• freedumb 10 Mar 2013 06:51:46 1,110 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Stranded87 10 Mar 2013 09:35:28 882 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Glad I'm not alone thinking the voice acting is poor. It's not 'slightly' better in Uncharted either. Uncharted, no matter how you feel about the gameplay is produced to near perfection cinematically. The acting is some of the best, if not the best (and the writing), I've witnessed in a game.
    The acting in Uncharted is some of the best but I don't equate that just to the voice acting, I think the graphics, animation and mo-cap all contribute to the overall performance. So just in terms of voice acting I still don't think it's that much worse in Tomb Raider- and certainly if you forget about Uncharted and just compare it to most other games, surely it stands up pretty well?

The writing in Uncharted isn't even close to the best writing in any game imo- Planescape Torment, The Walking Dead, The Last Express and plenty of others trump it imo- though it is well above average. Except for the third game, which is a state and brings the average series quality down to almost within TR's reach.
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 10 Mar 2013 09:35:50 2,433 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    jamesi wrote:
    Never understood fuss about uncharted it bored the hell out of me.The characters and game in general were just so well...dull.
    Glad to hear i'm not alone. Be careful though, you're not really allowed to dislike Uncharted round these parts. Its fashionable to like it, see.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• Gambit1977 10 Mar 2013 09:50:24 9,583 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Daddy-Doom-Bar wrote:
    jamesi wrote:
    Never understood fuss about uncharted it bored the hell out of me.The characters and game in general were just so well...dull.
    Glad to hear i'm not alone. Be careful though, you're not really allowed to dislike Uncharted round these parts. Its fashionable to like it, see.
    This thread seems to suggest the opposite in fairness. I can't see why anyone would dislike either but then I'm not take best at understanding anyone :lol:
  • Gambit1977 10 Mar 2013 09:52:47 9,583 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    To put it into the movie blockbuster context, I'd say Uncharted is Indiana Jones, TR is Apocalypto.
  • StaffyDog 10 Mar 2013 09:56:15 255 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Uncharted is the flagship game of the PS3, like Halo is for the 360 so both will be defended to the death. ;-)
  • King_Edward 10 Mar 2013 10:00:05 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Uncharted is light years ahead of anything else in terms of its cinematics. It's not so much about the writing, but the way they work with actors to develop characters. Naughty Dog see actors as creative people too, not just tools for a director. Having their own mocap studio helps a lot, as it allows them to spend as much time with the actors as they need. That's why Nate, Chloe and Elena come across as being so much more human than we're used to in games.
  • Dr.Haggard 10 Mar 2013 10:21:56 4,148 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Daddy-Doom-Bar wrote:
    Be careful though, you're not really allowed to dislike Uncharted round these parts. Its fashionable to like it, see.
    Good grief.
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 10 Mar 2013 10:29:11 2,433 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You know what? Its not worth it. Ignored.

Anyway, back on topic....
    Played a bit more last night. I can kinda see where people are saying it doesnt quite know where or how to end. Turned it on thinking I was going to finish it and its still going...
    Not that that's a bad thing neccessarily. Just hope it doesnt start to outstay its welcome.
    Still getting new weapons and skills to try out and the setting has changed, so its not getting boring.

Edited by Daddy-Doom-Bar at 10:35:16 10-03-2013

• Dr.Haggard 10 Mar 2013 10:31:22 4,148 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Daddy-Doom-Bar wrote:
    Where's the lack of objectiveness?
    Daddy-Doom-Bar wrote:
    Its fashionable to like it, see.
  • creepylizard 10 Mar 2013 10:36:59 786 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Woah. Shit just got real on the Tomb Raider thread...
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 10 Mar 2013 10:37:23 2,433 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    Daddy-Doom-Bar wrote:
    Where's the lack of objectiveness?
    Daddy-Doom-Bar wrote:
    Its fashionable to like it, see.
    Now you're just nit picking. ;)

• Daddy-Doom-Bar 10 Mar 2013 10:37:58 2,433 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Post deleted

• Deckard1 10 Mar 2013 10:52:42 27,570 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Way to spend the weekend guys.

Hush you ponce

• Mr-Brett 10 Mar 2013 11:12:28 12,743 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Way to spend the weekend guys.
    It's only just begun...

/ominous music

Portable view - Never forget.

