Tomb Raider 9 / reboot Page 15

  • Page

    of 76 First / Last

  • santashi 18 Jan 2013 18:47:54 4,931 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I don't think I need a multiplayer, actually. So many games have multiplayer included these days but for some reason I still get surprised when it's announced.

    PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

  • Dr.Haggard 18 Jan 2013 20:11:51 4,087 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is it me or do the characters not appear to have any weight to them? Maybe the animation speeds have been tweaked for gameplay reasons, but that's left the characters looking all slow and detached.

    My first reaction is that it just looks like a pretty shoddy imitation of Uncharted multiplayer. I don't understand why they felt the need to do that. If this is true about wanting a way to remain in the world then why not put the effort into something more fitting, like some kind of post-campaign free play mode?

    Sure it might be more difficult, especially since the whole open world idea got chucked, but surely that would be infinitely more appreciated than a rubbish deathmatch mode no one will play.

    If Tomb Raider players have a desire to stay in the world after the single player game is over then surely it's as a single player. It's not a desire to run about in a tiny map with other players chucking fucking petrol cans at each other.
  • Spong 18 Jan 2013 20:31:07 524 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    If Tomb Raider players have a desire to stay in the world after the single player game is over then surely it's as a single player. It's not a desire to run about in a tiny map with other players chucking fucking petrol cans at each other.
    Amen.
  • Spong 19 Jan 2013 01:36:21 524 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thought I'd post this here for anyone interested, the 360 achievements list has been leaked.

    http://exophase.com/game/tomb-raider-xbox/achievements/

    I'd say beware of spoilers, but weirdly there's none there. Normally a game has a smattering of "progression" achievements, awarded purely for progress through the story. TR9 has none, apart from one for completing the game. The rest are all associated with grinding, upgrading and stupid tricks pulled off during combat. Makes me question the longevity of the single-player game (even more than I already do). And fifteen of the achievements are set aside for their shitty multiplayer.

    Also, there's a FeeFee the crab achievement, something the crèche at TRF is currently going nuts over because it was a nickname dreamed up there ages ago.

    Edited by Spong at 01:42:02 19-01-2013
  • jellyhead 29 Jan 2013 11:18:45 24,350 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Square-Enix - Like Final Fantasy? Buy Tomb Raider!

    0_o

    This signature intentionally left blank.

  • ecureuil 16 Feb 2013 01:25:42 76,020 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Too much?
  • Spong 16 Feb 2013 02:05:34 524 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    Square-Enix - Like Final Fantasy? Buy Tomb Raider!

    0_o
    Taking a punt has got to be better than no punt at all. Either that or SquEnix is getting desperate.


    ecureuil wrote:
    Too much?
    Nah, the middle-teen boys love all that shit. OTT violence and heavily scripted Hollywood run & gun action, it's the winning formula that Tomb Raider has been using for sixteen years.
  • ecureuil 16 Feb 2013 02:31:52 76,020 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    People have been wanking over Tomb Raider for years. Hell, they even released a one-handed PS1 controller especially for Tomb Raider.
  • Deleted user 16 February 2013 08:30:17
    Watched the ten minute walk through video on Xbox dashboard. Although in a way it looked amazing it also looked like a 3rd person shooter and not an adventure game. God awful ai to. Will still get though as Lara is all kinds of awesome.
  • mikew1985 16 Feb 2013 08:35:48 12,050 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So is this looking nothing at all like what they originally announced as a sort free form adventure puzzle game with strong survival elements? Instead its uncharted: lara Croft? That's disappointing
  • CosmicFuzz 16 Feb 2013 09:12:29 21,241 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think Uncharted: Lara Croft sounds ace!

    What's your thoughts on Heroes Reborn? Read my TV musings here.

  • King_Edward 16 Feb 2013 09:19:55 11,454 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    But with more Quick Time Events.
  • Gambit1977 16 Feb 2013 09:39:41 9,560 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    So is this looking nothing at all like what they originally announced as a sort free form adventure puzzle game with strong survival elements? Instead its uncharted: lara Croft? That's disappointing
    Indeed. Although not surprising at all.
  • Spong 16 Feb 2013 09:40:17 524 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    So is this looking nothing at all like what they originally announced as a sort free form adventure puzzle game with strong survival elements? Instead its uncharted: lara Croft? That's disappointing
    Crystal weren't fucking about when they made the initial announcement years ago with the statement "forget everything you know about Tomb Raider". Clearly, that's what they did with TR9 (not that Legend, Anni or Underworld really made it appear as if they knew about TR in the first place). There's barely a shred of what Tomb Raider used to be in the reboot. It's all about the bullshit story now, putting Lara on a pedestal, and blowing shit up. Just look at the list of trophies/achievements to get a flavour of what the game's about.
  • jellyhead 16 Feb 2013 10:12:04 24,350 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, it's a bargain bin or sales purchase for me i'm afraid. At least by then i'll know whether the game is one i'll like or not.

