DropBox, handy 'cloud' file syncing service Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• FWB 16 Jun 2010 07:48:05 43,795 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I got invited to this for the first time the other day... someone wanted to share a number of pics with a big group. It's pretty cool. Anyway, what happens if I delete some files from the shared folder on my computer? Will it delete it them for everyone else? There's quite a few pics I have no interest in, but I don't want to stop others from looking at them.

If it doesn't, then how do I modify a shared folder for everyone? Just in case I want to in the future.
  • Jackface 16 Jun 2010 07:52:46 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Good question, never been too sure how shared folders work when you start deleting stuff in one of them.
  • Deleted user 16 June 2010 08:10:16
    hat happens to my old and deleted file versions?
    Dropbox keeps your files' version histories, complete with deletions and any changes made to the file, for thirty days. You can revert to a previous file version at any time over thirty days after you accidentally make a bad edit or delete a file./quote]
  • FWB 16 Jun 2010 08:11:57 43,795 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Okay that suggests, although doesn't outright state, that touching the files in my shared box will not affect the public ones. So how do I delete public files?
  • FWB 16 Jun 2010 12:52:31 43,795 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bump.
  • Deleted user 16 June 2010 12:54:04
    http://www.getcloudapp.com/
  • FWB 16 Jun 2010 12:57:04 43,795 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ta. That does look good, but I'd still like to know how Sharedbox works, since I now have these image files sitting on my computer.
  • President_Weasel 16 Jun 2010 12:59:00 8,923 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A bunch of us from the "Strategy Games Group" group used dropbox to run a game of Solium Infernum (which has an old-school multiplayer method of each player sending in their turn file, and the host sending out a new turn to everyone).
    It worked very well, no problems that we could see; much better than emails (game 3, running in parallel via emails, had all sorts of crazy problems); another bonus of dropbox is that we could all see exactly who the slow player was, unlike in game 3 where all we had to go on were dark suspicions.
  • Jackface 16 Jun 2010 16:01:38 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Seeing as I started the thread, can I get special permission to repost my lovely Dropbox referral link so that anyone who signs up to Dropbox gets an extra 250MB, as do I?

I can? Awesome, thanks! :)

(not that there's anybody left out there who doesn't have an account by now!)
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:54:52
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 7 December 2010 09:43:44
    New release now has selective sync - http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=28392&replies=4
  • HiddenAway 23 Mar 2011 22:43:36 14,852 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was thinking of using this to sync up friend cards and quest downloads from Dissidia 012 (seeing as the web method has been taken from the EU/US versions) with EG players. I take it this is allowed through Dropbox?

So if I create an account, how do others upload files? Do I have to share the account name and password or can I provide access to an account they make themselves?

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Blerk Moderator 23 Mar 2011 23:40:48 48,225 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    When you install it it makes a folder on your drive. Anything that goes in there gets synched to the server automatically. You can share any folder within the Dropbox folder with other users, whether they are Dropbox users or not (they use the web interface to access them in that case).

Dropbox is officially awesome. And I'll pimp my own referral link in case anyone wants to use it (and earn themselves and me an extra 250mb of space). :-)
  • Tremendosaurus 6 Jul 2011 16:54:49 1,197 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been some kicking off about this recently because of their new ToS which includes this clause:

By submitting your stuff to the Services, you grant us (and those we work with to provide the Services) worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable rights to use, copy, distribute, prepare derivative works (such as translations or format conversions) of, perform, or publicly display that stuff

Suffice to say I certainly do not grant them that right, so I'm closing my account.

If anyone is interested I've found a similar service called SpiderOak (cheeky referral link, here's a non-referral one if you're not feeling kind/don't want your free extra 1gb!) which seems just as good so far and has a few extra features (such as client-side encryption so they have absolutely zero access to your files!)

/not a planet!
  • Deleted user 6 July 2011 16:59:41
    http://db.tt/n8h9KzJ
  • oceanmotion 6 Jul 2011 17:07:44 15,641 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago

You might want to read the blog post before going off on one
  • Ford 6 Jul 2011 17:11:16 398 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Like any cloud data service, if it's valuable or important, encrypt it yourself. There is nothing stopping you doing this with Dropbox. I don't trust vendors who supply their own 'Java' tools for accomplishing this, I prefer industry standard tools, so Dropbox is perfect.
  • Tremendosaurus 6 Jul 2011 17:41:12 1,197 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've read the blog post, but I'm still not happy with the idea of them being able to access my data at will. My first instinct was to create a Truecrypt file in my Dropbox folder and keep everything in there, but apparently Dropbox will only sync that once it's closed - which is hardly practical. So I looked for an alternative.

I'm not trying to sway anyone, everybody wants something different from a service like this, just though I'd highlight this potential security hole.
  • oceanmotion 6 Jul 2011 17:45:23 15,641 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sure, whatever floats your boat. I don't put up anything worthwhile, just the odd computer drivers that I was lucky to find one day so nice to have it handy. Google and Facebook among others have that sort of we own anything you give us ToS.
  • Tremendosaurus 7 Jul 2011 08:39:03 1,197 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I use it for work and sharing programming projects with colleagues, which are either confidential or things that I'd prefer remain secure, so that's really why I need an alternative.

Similarly I don't upload anything to Google and don't have a Facebook account :)

It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you!
  • RedSparrows 7 Jul 2011 10:45:24 21,961 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well I am deleting all my DB content then. Shame.
  • Widge Moderator 14 Jul 2011 09:05:22 13,243 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just started out on this, but irritatingly the stuff I synced from home last night, Dropbox downloads at work and tries to re-upload as a duplicate... thereby shunting me over my limit.

Is there a way round this?

Also keeping an eye on Live Mesh for doing stuff like backing up Steam saved games as Dropbox requires you to dump everything it in. I think Mesh you can just select any folder around your PC.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• rock27gr 14 Jul 2011 09:27:04 5,560 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It shouldn't do that. Mine doesn't.
  • Widge Moderator 14 Jul 2011 09:36:54 13,243 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hm, I have submitted a ticket. We'll see what they say.

In addition, when my people at work have downloaded said file, I can delete it my end without deleting it their end? Share folders are what I'm using.

_ _ _

• Widge Moderator 25 Jan 2012 14:04:39 13,243 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm thinking about diving into the world of paying for one of these services. I want to be able to store a nice wadge of data on a folder that I can pick up at home, have my laptop pick up for work and also act as an archive for old files (as I noted today that Mediafire may delete old files at will on their free account).

Now Dropbox offer 50GB for $9.99pm, which isn't too massive in the face of something like MiMedia, which offers 250GB for the same amount (standard free account is a mighty 7GB too).

Anyone got any other recommened apps.

_ _ _

• Deleted user 25 January 2012 14:08:20
    insync or use Amazon S3, which is vastly cheaper.
  • coastal 25 Jan 2012 14:08:41 5,377 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Buy a pogoplug and connect it to an ext. hard drive at home. Pogoplugs at 50 new.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Rhythm 25 Jan 2012 14:12:16 2,462 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Box.net gives 50gb for free
  • Widge Moderator 25 Jan 2012 14:32:52 13,243 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh and I'm hoping for automatic file syncing here too!
    I'll check those suggestions at home!

_ _ _

• Widge Moderator 25 Jan 2012 18:08:23 13,243 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    Box.net gives 50gb for free
    5GB, $19.99 for 50!

_ _ _

• Page