Ryu ga Gotoku 4 (Yakuza 4) Page 2

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• uiruki 24 Feb 2010 22:53:31 3,704 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sargulesh wrote:
    Link to web copy?

None that I know of. I'm keeping well away from most of the internet this week as I plan to play Heavy Rain on Friday.

edit: I'll summarise it, though.

4 characters, each with their own fighting style and heat moves. Each character has their own sub missions. New 'tenkei' moves, each of the 4 guys learn their own.
    There are more fight intros for the street fights. You can get help from the crowd.
    Running battles (the worst part of 3) have been improved - you see characters throwing items at the guys they're chasing.
    You consult masters to learn new moves, and can also train up your own fighter to fight in the cage.
    The detective character gets arrest missions over the radio.
    Lots of sub games - at least 16. Most of them you can now play with the hostesses. There are some pretty racy ones like massages and hot springs. Everything else has been upgraded - karaokes now have duets, mahjong has new animations when you are about to win etc, and so on. Table tennis!
    Pachinko has been added with real machines - including a Virtua Fighter one.
    Hostess clubs have been boosted too - you can have two girls at once, they wear the presents you give them. The hostess training has many more new items, and you can now select to talk to them, too - you couldn't in the third.
    Many more sub missions seem to have cutscenes.
    You can now go in some impressively rendered underground and rooftop sections, and the ground level has been fleshed out with extra alleyways and more real life company tieups.

and

A FUCKING CHAINSAW.
  • sargulesh 24 Feb 2010 22:56:07 3,281 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I read a Heavy Rain spoiler in the fkn White Knight Chronicles review comments :(

Darth is Luke's father.
  • uiruki 24 Feb 2010 23:06:14 3,704 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Edited the post above with a good few things from the video. It's fucking insane how much they've added - unbelievable that it's only 13 months after the previous one. Nuff respeck to Nagoshi on his work - assuming it stays as high quality as previous instalments.
  • Deleted user 24 February 2010 23:08:00
    sargulesh wrote:
    I read a Heavy Rain spoiler in the fkn White Knight Chronicles review comments :(

Darth is Luke's father.
    Someone said its not true. Cheer up :) The RPGs are coming.
  • uiruki 24 Feb 2010 23:19:08 3,704 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hopefully I'll have this, this time next month. Still thinking of adding something else to the order though - anyone got any ideas? I'm thinking Hokuto Musou but I'm not delaying this arriving one second more than I have to.
  • Deleted user 24 February 2010 23:23:45
    PSP Uiruki? If so, I've heard good things about God Hand. Also, I'm presuming you have Kenzen and 3D Dot heroes.
  • uiruki 24 Feb 2010 23:40:12 3,704 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nah, I don't enjoy playing games on portable consoles. I prefer fiddling with my phone or reading ebooks when on a commute. I got Kenzan when it came out - my favourite of the series. 3D Dot Game Heroes I'm waiting on, because I don't get on so well with Zelda-type games. I can always get Hokuto in an order with something extravagant like that SSF4 limited edition.
  • Deleted user 24 February 2010 23:42:49
    With all this RPG chatter, how did Magna Carter turn out?

Edit: Ar Tonelico 3!!!
  • uiruki 24 Feb 2010 23:47:17 3,704 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    spartancog117 wrote:
    With all this RPG chatter, how did Magna Carter turn out?

Edit: Ar Tonelico 3!!!

Magna Carta is a bit of a joke on the Japanese blogs. Ar Tonelico 3 I was going to get, but the music put me off. Since it's an integral part of the game, it just totally turned me off.
  • uiruki 26 Feb 2010 22:08:34 3,704 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Quick check of PSN says that a demo of this is coming on the 5th.
  • sargulesh 26 Feb 2010 22:19:30 3,281 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah but does it have the hoste... oh why bother
  • uiruki 5 Mar 2010 07:22:20 3,704 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Demo is up on the Japanese PSN. Just in time for me to go to work!
  • Deleted user 5 March 2010 12:09:19
    Cool, I'll give it a download.
  • uiruki 5 Mar 2010 20:13:23 3,704 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh man, this is really good. The demo's just the first part of the first chapter of the game, so you can play without fear of spoilers, too. Literally everything is improved from the third game.

Shun Akiyama is one crazy-ass loan shark, I'll say that for sure!
  • Deleted user 5 March 2010 21:16:25
    uiruki wrote:
    Oh man, this is really good. The demo's just the first part of the first chapter of the game, so you can play without fear of spoilers, too. Literally everything is improved from the third game.

Shun Akiyama is one crazy-ass loan shark, I'll say that for sure!

Ui , as much as i respect your opinion , what exactly "is improved" ?

Sorry mate but this still looks like an early 2006-era game , jaggie-tastic , blur-o-vision ahoy...

Now, before you jump onto me , let me say that i like the yakuza series and i'm willing to "defend" it , the button-mashy violent combat and (apparently) good story is still there , thing is , technically-wise i was extremely disappointed by the demo , this fucking game should be running at 60 fps with the almost non-existant ultra low-res texture work , awful , awful jaggies and a blurry display like someone's smeared vaseline onto the screen...

It's like these mofos can't code for shite or they lack the proper funds to produce something better - honest opinion here...

