Ridley Scott's Prometheus (spoilers within) Page 93

• Page

of 116 First / Last

• silentbob 28 Jun 2012 21:35:56 28,976 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Folant wrote:
    So, in Alien, they enter that huge room with the space jockey and his enormous boner, in the seat, fossilised, etc...?

In Prometheus, he dies outside the surgical theatre on the human ship.

Unless I'm missing something? I didn't catch the bit where it's revealed they can multiply..?
    Ha. You fucking spaz!

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• stephenb 28 Jun 2012 22:30:18 2,742 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Folant

What silentbob is trying to say is your argument would hold merit if the space jockey or indeed the planet were the same ones from Alien.
    Which they aren't.

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• TarickStonefire 1 Jul 2012 12:43:54 3,133 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    There are a fair few plotholes throughout the other Alien films as well tbh.

1 - how does the company know about LV426 such that Ash is prepared to ensure the creature is preserved? It's only a beacon in the first place.

2 - Given the resources of WY, why divert an ore refinery? Didn't they know that it was another space jockey ship? If that's the case see above.

3 - Why is it mandatory to assist a distress signal when they are obviously unprepared and untrained. They almost crock the Nostromo landing, Kane stacks it in the alien ship etc.

4 - why does everyone assume Kane is fine after he wakes up?

5 - how many chinese walls are there in this company? The company knows about the Alien, then doesn't at Ripley's hearing, then Burke does?

6 - How big is LV426? The Jordans can't be too far away from the basecamp, yet they are somewhere completely unexplored?

7 - Why are there no dedicated Sulaco personnel?

8 - Why does Ripley have no problem with the living facehuggers in the tubes remaining alive? She was very clear earlier to Burke.

Obviously Prometheus is being held to a higher standard and regardless of that does have some serious plotholes, but it isn't like the series to date was penned by Wilkie Collins.
    My own take on those:

1 - Perhaps they don't and Ash is only activated in that respect (to preserve the xenomorph) once it becomes clear what they found.

2 - Presumably, no the company didn't know it was a Space Jockey ship, not at the time the Nostromo first detected the beacon anyway. Let's say that once Mother forwarded the beacon to WY, top men at the company realised what it was and sent instructions to Ash. After all, the Nostromo was alteady there, why draw attention or use resources by sending another ship? Just get the android to surreptitiously bring back a specimen.

3 - maybe it's just the rules of space travel; if you intercept a mayday, you must investigate.

4 - maybe because nobody has any reason to speculate theres a foetal alien gestating within - well, except Ash. Also, Kane does *appear* to be fine, by his own admission.

5 - The team that interrogate Ripley certainy claim not to believe her. I always assumed that most of them probably didn't. If there's someone in there that knows full well what she's on about, it doesn't seem unrealistic they'd want it kept quiet so they go along with discrediting her. I think it's very plausible that there's all manner of levels of secrecy at WY, and a need-to-know policy, same as with modern day corporate politics.

6 - Those scenes were cut from the theatrical release, perhaps for those reasons, but at the same time it's plausible that there was no reason to previously stray far from the base as the planet was, after all, largely uninhabitable until the terraforming really kicked in.

7 - Don't know, fair question though. Hadn't occurred to me before now!

8 - well, at the time they are on a planet infested with Aliens so maybe it doesn't seem like the thing to be focussing on, and also they're trapped inside medical glass tubes and up until later there's no reason to think anyone on the team is going to have an interest in setting them free. By the time it's obvious to Ripley that Burke has a hidden agenda I think everyone's a bit distracted to think, "ooh, we better go kill those things in the lab".

But yes it would have saved a lot of hassle if they had in the first place. ;)

Some of these questions are fair but some aren't that significant; I think you could pick holes the same size in many movies, even the greats - although as far as I'm concerned, Alien and Aliens are two of the greatest movies ever made (for different reasons).

Edited by TarickStonefire at 12:47:01 01-07-2012

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 1 Jul 2012 12:56:09 3,133 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Also I really liked Prometheus!

I do agree that there were some terrible elements: the idiotic crew that walk off and get themselves killed, who both completely deserved it, were far too stupid to be on the mission in the first place; how did they get lost when there was a map; why was Shaw's fella such a doofus; why was the captain so badly underused; who thought those two wisecracking wagering pilots were adding anything to the story; how did that Scottish scientists ridiculously wooden delivery get approval by Ridley Scott; the film feels all over the place in the latter half.

But when it comes to questions, stuff that's offered or suggested with no explanation within the running time, I like that. I'm happy for there to be a sequel so long as it all ties together. I like the mystery of why the Engineers came to Earth, why they created us, why they also wanted to send the black goo to us, how they got attacked by xenomorphs, whether there are other Engineers that don't want to kill us.

So overall there was enough Alien-y stuff for me to suspend a whole shitload of disbelief and enjoy the ride. It's such a shame that the script dumbed down in so many areas but the lore is keeping me hooked.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• damagedinc 1 Aug 2012 23:16:52 790 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Prometheus 2 virtually confirmed today, ridley apprently seeing out his vision. Will lindelof be onboard? states he may not be avalible.

Scot agreed his script and still hopeful DC will flesh out the plot and some of its holes. Hopefully more answers less questions.

Edited by damagedinc at 23:17:23 01-08-2012
  • CosmicFuzz 1 Aug 2012 23:22:33 24,584 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cool!

