Ridley Scott's Prometheus (spoilers within) Page 92

• Page

of 116 First / Last

• damagedinc 21 Jun 2012 14:46:28 772 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sweetmrgibs. I think they were more trying to establish if they had to spend half an hour kitting up getting air etc etc. Or if they could just walk to it in board shorts and vests.

That and it not being a research vessle may have only been able to do a atmosphere read out whilst on the planet itself. Limited range etc
  • askew 21 Jun 2012 14:47:35 12,289 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Heh.
  • PearOfAnguish 21 Jun 2012 16:58:46 7,305 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Peter Watts has done a fairly brutal dismemberment of the crap story.
  • RobAnybody 21 Jun 2012 22:47:13 896 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    I like that. :)
  • silentbob 21 Jun 2012 23:06:53 28,975 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SweetMrGibs wrote:
    I hear what you're saying about a lot of the other characters being 'background noise', but I don't necessarily see it as a big problem. As long as you have several to emphathise with/relate too, it's fine to have a bit of cannon fodder.
    There weren't any. At all. Nada. The film was a vacuum of personality and character.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• disusedgenius 21 Jun 2012 23:11:16 5,333 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I actually quite liked the not-Tom-Hardy guy, for some reason. I thought the actor did a good job, despite not having much to work out with. Oh and David, obviously, he was clearly the big-hitter in it all. Idris Elba gets a free pass for being from The Wire and whoever played Shaw did certainly did if for me, despite the grating character.
  • yegon 22 Jun 2012 11:25:37 5,278 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The only character that really grated with me was the scottish bird, the delivery of her lines, crikey, I've rarely seen worse.
  • askew 22 Jun 2012 11:26:54 12,289 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, she was pretty stilted :s
  • Weebleboy 22 Jun 2012 11:32:24 368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    The only character that really grated with me was the scottish bird, the delivery of her lines, crikey, I've rarely seen worse.
    She was awful, which is strange as she's great in other things (Red Road). She hardly had anything to say/do either, but I suspect that's because a lot of her performance ended up on the cutting room floor.
  • yegon 22 Jun 2012 11:36:48 5,278 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Weebleboy wrote:
    yegon wrote:
    She was awful, which is strange as she's great in other things (Red Road). She hardly had anything to say/do either, but I suspect that's because a lot of her performance ended up on the cutting room floor.
    Yeah, I've seen her in other stuff, can't remember what, and she was fine. In this though, wow. It was almost as if they inserted her lines in post production, sounded like a a low budget videogame.
  • Whizzo 22 Jun 2012 11:45:41 43,133 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    It's very good indeed.

The line about a lazy dungeonmaster was a bit close to home though, I only did that once because I was running short of time. :-P

This space left intentionally blank.

• PearOfAnguish 25 Jun 2012 15:23:33 7,305 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Steven Berkoff does a pretty good impression of Guy Pearce in Prometheus: http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/steven-berkoff

• evild_edd 26 Jun 2012 12:54:11 3,115 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hello, my name's David....

*touch, touch, touch*

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Deleted user 27 June 2012 23:25:54
    i come in here to have a look after just coming home from the cinema.. now going to leave and not come back before my head explodes.
  • silentbob 28 Jun 2012 00:10:24 28,975 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Particularly pertinent to this thread:

Of course, those who champion the film donít do so on the basis of its science. Itís not about the science, they would say, itís about the Big Questions. (I wonder how such folks would react if the producers of Master & Commander had followed the same logic, decided that since the heart of the story was the human relationships, why not just let Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany bob around the tropics in Water Wings and not worry about all that nineteenth-century nautical trivia?) I admit to half the point; I admit that Prometheus is not a movie especially interested in science. I do not concede, however, that it is a movie about Big Questions: that would put it into the realm of philosophy, and the script lacks anywhere near sufficient rigor to qualify on that score. Philosophy does more than throw a bunch of what-ifs at the wall and leave them sticking there like overcooked pasta. It doesnít just raise questions, it engages them. It grapples. Prometheus just takes its what-ifs and stuffs them into a hundred-million-dollar fortune cookie.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• disusedgenius 28 Jun 2012 00:23:46 5,333 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nah.
  • Deleted user 28 June 2012 00:38:11
    Contains spoilers!

Its biggest question is around life and death. I think it tackles it quite well to some degree- whether its the idea of creationism , the humans tackling there own fear of death, shaw literally conceiving and abortioning a life inside her, and having to confront death when holloway bites it, and the android tackling ideas of humannity.

