• Humperfunk 10 Mar 2013 13:04:11 2,488 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RAAAAAR!!

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• StaffyDog 10 Mar 2013 13:06:05 278 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This Tomb Raider and all the talk of Uncharted, makes me want to play the series again.
  • khaz 10 Mar 2013 13:08:38 2,826 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    StaffyDog wrote:
    This Tomb Raider and all the talk of Uncharted, makes me want to play the series again.
    The first game has aged horribly. Avoid.

The second and third game still have some legs. Actually, just the second one.
  • Stranded87 10 Mar 2013 13:14:37 1,003 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I kind of wish that they'd had way fewer enemies but made them all much more of a threat- e.g one or two hit kills and much slower health regeneration, meaning that you have to rely on stealth a lot more. I don't buy that this version of Lara can slaughter hundreds of mercenaries, so doing it that way would draw me in more.

Also I like that it's a bit metroidvania-ish but wish they'd gone even further in that direction with back tracking and exploring- or made it fully open world (albeit with some areas blocked off/still requiring certain gear) and made it more of a survival game where you actually need to hunt for food and stuff.

I'm still enjoying the game that I got though.
  • Robes 10 Mar 2013 13:15:32 149 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm currently playing the first one. It's good but there are some awkward moments, platforming can be a pain and there are a lot of difficulty spikes and instant deaths. Still, it's good.
  • Deleted user 10 March 2013 13:27:27
    I remember the sense of scale in the first game blew me away.

You really got vertigo from the massive caverns etc.
  • Syrette 10 Mar 2013 13:29:39 44,208 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:What I object to is the childish hyperbole and a total lack of objectiveness.
    What objectiveness should he be referring to? All I see are opinions being shared.

Unless you think it's factual that the voice acting is better in Uncharted?

• Deleted user 10 March 2013 13:30:54
    What I thought tbh.
  • Deleted user 10 March 2013 13:36:05
    Nope, still opinion.
  • Deleted user 10 March 2013 13:38:14
    Maybe so
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 10 Mar 2013 13:43:58 2,456 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Goodfella wrote:What I object to is the childish hyperbole and a total lack of objectiveness.
    What objectiveness should he be referring to? All I see are opinions being shared.

Unless you think it's factual that the voice acting is better in Uncharted?
    I know I can rant a lot and be aggressive, but thanks for reading my posts correctly. Its not a fact that the voice acting is better than Uncharted, it's my opinion. Which is fully entitled to be viewed as wrong by everyone else if they so wish.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• Derblington 10 Mar 2013 13:43:59 22,272 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's pretty much fact that Uncharted is excellent in terms of it's voicework, acting and cutscenes, along with graphics, polish and set pieces.

You don't have to like to like it, but in comparison to the rest of the medium it is highly regarded. If you can't grasp that it's on you.

It's like saying WoW is a shit MMO. You don't have to like the game to recognise it's status amongst MMOs.

edit: this wasn't aimed at DDB, that was just awkward timing on the post.

Edited by Derblington at 13:44:57 10-03-2013
  • Deleted user 10 March 2013 13:49:24
    Still opinion, just that there are more respected and qualified ones. Doesn't stop it being a subjective topic.
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 10 Mar 2013 13:50:24 2,456 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I disagree. I can say WoW is wank if I don't like it. It's not a fact that it nor Uncharted are excellent games, that's an opinion. The fact that its highly regarded is a fact. The point of whether it's good or not is subjective and therefore opinion. Fair enough it's well put together, but I still disliked it.
    I never said Uncharted wasn't highly regarded or was more unliked than liked.

• Daddy-Doom-Bar 10 Mar 2013 13:51:16 2,456 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Still opinion, just that there are more respected and qualified ones. Doesn't stop it being a subjective topic.
    Like I said, my opinion can be wrong in as many eyes as as want. But it's still a correct opinion to me.

• Daddy-Doom-Bar 10 Mar 2013 13:53:29 2,456 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    @Derblington

Exactly what I'm trying to get across.

Uncharted isn't "wank" (hence my hyperbole comment), it just doesn't deserve that kind of description, Aliens Colonial Marines is "wank".

Just say you don't like Uncharted, that's all.
    I can say whatever I like about it, thanks. If you don't like the way I put things (which I admit can be extreme sometimes)...er, fuck off?

