride a better horse than this one, and they sell horses in the town you are handing the quest in at. Just get a new horse and you ca - GINGER IT IS TWO IN THE MORNING MAN, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?

=)
  • Deleted user 14 July 2011 18:52:57
    Well I manned up and bought a copy from D2D in their sale for 6 and my grand illusions of being a Robber King lasted precisely ten minutes as I got caught during my first fight, had my arse dragged across the map for a couple of months, escaped, stumbled in to another fight, rinse and repeat.

I think I'll just start over...
  • Salaman 14 Jul 2011 20:04:22 18,237 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Save regularly. When caught, escape, exit without saving. Load.
  • Ginger 14 Jul 2011 20:05:56 6,808 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Save regularly. When caught, escape, exit without saving. Load.
    Bah, surely that's cheating :)

• Hydrogene 16 Jul 2011 10:28:29 103 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I started my first game with "no quitting wthout saving first", and every fight is much more intense! I'm also much more cautious than before.
    It feels like i'm roleplaying my character, and not just "playing" the game and testing stuff knowing I have a savegame backup ready. I quite like it !

By the way, a small patch is out, and fixes the problem with inventories in shops. Nice.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last