Tomb Raider 9 / reboot Page 8

• Page

of 78 First / Last

• Pinky_Floyd 31 Dec 2010 00:51:36 8,093 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's weird, but Tomb raider never appears in greatest games lists. I have a fantastic memory of getting it and not being able to put it down all weekend until completed.

Yes, I know the controls were shonky but the puzzles, atmosphere, scale of tombs and graphics were undeniably superb.

They've forever been chasing their tail ever since. Surely it can't be THAT hard to distill the magic that made the first game great, then just make another.

History laughs at me though.
  • Pinky_Floyd 31 Dec 2010 00:51:49 8,093 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's weird, but Tomb raider never appears in greatest games lists. I have a fantastic memory of getting it and not being able to put it down all weekend until completed.

Yes, I know the controls were shonky but the puzzles, atmosphere, scale of tombs and graphics were undeniably superb.
    %0
  • ecu 31 Dec 2010 01:31:04 77,103 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It was the atmosphere that made Tomb Raider so amazing. I have fonder memories of the second game, for some reason, even though I preferred the first. The first level in the cave, Venice, the level on the sunken boat, all extremely memorable. The music played a huge part in this.
  • Deleted user 31 December 2010 02:17:05
    I have a lot of fond memories of The Last Revelation, partly because it was during the height of my obsession with Egypt and perhaps even partly the cause of it. TR2 though was surely the best, the atmosphere was perfected, the controls easier to use and the overuse of human enemies was but a twinkle in Core's eye. To be fair to Core though I never thought their games were too heavy on human foes, it was Crystal Dynamics that did that. The moment the game demanded that I kill two guards at the beginning of Legend because they had the cheek to be in the general vicinity is in hindsight an indicator of the worrying trends that games would follow. Still liked the game though when it wasn't asking me to kill people. I think TR3 has been unfairly maligned when being looked back upon.
  • ecu 31 Dec 2010 02:31:06 77,103 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I enjoyed TR3 as well, but I never finished it because it got really hard towards the end. Seem to remember having to fight a giant mechanical spider or something. Couldn't be arsed.
  • Derblington 31 Dec 2010 02:44:40 21,947 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No, TR2 started going heavy with the human enemies, it was only the original (and maybe the remake) that got that balance correct.

2, specifically the underwater ship, is probably my most memorable too.
  • Deleted user 31 December 2010 02:44:43
    Yeah I couldn't be arsed either so it can't have been that good...I was only 11 though.

The balance was probably perfect in the first but I never thought at any point in TR2 or 3 that the number of enemies at any one time was OTT like it was in Legend. There were a lot throughout the games but it was only ever a few at a time. I might be looking back a little too fondly though, TR2 was the first PC game I ever played apart from Myst and Pipe Dream.
  • Machetazo 31 Dec 2010 12:08:56 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Impressive screens gallery continues Game Informer's month of Tomb Raider coverage.

edit: in fact, there's yet more content up their sleeves! :o
  • SomaticSense 31 Dec 2010 12:29:45 8,786 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    chimneyleaf wrote:
    I have a lot of fond memories of The Last Revelation, partly because it was during the height of my obsession with Egypt and perhaps even partly the cause of it. TR2 though was surely the best, the atmosphere was perfected, the controls easier to use and the overuse of human enemies was but a twinkle in Core's eye. To be fair to Core though I never thought their games were too heavy on human foes, it was Crystal Dynamics that did that. The moment the game demanded that I kill two guards at the beginning of Legend because they had the cheek to be in the general vicinity is in hindsight an indicator of the worrying trends that games would follow. Still liked the game though when it wasn't asking me to kill people. I think TR3 has been unfairly maligned when being looked back upon.

Tomb Raider 2 had tons of human enemies though.

It was also had one of the worst designed levels in gaming history as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj8AEjjS9g8&feature=related
  • Freek 31 Dec 2010 12:39:27 7,687 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    moriss wrote:
    Machetazo wrote:
    Not so muddy girls face
    huh, i prefered the one that wasnt caked in totally-inappropriate-to-the-character eye makeup n lip gloss!

Just because you're shipwrecked on a mysteriouse island full of horrors doesn't mean you can let yourself go ;)
  • the_dudefather 31 Dec 2010 13:12:10 9,341 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    remember how shockingly bad teenage Lara looked?

the horror...

