What's America's problem? Page 184

• Page

of 185 First / Last

• PazJohnMitch 24 Jul 2014 13:37:26 8,723 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To torture the guy.

No big picture, just someone going for a bit of extra vengeance.
  • President_Weasel 24 Jul 2014 14:08:57 9,656 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's not on purpose, they've just got a weird mental block about executions. They try to use "modern" (i.e. 1950's modern) methods like dugs and electrocution so it feels less barbaric, and make shocked noises about other countries using methods like machine gunning; it's almost like if they make it technological enough it won't really be as if they're killing someone.

The best, most humane, methods of execution are definitely not the ones used in America. Long drop hanging, a competent firing squad, machine gunning, beheading, a competent executioner putting 2 bullets in the back of the head, all of these are far quicker and therefore less painful and more humane than executions in America.

Far from convinced the state should have the power to legally murder anyone, but if they're going to do it they should damn well do it right, and not be weirdly squeamish about the methods and weirdly un-squeamish about the results of those methods. "look, it's in a special chamber! and we use three different injections of drugs! it's very modern! please ignore the gasping and grimacing as the prisoner dies slowly over several hours".
  • Feanor 24 Jul 2014 14:57:26 14,185 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Hate to piss on the argument but the armed forces are legally prohibited from operating inside the US. That is the job of the National Guard. Who are controlled by each state's govenor.
    I learned this from watching White House Down.
  • Mola_Ram 25 Jul 2014 02:00:44 8,253 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think the recent problems with lethal injections have been because of drug suppliers refusing to provide the needed ingredients because it violates the Hippocratic oath, or something like that. So they've had to go with untested, less reliable drugs.
  • Rodney 25 Jul 2014 03:10:04 1,921 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How hard can it really be to kill someone. How does America keep fucking this up?

I read somewhere a little while ago (around the time of the last fuck up execution a few weeks back) that America has lost the expertise to manufacture the drugs it use for lethal injection and EU suppliers are unable to sell them if they will be used for executions. Some death rowers appealed their execution because the state wouldn't disclose where it had sourced the chemicals being used.

I don't get it. Surely a massive dose of morphine would work quite well?
  • Sharzam 25 Jul 2014 08:27:50 3,351 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sure many ways to kill someone but Americans seem to think only certain ways are ethical. As if it makes a difference,  the end result is the same.

Shooting someone is bad but pumping them with untested drug cocktails is ok. Maybe because they don't want guns seen in a bad light?

Also drug companies are not supplying them because of an EU ruling.  No European company is allowed to help with executions.  If they could they would,  it is money after all.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• President_Weasel 25 Jul 2014 08:35:27 9,656 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I think the recent problems with lethal injections have been because of drug suppliers refusing to provide the needed ingredients because it violates the Hippocratic oath, or something like that. So they've had to go with untested, less reliable drugs.
    They've never been all that great, it still took a relatively long time for them to die even when they had the usual drugs.
  • Tom_Servo 25 Jul 2014 20:39:43 18,082 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Executioner Enters Lethal Injection Room With Bag From Home Depot
  • Tuffty 28 Jul 2014 15:39:32 1,746 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    America's handling of their own nuclear weapons is pretty...alarming

• SpaceMonkey77 29 Jul 2014 21:04:57 125 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think its simple really. The puritanical peeps over there believe in an eye for an eye, so long as they don't get their hands bloody or conscious tainted by removing an eye.

The death penalty I don't agree with unless its far clear cut worst spawn of hell type of people. It should be a last resort. If they are 101% sure about a person, they should make it quick and painless. Trouble is, if the sword of justice is to quickly picked up by the mob on media hyped wings, to strike and end a life, no one person wants to wield that sword and live with the consequences.

The trouble with executions is that when a person gets the death penalty and they were not guilty, which makes the whole thing look flawed and justice a blind joke. And in such cases, of killing an innocent person, who will stand up with the sword in hand, taking the blame.

In truth its easy to get it right, as it is to get it wrong.
  • drip 30 Jul 2014 00:46:54 4,637 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wherever there's judgement, there's misjudgement. And wherever there's power, there's abuse of power. Hence, giving someone the power to decide over someone else's life and death is demented.

And that's only the rational part, not even mentioning the morals.
  • FatSternKikwi 30 Jul 2014 02:03:14 662 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Tuffty

We are all going to die!