I could excuse the 3rd one as it was their 1st try on the PS3 system (or was it Kenzan?) but this , being the 3rd game now on the PS3 just looks really dated , now , seeing as they're keep churning sequels , it means that the games are selling , right ? Why is it then that they look so outdated ? It's a disgrace...

I am going to buy the 3rd one and this one too (when it will eventually come out) , the fact remains though that tech-wise they should be much better...
  • Deleted user 5 March 2010 21:18:37
    disc wrote:
    I don't see one mention of the gameplay in your post klem.

Maybe because it's a completely tech-related one ? :)
  • Hunam 5 Mar 2010 21:19:06 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disc wrote:
    You folks better buy Yakuza 3... that's all.

Maybe if they do some sort of gold edition where the put the other half of the game back, I'll considering parting some cash for it.
  • Deleted user 5 March 2010 21:24:53
    Oh Klem. You sure do get worked up about your graficks. ;-)

You'll be as bad as Darren soon.
  • uiruki 5 Mar 2010 21:52:34 3,704 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, graphically it is much better. For a start, it is raining throughout the demo, lots of reflections everywhere. Not sure where you're getting blurry textures from when practically every shop has multiple high res textures unique to it - look at the movie poster outside of the cinema. Depending on the section, there's even a bit of antialiasing.

Crowds are one area where stuff has been beefed up too - one thing that's really cool is the way that the crowd now surges forward and back depending on where the fighters are, so they can get a better look.

In terms of 60fps bits, they do exist - there's Boxcellios 2, the UFO catcher bits run at 60 (though the camera moves at 30, unusually) and the table tennis game runs at 60, too.

Also, how can you talk shit about a game where Dreams Dreams plays in the convenience stores? :p
  • Deleted user 5 March 2010 21:59:30
    Eddy-the-Ed wrote:

Ah , c'mon Eddy , it's nothing like that :)

Seriously now , liking something is one thing , being objective is another , wouldn't you agree?
    Just because we like something doesn't mean that we should not also be critical of its shortcomings - 'tis my opinion
    at least...

I like the game , i like its atmosphere , its bad-ass characters , the easy button-mashy combat (Cappy's gonna throw a fit) and nicely delivered story , not everything it does though is "sublime" or even "very good" , the graphics part is one of them in my opinion...

Also , the term "Videogame" is a compound , the "video" part is equally important , otherwise we would still be playing on our snes/megadrive etc , no ? =D
  • Deleted user 6 March 2010 00:24:36
    klem578 wrote:
    Eddy-the-Ed wrote:

the easy button-mashy combat

I don't think we're playing the same game.
  • Deleted user 6 March 2010 02:53:22
    disc wrote:
    Have you ever played a Yakuza game? The combat is just the opposite of button mashing.

No , i'm just writing bullshit to impress all of you...

Maybe you're indeed too old mate (and therefore can only play niche games) if you think that there's any depth in its combat , same goes for you Spartan xD

What's next Disc ? Demon's Souls more "complicated" that VF5 perhaps ?

Dunno man , 3D dot heroes , White Knight Chronicles , Demon's Souls , Valkyria Chronicles - we get it , niche is cool...

I'll have to remind you that you're not the only person that has been playing games for the past 20 or so years :)

• Deleted user 6 March 2010 08:55:18
    klem578 wrote:
    disc wrote:
    Have you ever played a Yakuza game? The combat is just the opposite of button mashing.

Dunno man , 3D dot heroes , White Knight Chronicles , Demon's Souls , Valkyria Chronicles - we get it , niche is cool...

You missed Katamari ... anyhoo, its nothing to do with niche games being cool, its the fact all of the above (maybe not WKC) are all very unique experiences and bold in their decisions (a rarity in this modern day of gaming).

I honestly find it puzzling why you believe the combat in Yakuza is button mashy. I'm not saying you can't button mash, you can button mash in every game, but from experience in Yakuza button mashing will not get you far. I hope you realise that Hokuto Masou will present with some degree of button mashing ... its a Dynasty Warriors game at the end of the day.
  • Deleted user 6 March 2010 12:18:16
    Played the start of the demo. I quit by accident trying to invert the X axis. I don't what was going on at the start but it looked cool. Great character model, and a much improved running animation.

But what the hell? where's Kiryu?
  • uiruki 6 Mar 2010 12:24:47 3,704 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Eddy-the-Ed wrote:
    Played the start of the demo. I quit by accident trying to invert the X axis. I don't what was going on at the start but it looked cool. Great character model, and a much improved running animation.

But what the hell? where's Kiryu?

The story is about 4 characters, each of whom is legendary in their own regard. Try the battle mode demo, you get to try all four characters in battle. My favourite's the cop (Sugiuchi?) who is pretty brutal with his throws and counters.
  • Deleted user 6 March 2010 12:27:49
    Cheers.

I guess I'm getting Yakuza 3 after all. Have to do what I can to make sure Y4 makes it over here. Just a quick go and I'm already lusting.

/drools
  • Deleted user 6 March 2010 18:49:51
    YaY!
  • Deleted user 10 March 2010 18:38:29
    Scored 38/40 in Famitsu. By comparison Yakuza 3 scored ... 37/40. :)
  • Deleted user 10 March 2010 19:34:00
    FFXIII - 39/40 :-)
  • Page

of 11 First / Last