• Deleted user 10 March 2013 11:12:54
    King_Edward wrote:
    Uncharted is light years ahead of anything else in terms of its cinematics. It's not so much about the writing, but the way they work with actors to develop characters. Naughty Dog see actors as creative people too, not just tools for a director. Having their own mocap studio helps a lot, as it allows them to spend as much time with the actors as they need. That's why Nate, Chloe and Elena come across as being so much more human than we're used to in games.
    The UC acting is terrific, i agree with the other poster, it is light years ahead of anything i seen on a console. La Noire was interesting approach, but still utterly lifeless, the same with heavy rain as well, although theres moments where it does cross the belieavable barrier. I know the UC models are slightly cartoonish compared to them too, but it feels way more 'human' than any other game i played.

Also, in general the set pieces as well are really well designed. I havn't seen that many blockbusters of late, but the last bit in UC3 - With the Rushing sand and moving platforms really impressed me. I havn't really seen anything like that before. Of course you get basic scenes like that, but the whole way they rotate and how the camera pulls you into the action is really impressive. That bit generally wowed me.

Anyway. Glad people are really enjoying this. My sister got the collectors edition with lara figurine and all! Been holding out on getting this till a price drop, but the temptation to get this later on is increasing! starting to crack! Everyone on my FL is playing this.
  • Deleted user 10 March 2013 11:23:00
    Uncharted 2 is one of my favourite games this gen. TR is up there with it

Tbh, can't understand how gamers don't like both, if you're a fan of that genre.

Be nice to see a sequel on the next gen to see how it progresses.

Fantastic game and a great foundation to build on.
  • Maturin 10 Mar 2013 11:34:20 2,929 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    NeverEatYellowSnow wrote:
    Tbh, can't understand how gamers don't like both, if you're a fan of that genre.
    I think quite a few people didn't want TR to be part of that genre.
  • Deleted user 10 March 2013 11:39:32
    Maturin wrote:
    True. I understand that. I've still enjoyed it though.

I'm sure someone said earlier in the thread that the story is set before the original games so maybe it can evolve into something closer to the first games.

I wouldn't complain either way.
  • Maturin 10 Mar 2013 11:45:38 2,929 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm about a third of the way in and I'm mostly enjoying it. At least the shooting is well made this time around, but I'd prefer there to be less of it.

I like the vertical exploration. I wish there was more of it - such as the radio tower I mentioned earlier.

It looks pretty good on my PC - but not as good as Crysis 3.

It's a good solid game and I like the Lara character. It definitely has real potential to be a good new beginning for the franchise. I hope the inevitable sequel has more vertigo inducing moments and fewer horde-mode sections.

It does feel like Tomb Raider to me. There are enough touches from the old games to feel some family resemblance.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 10 Mar 2013 12:07:04 6,654 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think they probably couldn't have made a game like the old Tomb Raider because it looks like all the environments have been crafted manually.

The old game used uniform blocks and animations so could build much more clockwork like puzzles with a lot less man power.

Also, how can you be objective, there is only subjective points of view. Otherwise we wouldn't need democratic processes to circumvent that human nature is to be a dick?
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 10 Mar 2013 12:14:10 2,433 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    I think that could be part of why a lot of people aren't liking it. It depends on how you're looking at it. If you wanted more of the old TR, then you're going to be dissapointed. If you're the sort of person that can take each game as it comes and not expect anything, then you will like it for what it is.

• Daddy-Doom-Bar 10 Mar 2013 12:17:16 2,433 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Maturin wrote:It does feel like Tomb Raider to me. There are enough touches from the old games to feel some family resemblance.
    I think they've done a great job of making it like the originals without being tethered to it.

It's a great beginning, but I wonder how good a sequel would be without the whole shy girl turns badass plot? It's been great to see her grow from a 'I can't do this' to a 'I can do this and fuck everyone up' woman through the game.

• khaz 10 Mar 2013 13:01:20 2,771 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm sorry, what?

You mean the same woman who says I can't so this and then proceeds to headshot scores of men in between each cutscene?
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 10 Mar 2013 13:03:22 6,654 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    :D
  • Fozzie_bear 10 Mar 2013 13:03:33 15,498 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OTHER PEOPLE'S OPINIONS ABOUT VIDEOGAMES MAKE ME ANGRY!

RAAAAAAH!

HEAR ME ROAR!

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Page

of 77 First / Last