    This signature intentionally left blank.

  • Syrette 16 Feb 2013 10:15:22 41,833 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rent it mate.

  • jellyhead 16 Feb 2013 10:20:59 24,350 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DOH! I'm so used to PC gaming i forget about having a 360!

    / facepalm

    This signature intentionally left blank.

  • CosmicFuzz 16 Feb 2013 12:51:39 21,241 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't understand. Are people not planning on buying it because it's not like the old tomb raider games? So what? As long as it's a good game, does it matter?

    Uncharted: Lara Croft honestly sounds fucking great,I love Uncharted.

    What's your thoughts on Heroes Reborn? Read my TV musings here.

  • Spong 16 Feb 2013 13:43:02 524 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    I don't understand. Are people not planning on buying it because it's not like the old tomb raider games? So what? As long as it's a good game, does it matter?
    As a long-time fan, it matters a lot because there's next to nothing in TR9 that justifies using the Tomb Raider name. And no, having Lara Croft in it certainly doesn't make it a Tomb Raider. If Crystal had replaced Lara and named the game as something new, I'd have zero complaints. I still wouldn't have bought it anyway because it looks like mind-numbing shit, but at least it wouldn't be the stain on Tomb Raider that it currently represents.
  • ecureuil 16 Feb 2013 13:48:09 76,020 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How are they supposed to make it like Tomb Raider yet make it different? The story and gameplay are really old and tired now.

    And I don't see how it's a "stain on Tomb Raider" when it looks better than most Tomb Raider games. Unless you're happy with every Tomb Raider being mediocre and you're now disappointed that they've gone and made it good again.
  • King_Edward 16 Feb 2013 13:53:43 11,454 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If it had a demo I'd give it a go.
  • spindle9988 16 Feb 2013 13:55:54 3,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think it looks good. Day one for me
  • riceNpea 16 Feb 2013 14:04:33 592 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    i love pre-judging things. saves lots of unnecessary time having to formalise an opinion. here goes...

    this isn't Tomb Raider. it's a travesty that belittles it's heritage and i wouldn't even buy it if were given away free with crisps. having said that i think it's looks like an interesting departure from the usual Tomb Raider offerings, a more adult, story led adventure in line with the darker current trends of gaming and i will be pre-ordering it and the DLC.
  • ecureuil 16 Feb 2013 14:06:08 76,020 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We do actually know things about this game.
  • riceNpea 16 Feb 2013 14:10:26 592 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @ecureuil

    yes, yes but i'm not letting facts get in the way of my joke. now stop humiliating me. i feel bad because i haven't even paid you for it.
  • Spong 16 Feb 2013 14:13:52 524 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    How are they supposed to make it like Tomb Raider yet make it different? The story and gameplay are really old and tired now.
    The story is something I never cared for, and something Core never cared for until they lost the plot with AoD. But Crystal have been all about the story, all about putting Lara front & centre while ignoring the simple fact that the levels and the player's exploration of them is originally what made the series so great. They seem to have latched on to the fact Lara was once an icon and have forgotten the reason why she was an icon. She wouldn't have been anything if the games were shit, which is where Crystal are at now.


    ecureuil wrote:
    And I don't see how it's a "stain on Tomb Raider" when it looks better than most Tomb Raider games.
    Graphics mean nothing. But assuming you're being more general when you say "looks better", that's purely subjective. Tomb Raider, to me, entails slow exploration of places lost in time, convoluted and awe inspiring level layouts, isolation, puzzle-solving. TR9 has none of that, it's just a cinematic gun-fest.


    ecureuil wrote:Unless you're happy with every Tomb Raider being mediocre and you're now disappointed that they've gone and made it good again.
    It's not about wanting it to stay mediocre, it's about sticking with a very well-established precedent, it's about keeping the integrity of what Tomb Raider always was. Crystal have tried to make Tomb Raider games, failed three times, now they've thrown the book away and just churning out any old shit. TR9 looks like a firework display of a game, like a jumped up toy commercial.
  • Stranded87 16 Feb 2013 14:14:58 768 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    How are they supposed to make it like Tomb Raider yet make it different? The story and gameplay are really old and tired now.

    And I don't see how it's a "stain on Tomb Raider" when it looks better than most Tomb Raider games. Unless you're happy with every Tomb Raider being mediocre and you're now disappointed that they've gone and made it good again.
    I wouldn't pay much heed to Spong. His feelings on the franchise more than flirt with the ridiculous. He apparently 'abandoned' the franchise two months ago on the basis of one game that he hasn't even played and didn't know much about and apparently Tomb Raider Anniversary doesn't demonstrate an understanding of what Tomb Raider is despite being...Tomb Raider.
  • Page

    of 76 First / Last

Log in or register to reply