I think the film loses the grip of the debate about halfway through, but its there but similariy like Alien its attention shifts to finish the movie, and to be a film. Alien series is principally about motherhood, but the film can contain that because its subject is the heroine of the film. We can feel every impulse ripley has.

If Prom.. went all out philosphical/debate there be nothing there for the ALIEN fans, or more so the people that go into a cinema who want too see people blowing aliens heads off and be scared/jumped along the way. Its finding that balance, and in that, we have a film about the big dudes in ALIEN, and a story of the origins of franchise (i quite liked that last clip, the pollenation of those spieces directly results in the alien) with ideas of God, creationism and life and death.

I avoided all trailers/reviews (bar the first teaser) of the film so knew nothing really about it, i came out really enjoying it, sure theres a few niggles, but because of the franchise and the hype that surrounded this fim, some one is going to always deconstruct and approach it without just watching it or enjoying it. I'm not saying that wrong, but its clearly a much better film then 85% of the dross that is released, i don't think its warrants the attacks it is recieving. This films asks questions, and it attempts to engage people on a adult level. Its not about being intellgient or philosphical, its just about treating people as normal human beings and allowing them to engage in the film as much as they want.

The film major Problem is though, its clearly a 3 part film, and theres no sight of the bigger picture. I do wish though that they just decide to make a film and not have a underwhelming ending just so it can be wrought out in the next film. But really enjoyed it, impressed with it, and glad i went to the cinema to watch it. Director of photography and the score deserve special praise. both awesome.

Edited by joelstinton at 00:39:54 28-06-2012

Edited by joelstinton at 00:57:34 28-06-2012
  • Dirtbox 28 Jun 2012 01:04:01 78,221 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    People are still talking about this brainless, summer blockbuster diversion?

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Folant 28 Jun 2012 01:38:19 1,182 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So, in Alien, they enter that huge room with the space jockey and his enormous boner, in the seat, fossilised, etc...?

In Prometheus, he dies outside the surgical theatre on the human ship.

Unless I'm missing something? I didn't catch the bit where it's revealed they can multiply..?

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• Khanivor 28 Jun 2012 04:53:04 40,782 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Same venue, different song.
  • dunny 28 Jun 2012 08:40:09 445 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Folant

I don't think the engineer who dies in Prometheus is the same one in Alien. There is more story t
    o be filled in. But the birth of the xenomorph is obviously significant and will likely play into any sequel.

David mentions 'other ships' on the planet (in addition to the one Shaw escapes in). Maybe that means more engineers in stasis for the xenomorph to find?
  • S.J.Rogers 28 Jun 2012 08:47:37 3,557 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Folant wrote:
    So, in Alien, they enter that huge room with the space jockey and his enormous boner, in the seat, fossilised, etc...?

In Prometheus, he dies outside the surgical theatre on the human ship.

Unless I'm missing something? I didn't catch the bit where it's revealed they can multiply..?
    Prometheus is set in LV223... NOT LV426...!!!

Not the same ship, moon, alien..!
  • RobAnybody 28 Jun 2012 09:35:35 896 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've now decided that Prometheus is a reboot of the Alien franchise.

It's the only way to make sense of all the inconsistencies and retconning.
  • disusedgenius 28 Jun 2012 09:39:03 5,333 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Retconning?
  • Folant 28 Jun 2012 09:39:39 1,182 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Right, ok, yeah, my bad for not paying enough attention. Lol

Film ain't that great, but hopefully the Director's Cut can fill in all those HUGE GAPING HOLES. Feels like it's only half a film.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• nickthegun 28 Jun 2012 09:42:35 59,968 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• RobAnybody 28 Jun 2012 12:33:09 896 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Retconning?
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/retcon
  • disusedgenius 28 Jun 2012 12:38:53 5,333 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll rephrase:

What retcons?
  • Whizzo 28 Jun 2012 12:55:24 43,133 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Retconning doesn't apply to stories set chronologically before earlier produced ones.

Shite foreshadowing would be more appropriate.

Edited by Whizzo at 12:56:53 28-06-2012

This space left intentionally blank.

• SweetMrGibs 28 Jun 2012 20:47:47 20 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Whenever I read the thread title, I read it as "Ridley Scott *is* Prometheus".

He's not, by the way.

Edited by SweetMrGibs at 20:50:36 28-06-2012
  • Page

of 116 First / Last