• Deleted user 10 March 2013 13:54:09
    I wouldn't know tbh, I fuck the cutscenes off tbh; they bore me :D.
  • RyanDS 10 Mar 2013 13:54:24 9,829 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Got this yesterday and played until 2am, then this morning got up and played another few hours.

It is rather good, and I was right to discard the EG review as wank.

Anyway, my thoughts so far...

It is Tomb Uncharted. Which, given Uncharted 2 is my game of the generation, is a great thing.
    It looks fantastic.
    I like the characters.
    Gameplay is good.

However... despite this being a 9/10 game so far I feel it isn't really Tomb Raider. Every time I hit a tomb and the game starts including puzzles I get all nostalgic and get tempted to load up Tomb Raider Anniversary or Underworld to get some puzzle action.

So conflicted. A fantastic game, but it really is the demise of classic Tomb Raider and I would like to see more of the old style puzzle ones.
  • jkrodal 10 Mar 2013 17:02:23 155 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    khaz wrote:
    I'm sorry, what?

You mean the same woman who says I can't so this and then proceeds to headshot scores of men in between each cutscene?
    Does she really do a lot of headshots in cutscenes? I'm mostly in control when she does. If you want realism you could shoot them in other bodyparts I guess, or even better, get offed by the first enemy you encounter. Lara's hardly the first videogame character beating impossible odds.
  • khaz 10 Mar 2013 17:32:25 2,826 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Umm, that's what I meant. :D

On the one hand she spends most of the "story" being this vulnerable thing but then you proceed to headshot scores of baddies without a second thought and you get another cutscene where she's still debating her hardiness.

It has nothing to do with realism. It's a story and setting which aren't supported in the slightest with the mechanics of the game. They're contrarian for the most part.

Edited by khaz at 17:33:32 10-03-2013
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 10 Mar 2013 17:37:29 2,456 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    She does shout 'leave me alone' before she proceeds to fire at the first lot of enemies she fights. And they are trying to kill her all the time.
    What do you expect her to do?

• Humperfunk 10 Mar 2013 17:37:59 2,488 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just finished with over 75% of collectibles so far.

Fucking brilliant game. It's the second week of March and between this, DmC and Ni No Kuni, probably the best start to a year in gaming I can remember. Astonishing stuff, well done Crystal Dynamics.

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• MrTomFTW Moderator 10 Mar 2013 17:41:55 39,735 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    khaz wrote:
    ...she spends most of the "story" being this vulnerable thing...
    We must be playing different games. In my game, she starts as a vulnerable young girl, but over the course of the game she matures into a strong, if inexperienced, leader responsible not only for her life but the lives of her colleagues. Where I'm up to I don't think "vulnerable thing" would be an accurate description of Lara Croft in or out of cutscenes.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Syrette 10 Mar 2013 17:42:10 44,208 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This khaz guy loves to moan. I think he's the one who called Ac3 "one of the worst games of all time".

Edited by Syrette at 17:42:24 10-03-2013

• khaz 10 Mar 2013 17:46:59 2,826 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Daddy-Doom-Bar wrote:
    She does shout 'leave me alone' before she proceeds to fire at the first lot of enemies she fights. And they are trying to kill her all the time.
    What do you expect her to do?
    Not have her portrayed as a vulnerable and soft individual who's afraid of getting her hands dirty when she's clearly nothing of the sort.

I don't see why the story couldn't simply have had Lara realising her situation is insane and the only way out is to get stuck in with maniacs. It would certainly feel a lot more plausible with her move set and skills.

Ultimately, this is all speculation and I'll wait for the inevitable sequel to see where they take Lara but for now I've given upon the game. Might come back to it in short bursts over the next few months.
  • khaz 10 Mar 2013 17:48:58 2,826 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    This khaz guy loves to moan. I think he's the one who called Ac3 "one of the worst games of all time".
    I see your flippancy and irritating factor travels across threads. I called it the worst of the AC games. Especially after the excellent second game and Brotherhood. Revelation and 3 were bloaty disappointments.
  • Stranded87 10 Mar 2013 17:49:21 1,003 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Her character definitely evolves, though it happens entirely too quickly. Regardless of how emotionally/mentally strong or even ruthless she becomes though I still don't buy that she would be the unstoppable force that she actually is during gameplay and it's annoying because imo she doesn't need to be an unstoppable force, they just needed to tone down the number of enemies but make them tougher/Lara weaker.
  • Page

of 78 First / Last