The Budget Gaming PC thread Page 2

• Page

of 151 First / Last

• grey_matters 21 Jan 2010 23:00:16 3,763 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Go for it.
    It is fairly easy just make sure you look at a few tutorials and have another pc to post questions here or elsewhere if there is any problem. The first post is still reasonably ok, maybe with a 5770 and a bit more RAM if you could afford it but not totally necessary by any means.
  • LockeTribal 21 Jan 2010 23:07:03 4,515 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers g_m! I'll still have my trusty lappy beside should I fuck anything up :p Any tips or things I should be aware of before I do try building one?

Also, any alternatives to the motherboard you listed? I see it's out of stock on ebuyer at the moment, but I'm of the impression that they restock pretty regularly, yeah?
  • grey_matters 21 Jan 2010 23:26:26 3,763 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've just bought this for a tenner more. I haven't plugged a cpu into yet though so I don't know how good/bad it is. I went for this one largely due it being able to take 140w processors in case I wanted a 6-core cpu for rendering or something later but it'll probably just be the cpu from the OP for now.

As regards things you should be aware of, it'll depend on your confidence and/or expertise. There are loads of good tutorials around (though I don't know one to link to at the moment) so, after you think you know what components you'd like, have a look at at a relevant one and see what questions/doubts/fears it raises.
  • LockeTribal 21 Jan 2010 23:33:23 4,515 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers again g_m :) I've seen a few tutorials on the web, so need to take a better look at them before I do anything. As I say though, I literally have no expertise working with computer hardware, but I have a mate who knows the odd thing or two who said he'd give me a hand if he was able. Plus, the EG collective usually comes through in a pinch :D
  • grey_matters 21 Jan 2010 23:45:48 3,763 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, if you have an old PC to mess about with that might be a good idea. Disconnect power cord whenever you do anything to a PC. Also, get rid of static electricity that might have built up on you by grounding yourself on something (check the net for easy ways to to this) as the charge build up can damage components inside the PC. After that try disconnecting cables from DVD or hard drives (one at a time until you are used to what they look like so that you know exactly where they should go back to) and take out the RAM modules and put them back. Don't bother with cpu and cooler, they could be near fused together over time so there isn't much to learn as your new ones will be easily pulled apart if you need to take them out and the socket arrangement is likely to be different anyway. Have a look at the cables coming from the power supply too. It is all basic enough. Lego but with less options.
    :)
  • LockeTribal 21 Jan 2010 23:52:51 4,515 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    Lego but with less options.

All I needed to hear :D

Seriously though, thanks for all the advice! Think I'll open up the old Fujitsu we have in the attic tomorrow night and see if I can make sense of how it all goes together.
  • LockeTribal 23 Jan 2010 01:26:44 4,515 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Am I right in thinking that last mobo you linked to won't take DDR3 ram, g_m?
  • grey_matters 23 Jan 2010 01:53:23 3,763 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, good work! I have 4Gb DDR2 lying around from when it was cheap so it makes sense for me. Forgot that it isn't the case in the OP anymore. The 785-based AM3 motherboards (that take DDR3) still seem a good choice. Dunno which one to recommend though, sorry.
  • LockeTribal 23 Jan 2010 02:10:25 4,515 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No worries :) Had a wee shuftie to see what's what and I was able to find the original board you linked on dabs.ie for not too much more (considering the exchange rate).

Just pricing all the components, it seems it's coming to around 600 (added in a 5770 and a copy of Windows 7) which seems about right I suppose. Have to look for a monitor on top of that too. It's a fair bit of money, but probably a fair bit less than an equivalent off the shelf PC, yeah?
  • grey_matters 23 Jan 2010 03:12:31 3,763 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It seems a touch high. There might be somewhere that would match or beat that. EasyPc on eBay maybe. The choice of where the corners are being cut and future upgrade plans are usually as important as price for me when building. Value can be a different thing for different people.
  • LockeTribal 2 Feb 2010 22:51:35 4,515 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well I've got all my parts now (except for those fucking wee brass spacers that didn't come with the case!), hopefully start work on putting everything together tomorrow night. I do have one question though, if anyone can enlighten me. The motherboard came with two SATA cables - one with one end marked SATA and the other end marked HDD, and one with both ends marked SATA.

Will I be able to use the SATA/SATA cable to connect my optical drive to the mobo?
  • Deleted user 2 February 2010 22:52:34
    What bits did you get?
  • LockeTribal 2 Feb 2010 23:09:03 4,515 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is the optical drive. One of the cables look like this (I think) and the other looks like this.

EDIT: Oh and this is the mobo, if that helps.
  • Deleted user 2 February 2010 23:30:08
    k
  • LockeTribal 2 Feb 2010 23:33:46 4,515 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I basically bought all the parts listed in the OP, but went for an ATI 5770 graphics card :)
  • LockeTribal 3 Feb 2010 09:03:08 4,515 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So anyone able to help me out?
  • LockeTribal 3 Feb 2010 14:00:39 4,515 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sorry to keep bumping this, but I do need to know ASAP. Will a SATA/SATA cable connect my optical drive to my mobo correctly, or do I need another SATA/HDD cable?
  • LockeTribal 3 Feb 2010 14:20:33 4,515 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers Bloodkult ;) Thanks for the help.
  • Deleted user 4 February 2010 09:19:29
    OK, I've 300 for an upgrade and I need; RAM, CPU, Mobo & GPU.

Is it worth bothering with Quad cores? Nothing seems to take advantage of it yet. Any recommended shops to buy this shizzle from?

This worth looking at?
  • LockeTribal 4 Feb 2010 23:04:44 4,515 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sent you a PM g_m!
  • jellyhead 4 Feb 2010 23:30:58 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've no idea about the current processor arms race, Crispy but when i looked into it a year ago the recommendation was a faster dual was more use than a slower quad at the same price. I then went and bought a Q6600 2.4GHz OC'd to 3.2GHz from overclockers in a sale :) The i series was bloody expensive then.

Some games use quad cores, Lost Planet:Colonies for example, have a look about i'm sure there's more since i last checked. My thought was if the game hammers 2 cores then the OS has 2 cores to play with and the offer sealed it. Side effect is that some older games really don't like quads and need to have their affinity set in Task Manager. A pain but easily done.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• grey_matters 5 Feb 2010 00:06:09 3,763 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LockeTribal wrote:
    Sent you a PM g_m!
    Got it and replied.
  • Deleted user 5 February 2010 00:28:41
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 5 February 2010 00:29:37
    Phenomnomnom II x4 940

mobo

ram

Might have to up your budget to get a gfx card n'all. 300 quid isn't much to work with tbh.
  • Deleted user 5 February 2010 00:32:23
    although tbf this is the budget gaming pc thread but even so :p
  • jellyhead 5 Feb 2010 00:35:53 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago

As for a video card what res is your monitor?

This signature intentionally left blank.

• grey_matters 5 Feb 2010 00:36:24 3,763 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think Crispy wants an Intel as he heard there are some issues with AMD for MAME (you absolutely sure this is the case Crispy?). He might run into the same kind of problem with the i-series from Intel. If that is the case, his choice above is fine. A guaranteed overclock with a warranty isn't a bad thing at all. It might be a bit tough to find a quad core for that socket later and DDR2 is out of date (but only slightly slower depending on application) but it is a cheap enough upgrade and he could get a 5750 too maybe.
  • Deleted user 5 February 2010 00:38:24
    aye but you see the tools (money) i had to work with!

/checks i3 prices

brb
  • Deleted user 5 February 2010 00:45:28
    Post deleted
  • Page

of 151 First / Last