Due to negligence...
  • anephric 30 Jul 2014 08:58:12 378 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There are tonnes of ways to kill someone quickly and painlessly. Inhaling nitrogen or carbon monoxide, for a start (these are some of the ways pro-euthenasia people go).

They use nitrogen and other inert gases in slaughterhouses. I don't know why they labour over this so much in the US, it's obviously because they want there still to be some punitive factor involved.
  • Bremenacht 1 Aug 2014 14:49:04 19,647 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GOP sues the President for, errr... delaying the rollout of Obamacare.

Thomas Mann, a congressional expert at the non-partisan Brookings Institution think-tank, said the lawsuit had no legal standing, partly because it was not possible to demonstrate that the delays had caused any harm.

"I would say it's laughable but the more appropriate reaction is crying because it's so preposterous," he said. "This is just a diversionary tactic to try to appease those in the [Republican] party who've sipped the grape juice and come to believe the president is evil personified."
  • Khanivor 1 Aug 2014 15:01:08 41,239 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Next he will be impeached for the high crime of presidenting while black.
  • Salaman 1 Aug 2014 15:05:24 19,592 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SpaceMonkey77 wrote:
    makes the whole thing look flawed and justice a blind joke
    Lady justice is supposed to be blind! She wears that blindfold for exactly that reason.
  • whatfruit 1 Aug 2014 15:07:00 1,680 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    SpaceMonkey77 wrote:
    makes the whole thing look flawed and justice a blind joke
    Lady justice is supposed to be blind! She wears that blindfold for exactly that reason.
    which beg the question what kind of sick fuck gives a blind woman a sword as some scales?

bobomb wrote:
    so it's not really on her terms, it's on his terms, because she isn't real.

• Salaman 1 Aug 2014 15:09:25 19,592 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So that whole "utter any criticism on our president makes you unpatriotic" line no longer counts these days, then. :-)
  • RedSparrows 1 Aug 2014 15:12:41 24,156 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aye, funny how that little line vanished the moment a Republican left office.
  • Mola_Ram 1 Aug 2014 16:04:35 8,253 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Is it just me who doesn't find John Oliver all that funny? The laugh lines are definitely there in the video up the page, but I'm not really feeling the funny there.

But then I'm not really into Colbert either, so maybe it's just not my thing.
  • drip 15 Aug 2014 03:35:43 4,637 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I just learned that Land of the Free's prisoners-per-population ratio is only rivalled by North Korea, and its prisons host 25% of prisoners worldwide.

And while the economy lies in ruins, imprisonment costs Land of the Free $60 billion every year.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 03:45:36 15-08-2014
  • drip 15 Aug 2014 03:40:41 4,637 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Mola_Ram

While apparently not being a comedy genius, I had my laughs, and think he isn't bad. That said, most of my laughs came from the presented facts of course, not from his lines.

Anyway, he's certainly far better than German entertainers/hosts. Predictably.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 03:45:09 15-08-2014
  • drip 15 Aug 2014 03:51:06 4,637 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Or the crime of being president after being elected.
  • AwesomeWells 15 Aug 2014 05:16:17 463 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Somewhat relevant:

America is not for black people.
  • senso-ji 3 Sep 2014 15:51:52 6,040 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Words fail me:

https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/507199257456418816

Edit: Weird, Twitter seems to have moved the link. The new one above should work.

Edited by senso-ji at 20:31:33 03-09-2014
  • drip 3 Sep 2014 17:33:59 4,637 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @senso-ji

Twitter says that page doesn't exist

Edited by DrStrangelove at 17:34:10 03-09-2014
  • fletch7100 3 Sep 2014 17:56:00 7,446 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    http://news.sky.com/story/1329375/mysterious-fake-mobile-phone-towers-discovered
  • Dougs 5 Nov 2014 06:17:06 69,475 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Democrats are fucked then. Strange system if you ask me, God knows how anything ever gets done in Congress.
  • Mola_Ram 5 Nov 2014 06:57:52 8,253 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's not going to make much difference. The republicans already had congress, and getting the senate doesn't matter that much unless you have the numbers (60) to prevent filibusters.

But yeah, Obama not too popular right now. And a good part of that is his fault.
  • Khanivor 5 Nov 2014 12:35:25 41,239 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm thinking of moving back. This place is doomed
  • Page

of 185 First / Last