Tomb Raider 9 / reboot Page 3

• Page

of 78 First / Last

• ecu 3 Mar 2010 15:40:36 77,232 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    superflyninja wrote:
    bah ANOTHER tomb raider without Croft manor to fully explore. Remember locking the butler in the freezer? sigh fun times.

Eh? The manor is kinda boring. Locking the butler in the freezer is good for nostalgia only, go back and play it now. It's very dated.
  • Deleted user 3 March 2010 15:47:52
    Story deleted. Destructoid lack of balls confirmed.
  • Nexus_6 3 Mar 2010 15:48:45 3,894 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone got a link to the picture posted above?
  • ecu 3 Mar 2010 15:50:58 77,232 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The story is still there, the link was wrong. This is it.

Destructoid is one of the few places around that actually does have balls.
  • Bloodloss 3 Mar 2010 15:55:23 4,499 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I also have really wanted to explore the manor in anew Tomb Raider game for ages. No idea why really, but it was just cool jumping around it and going out into the courtyard and messing around with the butler etc. I'm a big fan of mansions as settings.
  • ecu 3 Mar 2010 15:56:25 77,232 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fuck the manor, I'd rather have a decent main game. Uncharted 2 was amazing without being able to run around Nathan Drake's house.
  • superflyninja 3 Mar 2010 15:59:05 473 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    well TR underworld was teh aces!!!

Put away those firey biscuits

• Machetazo 3 Mar 2010 15:59:08 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    must have not c&p'd the full url after all the times I got the error message.
  • ecu 3 Mar 2010 16:04:00 77,232 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    superflyninja wrote:

Eh.. almost. I do like all the new Tomb Raiders, but they're not not quite there.
  • superflyninja 3 Mar 2010 16:05:03 473 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    superflyninja wrote:

Eh.. almost.
    well bar the woeful mansion, i thought underworld was very good.looked great and some nice puzzles as i recall.

Put away those firey biscuits

• Deleted user 3 March 2010 16:07:04
    ecureuil wrote:

And rampant idiocy.
  • ecu 3 Mar 2010 16:11:01 77,232 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It had some great bits in it, some parts were not so good. The bits like having to shoot all those little spiders and bats and things like that really frustrated. It's just not necessary.

They have an extra problem now in that Uncharted does everything Tomb Raider does, only better. Uncharted has a grasp on the combat in particular, so I think there's an opportunity for Tomb Raider to scale that right back, maybe just give her a pistol or something and focus on the platforming aspect that they're so good at. I'm assuming that from a developers point of view, combat is an easy way to bulk up the length of the game.
  • Deleted user 3 March 2010 16:11:08
    superflyninja wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    superflyninja wrote:

Eh.. almost.
    well bar the woeful mansion, i thought underworld was very good.looked great and some nice puzzles as i recall.

The boat levels were dreadful too. As was the final level. Aside from that it was pretty enjoyable though.
  • ecu 3 Mar 2010 16:11:33 77,232 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:

And rampant idiocy.

Alright, well I like Destructoid, let's not bring another thread down with this discussion.
  • Scimarad 3 Mar 2010 16:20:50 8,596 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Fuck the manor, I'd rather have a decent main game. Uncharted 2 was amazing without being able to run around Nathan Drake's house.

Somehow I suspect Nathan Drake's house might be slightly smaller...
  • RetardStrong 3 Mar 2010 16:23:36 3,229 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Could be interesting if they add some MGS 3 type of survival elements like gathering food, setting traps, etc.
  • ecu 3 Mar 2010 16:24:36 77,232 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Except they'll probably cock it up and make it unfathomably boring and tedious.
  • Quint2020 3 Mar 2010 16:34:11 3,484 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:

Bigger boobs or GTFO.
  • Deleted user 3 March 2010 16:36:38
    Take out all but two or three of the baddies like the first (and still the only great) one.
  • WinterSnowblind 3 Mar 2010 16:43:27 1,247 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The TR games have been pretty good since Crystal Dynamics took over. Anniversary had too many QTE's and Underworld was woefully short and clearly unfinished. But they nailed the puzzle and exploration segments..

All they needed was a more cohesive combat system. This sounds very interesting, but it seems like the puzzle elements may have been completely lost, in favour of a more Uncharted style game.
  • Machetazo 4 Mar 2010 11:03:27 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
  • Deleted user 4 March 2010 11:07:18
    Digital Download (only?), doesn't seem too ambitious.
  • Machetazo 4 Mar 2010 11:09:19 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not a Tomb Raider, though. So, I disagree entirely. I think it's very ambitious, and I'm now really interested to see where CD are going with this.

Also: Facebook fun. ;) That fan must have been totally freaking out, after reading that, lol.
  • twoism 4 Mar 2010 11:38:27 181 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmm... they might as well use a different character altogether, if this open-world survival horror stuff turns out to be true.
  • Machetazo 4 Mar 2010 11:45:21 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Perhaps they rejected the idea of "what would Lara do?", and instead, went towards "what would you do if you were Lara", which then got them to thinking about what Lara equates to as a character, and we have this outcome.
    Remember too, that delivery methods tend to be chosen based on the best way to present the game.
  • WinterSnowblind 4 Mar 2010 12:00:52 1,247 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well if they are moving away from the puzzle solving/tomb element the series has (or at least was supposed to) be about, then I'm actually glad they've changed the name.

Lara Croft has always been more iconic than the game itself, so dropping the TR name is definitely the right move in my opinion. Now I'm mostly worried about the fact it's episodic/DLC. It works great for some games.. I'm a huge supporter of Telltales episodic Sam & Max, and Monkey Island series' it works fantasticaly for them.

So I'd hope it's done in that sort of style, rather than paying 1200 MS points for the first few levels, then having to pay more and more for the rest.
  • jellyhead 4 Mar 2010 12:07:12 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'll be watching with wary enthusiasm and expecting to be crushingly disappointed at every step. Fingers crossed they don't balls this one up. Can't wait for more concrete news about where they're heading with this franchise now.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• matrim83 4 Mar 2010 12:38:33 5,597 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh new formatting in the forum. I like.

Anyway I hope its 2d like Shadow complex. It could be great.

Valar morghulis.

• ecu 4 Mar 2010 13:36:56 77,232 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well well well, I didn't expect this. I have a feeling I'm not going to like this.
  • Page

of 78 First / Last