It's horror month over at SoundOnSight. Remember Condemned: Criminal Origins? Read my lookback!

• Khanivor 1 Aug 2012 23:23:28 40,860 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I really hope someone stops to think how silly this movie will be. Adventures of a loon and a robot head. Ace.
  • Deleted user 1 August 2012 23:25:02
    Put the robot head in a box, get another android onboard, then perhaps resurrect her dead bunkmate and you can have Red Dwarf - The Movie.
  • damagedinc 1 Aug 2012 23:27:25 790 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    I really hope someone stops to think how silly this movie will be. Adventures of a loon and a robot head. Ace.
    Haha heres ia hoping its a bit more than the moat fucked up buddy movie of all time.

Tbh prometheus has problema but at least it was bold in excecution and ideas. Something you rarely see in sci fi and summer blockbusters recently.
  • Khanivor 1 Aug 2012 23:27:40 40,860 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Someone needs to make a joke ending to Seven and post it on YouTube.
  • Khanivor 1 Aug 2012 23:29:52 40,860 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    damagedinc wrote:
    Tbh prometheus has problema but at least it was bold in excecution and ideas. Something you rarely see in sci fi and summer blockbusters recently.
    Not wanting to get into it but the only thing Prometheus really had going for it was that it looked phenomenal. Everything else was tainted with stupid, if not rammed so far up stupid's ass it would have taken weeks to map its way out.

It was bold to treat the audience like a bunch of fucking morons while pretending to be, well, competent.
  • WoodenSpoon 2 Aug 2012 00:00:40 12,285 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fassbender was good. I love Fassbender.
  • Phattso Moderator 2 Aug 2012 03:18:26 13,352 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I nipped in here on a random morning whim and managed to expose myself (ooo-er, etc. etc.) to a shedload of spoilers. My own fault, very clearly, as I haven't seen the film and know that when a movie has been out for ten minutes we, as a forum, tend to stop using spoiler tags.

But, nonetheless, I put a little note on the end of the thread title to warn off other retards like me. Carry on, you spoilerific fuckers.

/not bitter
  • LeoliansBro 2 Aug 2012 08:24:52 44,420 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd steer well clear of the Batman thread as well in that case.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• damagedinc 2 Aug 2012 09:55:04 790 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    I nipped in here on a random morning whim and managed to expose myself (ooo-er, etc. etc.) to a shedload of spoilers. My own fault, very clearly, as I haven't seen the film and know that when a movie has been out for ten minutes we, as a forum, tend to stop using spoiler tags.

But, nonetheless, I put a little note on the end of the thread title to warn off other retards like me. Carry on, you spoilerific fuckers.

/not bitter
    The film has been out for over two months lol
  • Gambit1977 2 Aug 2012 09:58:32 9,808 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Best bit of news regarding Prometheus 2...
    Lindelof is too busy to write it!!!!!! :D
  • Phattso Moderator 2 Aug 2012 10:13:15 13,352 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    damagedinc wrote:
    The film has been out for over two months lol
    Where I live the film has been out for less than a week. I'll just consider your mind blown by this information. Some people wait for home video releases also - so expecting a bit of spoiler tagging for a good long while isn't entirely in the realms of the unreasonable.

But regardless, I fully expected to get spoilered in here and I accept it's completely my own fault - the resetting of my expectations as a result of the whining in here is probably healthy and I'll enjoy the movie more. :)
  • LeoliansBro 2 Aug 2012 10:15:06 44,420 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If it helps, if you watch this film for the plot twists you'll be disappointed. If you watch it for the atmosphere and how beautifully shot it is you'll be happy.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• silentbob 2 Aug 2012 10:25:45 28,976 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ..but only if you wear earplugs to avoid the dialogue.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Whizzo 2 Aug 2012 10:30:59 43,160 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The biggest spoiler for the film is actually watching it.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Phattso Moderator 2 Aug 2012 10:37:49 13,352 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just want it to be an awesome sci-fi flick, so I can get an awesome sci-fi hardon and crank one out in the cinema. Seems like fucking ages since I saw a sci-fi film that pushed all the right buttons.
  • Whizzo 2 Aug 2012 10:39:07 43,160 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You're going to be disappointed then.

This space left intentionally blank.

• BinaryBob101 2 Aug 2012 12:44:52 23,183 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Not necessarily, there's two camps in this thread.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• HisDudness 2 Aug 2012 16:25:54 989 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Beggars can't be choosers...

Can't really think of a better recent sci-fi. Maybe something small budget that I missed.
  • BinaryBob101 2 Aug 2012 16:29:11 23,183 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Moon.

District 9.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• RobAnybody 2 Aug 2012 16:34:54 902 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    ..but only if you wear earplugs to avoid the dialogue.
    Or just turn the volume down - you can then also avoid assaulting your eardrums with the very bland score.
  • HisDudness 2 Aug 2012 16:39:23 989 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Moon.

District 9.
    Moon was great. Didn't see District 9. Both of those were 3 years ago...
  • nickthegun 2 Aug 2012 16:40:47 60,161 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• BinaryBob101 2 Aug 2012 16:40:59 23,183 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's pretty recent.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• kalel 2 Aug 2012 16:48:42 87,933 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You can add Inception, Cloverfield, The Road, Star Trek, and possible Avatar to the list depending on what you define as sci-fi and recent.
  • Page

of 116 First / Last