What's America's problem? Page 173

• Page

of 185 First / Last

• Khanivor 19 Dec 2013 00:15:05 41,299 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    12 hours will turn into tens of thousands of dollars for that fella.
  • Mola_Ram 19 Dec 2013 01:34:12 8,343 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I would happily get probed for cash.
  • DrStrangelove 19 Dec 2013 01:44:39 4,683 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Unless he's Mexican
  • Mola_Ram 19 Dec 2013 01:47:49 8,343 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    David Eckert doesn't sound like a particularly Mexican name.
  • DrStrangelove 19 Dec 2013 02:02:49 4,683 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    True, then he may just have hit the jackpot
  • DrStrangelove 19 Dec 2013 02:02:50 4,683 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Mola_Ram 19 Dec 2013 02:21:22 8,343 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    What, uh, happened to the last few pages here
  • Mola_Ram 19 Dec 2013 02:21:52 8,343 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh right, you ran into the delete post bug.
  • DrStrangelove 19 Dec 2013 02:26:33 4,683 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Had a double post even if I swear I did only clicked on "post a comment" once this time. Then deleted the doppelganger.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Dec 2013 10:46:30 8,343 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Duck Dynasty star suspended for offensive comments about gays, black people

Never even heard of the show before now. It seems like one of those "lol, look at those hillbillies" reality things, so one of them having these kinds of views does not exactly surprise me.
  • Tom_Servo 31 Dec 2013 12:22:00 18,082 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/one-third-of-americans-believe-god-guided-the-evolution-of-human-life-9031494.html
  • Deleted user 31 December 2013 12:24:02
    That's actually a lower number than I'd previously read. I'm sure I read it was well over 50% that believe in creationism in the US.
  • Deleted user 31 December 2013 12:26:57
    Wonder what the percentage is in other countries.
  • Tom_Servo 31 Dec 2013 12:29:07 18,082 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Wonder what the percentage is in other countries.
    A few years old now, but here you go.
  • FWB 31 Dec 2013 12:31:01 45,664 posts
    Seen 1 second
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good lecture on covering why we know evolution is true, but suggestions as to why people don't believe it.

http://youtu.be/CW9G2YVtBYc

He also rejects the notion of believing in god and evolution together, arguing that to do so suggests a lack of understanding as to what evolution is.

On a related note, saw a lecture recently on the problems of evolution, as in the faults it develops, creating parts which are certainly not "intelligently designed". Focused on the heart, eye and pelvis.

Edited by FWB at 12:37:25 31-12-2013
  • Deleted user 31 December 2013 12:36:33
    I don't necessarily have an issue with people not believing in evolution. It's just the best theory at this point. I do have an issue with people believing in creationism though.
  • LeoliansBro 31 Dec 2013 12:40:37 44,966 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    On a related note, saw a lecture recently on the problems of evolution, as in the faults it develops, creating parts which are certainly not "intelligently designed". Focused on the heart, eye and pelvis.
    Erm, intelligent design and evolution are polar opposites.

Edit: oh, I see what you mean. Epiglottis is another one.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 12:41:04 31-12-2013

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• FWB 31 Dec 2013 12:42:58 45,664 posts
    Seen 1 second
    Registered 13 years ago
    @LeoliansBro Perhaps I didn't make it clear in my post, but it was a lecture on why elements of evolution indicate that there is no intelligent designer. Imperfections in the heart,  eye and pelvis, as examples.
  • LeoliansBro 31 Dec 2013 12:45:47 44,966 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I got that on the second read through, sorry.

• mcmonkeyplc 31 Dec 2013 12:51:52 39,571 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What to say that the big bang wasn't created by a "god" and everything else that followed is just random?

I don't agree that you can't believe in god and understand science. They're not mutually exclusive, in my opinion.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• LeoliansBro 31 Dec 2013 13:00:10 44,966 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Learned the other week that the Big Bang as we all envisage it is completely wrong.

It comes down to the fact that the 'universe' means two things. There is the 'observable universe' which is everything we can see, limited by the distance light can travel in the however-many billions of years since TBB (4.6?) and the 'actual universe' which is infinite.

The Big Bang was a sudden dilation of the actual universe. At that time it was still infinite, just everything was compressed much closer together, and it underwent a stupendous expansion. The confusion comes from the point that the 'observable universe' was compressed to a very small point, but it wasn't surrounded by nothingness or void, but by the rest of the universe that is just beyond our current view.

• LeoliansBro 31 Dec 2013 13:03:59 44,966 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    What to say that the big bang wasn't created by a "god" and everything else that followed is just random?

I don't agree that you can't believe in god and understand science. They're not mutually exclusive, in my opinion.
    Depends what you mean by God.

If you mean 'God' as shorthand for 'the thing that kicked everything off' then you're in the same camp as Einstein, and pretty much applying an arbitrary label for the purposes of semantics.

If you mean 'God' as 'someone who continually meddles and is omnipotent and also your invisible best friend' then we have zero evidence for it.

• FWB 31 Dec 2013 13:14:56 45,664 posts
    Seen 1 second
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think the important question is when all of these observations and their applications will provide us with hoverboards
  • RyanDS 31 Dec 2013 13:18:18 9,861 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:

You can't beleive in a personal god, or a God that has any effect other than being the prime mover, and understand science.

God can only really be reconciled with science if he is the prime mover / creator or he is entirely hands off.
  • mcmonkeyplc 31 Dec 2013 13:21:00 39,571 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:

Depends what you mean by God.

If you mean 'God' as shorthand for 'the thing that kicked everything off' then you're in the same camp as Einstein, and pretty much applying an arbitrary label for the purposes of semantics.

If you mean 'God' as 'someone who continually meddles and is omnipotent and also your invisible best friend' then we have zero evidence for it.
    The first is what I mean. Then again maybe it does influence something on a tiny scale as well but we have no evidence for it like you said. We may also be being observed. I hate that theory :S

• LeoliansBro 31 Dec 2013 13:21:50 44,966 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The only real remaining legitimate room for 'God' is that the Standard Model is just that, a model.

It is one explanation that happens to fit all the facts, including the ones that were proven after it had been written down. We could just as easily say everything happens because 'God chooses it to', but so far it does seem that a lot of it is automatic, predictable and without this external intervention.

• Deleted user 31 December 2013 13:24:32
    I hate that argument though. It's like saying "I believe we can breath orange juice, but that's because I've chosen to use "orange juice" as my word for oxygen".
  • mcmonkeyplc 31 Dec 2013 13:25:06 39,571 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah but maybe it doesn't need external intervention. Maybe it's created for some purpose (like the hologram theory). Fucked if I know.

All I know is he's called the Stig.

• Page

of 185 First / Last