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• lovely2cu 31 Dec 2010 13:29:55 1,194 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    All I need from this are 8 giant brain bending tombs. Huge in scale with good puzzles. The odd beastie, but no other humans.
    Same, but I'm not holding my breath..

chimneyleaf wrote:
    I have a lot of fond memories of The Last Revelation
    Same, I remember it having a real sense of scale and isolation.
  • Ultrasoundwave 12 Jan 2011 12:59:23 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    New stills released

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Machetazo 18 Apr 2011 14:44:41 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I hope they're going to show more on this soon. Lots of people are talking about their games for this year, except CD, but they're amongst the ones I'm most eager to talk!
    There's a TR Fan's questionnaire added to the Official site, so take that survey and add whatever feedback you might have, if you want to have your thoughts taken in to account.
  • ecu 18 Apr 2011 14:51:49 77,103 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I guess we'll be seeing a lot of it at E3.
  • ecu 30 Apr 2011 12:08:22 77,103 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tons of new info about the game.
  • Tomo 30 Apr 2011 13:36:35 13,955 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds very interesting actually. I haven't played a Tomb Raider game since er... Tomb Raider (Lara Croft excluded). I'm intrigued by this.
  • Duffking 30 Apr 2011 13:40:25 7,399 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    'teenager just out of university'

what
  • M83J01P97 30 Apr 2011 13:45:18 6,674 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like all the stuff about her being more human and less 'super hero' like... then there was this:

Lara has a “Survival Instinct”. By pressing a button you can activate a special view which will put a different colour to “interesting” elements in the environment: the background and non relevant objects will be shown in shades of grey and the clues in yellow. That way you’ll be able to follow traces normally invisible to the eye. For example, wolf footprints could lead you to a med-kit. When you reach it, one of those animals might attack you.

Very realistic that... and not at all ripped out of Batman: AA.
  • Machetazo 30 Apr 2011 13:46:48 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd have liked to have seen new media online. That cover, is that it, or did those magazines also provide new screens with the details?
  • CosmicFuzz 30 Apr 2011 13:51:11 25,033 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Really looking forward to this.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• Benno 30 Apr 2011 13:53:47 10,116 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    I like all the stuff about her being more human and less 'super hero' like... then there was this:

Lara has a “Survival Instinct”. By pressing a button you can activate a special view which will put a different colour to “interesting” elements in the environment: the background and non relevant objects will be shown in shades of grey and the clues in yellow. That way you’ll be able to follow traces normally invisible to the eye. For example, wolf footprints could lead you to a med-kit. When you reach it, one of those animals might attack you.

taken from assassins creed really

it sounds pretty good from that write up
  • Machetazo 30 Apr 2011 14:18:04 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    M83J01P97 wrote:

taken from assassins creed really

it sounds pretty good from that write up
    Key difference, perhaps, that you can't use it while moving. I really hope it's used in a way that doesn't break immersion. I agree that the game shows promise, from that impression.
  • Benno 30 Apr 2011 14:25:31 10,116 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    i'd rather it not be there to be honest, but the rest of the game sounds solid
  • matrim83 30 Apr 2011 14:40:04 5,590 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hopefully its not mandatory to use it. Maybe on of the highest difficulties has it disabled by default.

Valar morghulis.

• Deleted user 30 April 2011 14:50:14
    This sounds a lot like Metal Gear 3 so far with its focus on survival, ive read the latest info on neogaf and there seems to be a worrying empahsis on QTE's which im concerned about. The magazines have the exclusives for the time being btw.
  • M83J01P97 30 Apr 2011 14:52:43 6,674 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just think a Tom Raider game without any kind of gimmicks would be a lot more awesome. Just have a Lara Croft who is trying to survive through a series of ancient ruins or something along those lines without any kind of super hero quirks to get her through it.
  • Deleted user 30 April 2011 14:55:30
    Lots of great games have QTEs in them, its a shame as its not needed imo and there are better, more inventive ways of doing it but not going to let it distract from the core gameplay which sounds really promising.

Might actually go media blackout on this now, already sold on it so I only need to see a final release date at E3 to know whether its late 2011 or early next year.
  • Deleted user 30 April 2011 14:58:48
    I hope Square do one of those CGI trailers like they did for Deus EX HR.
  • JoeBlade 30 Apr 2011 17:17:58 2,592 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Tons of new info about the game.
    The "author" of that "article" really likes "quotes", doesn't (s)he.
  • Page

of 78 First / Last